• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A friend of mine is having trouble with AC2 (xbox).

She has stealth assassinate and high-profile assassinate but they only work on one person at any time. Apparently, if two people are close together then you're supposed to be able to get them both at the same time but she can't figure out how.

Any suggestions?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
err, I have 2 codex pages I wanted translated but I have no idea where leonardo lives.

I'm not seeing any icons on the map except the usual. Where does he live?

edit:
I tried turning off all markers except core memory ones (which is suppised to include Leonardo). Not seeing him.

OmonRa

Halycon said:
A friend of mine is having trouble with AC2 (xbox).

She has Stealth Assassinate and high-profile assassinate but they only work on one person at any time. Apparently, if two people are close together then you're supposed to be able to get them both at the same time but she can't figure out how.

Any suggestions?

Does she have the double hidden blade equipped?

damn I hate being such a graphics whore, I would go with the 360 if it really is that much better but every time I turn the 360 on it sounds like someone is trying to start a lawn mower. I can't have another 360 break down on me.

hopefully IGN releases a Head 2 Head video

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Nemesis556 said:
Okay, so a bit of a weird question, but Lucy is missing a finger in AC1 which obviously signifies she was an Assassin too.

However, Ezio is missing none and this is explained in pre-release interviews as DaVinci creating him a blade that didn't require a finger to be missing.

So, um, why is Lucy missing a finger?

She probably did not have the creation that DaVinci came up with.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
slayn said:
err, I have 2 codex pages I wanted translated but I have no idea where leonardo lives.

I'm not seeing any icons on the map except the usual. Where does he live?

edit:
I tried turning off all markers except core memory ones (which is suppised to include Leonardo). Not seeing him.

Worry about it later, he won't show up until you get story-driven Codex pages.

JdFoX187

Banned
Just got into the game and man it really is fun. It's improved everything that I hated about Assassin's Creed, which isn't much. I can't wait to double dip on the PC for smooth 60 FPS. This is handedly my GotY. And the Ezio statue is fucking huge. It's better than my Big Daddy statue.

OmonRa

Loudninja said:

In AC1, Lucy is not flashing you a missing finger. She is bending her finger down to signify she is an Assassin. Her boobs can be distracting in the shot in the "previously on" video. Look super close and you'll see it. It wouldn't make a ton of sense for a secret society to have such a not-so-secret tell. Also if you
read one of the Codex pages, you'll get some insight into why this change was put in place

Loudninja

OmonRa said:
In AC1, Lucy is not flashing you a missing finger. She is bending her finger down to signify she is an Assassin. Her boobs can be distracting in the shot in the "previously on" video. Look super close and you'll see it. It wouldn't make a ton of sense for a secret society to have such a not-so-secret tell. Also if you
read one of the Codex pages, you'll get some insight into why this change was put in place

Did not know this, interesting.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So... here are my thoughts on the files from Subject 16 (The Truth)

After seeing the entire video

Major Spoilers - Probably shouldn't read if you haven't seen the video or beaten the game and don't want to be spoiled

The two are obviously the Adam and Eve of the Assassins Creed Universe. But I would have to think, didn't Minerva say that her race created humans? If this is the case I'm thinking that the silhouette holding the Piece of Eden is one of the people like Minerva, and that's why the other humans are working for it/her/him/whatever their race is.

Like Minerva said to Ezio (or in reality Desmond) the humans and their race, let's just call it Race X, went to war but Race X lost?

This video seems to be a prelude to that war that Minerva mentioned. Adam and Eve, the first creations of Race X seem to be escaping some kind of workshop, labor force, or whatever, and get a hold of a piece of Eden. This is how they become to level Race X in power, and eventually win the war, even though there were some of race X left, like Minerva said

MechaX

Alright GAF. I finished Prince of Persia (360) only an hour ago, and a friend allowed me to borrow Assassin's Creed II. I'm starting it up now, hoping that this game can restore my faith in Ubisoft just as quickly as Prince of Persia broke it. That, and I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I've never played the first one.

Edit: I just cannot escape Nolan North/Nathan Drake/The "Prince"/Shadow Complex Guy/Vossler/Now AC guy. I just can't.

MechaX said:
Alright GAF. I finished Prince of Persia (360) only an hour ago, and a friend allowed me to borrow Assassin's Creed II. I'm starting it up now, hoping that this game can restore my faith in Ubisoft just as quickly as Prince of Persia broke it.

Am I the only one who enjoyed POP (360)?

i-Lo

I have to say that I am both appalled and confused with the video reviews from sites like IGN, GS and GT.

None of the reviews mentioned anything about the consistent screen-tearing (omfg) which singlehandedly can detract from the free flowing experience. Also, there was little emphasis on how obvious the object pop-ins and shadow draw-ins were.

In the videos of the game released so far (gameplay) I have not seen any other game that suffers from this much screen tearing.

Sure, I can understand that the graphics, while being stand still look drop dead gorgeous for most parts. However, I am not looking to play with a set of still images.

I am certain that had it been any other game they would have ripped it to pieces in the review.

After reading this, I really don't know whether it was financial incentives or threat that made the reviewers completely miss something that OBVIOUS: http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml

Please understand that I mean no disrespect to the graphical designers who have poured their heart and soul into the game (hence the incredible authenticity), however, it clearly looks like the game could have used much more optimization.

Lastly, all I will say is that I don't know if I should buy the game. Vid Reviews don't mention the horrendous screen tearing and yet vids show otherwise. So, are we really getting objective reviews?

MechaX

Ken Masters said:

Probably not. I can definitely understand people liking the game. Hell, I liked it a lot when it first started. But fighting each boss commonly 6 times with no real progression in the platforming, combined with an ending (and epilogue) that actually, really pissed me off, well... I tried to come in with an open mind.

Nemesis_

Ken Masters said:
While I acknowledge the game had a lot of faults, there was a lot of stuff done great. Character interaction, environments and the whole general feel of the game were amazing.

So yeah, you're not the only one. =)

MechaX said:
Probably not. I can definitely understand people liking the game. Hell, I liked it a lot when it first started. But fighting each boss commonly 6 times with no real progression in the platforming, combined with an ending (and epilogue) that actually, really pissed me off, well... I tried to come in with an open mind.

the repeated boss were the worst parts (by far) in the game, but overall I enjoyed the beauty of the game and just traveling through it

Father_Brain said:
Well, I see what Parish meant when he described the ending as Dan Brown writing Xenogears... o_O
So does that mean I should quit half way through and not experience the entire game being buried in a pile of shit at the end?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Lostconfused said:
So does that mean I should quit half way through and not experience the entire game being buried in a pile of shit at the end?

Semi-spoiler...

It makes good for AC3. It just becomes more than what you expect.

EzLink

Banned
Here's something I don't understand... why is the basic beginning plot for desmond to
get "trained" as an assassin through the animus when he already experienced life as an assassin in the first game. Wouldn't he have learned how to do it from that?

I never beat the first game though so maybe there's something in there that clarifies

aegies

aryanr said:
I have to say that I am both appalled and confused with the video reviews from sites like IGN, GS and GT.

None of the reviews mentioned anything about the consistent screen-tearing (omfg) which singlehandedly can detract from the free flowing experience. Also, there was little emphasis on how obvious the object pop-ins and shadow draw-ins were.

In the videos of the game released so far (gameplay) I have not seen any other game that suffers from this much screen tearing.

Sure, I can understand that the graphics, while being stand still look drop dead gorgeous for most parts. However, I am not looking to play with a set of still images.

I am certain that had it been any other game they would have ripped it to pieces in the review.

After reading this, I really don't know whether it was financial incentives or threat that made the reviewers completely miss something that OBVIOUS: http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml

Please understand that I mean no disrespect to the graphical designers who have poured their heart and soul into the game (hence the incredible authenticity), however, it clearly looks like the game could have used much more optimization.

Lastly, all I will say is that I don't know if I should buy the game. Vid Reviews don't mention the horrendous screen tearing and yet vids show otherwise. So, are we really getting objective reviews?

There was very little screen tearing on my playthrough, in marked contrast to the first game. It was important enough for me to mention in my review.

jett said:
I cave in and bought the PS3 version. . . Right off the bat I'm almost regretting my purchase. The framerate is so-so. . . One of the developers here said the PS3 was treated as the lead console. Bollocks to that I say.

It's a good generation to be a multi console owner, 360 gets my pick as usual.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
EzLink said:
Here's something I don't understand... why is the basic beginning plot for desmond to
get "trained" as an assassin through the animus when he already experienced life as an assassin in the first game. Wouldn't he have learned how to do it from that?

I never beat the first game though so maybe there's something in there that clarifies

He does not retain all skills learned, they were just looking for information from memories.

And AC2 spoilers...

In Animus 2.0, he retains the skills from Ezio, and by the end he does have those Assassin skills you mention

OmonRa

EzLink said:

Desmond actually asks Lucy a similar question. So she'll answer it for you.

Loudninja

Black_Ice said:
He does not retain all skills learned, they were just looking for information from memories.

And AC2 spoilers...

In Animus 2.0, he retains the skills from Ezio, and by the end he does have those Assassin skills you mention
Well he did have eagle vision at the end of AC1

i-Lo

aegies said:
There was very little screen tearing on my playthrough, in marked contrast to the first game. It was important enough for me to mention in my review.

In "your" review? I am sorry, but I am unaware as to which review outlet you represent.

Anyways, I want to know whether it's the same situation for both PS3 and 360 version or does one suffer more than other?

If one is better than other with regards to screen tearing and framerate drops (significantly, like Fallout 3 for example) then which version should I go for (since whatever vids I have come across are of 360. And now I have seen the PS3 version in the reviews as well. They both look to have a ton screen tearing; from the sections that were shown).

I have both the consoles so I'd hate to be misled.

On a side note, I did not play the first one, however, given how well PoP performed on both PS3 and 360 performed, I can't help but feel like UbiSoft's eyes were bigger than their stomachs.

DrBo42

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe my memory is bad but the character models look bad in AC2...
Model detail has taken a bit of a dive from the first game. The faces were never great in AC1, but the most noticeable difference is the detail of clothing.

OmonRa

Loudninja said:
Well he did have eagle vision at the end of AC1

Yeah but that's a passive power versus the other skills which are far more active. Plus it took him like a week in the machine just to pick up a passive ability so in THEORY if he spent several weeks/months in the Animus he might eventually pick up more active skills. But Lucy's in a rush.

DrBo42

Black_Ice said:
Didn't he have it throughout most of the game? Not just the end?
Desmond? Not that I remember. Well, you'd have dreams in Eagle Vision and see the stuff written in blood above your bed, but he couldn't actually control it until the end.

Loudninja

OmonRa said:
Yeah but that's a passive power versus the other skills which are far more active. Plus it took him like a week in the machine just to pick up a passive ability so in THEORY if he spent several weeks/months in the Animus he might eventually pick up more active skills. But Lucy's in a rush.

True he gets 30 years worth of knowledge in a short time

Black_Ice said:
Didn't he have it throughout most of the game? Not just the end?

No not Desmond.

OmonRa

Loudninja said:
True he gets 30 years worth of knowledge in a short time

No not Desmond.

And he's actually DOING the training in this game - you literally play through learning, practicing, and training - whereas in AC1 Altair already "knew" it all. It's reasonable, no? Also eagle vision does sort of go off in AC1 when Desmond is falling asleep. He catches glimpses of Subject 16's symbols. It's like his body is processing the talent.

Loudninja

OmonRa said:
And he's actually DOING the training in this game - you literally play through learning, practicing, and training - whereas in AC1 Altair already "knew" it all. It's reasonable, no?

Yeah you learning as he is learning,but i doubt Desmond will use swords ;)

VegaShinra

I hated the first game.The first was too boring and the combat was weak for my taste. Everything was too slow. Is this game better overall that it'll keep me interested this time around?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'll give you the repetition. The actual controls were so much fun though. It's such a stark contrast between the two, but I guess I need to adjust back into AC mode.

Top Bottom