• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

i-Lo

brandonh83 said:
shame that it was an overall mediocre game with just as much repetition as AC1.

I don't remember following the same sit down, beat the hobo and kill the target procedure for all targets in inFAMOUS.

Personally, I think it may be a figment of my imagination, but I can't exactly recall any repetitive process apart from killing respawning enemies ( a godsend sometimes to complete stunts )

Then again, we are all entitled to our opinions no matter how u****e it may be.

infamous had more things to do I guess, but for me it just got really old, really fast. I didn't enjoy fighting multiple groups of 40 thugs every time I turned down a new block and the mission variety-- though it offered more, I suppose, than AC1, it was still kept to a minimal and extremely, extremely boring to me, as were collecting all those blast shards. which is why I didn't. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like the controls in AC2. I don't know why people don't like them. It's very intuitive once you realize that the buttons are mapped to body parts (triangle = head, Square = left hand, Circle = Right hand, X = feet). Combat, navigation, etc., are all working in that framework.

And too many people think you have to hold X while climbing buildings.

My hype just went up to 11 after reading the reviews. It's just too bad that me and my friends are addicted to MW2. Every time I turn on my 360 I get a game invite. To top it off I still have to get the God of War collection, Demons Souls, L4D 2, and Dragon Age before the real wallet raping begins in 2010.

bardia

god damn this game is awesome, took me away from MW2. But, is it just me, or is the volume for this game low as hell? I have it set to max but I still have to turn my receiver up to really high compared to what it normally is at.

Dead

well not really...yet
Grecco said:
Are the facial animations weird when you talk to people or is it just me?
At the very least, Lucys mouth is WAY too wide and just looks strange when she talks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The facial animation and some of the finer extremities are animated all wrong. It's like our lovely heroes don't have enough motor neurons.

DrBo42

bardia said:
god damn this game is awesome, took me away from MW2. But, is it just me, or is the volume for this game low as hell? I have it set to max but I still have to turn my receiver up to really high compared to what it normally is at.
Same. I have my receiver set to something like 22-24 usually and that's reasonably loud for all my games. I have to set it to 36 just to hear dialog in AC2.

The only thing I wish was different about this sequel was that I would have liked it to have the same climbing mechanics as inFamous. I don't know why but I prefer inFamous climbing much more- AC series just feels weird to me.

I just started playing and man do the character models look dated. I also thought the lip sync looked odd as well. I really hated the first one due to the repetition and the lack of need to go stealth or make any effort on the assassinations, so I hope they fixed it here. It's still too early for me to say. However, I was just in Florence, Italy about two months ago, so I've got a big ass grin exploring it here and recognizing stuff I saw in real life and knowing how to navigate cuz I walked through the streets.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
What's the deal with the locations that have an eye on them?

I didn't catch the game's explanation of what that means or why it is important.

unrelated, I'm loving the game faaaar more than AC1. Kind of amazed at the improvement that was possible thus far.

OmonRa

slayn said:
What's the deal with the locations that have an eye on them?

I didn't catch the game's explanation of what that means or why it is important.

It means there's a glyph on the building. Scan it with eagle vision and it'll trigger ... something.

I haven't been able to play much yet, (just beat DNA Sequence 2) but already I am in love.
The controls are so slick and the missions are already starting to vary. Can't wait to play more. I'm going to have a nice 4 hour binge tomorrow night. Weeeee!

But it's strange the change from the "real world" and Florence. The graphics and animation on Miles and Lucy are so shitty whereas Florence is so beautiful and well-done.

Well done Ubi.

brandonh83 said:
shame that it was an overall mediocre game with just as much repetition as AC1.

been saying this for a while...even got flamed for it. not mediocre imo, but ac1 has almost the same "circle of missions" structure as infamous. people trashed one and praised the other...

anyway if you at least saw the potential in ac1 you will like this one. everything you do has purpose in the story now. theres not much i can say that hasnt been said but its a good game. not close to uncharted 2...or 1 for that matter but still good

i have a couple complaints but really petty ones...like i think
npc's should react when you throw a dead body in the middle of their huddle.
and the lip syncing seems off.

i really like the animation. i thought the sequence when
the guard was kicking davinci around was pretty impressive on that front. that guard really looked like a douchebag

so yea...overall id say this is a safe buy

Grecco

Y2Kev said:
The facial animation and some of the finer extremities are animated all wrong. It's like our lovely heroes don't have enough motor neurons.

Ok so im not crazy and its not my copy. I had to get some feathers for ezios brother and his eyes suddenly became very large it caught me off guard for a sec. :lol

Damn... this game rocks. I'm loving it a lot. The story and gameplay are miles ahead of the first game's so far. My only regret is I bought it from EB Games. Paid 70 bucks for it. I didn't realize Wal-Mart and Future Shop had it for 58-59 bucks. I will not make that mistake again, gonna buy from Future Shop in the future.

I have a question about those underground quests... I'm only about four hours into it, but I'll put in spoiler tags:

So, I guess to unlock the Altair armour, I have to go through these six underground quests, right? Do you have to go out of your way to find them, or are they unveiled as I progress through the storyline?

Y2Kev

God, this is kind of dumb. I can't believe they have these data entries in the codex or whatever but don't actually have a "point me to this building" on the map feature. I'm going to need to look at a map of 15th century florence now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Damn... this game rocks. I'm loving it a lot. The story and gameplay are miles ahead of the first game's so far. My only regret is I bought it from EB Games. Paid 70 bucks for it. I didn't realize Wal-Mart and Future Shop had it for 58-59 bucks. I will not make that mistake again, gonna buy from Future Shop in the future.

I have a question about those underground quests... I'm only about four hours into it, but I'll put in spoiler tags:

So, I guess to unlock the Altair armour, I have to go through these six underground quests, right? Do you have to go out of your way to find them, or are they unveiled as I progress through the storyline?

They're revealed on the map as the storyline progresses. They're easy to find.

DrBo42

Y2Kev said:
God, this is kind of dumb. I can't believe they have these data entries in the codex or whatever but don't actually have a "point me to this building" on the map feature. I'm going to need to look at a map of 15th century florence now.
If you go to the locations section you can see what the building looks like. Climb up to a viewpoint and try to find out where it is. It's not an outrageous request, the landmarks stick out pretty well. Do you need everything marked on your map?

Y2Kev

DrBo42 said:
If you go to the locations section you can see what the building looks like. Climb up to a viewpoint and try to find out where it is. It's not an outrageous request, the landmarks stick out pretty well. Do you need everything marked on your map?
Yes, I would like it marked on my map if I want it marked on my map. Is that an outrageous request? It is difficult for me to get a clear look at some of the 200x300 blurry jpgs they use in the database.

DrBo42

Y2Kev said:
Yes, I would like it marked on my map if I want it marked on my map. Is that an outrageous request?
Yes. It's a bonus storyline, meant to be discovered. Assuming that's what you're referring to.

Zzoram

Edeuinu said:
Got it, played 2.5 hours, love it. But MAN Uncharted 2 still has me spoiled with a lot of things.

I traded in Uncharted 2 and ODST to get Assassin's Creed 2. I'm not a fan of AC2, but it's covered by gaming guarantee (return within a week for full refund in credit, EB Canada). I consider it a free rental.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Y2Kev said:
Yes, I would like it marked on my map if I want it marked on my map. Is that an outrageous request? It is difficult for me to get a clear look at some of the 200x300 blurry jpgs they use in the database.
You know what I did for the handful of buildings I couldn't track down based on the crummy in-game images? I used Google Maps. They're all real landmarks that still stand today, placed correctly in rather accurate (if not quite to scale) recreations of real cities. It worked perfectly.

Agent X

I've played about an hour and a half so far, and this seems like a winner so far. It's visually beautiful, even more so than the first Assassin's Creed game (which still looks great even 2 years after its release). The characters seem livelier as well.

Y2Kev

ToastyFrog said:
You know what I did for the handful of buildings I couldn't track down based on the crummy in-game images? I used Google Maps. They're all real landmarks that still stand today, placed correctly in rather accurate (if not quite to scale) recreations of real cities. It worked perfectly.
Thanks, Toasty. That's what I've been working with so far (well, not google maps, but internet maps). They're not even sorted by city in the database, I believe. Outside of what I know (yeah, Il Duomo is in Florence) from school, I have to google many of the buildings anyway.

MechaX

Played it for around 2 hours and I didn't even realize it. It was a case of "I'll try one more mission before quitting" type of affair that lasted for about an hour of game-time. With that under consideration, I'm finding the game rather fun right now. Leaping across the rooftops so gracefully always gives me the impression that I'm Batman (on a side note, I do need to pick up Arkham Asylum). This is definitely a far cry from the rather sluggish form of Altair from waiting friends play the first one some times. Speaking of which...

I actually kinda feel for Ezio. I'm not extremely far into the game and while his stuff has been rather standard stuff, I actually give a damn about the character and his situation.

Besides the little glitches here and there (nothing compared to a Bethesda game, however), my main complaint is that the characters look hideous up close. I mean really, really bad.

Y2Kev

Wow, absolutely fabulous. Just scaled the catacomb level inside
the duomo.
True platforming action. I actually gasped out loud when Ezio made one of his jumps. Really fantastic level. I encourage everyone to try it.

Talon

Ken Masters said:
Am I the only one who enjoyed POP (360)?
Naw. It was a heavily flawed game mechanically, but I really enjoyed the music and visuals. The auto-pilot gameplay sort of made it easier to enjoy your surroundings.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Y2Kev said:
Thanks, Toasty. That's what I've been working with so far (well, not google maps, but internet maps). They're not even sorted by city in the database, I believe. Outside of what I know (yeah, Il Duomo is in Florence) from school, I have to google many of the buildings anyway.
They are sorted by city in the database.

Man they pushed me over the edge with that review (after Gametrailers almost completely turned me off with their's)...went and bought it on Amazon with my $10 gift card I got from NSMBWii

Really looking forward it after never having finished AC1. I went ahead and read the Wiki/watched the ending on YouTube

Y2Kev

Blimblim said:
They are sorted by city in the database.
Does it actually say, though, which belongs to which city? Or is it just up to you to find where one city stops and one starts? I didn't look super closely but I did scan for it and I did not see it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Y2Kev said:
Does it actually say, though, which belongs to which city? Or is it just up to you to find where one city stops and one starts? I didn't look super closely but I did scan for it and I did not see it.
In the database you can have a monuments (or something like that) option where you can see all the big landmarks sorted by city, and the ones with the red eye are instantly visible.

jett

D-Member
infinityBCRT said:
Thats also the PC version... I'm pretty sure the PC version of AC2 will look much better than consoles as theres a ton of pop in on the 360 version, something which shouldn't be there on the PC version if they do it right.

Come on, the character models in the PC and console versions of AC1 are identical. The characters in AC2 just look a hell of a lot more cartoon-ish and less realistic than they did in the first game. There's no detail to their skin at all, they have that porcelain look of japanese rpgs. :p

squicken

A really good game. Coming off Uncharted 2 and MW2, I really dig the open-world stuff.

Also, thank you MyCheats for the assists on the fucking glyphs.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Terrordactyl said:
About 5 hours in, only real gripe is that I want more Desmond, it seems like you never leave the animus this time wtf?
You do leave it, twice. Each time is quite interesting too.

jett said:
The characters in AC2 just look a hell of a lot more cartoon-ish and less realistic than they did in the first game. There's no detail to their skin at all, they have that porcelain look of japanese rpgs. :p
I think it varies depending on the character. Lucy looks terrible. Desmond/Ezio looks great, the main baddie (fat guy in the black cloak) looks great as well, but there are a bunch of characters in between which are quite low poly.

Also if I remember correctly, didn't AC1 not have many cutscenes? If I remember, most of the cutscenes were just over Altair's shoulder so you didn't really get a good look at the faces. When I played AC1 I remember thinking that outside of the 3 people in the animus lab and Altair, AC1 had quite low poly faces for this gen (or at least it seemed that way since they never zoomed in).

Top Bottom