• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Zapages

Quick question guys:

DLC maps*Hopeful* + Amazon AC2 game for 51 dollars = good buy? + ICO *later buy for 30 dollars*

or should I get the CE for 80 dollars? with no ICO...

Or wait till price drop.

I really enjoyed AC 1. AC 2 looks amazing from what I've seen?

ZAnimus

Zapages said:
Quick question guys:

DLC maps*Hopeful* + Amazon AC2 game for 51 dollars = good buy? + ICO *later buy for 30 dollars*

or should I get the CE for 80 dollars? with no ICO...

Or wait till price drop.

I really enjoyed AC 1. AC 2 looks amazing from what I've seen?
I don't think any deal which results in the exclusion of ICO is a good deal :) Plus the bonus content will be DLC at some point -- didn't Patrice expressly say that he wants everyone to be able to have all the content?

Solo

TheExecutive said:
Locked FPS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> variable FPS

Thats what I said :lol Im already picturing the PS3 version soaring to 60FPS for interior environments, and crawling to sub 20 FPS in outdoor ones.

As a PS3 AND 360 owner, Im going with the 360 version, because a) I own the original on 360, and Im a continuity whore, b) it looks to be the superior console version again, and c) the last 7 games Ive purchased were for PS3, so my 360 needs some love :D

BigFwoosh

My most anticipated game of the year, though most gaffers will scoff at me for admitting that. Now, if I could just get my Droid this month would be awesome.

I really liked the first one, but this time it will be a toss between AC2 and The Saboteur. I'll get the both, one will have to wait though :)

pr0cs

I'm excited to play the sequel, I just hope the AI in the sequel is better.

A scenario from AC1:

"Help help, won't someone help me!?"
/slash /slash /stab /stab
"thank you for helping me"
"Oh my! who killed all these people!?"

FrankT

Got a $100 Wal-Mart gift card incoming. I believe I'm going to put it on a copy even I have serious reservations from the first.

JudgeN

Solo said:
There is a guy who has been posting in these threads that works on the game. He says that the versions are identical this time, aside from the 360 version being locked at 30FPS, and the PS3 not being locked.

So,
360: locked 30FPS, no tearing.
PS3: no locked framerate (so you could see anything from 15FPS to 60FPS), and tearing.

What I dont get is why they would make this decision in the first place. Why not lock both versions?

JESUS, WHY DO THEY DO THIS. What developer "Ok" this kind of shit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Watched some of those videos posted on the previous page and am concerned in that it feels very similar to the original game. :( Racing through checkpoints? Really?

My main concern is that the game will once again be based on a series of "activities" as opposed to real mission design.

Fixed1979

dark10x said:
Watched some of those videos posted on the previous page and am concerned in that it feels very similar to the original game. :( Racing through checkpoints? Really?

My main concern is that the game will once again be based on a series of "activities" as opposed to real mission design.

Same fears here. I really liked to character control and movement in AC1 so I didn't mind the checkpoint missions. However I don't have any interest if in playing another AC if they are continuing with the same type of mission structure.

Fixed1979 said:
Same fears here. I really liked to character control and movement in AC1 so I didn't mind the checkpoint missions. However I don't have any interest if in playing another AC if they are continuing with the same type of mission structure.

Are you guys not reading the impressions? Looks like this is greatly improved.

Ranger X

Solo said:
There is a guy who has been posting in these threads that works on the game. He says that the versions are identical this time, aside from the 360 version being locked at 30FPS, and the PS3 not being locked.

So,
PS3: no locked framerate (so you could see anything from 15FPS to 60FPS), and tearing.

What I dont get is why they would make this decision in the first place. Why not lock both versions?

Believe it or not but locking the FPS does cost something just like V-sync does. The 360 version was probably running more stable and a tad over 30 fps so locking was a good option. For the PS3, the game was probably running at a more unstable FPS and locking it or V-syncing it would have slowed it down -- therefore you chose "smooth vs stable". I'm glad they chose "smooth". Also, I can bear with tearing and my catacomb levels will be smoother (it definetely goes way over 30fps in there).

JudgeN, read this ^^

Fixed1979

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Are you guys not reading the impressions? Looks like this is greatly improved.

I don't really want to get into a debate about AC mission structures as it's been beaten to death and possibly they've improved enough for me to complete a play through.

Honestly I've only read the OP and watched a couple of trailers so I'm not totaly informed about the changes they've made, but adding another 10 mission types and having them repeat in different orders doesn't really make me feel much better. If it's enough to hold my attention for a 22 hour play through then great, I'm just trying to not get my hopes up as I was disapointed by the first game.

Ranger X

Also to note that when you're locked 30fps you never go OVER but it's possible to go under if the game really can't keep up.
In the case of AC2 here, both version actually dip under 30fps to be honest. But nothing major.

The game runs alot more things, more textures, more AI, more whatever you name it and at the end of the day, both version are more comparable than AC1 was between 360 and PS3. You guys shouldn't worry.

JudgeN

Ranger X said:
Believe it or not but locking the FPS does cost something just like V-sync does. The 360 version was probably running more stable and a tad over 30 fps so locking was a good option. For the PS3, the game was probably running at a more unstable FPS and locking it or V-syncing it would have slowed it down -- therefore you chose "smooth vs stable". I'm glad they chose "smooth". Also, I can bear with tearing and my catacomb levels will be smoother (it definetely goes way over 30fps in there).

JudgeN, read this ^^

Rage decreasing :lol

Thanks for the reasoning.

Solo said:
Thats what I said :lol Im already picturing the PS3 version soaring to 60FPS for interior environments, and crawling to sub 20 FPS in outdoor ones.

As a PS3 AND 360 owner, Im going with the 360 version, because a) I own the original on 360, and Im a continuity whore, b) it looks to be the superior console version again, and c) the last 7 games Ive purchased were for PS3, so my 360 needs some love :D

Exactly the reason I am renting it for the 360.

Struct09

Thinking of spending my Amazon MW2 credit on this. Can't think of any other game I would blow it on...

EDIT: Previews read, pre-order placed. $30.99 :D

Sai-kun

Banned
Sweet OP. I'm in this thread so hard. :D *subscribe*

edit:

OmonRa said:
That's pretty much the first thing you get to do in AC2. :)

Fuck why did I read this. :lol :lol

I am so hyped for this game. I wish we could get the Black edition here in the US :( Ah well. I'll settle for the awesome statue. The AC1 statue was so lame :|

Choke on the Magic said:
I really want to run this on my PC. Anyone heard what the system requirements are?

My bad, thought this was the mw2 thread.

Anyways, the first one ran ok, was avg around 45fps with a GTX 260 at 1680x1050. This one looks a little better than the first but would expect performance to be about the same.

Wow, after watching some of those videos - it's insane to see how much has changed. It's like a different game in its structure/gameplay, but still feels like AC. So much more depth, ESPECIALLY in the combat and climbing. I would agree that it almost feels like an action rpg now, which I think is perfect for the series. I will say my only critique is that, it seems, some of the animations don't seem as smooth as the first game. Especially watching Ezio run, it's a bit awkward. Even so, what they've done with the franchise compared to the first makes up for these subtleties. I can't wait to play this one.

Zeliard

beelzebozo said:
it's like that scene in GHOSTBUSTERS where they take the puppy away from the little girl in the controlled environment.

you lock the framerate of one, and not the other. why?

just to see what happens.

:lol

Agent Ironside said:
My bad, thought this was the mw2 thread.

Anyways, the first one ran ok, was avg around 45fps with a GTX 260 at 1680x1050. This one looks a little better than the first but would expect performance to be about the same.

Which happens to be my card. Excellent. I assume X4 AA won't be an issue for it either?

Choke on the Magic said:
Which happens to be my card. Excellent. I assume X4 AA won't be an issue for it either?

TBH I cant remember if I forced AA or not, I know there was some advantage with dx10.1 on ATI cards when it came to AA performance. I think it was a hefty hit though when even on 2xaa.

Gotta say, after watching a good portion of those videos, I don't really like the character of Ezio. Yeah, the character in the first game was pretty much the silent type, but I kind of liked that. Ezio seems more colorful and while that may please some, it doesn't rub me the right way considering that I'm playing as an assassin. Of course, I need more context and to play the game myself before really deciding something like that, but I just don't care for him at all. Also don't like the running animation either. I really hope I change my mind about these things when I play it.

OmonRa

brandonh83 said:
Gotta say, after watching a good portion of those videos, I don't really like the character of Ezio. Yeah, the character in the first game was pretty much the silent type, but I kind of liked that. Ezio seems more colorful and while that may please some, it doesn't rub me the right way considering that I'm playing as an assassin. Of course, I need more context and to play the game myself before really deciding something like that, but I just don't care for him at all. Also don't like the running animation either. I really hope I change my mind about these things when I play it.

Except you're not playing as an Assassin. Initially...

OmonRa said:
Except you're not playing as an Assassin. Initially...

Like I said, context is important. I'm watching the videos and for some reason I just don't care much for Ezio but I could finish the game and declare him the greatest protagonist since Pac-Man, time will tell.

timkunedo said:
When does Part 2 of Lineage hit the web? Surely it's this week right?

Someone answer this question. edit: answered

Sweet OT OP.

So everyone is saying that the Dev diaries are not indicitive of the final product. Does that apply to the collision detection, it looks a little iffy. I'm pretty psyched for this game, wish it was AC2 coming in the mail today instead of MW2.

FYI the 20 dollar credit from MW2 cannot be used in conjunction with the 5 dollar AC2 promo code :(

Ken Masters said:
how well did the ps3 port turn out this time? They really fucked it up last time

See that is what's difficult. Much like the issues people had with The Orange Box on PS3, I never had issues with AC on the PS3. Though that's not to say that there weren't issues because, god knows, there were plenty.

Loudninja

TheChillyAcademic said:
Absolutely ridiculous.

Ranger X said:

JudgeN, read this ^^

Ranger X said:
Also to note that when you're locked 30fps you never go OVER but it's possible to go under if the game really can't keep up.
In the case of AC2 here, both version actually dip under 30fps to be honest. But nothing major.

The game runs alot more things, more textures, more AI, more whatever you name it and at the end of the day, both version are more comparable than AC1 was between 360 and PS3. You guys shouldn't worry.

The game's framerate is overall very smooth when simply walking around the city. Of course, when things get a little hectic and a bunch of guards are after you, it tends to slow down a bit but nothing too serious - at least nothing worse than in the previous game.

After four hours with Ezio, one thing is sure, I could have kept playing all day long. Assassin's Creed 2 seems to make up for all its big brother's mistake two years ago, while keeping all the original game's strength. The preview code ran very well, with very little aliasing considering the size of the screen, which is a good omen for the retail version. And well, even if the small pop-up and framerate issues I saw made it to the final game, I would not be any less excited about it. Not a bad sign, is it?

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_br_assassin_s_creed_2-8727_en.html

It's probably best to wait until DigitalFoundry or Lens of Truth does a proper comparison. Blimblim and others have already played the PS3 version and they don't really seem to have too many complaints about it. So it's definitely not a complete botch job like the original was. And the last two games to run on this engine were PoP and Shaun White, and both of those perform very similar on both platforms

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article?page=2

So there's probably not much to worry about with either version.

TheChillyAcademic said:
See that is what's difficult. Much like the issues people had with The Orange Box on PS3, I never had issues with AC on the PS3. Though that's not to
say that there weren't issues because, god knows, there were plenty.

I agree; though, playing both versions I noticed a difference in performance between the two, however it was not so utterly horrible that it was unplayable. Orange Box is definitely the epitome of bad PS3 port IMO. I'm not really at issue with the non-locked FPS for PS3, as it will be nice playing the indoor sequences at a higher framerate, if that happens. Even if you wanted to get a glimpse of the gameplay, there's the archived videos linked above. The game looks much more polished than the first, and much more thought put into the overall package. I am really please at this point, from what I've seen, so day one and personal impressions will only make the hype grow.

Don't write this one off, especially if you liked the first even a tiny bit.

MacBosse

When I was going this morning to pick up MW2 I saw a big poster in the subway (Stockholm, Sweden) going "Assassins Creed II - Out now!"

If only it would have been so ... but come to think of it, if I would have brought both MW2 and AC2 home today I would have lost my job.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Ken Masters said:
how well did the ps3 port turn out this time? They really fucked it up last time
The ps3 version got a lot more love from the beginning this time around, the emerging wisdom for a lot of studios is to lead with the ps3 version which doesnt gimp the 360 version, its a different way to approach development that works better with multiplat dev imo.

Ps3 version renders at full res, no downres on the textures,etc. The vram disparity between the consoles is non existent depending on how you do things in your engine.
You can store non 3d stuff like sound and animation data in vram now if you are coming up short on main ram with a couple tricks :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can I ask what locking at 30FPS means? I understand restricting the framerate to 30FPS to prevent tearing at higher framerates, but does locking at 30FPS mean something for the lowest framerate, and do you still see tearing at framerates lower than 30, or do you see stutter like a 24FPS movie on a 30Hz or 60Hz display. If I get the game, it will be on PC, so I am just interested.

Blader

brandonh83 said:

They're different characters and at different points in their lives. Altair was an experienced assassin, Ezio is just starting out as one (and he's not doing it out of tradition or business, like Altair).

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Play.com have stopped taking orders for the Black Edition for those thinking of getting it

MMaRsu

Banned
:lol @ all the quotes. Ordered and paid for, too bad it will cost me about 14 days of shipping ( hopefully less ). At least I'll have MW2/Borderlands/Tekken 6 to tide me over..

DeadGzuz

Banned
Solo said:

So,

Is that what he said or your interpretation?

"Locked" is not a technical term, what it implies is v-sync on and capped to 30. Which mean when the frame rate drops to 29fps internally, it will drop to 20fps on screen.

So how is the PS3 version different? Well it probably has v-sync off which means tearing or they used triple buffering like UC2 and it means you can render at any frame rate, 27, 32, etc and have zero tearing.

Top Bottom