• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

edgefusion

Oh my god Ezio's ass in those leather trousers he wears at the beginning, please Ubisoft let us select that outfit again at some point.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Y2Kev said:
I still think asscrud 2's music is really good, I just can't...remember any.

personally i think you're giving it too much credit. AC1 had a fantastic soundtrack. AC2? I'd almost be hard pressed to acknowledge it HAS a soundtrack - it's that invisible, boring... makes me really miss the chases from AC1 :<

jett

D-Member
Mana Sin said:
What are the chances that Cthulhu is involved? Probably nill. I really wish the Truth explained a little bit more of the creation stuff. We apparently didn't evolve, but being created by aliens seems to be odd as well...

Is it really odd? The idea that alien beings helped us evolve is not new in fiction. :p They didn't create us from nothing, In AC2 they grabbed the unevolved humanoids that were around when they arrived and made them better.

Mana Sin

jett said:
Is it really odd? The idea that alien beings helped us evolve is not new in fiction. :p They didn't create us from nothing, In AC2 they grabbed the unevolved humanoids that were around when they arrived and made them better.

So we're
domesticated apes
?
Pets
? //Depression grows//

jett

D-Member
Mana Sin said:
So we're
domesticated apes
?
Pets
? //Depression grows//

sad times

I still think asscrud 2's music is really good, I just can't...remember any.

DopeyFish said:
personally i think you're giving it too much credit. AC1 had a fantastic soundtrack. AC2? I'd almost be hard pressed to acknowledge it HAS a soundtrack - it's that invisible, boring... makes me really miss the chases from AC1 :<

Man, fuck civility. Buncha tasteless mongos. Ezio's theme is one of the best pieces of video game music ever.

Mifune

Mehmber
Revisiting Assassin's Creed (the first one) and holy shit is it frustrating. I close in to pickpocket some dude, a vagrant shoves me into a guard, and everyone draws their swords on me.

Plus in general the later portions of the game seem harder only because the guards are on higher alert and will come after you for anything. To hell with this.

I'll play AC2 without finishing the first one. I'm fine with that.

Need help. I'm stuck at the end.
I'm stuck in the room of my villa with all the other assassins. I'm at the codec wall. I have all 30 pieces and I've completed the map of the world. So what do I do now. Nothings happening and the game won't tell me what I'm suppose to do.

Concept17

Mifune said:
Revisiting Assassin's Creed (the first one) and holy shit is it frustrating. I close in to pickpocket some dude, a vagrant shoves me into a guard, and everyone draws their swords on me.

Plus in general the later portions of the game seem harder only because the guards are on higher alert and will come after you for anything. To hell with this.

I'll play AC2 without finishing the first one. I'm fine with that.

All you'll be missing is the badassness of Altair, really.

Ranger X

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm stuck in the room of my villa with all the other assassins. I'm at the codec wall. I have all 30 pieces and I've completed the map of the world. So what do I do now. Nothings happening and the game won't tell me what I'm suppose to do.

You need to place the pieces of codex in the board. If it's already done, you need to rotate them so it forms a map. (wich is actually the earth map)

jett

D-Member
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

There's a pedestal in front of the codec wall you need to activate. If that doesn't show up, maybe a piece of in the map isn't entirely right. :p

Sai-kun

Banned
edgefusion said:
Oh my god Ezio's ass in those leather trousers he wears at the beginning, please Ubisoft let us select that outfit again at some point.

Holy shit I almost forgot about this. :lol :lol :lol yes please.

Ranger X

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I've done that but nothings happening. I've checked all the pieces.

There must be still an error in the map pieces (there aren't really clear I know) because when your map is right, it triggers the next event.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Edit - Jesus, it was a piece that was wrong.
Do you still have the option to rotate pieces? If so, your map is not complete. If you can't rotate pieces, your map is done and there should be something to interact with in the middle of the room in front of the map.

kaskade

I love the game. I'm not rushing through, taking my time. I may be on memory sequence 7 or 8. I feel like I've been playing for maybe 15 hours. Not sure if there's a timer anywhere. It's so easy to get sidetracked when playing. Maybe I'll go do an assassination mission. Oh wait codec, let me go there. In the first AC I felt like enemies were meant to be avoided more than confronted. In this I have no problem going against 10 guards. AC2 does an amazing job of making me feel like a super badass without much effort. I will purposely use my fists so I can disarm a guard then stab him in the head with his own blade. I'm in no rush to finish the game. I'm loving every second of it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
It's pretty clear it's TEH ALIENZ, Minerva says something like "we just arrived here earlier"

Yeah, I thought they were aliens too. I mean, I thought that it had to be alien technology that they were refering to in AC1. But, for some reason, I wasn't so sure this time around. Look at what were doing with computers and AI. If were could create beings in our own image, or some such, wouldn't we? Yeah, it's pretty far out there.

I also believe they're aliens when I watch the cutscene at the end. When Minerva is speaking through Anzio to Desmond the pupils of her eyes are glowing. Could be that's the way the hologram projects her, or it could be the way is was in real life.

jett

D-Member
Heh, for fun times sneak behind someone with a hammer. Most brutal kill in the game.

I also believe they're aliens when I watch the cutscene at the end. When Minerva is speaking through Anzio to Desmond the pupils of her eyes are glowing. Could be that's the way the hologram projects her, or it could be the way is was in real life.

That actually raises more questions. How could she know who Desmond was? Probably more than just a recording, it was some sort of AI that recognizes the DNA strain Assassins have, and hacked the Animus signal. Or something. I have no idea really. How could they know that millions of years after their existence we would create a machine like the Animus to dive into this specific point in time? That was just weird.

Toski

Well I just beat the game, and I love it and hate it. The assasinations are weaker than in the first, the only target I was able to "stealth assasinate" was either Carlo or Emilio, the rest were fights to the death. Ezio is also a walking god when it comes to combat, if you have an upgraded medical pouch the game is too easy.

The good things is that there is a shit ton to do, I am going to go back and do the assasination missions and maybe some races. The ending though:
Are the artifacts going to shield the Earth from the Sun? Really? I thought Aliens invading Earth would be better.
It seems they are trying to link the AC story arc to Project Blue Beam.

Mana Sin

jett said:
Heh, for fun times sneak behind someone with a hammer. Most brutal kill in the game.

That actually raises more questions. How could she know who Desmond was? Probably more than just a recording, it was some sort of AI that recognizes the DNA strain Assassins have, and hacked the Animus signal. Or something. I have no idea really. How could they know that millions of years after their existence we would create a machine like the Animus to dive into this specific point in time? That was just weird.

Who says they aren't still out there... Watching from afar?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:

Couldn't agree more. It reminds me of the way Superman is able to talk (commune) with this parents in his fortress of solitude. LOL!

What really got me was that the Templars aren't even the real threat. Minerva says that they saw another flare coming again. They (alien and man) ceased their conflict with each other and worked together to prevent another catastrophy from happening. And for man to use the tech they left behind to stop it. Are the Templars even aware of the empending doom to come? Probably are, but want to stop it themselves and be able to control man. Sorta like having their cake and eat it too, I suppose.

Man, I just love these types of topics. :D

Toski

Vilix said:
Couldn't agree more. It reminds me of the way Superman is able to talk (commune) with this parents in his fortress of solitude. LOL!

What really got me was that the Templars aren't even the real threat. Minerva says that they saw another flare coming again. They (alien and man) ceased their conflict with each other and worked together to prevent another catastrophy from happening. And for man to use the tech they left behind to stop it. Are the Templars even aware of the empending doom to come? Probably are, but want to stop it themselves and be able to control man. Sorta like having their cake and eat it too, I suppose.

Man, I just love these types of topics. :D
Actually I think the Templars are ignorant to the "impending doom" that the hologram warned Desmond about. The Templars just want to bring in their New World Order. Look at this youtube link, it is probably what the Templars want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpT-gSSS54

Finally finished it. What a shit ending.
Aliens, the suns gonna blow, and no conclusion to Ezio's story arc. And whats worst of all. The game sets up for a Desmond sequel.
So if I take off the beginning and the end of the game, it would make it one of my favorites of the year.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just beat the PSP game at 100%. All sidequests done. All templar coins found. All accomplishments... accomplished.

Just sync'ed Bloodlines to ACII on the PS3.
On the PS3 side, the following have transferred:
25,080 florins (1.208 bronze templar coins, 65 silver templar coins, 13 gold templar coins)
Maria Thorpe's Longsword
Fredrick's Hammer
Mace of the Bull
Dark Oracle's Bone Dagger
Twins' Rapier
Bouchart's Blade

Since I've barely touched the PS3 game, this is what I see on the PSP:
7x Philosophical Codex
0x Hidden Blade Armor Codex (Altair can block with the Hidden Blade equipped).
0x Hidden Slim Blade Codex (Counterattacks do more damage. Increased Counter Kill skill).
0x Hidden Blade Gun Codex (Use Hidden Blade at medium range to fire Throwing Knives).

BioNut

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Finally finished it. What a shit ending.
Aliens, the suns gonna blow, and no conclusion to Ezio's story arc. And whats worst of all. The game sets up for a Desmond sequel.
So if I take off the beginning and the end of the game, it would make it one of my favorites of the year.

I thought the ending was pretty good
except for the cliche sun thing. I mean how many more people are going to rip off these wacko 2012 doom theories in literature.

I do like the alien thing though.

Having a degree in genetics and having done a lot of research into "the missing link" I am more and more convinced that humanity is either older than we think or came from somewhere else (that is if christians/other religions are not right). If we evolved (and I use that term loosely) from another species we should find A LOT of our missing links out there. Fact is there isn't one. Our existence is a complete mystery despite what big science says.

I would really like to know what the Templar motivations are though (in the game).
Subject 16 shows how they have been behind most of the wars and other stuff in the world. Do they just want to play god? Where they the ones that rebelled against these alien "creators"?

Also I take it Adam and Eve were two humans who escaped from an alien compound with a piece of Eden?

Is there any way to find feathers easier than just looking? do they ever show up on the mini-map?

and wow, this game is incredible. GOTY tied with or better than Infamous for me. Most improved sequel since ZoE2. Amazingly beautiful game; my jaw dropped when I got to
Venice
. I might rebuy this on PC in four months to see it without all the visual flaws of the 360 version.

Mana Sin

I think I rather dislike Ezio with
facial hair
. I think I'm near the end of the story now,
Found out tubby became the Pope. The final fight with him might just be a dream realized for me. Duking it out with the Pope in his home.

A question to those who bothered getting the feathers:
Is the sword reward any better than the Sword of Altair? Does the cape offer any benefits at all, aside from being a trophy/achievement requirement?

Sai-kun

Banned
Mana Sin said:
I think I rather dislike Ezio with
facial hair
. I think I'm near the end of the story now,
Found out tubby became the Pope. The final fight with him might just be a dream realized for me. Duking it out with the Pope in his home.

A question to those who bothered getting the feathers:
Is the sword reward any better than the Sword of Altair? Does the cape offer any benefits at all, aside from being a trophy/achievement requirement?

Makes you Notorious no matter what :)

I thought the ending was pretty good

See for me, I don't have any interest in the modern day storyline. But I really enjoyed Ezio's story arc.
If it was me writing the end. I would have removed all the the alien supernatural mumbo jumbo and just had Ezio killing the Pope to get his vengeance.

Screw you guys, RE5 was awesome. You guys must have played it by yourselves or something. Totally different game with another human...

Anyway... is the sword always right on the d-pad? Like is it possible to sheath your dagger or would you just draw your sword? I guess you can run or something. Just a small tiff.

Toski

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
See for me, I don't have any interest in the modern day storyline. But I really enjoyed Ezio's story arc.
If it was me writing the end. I would have removed all the the alien supernatural mumbo jumbo and just had Ezio killing the Pope to get his vengeance.
This is the same shit people said for the first game, both the modern day and past are needed. Desmond is going to stick a hidden blade through Vidic anyway, might as well embrace the modern day arc.

BioNut

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

The modern day stuff is what sets Assassins Creed apart though. Whether you like it or not it gives the story some depth and intrigue.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but some of the background music resembles stuff you hear on "Lost". Actually Assassin's Creed could have been written by JJ Abrams based on the plot.

The sun blowing up thing is lame as hell though. Even the magnetic pole shift is dumb considering it would take upwards of 3000 years for the poles to even disappear. Somebody at Ubisoft reads to many WooWoo websites.

Toski

BioNut said:
The modern day stuff is what sets Assassins Creed apart though. Whether you like it or not it gives the story some depth and intrigue.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but some of the background music resembles stuff you hear on "Lost". Actually Assassin's Creed could have been written by JJ Abrams based on the plot.

The sun blowing up thing is lame as hell though. Even the magnetic pole shift is dumb considering it would take upwards of 3000 years for the poles to even disappear. Somebody at Ubisoft reads to many WooWoo websites.
I think it was the poles shifting, not disapearing. I was thinking and the "alien" hologram at the end could be an Atlantian, and there are conspiracy theories saying that Atlantis was done in by a pole shift, and that if the poles shift again the geography of the Earth could change revealing it again. /tin foil hat

Snipes424

yay just got the platinum

4120893393_bf034f5a8d.jpg

I'm on a roll here, Uncharted 2, Ratchet ACiT, and AC2 all platinumed within a month :)

Mana Sin

:lol
Choked a bitch.

I'm done story-mode. Now the career of Ezio, Assassin For Hire, can begin.

Edit: Anyone else here hope that AC3 will start with
Ezio again to resolve his story? I feel really bad for him...

Sai

Man, the story of the
Ezio's ancestor, the guy who built the Auditore Villa
... Sad stuff. :(

MirageDwarf said:
You can see in DNA no. of feathers you've collected and total no. of feathers in each area.
Completely forgot about that. Thank you.

Linkzg said:
Is there any way to find feathers easier than just looking? do they ever show up on the mini-map?
Don't think so. Finding the Feathers is a lot less frustrating than finding all the flags in the first AC though, which were like three times as many throughout each city/district. They're also a lot more noticable than the flags were, 'specially during the night with Eagle Vision--Feathers on the rooftops of Florence were easy pickings!

Mana Sin

Is there a way to get back on the
flying
thingy? I neglected to
kick
a guard, and now I'm afraid I might be barred from getting that trophy unless I start a new save.

OmonRa

Vilix said:
Major spoilers.

True that. According to the game's story, Cain would have been the first real assassin. Dyciphering one of the glyphs shows the different painting of Cain killing Able

What I still don't understand is were the gods aliens or just a species of human that developed millions of years they created us?

You may consider the following statement as FACT and use it to adjust/confirm theories:

There are NO ALIENS IN ASSASSIN'S CREED.

ZeroRay

Just need one more codex page but I can't seem to find where it is on the map.

Will it show up on the map if I sync with a viewpoint or was it supposed to be there whether I sync up or not? Because I can't seem to locate it anywhere and I've searched all cities except the mountains. Don't tell me it's there. :lol

OmonRa

ZeroRay said:
Just need one more codex page but I can't seem to find where it is on the map.

Will it show up on the map if I find sync with a viewpoint or was it supposed to be there whether I sync up or not? Because I can't seem to locate it anywhere and I've searched all cities except the mountains. Don't tell me it's there. :lol

You will hit a certain point where they will appear on the map, regardless. I think...

ZeroRay

OmonRa said:
You will hit a certain point where they will appear on the map, regardless. I think...

Just
hit that point.
Maybe I just missed it since the map is so cluttered, looks like there's an an option to remove icons; gonna make things easier for me.

Miburou

I played the game a heck of a lot more these last two days, and it did get better, but still, the lack of any real challenge to me is a huge flaw. I did this mission where I have to protect someone on a boat from being attacked while they go from one point to another, and I fucked it up badly and still passed the mission. Seriously, what do you have to do to fail that, put down the controller and go make a sandwich?

You're just way too powerful, especially with all the upgrades and weapons and stuff you get, and the guards are just way too weak. Combine that with all the glowing shit (which you can't turn off) and hints and I rarely felt any tension while playing. Seeing as how AC1 was more challenging, I really feel like they toned everything down after some focus testing. A simple difficulty select option would've helped here.

It's a shame, really, because the game looks and sounds pretty damn good, and there's a ton of content in it (although the insane number of treasure chests is something I could do without, especially seeing as how 90% of them are in plain sight).

Snipes424 said:
yay just got the platinum

4120893393_bf034f5a8d.jpg

I'm on a roll here, Uncharted 2, Ratchet ACiT, and AC2 all platinumed within a month :)
oh man, that's hardcore. I have zero platinum trophy. I tried my best in Arkham Asylum but I got like 82% of trophies.

Top Bottom