• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the best part about the hand-to-hand combat is the ability to disarm your foes when you counter their attacks. I love that little incentive they give to make choosing hand-to-hand, an inherently weaker move-set, something that people will do often.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
jett said:
A LOT better. Not even the same. You actually have pretty cool punching combos instead of the same boring two-punches Altair had. You even have counter finishers for your fists, AND you can grab your opponents and either punch them, knee them or headbutt them. :p Oh yeah, most importantly, you can disarm your opponents and then hack them to death with their own weapons. Like a baus.

Wow... I was hoping just for a different combo or two but that sounds pretty cool.

snej

Neo Member
Rez said:
the best part about the hand-to-hand combat is the ability to disarm your foes when you counter their attacks. I love that little incentive they give to make choosing hand-to-hand, an inherently weaker move-set, something that people will do often.

I actually think switching to hand-to-hand and then disarming them is the most effective way to fight the brutes.

Lost and the Damned is my sandbox GOTY, but Neogaf hype has me wandering if AC2 will be even tastier. Still, I am sort of worried about this notoriously bad intro..

I am stuck at a really stupid place, please help.

I am in this weird
flashback kind of moment with Altair, I climbed up some tower after the one I was chasing entered it and closed the door. I'm on a balcony with a door and a hanging lamp above it but I don't have a clue how to progress now...
I can't jump on the lamp, nor climb up...what to do?!

If you want to know if you already passed this place, it is after the first time you exit the Animus.

I love how stylish combat moves are. When I'm surrounded by enemies, with proper timing of counter and evade in direction of attack, Ezio (or Altair) is one hit killing machine.

Razorskin said:
Spoiler that shit :(

Edit: Thanks, now I have to go do an hour of intense memory clearing. Jerk

I'm so sorry, I bolded it instead of spoilering. I fixed it in a second of 10 but in those seconds you saw it. Is not a really epic part or something luckily, but again, I'm so so sorry.

Razorskin

----- ------
Pizza Luigi said:
I'm so sorry, I bolded it instead of spoilering. I fixed it in a second of 10 but in those seconds you saw it. Is not a really epic part or something luckily, but again, I'm so so sorry.

It's ok I forgive you.

May the Father of Understanding guide you.

snej

Neo Member
Pizza Luigi said:

I am in this weird
flashback kind of moment with Altair, I climbed up some tower after the one I was chasing entered it and closed the door. I'm on a balcony with a door and a hanging lamp above it but I don't have a clue how to progress now...
I can't jump on the lamp, nor climb up...what to do?!

Keep trying. I think it´s a glitch and only got it due to sheer dumb luck when I jumped the wall and somehow ended up on the thing with the lamp.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the CG intro for the first time. That's so damn fine CG work.

theignoramus said:
Lost and the Damned is my sandbox GOTY, but Neogaf hype has me wandering if AC2 will be even tastier. Still, I am sort of worried about this notoriously bad intro..
the intro isn't... bad, per-se, it's just slow. the real game doesn't actually begin until maybe two or three hours in, at which point, you will probably be addicted.

painey

well I just beat it.. good, not great, not bad. better than 1 but theres so much they could and should improve on. The big assassinations are still weak as hell, theres still no real punishment for getting caught when you can climb a building and you have escaped, the real world story was better even if they did made Lucy look like a freak and that other womans voice acting was atrocious. Less repetition but the game felt padded, 3 huge cities filled with .. nothing. Money was handled poorly, you get too much too soon and idiotic treasure chests make looting bodies useless when it could have been much better. The achievements are much better this time too, I will probably 1000/1000 it if i can be arsed to find those feathers.. at least it beats 500 flags! I'll still get 3 and im hoping.. praying that this real world game offers a lot more.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jett, you really liked the music? I thought it was overall much more in the background than in the first game. AC1 had a superb score. I only really think I can remember the one theme with the guitar in it from ac2.

Rez said:
Actually that makes hand to hand the most powerful move set in the game. Because its much easier to disarm enemies than counter their attacks and an enemy without a weapon can be killed in 1 hit with anything other than a fist.

Y2Kev said:
Jett, you really liked the music? I thought it was overall much more in the background than in the first game. AC1 had a superb score. I only really think I can remember the one theme with the guitar in it from ac2.
Nah, I honestly think this is the soundtrack of the year. Reminds me of playing Quest for Glory 5 back in the day.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:

I love the music, I like it better than the AC1 score. Maybe you should replay AC1. :p That game has more atmospheric crap than proper music.

jett

D-Member
wonkyaddict said:
Anybody have a clue how to get the Sweeper achievement? I've got a spear and 5 dudes around me, but I don't know how to sweep them.

You have to buy that ability from the combat trainer in your villa.

Am I dreaming? Did Ubisoft deliver? I'm almost at the end of the game, and boy what a fucking ride it's been. Lets see.

Uncharted 2 releases and is the most Cinematic game I've EVER played and Assassin's Creed is so far above Creed 1 the two games shouldn't even be compared.

2009>>>>2007 Yes I fucking said it.

TacticalFox88 said:
Am I dreaming? Did Ubisoft deliver? I'm almost at the end of the game, and boy what a fucking ride it's been. Lets see.

Uncharted 2 releases and is the most Cinematic game I've EVER played and Assassin's Creed is so far above Creed 1 the two games shouldn't even be compared.

2009>>>>2007 Yes I fucking said it.
If Mass Effect 2 was this year, I'd say yeah, hands down.

d0c_zaius

jett said:
I love the music, I like it better than the AC1 score. Maybe you should replay AC1. :p That game has more atmospheric crap than proper music.

yea, if anything surprised me about AC2, it was the music. Sometimes it gave me the same vibes as Castlevania :SOTN

I'm only an hour or so in, but I'm already getting the sense that this is a more well rounded game than AC: 1. Much, much better characterization this time around, Altair's ego got so old after the first 10 minutes.:lol

Magni

OP has vids and scores, but that doesn't help me much, since AC the first did good in those two departments as well. So tell me NeoGAF, in what ways is this better than AC and why is it worth my time and money? No other games to buy this Christmas, so I was wondering if I would bite or wait for the other big hitters late winter/early spring.

Thanks for your replies =)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Animator said:
What a fucking amazing game. I just finished the carnivale mission in Venice and it was fuck amazing. Hats off to ubisoft.

I'm just past there and found that I started to feel the game is a real chore just before carnivale.. The fun of going and finding all of the lookout points and codex pieces has completely disappeared, I'm just leaving them there and dealing with no map. I'm gonna finish it up, but unfortunately unless something is about to change this game just ran out of gas on me. About the time I finished up the sixth of the (amazing) tombs and got the (pretty darned badass) Altair armor, I lost all desire to do anything else. I'm trying to speed through the main quest missions now, and I've only done one of each type of side mission throughout the entire game.

jett

D-Member
MagniHarvald said:
OP has vids and scores, but that doesn't help me much, since AC the first did good in those two departments as well. So tell me NeoGAF, in what ways is this better than AC and why is it worth my time and money? No other games to buy this Christmas, so I was wondering if I would bite or wait for the other big hitters late winter/early spring.

Thanks for your replies =)

First and foremost, the structure of the game is completely different. Think more about it now as an epic action adventure game, like Zelda or GTA. Game progresses in a very natural manner as the plot moves forward, story missions are massively different from one another, unlike AC1 where you do the same fucking thing 7 times throughout the game.

New/improved/changed from AC1 gameplay-wise:

-Expanded swordfighting combat system with the ability to disarm opponents and steal their weapons
-Expanded fisticuffs combat system with grappling mechanic
-Weapon, item, armor and clothing shops
-Many different weapons
-Customizable clothes
-You own a Villa, which you can fix and remodel. You will gain profit from this, which you can use to buy new weapons or armor
-A LOT of side missions/side quest independent from the story, and they're all fun to do unlike AC1
-Really, really awesome racing/free-running missions
-Notoriety system. Continuing doing insane actions will put guards more and more on alert. There are several ways to decrease your notoriety and return to an incognito status
-Grand Theft Gondola
-You can swim, lulz

MCD

I really love this game but HATE it when I fast travel and it freezes on the loading screen (360 version, installed), thankfully it auto saves right before that happens.

just a little more remaining and I will be done with it.

jett

D-Member
Okay...I unlocked the "Altair costume" from uplay...but where the hell is it?

Also, I only have the vanilla edition of AC2. Can someone tell me exactly what I'm missing from the Black and LE editions?

Nemesis_

Haven't had any technical hiccups so far except for some random weird audio distortions. Kinda strange too, but yeah, otherwise this is definitely my game of the year. I loved Uncharted 2 and Resi 5 and of course, Street Fighter 4, but to me this eclipses all of them in terms of great artistic direction, a brilliant soundtrack and some really satisfying gameplay. It's awesome that you can use your blades (hidden) in battle now too. Oh, and the music is much better than AC1. There's a lot more pieces, at least.

Ubisoft did really well on this one.

Oh and for those stuck in that little secret place,
Acre
just go to the far most balcony railing thingy and hold RT + press A. You should jump up and grasp the pole. It's fairly simply yet took me ages to work out. =P

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
FleckSplat said:
Does
Desmond ever exit the Animus? It's been several hours of gameplay and he's still in there.

Yes.

Only once so far, and I seem to be pretty darned near the end of the game. He's not nearly as prominent as the first game.

Ranger X

theignoramus said:
I'm only an hour or so in, but I'm already getting the sense that this is a more well rounded game than AC: 1. Much, much better characterization this time around, Altair's ego got so old after the first 10 minutes.:lol

See that you shouldn't have worried about "that intro"... ;)

Gribbix

jett said:
Okay...I unlocked the "Altair costume" from uplay...but where the hell is it?

Also, I only have the vanilla edition of AC2. Can someone tell me exactly what I'm missing from the Black and LE editions?

Pause the game and select Inventory, then select Outfits.

Speaking of UPlay bonuses, is there anyway to return to the Auditore Tomb once you've explored it? I think I missed a treasure chest in there and I'd like to reread the family history plaques. I tried returning to the entrance but I can't interact with the door. Likewise for the exit gate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh, this game is pissing me off with the free running. How the fuck to I am and time a jump so that my douchebag avatar/Enzio doesn't jump into a wall or decide to climb a wall or jump to his death?

I don't remember the races being this annoying in AC1, but then again, I guess I never finished that game.

Also, no way to restart races? I swear, it's like Burnout Paradise all over again. :lol

Top Bottom