• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Issun23

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Do you mean the bits where they say things in Italian? I actually think they sound pretty good; the point was probably to emphasize each word and give the audience a textbook "authentic" feel to it. Obviously, if you speak Italian fluently, or have heard Italians speak it's much different because they aren't concerned about making things audible. I could never understand my Grandfather when he spoke Italian because it was always to another native speaker.

But yea, in this case, it is very comical because it's over exaggerated. You have to admit, the voice acting is MUCH better in 2, compared to Altair and his boss there.

Yes, I am talking about the Italian dialogue in the English track. I agree with you, the team did really try and emphasize that particular sound and tone of the Italian language. The English track is intended for non-Italian speakers so it suits the purpose quite perfectly, like you say, to make the game feel more authentic. But if you use Italian every day, it really does sound funny. During a particular scene I couldn't stop laughing at all the "si salvi chi puo'" (every man for himself) madness. :lol I'm loving it though.

Oh, and while Altair's voiceover was quite horrible in the first game, I appreciated the fact that Ubi decided to give different soldiers different nationalities and use various European languages like Spanish, French and German to reflect the fact that these Christian crusade armies were drafted from all over the old continent.

Issun23 said:
Yes, I am talking about the Italian dialogue in the English track. I agree with you, the team really did try and emphasize that particular sound and tone of the Italian language. The English track is intended for non-Italian speakers so it suits the purpose quite perfectly, like you say, to make the game feel more authentic. But if you use Italian every day, it really does sound funny. During a particular scene I couldn't stop laughing at all the "si salvi chi puo'" (every man for himself) madness. :lol I'm loving it though.

Yea exactly. A very good example, I thought that myself as well. Having some background in Italian really does make it standout as comical, but I'm glad they didn't continue with voicing a character who doesn't even have a regional accent. Like with Altair in the first game. To me, it sounded like a normal English accent (America English) and was very monotone. It just took away from the collective atmosphere of the game. I'm actually excited to check out the Italian localization, which I will probably enable for a good chunk of the game. I will say that even the "broken English" Italian accents do sound good.

Ranger X

I can assure you that for a non Italian speaker like me it does sound authentic. I really really cannot tell if it feel forced or not.
Well, it's always like that with our mother language when it's not the language the game is made in. 99,9% of French tracks in games are horrible sounding for me.

Issun23

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea exactly. A very good example, I thought that myself as well. Having some background in Italian really does make it standout as comical, but I'm glad they didn't continue with voicing a character who doesn't even have a regional accent. Like with Altair in the first game. To me, it sounded like a normal English accent (America English) and was very monotone. It just took away from the collective atmosphere of the game. I'm actually excited to check out the Italian localization, which I will probably enable for a good chunk of the game. I will say that even the "broken English" Italian accents do sound good.

The Italian accent in the English voiceovers is something I appreciate a lot personally. It gives the English track a more warm and familiar feeling. It's hard to describe but it adds a lot of character to what would otherwise have been a rather stale atmosphere.

Ranger X said:
I can assure you that for a non Italian speaker like me it does sound authentic. I really really cannot tell if it feel forced or not.
Well, it's always like that with our mother language when it's not the language the game is made in. 99,9% of French tracks in games are horrible sounding for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to detract anything from the game. The English track is for English speakers, and the Italian crossovers add quite a lot to the setting and make the game feel very Italian, which is their purpose. I wish all teams who tackled particular countries in their games followed on Ubi's steps.

OmonRa

Issun23 said:
The Italian accent in the English voiceovers is something I appreciate a lot personally. It gives the English track a more warm and familiar feeling. It's hard to describe but it adds a lot of character to what would otherwise have been a rather stale atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to detract anything from the game. The English track is for English speakers, and the Italian crossovers add quite a lot to the setting and make the game feel very Italian, which is their purpose. I wish all teams who tackled particular countries in their games followed on Ubi's steps.

Anyone who speaks Italian can simply select the Italian VO which was done IN ITALY BY ITALIANS. So really it's the best of both worlds.

Ranger X

Issun23 said:

Exactly. And you can learn awesome and useful words like "cottardo" and "fottiti"

:lol

Issun23

Ranger X said:
Exactly. And you can learn awesome and useful words like "cottardo" and "fottiti"

:lol

That's precisely what I'm going to do on my second playthrough - play the game in English, just to see how many swear words they actually put in. :lol

Bleda

I cant wait to play this game! Especially in Italian, I hope the localisation is good.
The lineage videos were pretty good. Great way to introduce the game.

Pachimari

I'm getting a bit hyped toward this game now, as i'm the one to review it.

I am one of the few (i guess) who absolutely adored the original and the first one is still one of the best experiences i have had this generation. I can't wait to continue the story in Assassin's Creed II - especially having had a semi-blackout on this game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i can't wait to make my young and impressionable nephew play this, and tell him to "do that to the other kids in [his] class."

Ranger X said:
By the way, the full Assassin's Creed Lineage short movie is online.

It's really cool to check BEFORE you all play the game since it introduces it. You'll have a bit more background on the characters and Ezio's father wich is the main character in that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/assassinscreedUK#p/a/u/0/MkXyCijSf9o

Thank you for the link, I was just looking for this. Haven't watched either of them but will certainly do that now!

Bummer, the quality isn't all that great :( Does anyone have links to all three parts in HD?

Mana Sin

Ranger X said:
By the way, the full Assassin's Creed Lineage short movie is online.

It's really cool to check BEFORE you all play the game since it introduces it. You'll have a bit more background on the characters and Ezio's father wich is the main character in that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/assassinscreedUK#p/a/u/0/MkXyCijSf9o

Saw the entire thing on Spike a few nights ago. They managed to pump enough commercials in to fill an hour time slot. It's pretty interesting, and just hypes me up for the game even further.

I'm really confused now as I didn't realise there was a Black edition as well as a White Edition in the UK :lol Does anyone know what the difference is? It seems that the Black Edition isn't available for pre-order anymore anyway :(

Ranger X

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thank you for the link, I was just looking for this. Haven't watched either of them but will certainly do that now!

Bummer, the quality isn't all that great :( Does anyone have links to all three parts in HD?

?? You click on the HD button?

EDIT: Watch it in parts instead. Same Youtube page. You will have the HD option.

Ranger X said:
?? You click on the HD button?

EDIT: Watch it in parts instead. Same Youtube page. You will have the HD option.

Ok, I'll do that. I was going to say, there was no HD option on the full cut. Thanks!

By the way, has anyone been doing any of the "missions" on the Live by the Creed site? I'm curious if the Florins you get for doing stuff is actual in-game or pretty much useless.

Haunted

Loved the first one.

I'm sure some of the shine has worn off by now and the addition of that flying mechanism is seriously uuugh... but well, I'll still be there Q1 2010. :D

newsguy

Haunted said:
Loved the first one.

I'm sure some of the shine has worn off by now and the addition of that flying mechanism is seriously uuugh... but well, I'll still be there Q1 2010. :D

But it comes out this Tuesday...

newsguy

Anastacio said:
Only for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360. PC version for next year.

Damn... I don't know how you guys do it. I'm rabidly awaiting this one. I couldn't wait that long knowing the console versions are out. Not to mention shit getting spoiled between now and then.

anarchron

Neo Member
Has anyone done a comparison between the PS3 and Xbox 360 version? I'm having a hard time deciding which version I should get. I like the fact that the PS3 version has 6 unlockable weapons when synced with the PSP, but if it has poorer performance than the 360, then that's going to be a deal breaker for me.

NIGHT-

anarchron said:
Has anyone done a comparison between the PS3 and Xbox 360 version? I'm having a hard time deciding which version I should get. I like the fact that the PS3 version has 6 unlockable weapons when synced with the PSP, but if it has poorer performance than the 360, then that's going to be a deal breaker for me.

Very few multiplatform titles run better on PS3. Its safe just to go with the 360 version.

Ranger X

anarchron said:

There's a slight difference in overall framerate. Depends how sensitive you are to this or tearing. The 360 version oscillates less than the PS3 one. Both version are falling in the 25-30 fps range from time to time depending what's happening on screen. The 360 is capped at 30fps, removing any possible tearing except sub 30fps one. The PS3 is not capped so you can tear over and under 30fps. PS3 version also dips a bit more in the 25-30 fps but you might see a balance in there for this version also go over 30fps in close envirronements.

NIGHT- said:
Very few multiplatform titles run better on PS3. Its safe just to go with the 360 version.

And so it begins. Where have you been since 2008? It's pretty much equal footing and I don't think there will be any issue. That's all I'll say about that.

One of my major concerns is the level of difficulty in combat or a distinct lack of found in the original. I've seen little in the way as to describing whether or not it has been improved this time around. Is it still absurdly easy to kill groups of enemies who surround you, who then in the spirit of courtesy decide to attack you one at a time?

SenorDingDong said:
One of my major concerns is the level of difficulty in combat or a distinct lack of found in the original. I've seen little in the way as to describing whether or not it has been improved this time around. Is it still absurdly easy to kill groups of enemies who surround you, who then in the spirit of courtesy decide to attack you one at a time?

Combat has been overhauled. There are an abundance of weapons types, with different attacks for each. Enemies swarm a bit more than the AC1 "taking turns" method. From the footage I've seen recently there seems to be a lot more variety in the combat. Oh yea, there are now three types of guards. I forget what they're called, but the toughest one wears heavy armor and is tough to kill. I don't think you will have an issue with combat.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Combat has been overhauled. There are an abundance of weapons types, with different attacks for each. Enemies swarm a bit more than the AC1 "taking turns" method. From the footage I've seen recently there seems to be a lot more variety in the combat. Oh yea, there are now three types of guards. I forget what they're called, but the toughest one wears heavy armor and is tough to kill. I don't think you will have an issue with combat.

Thanks for that, what you say certainly sounds promising. My concern is purely with the difficulty level. I just found it a little absurd in the original that you could take down hordes of guards with ease as they took turns to be countered. If this has been remedied this will definitely be a day one purchase for me. Fortunately the release date here in Australia is about a week later than the US release so I'll have plenty of time to get some user impressions.

newsguy

That lineage video is really well done. I was surprised, it made me think of how awesome a film on this subject matter could be.

EDIT: Get out of my head JB!

Pachimari

Well i'm not waiting for the PC version as I'm getting the review copy for console now. but i might buy the PC version next year as well if it gets additional content, so i can play it with 3D glasses.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
8 hours in, between 20 and 25% done I'd say, maybe less. No obvious repetitions in the main action so far. More on Tuesday when the embargo ends :)

Slaylock

Blimblim said:
8 hours in, between 20 and 25% done I'd say, maybe less. No obvious repetitions in the main action so far. More on Tuesday when the embargo ends :)
Which version are you playing?

eshwaaz

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

That's encouraging, though they definitely have a lot to prove. Batman: Arkham Asylum set a new standard for that brand of close combat.

Zeliard

Blimblim said:

No repetition after 3% in would have been impressive for this game, but 25%?

Good stuff. ;)

I like the first AC more than most, but yeah, it was undeniably repetitive. Hugely so. Good thing that Ubi seems to have listened carefully, given how much emphasis they put on "diversity" when it comes to everything they say about AC2.

Haunted

newsguy said:
Damn... I don't know how you guys do it. I'm rabidly awaiting this one. I couldn't wait that long knowing the console versions are out. Not to mention shit getting spoiled between now and then.
That patience comes with age, don't worry. :)

My backlog is too fucking big as is. :/

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
And so it begins. Where have you been since 2008? It's pretty much equal footing and I don't think there will be any issue. That's all I'll say about that.

Dude, Ghostbusters fucked up all the progress that other developers had made in showing the parity between the consoles. Goddamnit, Ghostbusters.

Zapages

I just bought it from Amazon game for 51 dollars... Hopefully I get the 10 dollar gift certificate...

Thank you for the code... Saved me 10 dollars. :)

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Dude, Ghostbusters fucked up all the progress that other developers had made in showing the parity between the consoles. Goddamnit, Ghostbusters.
:lol Can't argue with that! What a shame.

About combat difficulty. I speak from observation at this point but it seems like you won't be able to take down hordes quite as easily. That was one of the best parts (read: most hilarious) of AC1 - taking down 75 guards with counters.

I'm getting anxious, I really want to play this!

Toski

I must of been one of the few people who liked the repetitive investigations in AC1. It made the game so short and easy if you knew what you were doing especially with the GPS on. I'm glad they fixed the easy combat, only Templars were a challenge in the first and if you got them on the ground they were dead. I hope the first assasination is harder than it looks, because that looked too easy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Toski said:
I must of been one of the few people who liked the repetitive investigations in AC1. It made the game so short and easy if you knew what you were doing especially with the GPS.

i said this earlier in the thread, but my problem with AC wasn't the repetitive gameplay--hell, i love some games that have some damn repetitive gameplay--it's that the reasons i was doing the things i was doing (whether it was picking a pocket or eavesdropping) never seemed to "stick," and the motivation was clearly just a very poor veil for the game structure. wait, who is this guy? why am i picking his pocket? none of this matters; he's just some dude i have to press x behind, because that's what the game wants me to do.

it could be the structure, being so similar each time, played into this. of course if you know what you'll be doing, who is who and why they are important will seem somewhat irrelevant. but it still should be said that repetitive gameplay isn't always so bad if it's well introduced and integrated, and if it's interesting to play.

thankfully all indications are that this problem has been fixed, which is wonderful news.

Goddamn, just got off the phone and the Gamestop Collector's Editions are all sold out. I didn't know those things ever sold out (I remember seeing a bunch of the first game's months after it came out).

Top Bottom