• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Sid

Sure, they are unrelated.

"Exquisite tension in Dishonored" and the "genuine freedom to slip invisibly into a crowd of people and chose one of any number of methods for completing a hit in Hitman: Absolution" leads to the "Assassin's Creed style feels disappointingly flat and automated."

...yeah. No words.
lol just WOW.

Mario007

It's hilarious seeing Vita games being compared to PS3/Xbox360 games and not to its most direct competitor, the 3DS. If you continue on this path then of course everything will be looking like a gimped version of the console game. Never mind the fact that ACL and AC3 are completely different games.

Frillen

It's not a Sony game.

I know. What I meant was that Sony needs to push third-prarty publishers to put A studios on Vita games. Otherwise the Vita will always get 6-8/10 games from third parties, which will lead to no hardware boost which it desperately needs.

thumb

Banned
I didn't read that one. Now the press is choosing to compare the series to stealth games? Funny how they don't do that with the main games.

When I think about it how the hell could you compare it to those? Maybe Hitman in that the girl in this game can change costumes, but that's still a big reach.

The "press" is not a unified entity. Reviewers bear no individual responsibility to align their reviews with other members of the press. Parish was lamenting the loss (or deprecation) of social stealth in Liberation, and noting that the tension of each assassination, not to mention the freedom in approach, was lackluster compared to other games.

Carl

I know. What I meant was that Sony needs to push third-prarty publishers to put A studios on Vita games. Otherwise the Vita will always get 6-8/10 games from third parties, which will lead to no hardware boost which it desperately needs.

Depends on your definition of an "A" studio

Mario007

I'm not surprised. Sony needs A studios to work on Vita games if they want it to start selling. Not B and C studios.

You mean Studio Japan, Sony Bend, Tarsier, MediaMolecule, GG? Because they have those.

This is also a ubisoft game, not a Sony game. I hope the game sells well, everything about it seems amazing and I'd like for these types of games to be released on the Vita.

graywolf323

The "press" is not a unified entity. Reviewers bear no individual responsibility to align their reviews with other members of the press. Parish was lamenting the loss (or deprecation) of social stealth in Liberation, and noting that the tension of each assassination, not to mention the freedom in approach, was lackluster compared to other games.

he's comparing it to console games that aren't on the Vita or any handheld, that's the problem

hell Hitman Absolution isn't even out yet so who knows if it'll even hold up to that come release in 3 weeks

Derrick01

Banned
"Exquisite tension in Dishonored" and the "genuine freedom to slip invisibly into a crowd of people and chose one of any number of methods for completing a hit in Hitman: Absolution" leads to the "Assassin's Creed style feels disappointingly flat and automated."

...yeah. No words.

Then why not crush the main games for the same thing? No Assassin's Creed game has been able to match the Mardi Gras mission from Hitman Blood Money, and that 2006 game also had more NPCs in the street. And they have most certainly never matched the amount of options those games have.

I just don't get how schizophrenic the media can be. One moment a game is ok and the next game it's WHY CAN'T THIS BE AS GOOD AS (insert unrelated game in a different genre here)?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
he's comparing it to console games that aren't on the Vita or any handheld, that's the problem

hell Hitman Absolution isn't even out yet so who knows if it'll even hold up to that come release in 3 weeks

Then why not crush the main games for the same thing? No Assassin's Creed game has been able to match the Mardi Gras mission from Hitman Blood Money, and that 2006 game also had more NPCs in the street. And they have most certainly never matched the amount of options those games have.

Thank you.

Frillen

I don't see a problem with the Hitman and Dishonoured comparisons. All of them involves stealth killing and since all of them comes out in the same time frame, they are bound to get compared. People will compare them, and rightfully so.

Mario007

It's not a stealth game and neither were any of its predecessors. Even the 'social stealth' was more of gimmick than anything in the previous games. Also there really was only one way to make an assassination since AC2.

It's funny that the issues that the press identifies in this game are present pretty much in every AC game and no one in this thread who played the game has complained of them.

Tiamant

An "A" studio just released a game today. Criterion.

I'm dying to see what will they say this time if it ends being nearly identical to the PS360 versions.

"...It moves away from the principles of handheld gaming and delivers an experience way too similar to the PS360 versions"

graywolf323

I don't see a problem with the Hitman and Dishonoured comparisons. All of them involves stealth killing and since all of them comes out in the same time frame, they are bound to get compared. People will compare them, and rightfully so.

if they want to then compare AC3 to them not Liberation

Derrick01

Banned

Assassin's Creed can not possibly qualify as a stealth game like those can. It's always had bare bones stealth mechanics and after AC1 the series was changed to be more like an action game. Comparing this game to Hitman out of nowhere is unfair.

Larsen B

if they want to then compare AC3 to them not Liberation

But if Liberation is a handheld version of the Assassin's Creed formula and these comparisons and complaints are with the formula, then logically they can be levied against Liberation too.

These middling reviews won't impact your enjoyment, guys.

thumb

Banned
It's funny that the issues that the press identifies in this game are present pretty much in every AC game and no one in this thread who played the game has complained of them.

Parish states:

"The problem with Liberation is that it's content to dwell on the same old game design ideas that have come to define the franchise in a year where it's up against two top-caliber games about sneaking and assassination."

In other words, design can become old and tired. The mere fact that previous iterations of a franchise might have been well recieved does not mean that merely reimplementing the same design will be equally well-received

Also, very few people, if any, have completed the game in this thread. And again, "the press" is not a thing that is of one mind.

Mario007

Well, Ubisoft Sofia and Nihilistic are not one of them.

Good that Nihlistic did only one game Sony game for the vita then and Ubisoft Sofia did none. Sony CANNOT go around and say 'sorry you're a shitty studio, can't be releasing games on our console'.

Also Ubi Sofia are quite talented

Parish states:

"The problem with Liberation is that it's content to dwell on the same old game design ideas that have come to define the franchise in a year where it's up against two top-caliber games about sneaking and assassination."

In other words, design can become old and tired. The mere fact that previous iterations of a franchise might have been well recieved does not mean that merely reimplementing the same design will be equally well-received

Also, very few people, if any, have completed the game in this thread. And again, "the press" is not a thing that is of one mind.

But that complaint is more applicable to AC3 since that was heralded as the big change in the core mechanics of the AC series and because that's actually on a platform where the other two games he mentions are actually being released (ie the same is possible).

As such it looks like Liberation is being scapegoated for the faults of AC series same as MoH was scapegoated for the yearly FPS sequels.

Also quite a few people in this thread finished the game.

Parish states:

Assassin's Creed III Liberation is going up against Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution? Is there a way I can play Dishonored on the train?

By that logic is Pokemon Black/White 2 going up against Ni No Kuni?

Game still looks really interesting. Some of the complaints seem totally valid (unfortunate tacked on MP), but reviews like that are pretty odd.

Takao

Banned

Handhelds have always been treated like ugly ducklings from the west. That's the truth. There likely was never an option for Ubisoft Montreal to make this game. It was Ubisoft Sofia, or nothing.

thumb = Parish confirmed

I just don't get the point of comparing disparate recent titles. Is he trying to save me money? That's very considerate, but I don't seek purchasing advice from reviews, I just want to know if the game is any good on its own merits. I can choose what to spend my money on from there. Certainly it's not reasonable to demand reviews be written in a vacuum, but you've got to draw the line somewhere, and mine is drifting off into tangential rhetorical comparisons.

And again, "the press" is not a thing that is of one mind.

Neither is GAF, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about hiveminds.

Neverfade

In a world where Sony themselves market the Vita as a console experience on the go, I don't see a problem with console comparisons.

Mario007

Handhelds have always been treated like ugly ducklings from the west. That's the truth. There likely was never an option for Ubisoft Montreal to make this game. It was Ubisoft Sofia, or nothing.

Exactly, just as an iOS game will get 10/10 for being amazing within its own ecosystem and being heralded as great, for a portable experience, dedicated handheld games tend to get called out for having to make compromises and not being as good as console games.

thumb

Banned
Assassin's Creed III Liberation is going up against Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution? Is there a way I can play Dishonored on the train?

By that logic is Pokemon Black/White 2 going up against Ni No Kuni?

Game still looks really interesting. Some of the complaints seem totally valid (unfortunate tacked on MP), but reviews like that are pretty odd.

The word "design" is the critical one. Parish is not critiquing the graphical scope or some other element that is necessarily tied to the reduced performance available on a handheld. Also, Parish explicitly acknowledges the novelty of the game on a handheld, stating:

"Despite all of this, I love portable gaming, and simply having an authentic take on Assassin's Creed to play on the go helps makes up for the flaws. I can't give Liberation a glowing recommendation, but between its small-screen ambition and thoughtful take on navigating the social waters of its setting as a woman, I see a real glimmer of creativity here."

thumb

Banned
For the record, I've purchased AC LIberation and have enjoyed the first 10 minutes. But having read what I took to be a thoughtful and critical review of the game, I thought it would be a good idea to juxtapose it with some of the unarticulated critiques of reviewers.

Xiaoki

Articulate your argument.

He's no longer reviewing the game based on its own merits, he's not even reviewing it based on the merits of the Assassin's Creed franchise. He is now reviewing it based on what he thinks the game/franchise should be not what it is.

Basically he's saying "I like Dishonored so I think Assassin's Creed should be more like Dishonored, but since it isnt Assassin's Creed is bad".

thumb

Banned
He's no longer reviewing the game based on its own merits, he's not even reviewing it based on the merits of the Assassin's Creed franchise. He is now reviewing it based on what he thinks the game/franchise should be not what it is.

Basically he's saying "I like Dishonored so I think Assassin's Creed should be more like Dishonored, but since it isnt Assassin's Creed is bad".

You realize that this is a legitimate argument, right? Game mechanics do not get a free pass because they were firmly intended to be that way by designers. If Killzone's controls were meant to be laggy but lead to decreased enjoyment, they can be critiqued. If Liberation's approach to stealth is long in the tooth, it can be critiqued as such.

I think the disconnect with the scores is that the biggest fan of the series are reviewing the consoles game, while someone else is reviewing the portable release.

It's a shame that the game doesn't go deeper into the slave angle. And wait, most of the touch stuff is mandatory?

i feel like i've been lied to :(

Now the debate if I should get this or ragnarok odyssey today, a lot harder T_T.

Skilletor

You realize that this is a legitimate argument, right? Game mechanics do not get a free pass because they were firmly intended to be that way by designers. If Killzone's controls were meant to be laggy but lead to decreased enjoyment, they can be critiqued. If Liberation's approach to stealth is long in the tooth, it can be critiqued as such.

That's cool, but we don't see the same complaints being leveled at the console games. That's where the disconnect comes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There is a spoilery pic at the bottom of that page. I didn't know
Connor was in the game. I'm planning on playing this while I wait for the PC version. Hope it doesn't spoil anything.

Just a cameo.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AC Liberation is no where open or space cyberpunky like Prey 2,lack the RPG elements of The Witcher 3,and you will never want to protect Aveline like how you want to protect Lara in Tomb Raider Reboot.

1/5

Edit: Holy hell at dat White Vita. I want one.

jcm

Reposted from another thread:

The white PS Vita is fucking awesome looking. Going to dive in to AC Lib now.

And if anyone wants to take a more in depth look into the white PS Vita here is me unboxing the bundle and checking out AC Lib:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrOtcL9DnI

So pretty. I ordered mine direct from Sony (using CC points for it), and I'm sitting at READY FOR SHIPMENT. I likely won't have it until next week, especially with the UPS/Fedex storm problems.

thumb

Banned
AC Liberation is no where open or space cyberpunky like Prey 2,lack the RPG elements of The Witcher 3,and you will never want to protect Aveline like how you want to protect Lara in Tomb Raider

Do you think those comparisons are actually analogous to the one's Parish made between stealth assassination games?

Let's say I tell you that AC3:L does jumping worse than Mega Man. In a world where Mega Man exists, this kind of jumping should not get a free pass.

Has that conveyed some information of worth to you? Are you about to go out and play Mega Man games if you've never been interested in them before, just because they apparently do some portion of the game better than a game you were interested in does?

Are these experiences really comparable because they share certain qualities? Breaking Bad has action and intrigue and killing in it, and it might arguably be a superior overall experience than playing an AC game. Should I not question the logic of a review that tells me "the tension in this game is barely serviceable compared to watching a few hours of Breaking Bad?"

Maybe it's a matter of perspective, and I expect something different from a review. Personally, I wish all reviews discussed a game's control scheme and responsiveness first and foremost, so maybe I'm going into every review defeated to begin with.

Top Bottom