• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is garbage, and I played it to completion

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm hopelessly behind on my ever-growing gaming backlog, and given how little time I actually spend playing games these days, I probably will be until the end of time. Despite that, I can occasionally appreciate a good palate-cleanser, and don't mind spending some time on a downright bad game. These bad games can have interesting ideas; they can also sometimes serve as useful cautionary tales, and help me better appreciate good design in other games.

ACL_hero3.jpg

The last game I finished was Assassin's Creed Liberation HD on the PC. The game was panned, but I got it cheaply, it was an AC game (a series I love, despite its many flaws, wild inconsistency, and many bad entries), and it had some concepts and ideas that looked interesting on paper. I figured I might genuinely enjoy it, and worst case scenario, it would be one of those horrible palate-cleansing games I described above. Heck, I even sort of enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3, and thought it had some great elements!

After completing it (the whole thing took about 13 hours), the worst case scenario indeed came to pass. ACL is horrible, and was clearly made on a tiny budget by a Ubisoft C-team. How? Let me break it down in more detail than this game really deserves:

* Aveline, the main character, is a half-French, half-African Assassin torn between cultures and loyalties. The setting, 18th-century New Orleans, is rich with opportunity for interesting themes. The game does basically nothing with either of these things. Both the character and setting are completely underdeveloped to an embarrassing degree.

* The story is bad in concept. I'm going to spoil it here:
the Templars are pretending to free slaves, but actually, they're shipping them off to Mexico to search Mayan ruins for powerful ancient artifacts.
That one-sentence summary encompasses about 90% of what happens.

* The story is also badly told. It's presented mostly through poorly-voiced cutscenes that are disjointed, expects the player to care (or even know) about characters that are newly introduced or barely mentioned, is riddled with plot holes, and is somehow both cliched and bizarre. Character motivations are non-existent, barely discernable, non-sensical, or super-weak. There's no concept of build-up and payoff; big revelations are outright stated in the in-game codex early on, then shown in late-game cutscenes as surprises.

* The game mechanics are bad, even by Assassin's Creed standards. The game has no challenge except fighting with the janky controls. Lots of mechanics boil down to "go here and press a button". For example, when Aveline is in her formal dress, she can act like a Southern Belle, go up to a guard, and charm the guard. Neat concept, right? Rich with potential gameplay possibilities, right? In practice, you go up to a guard, press the Charm button, and the guard follows you around for a minute. That's it, that's the mechanic. There are no interesting scenarios built around this. There are no emergent gameplay possibilities opened up by this. It's literally used twice in missions where the game explicitly tells you that you have to go up the guard, charm him, walk behind a building, and press a button to kill him. Basically all of the mechanics are like this, even ones that worked and were better-developed back in Assassin's Creed 2.

assassins-creed-liberation-hd-persona-missions-guide.jpg

* The game has a cool-in-theory "Persona" system. Aveline can disguise herself as a genteel lady in a dress, a slave, or a combat-ready Assassin. Supposedly, each of these has gameplay advantages and disadvantages, and can entail different approaches to missions. Actually, the slave and Assassin disguises are virtually identical barring a few minor differences. The lady disguise is different only in that you can Charm (as described above), can't parkour, and can only use a couple of weapons. If the game didn't force you to switch disguises for scripted scenarios, there would be basically no reason to use one over another. The concept is nice, the reality is trash.

* I find most game music pretty good. It's rare that a game has outright bad music that I specifically notice. Even indie games, with their tiny budgets, often have excellent soundtracks. Well, ACL has outright bad music. It's a few super-simplistic tunes that sound like they're on 30-second loops. I think I remember one or two tracks being okay. The rest sound totally amateurish and thrown together under severe time pressure.

* The sidequest design...oh god. Assassin's Creed, as a series, has always had some trouble in this area. ACL is the nadir of the series, by far, and I'm including stuff like the DLC for Assassin's Creed 3 and Revelations in that comparison. It's just the laziest mission design I've ever experienced in an ostensibly mainstream game. There are the infamously bad AC tailing missions stripped of any challenge and that go on far too long. There are missions where you're supposed to go to a location, stab a dude, and then fight about 30 enemies. There are missions where you're supposed to go to a location, stab a dude, then sneak out, but you end up fighting about 30 enemies because the stealth/detection mechanics and enemy layouts are badly designed.

* Collectibles are almost never done well, even in generally good games. ACL has multiple sets of collectibles, most of which offer literally no reward and require no skill to get. They will appear on your radar when you get close to them (and not any other time), and you can pick them up. Other than manually walking across the game maps hoping one pops up on radar, or looking at a wiki, there's no way to deduce their locations.

* The in-game economy and trading systems are broken, boring, and based primarily on waiting for your ships to arrive in a port to unload their goods. There's nothing worth spending money on. You can spend money on ways to make more money, but why bother?

* The graphics are only good by Vita standards. Even HD-ified, the game is the worst-looking of all ACs. This actually isn't a big deal to me, but it might be to most people.

Pretty damning, right? The game's not 100% horrible. There are a few--not bright spots, but less grim spots:
* There are a few Prince of Persia/AC2 Assassin's Tombs-style bits in the Chichen Itza location. They're very bad compared to those games, but they stand out in ACL.

* Some environments are kind of nice-looking, despite the low-tech graphics. Again, Chichen Itza is a relative standout.

* Your journal entries start out as sanitized, censored Templar versions that paint the Assassins in a bad light and hide the bad stuff the Templars did. As you progress, you can unlock the real entries that modify your journal and tell the truth of what happened. Kind of a neat idea, that, as usual for this game, is very undercooked.

TLDR: ACL is bad.

That's it! My palate is cleansed, and now I'm ready for a good game again. Anyone else play this game? Am I off the mark? What did you think of it?

I really really want to play this game because it's one of only three (maybe four now) major industry games with a black woman as the protagonist. At least that I know of. And that alone was enough reason to make me want to play it.

I have never played an AC game before, beyond a few missions in the first one, which I hated. I thought I might stand a chance at enjoying this one without having played the "best" the series has to offer.

Maybe not, though. Which is really upsetting to me.

Sesha

I wish someone would save Aveline and put her in a better game. Her design is so good. Much better than Evey and that other chick from Unity that everyone made big deals about.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I wish someone would save Aveline and put her in a better game. Her design is so good. Much better than Evey and that other chick from Unity that everyone made big deals about.
It's tragic how misused and underdeveloped Aveline was. Man, the themes that could have been explored...

You mean you didn't enjoy this turd spamming your ears over and over?

Yeah, the game is decent considering it's originally a hand held title, but overall it failed the deliver. I think the biggest problem for me was the Bayou, it was so annoying getting around it and it made an otherwise decent looking setting quite frustrating to traverse.

I loved the cities though, and Aveline was a great character.

Cider X

This was a handheld game which should never have been ported to anything. It was mildly impressive back when it launched on the Vita - it has no business being on any other platform. Terrible game.

Yeah the game started out pretty decent but then its like the entire team just said fuck it we gotta ship this in 3 months and didn't really finish anything. The story falls off a cliff, the maps get worse and worse, and as you said the collectibles are meaningless. I enjoyed the first few hours of game play though.

It was also pretty sad how they tried to tie this into AC3.

Tagyhag

I didn't think it was garbage, just mediocre.

But yeah, Aveline deserves better, I like her character, I hope she comes back but I highly doubt it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really really want to play this game because it's one of only three (maybe four now) major industry games with a black woman as the protagonist. At least that I know of. And that alone was enough reason to make me want to play it.

I have never played an AC game before, beyond a few missions in the first one, which I hated. I thought I might stand a chance at enjoying this one without having played the "best" the series has to offer.
You might consider buying Black Flag, which has a DLC mission that features Aveline.

I originally played this game on Vita, back when Vita games were a thing, and I couldn't be assed to finish it back then because of the Vita jank. Well, that and AC3 turned out to be such a bad game.

Mesoian

* The story is bad in concept. I'm going to spoil it here:
the Templars are pretending to free slaves, but actually, they're shipping them off to Mexico to search Mayan ruins for powerful ancient artifacts.
That one-sentence summary encompasses about 90% of what happens.

* The story is also badly told. It's presented mostly through poorly-voiced cutscenes that are disjointed, expects the player to care (or even know) about characters that are newly introduced or barely mentioned, is riddled with plot holes, and is somehow both cliched and bizarre. Character motivations are non-existent, barely discernable, non-sensical, or super-weak. There's no concept of build-up and payoff; big revelations are outright stated in the in-game codex early on, then shown in late-game cutscenes as surprises.

This is the biggest shame as the former paragraph is an amazing plotline. It makes me wonder if the technical limitations really tied their hands down when it came to dramatic story telling.

The only reason why I still want to try to get it. The demo of HD was pretty difficult though.

My only substabtial memory of it is playing that horrid social game for the platinum. That, and looking for some ghost ass motherfucker by circling a church for 20 minutes. Might've been a barn.

I really really want to play this game because it's one of only three (maybe four now) major industry games with a black woman as the protagonist. At least that I know of. And that alone was enough reason to make me want to play it. You like diverse characters, did you play AC3?

Maybe not, though. Which is really upsetting to me.
The entire game was AC3 lite so it was far from being the greatest.

Ridley327

This sucked so hard on the Vita. I can't imagine what they could have done in the HD version to improve it, since the stuff that people tended to gripe about (the Vita hardware features implementation) was the least of the game's worries from a design standpoint.

LIberation is a good game.
I enjoyed it so much more than creed 3 and i got both.

Liberation at least got a cohesive story even if it was full of missed opportunities.
Aveline disguise system was a nice change of pace .
New orleans as a city should just has been bigger.

Amen to this one. I fucking hated this game, and its more of a shame given that Aveline was a great character.

My personal worst AC game I ever played, and I have played all of them sans Syndicate.

I liked it on the Vita and loved Aveline. I liked the swamp! And the whole slavery/stepmom/dad story arcs and loved the true ending. Only thing I didn't like was performance and overall quality. Had it had more time for polish and a better director it could have been much better.
Still a better game than Unity though. I also dug the Connor side mission.

I too enjoyed it more than AC3, but that's not saying much. And unlike Killzone Mercenary, another game that was better than the home console installment released around the same time, Liberation relies heavily on the lowered expectations for handheld games. I'm not surprised that it suffers as a barebones HD port removed from its original context.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The game was made by Ubisoft Sofia if I remember correctly, all things considered it was probably as good as can be expected.

NastyBook

I enjoyed it. Especially the Connor freeze glitches I ran into during their collab. Didn't care much for her hamstrung Southern Belle portions, though.

Canucked

I liked it. Wasn't great but it was fun on vita. And has one of my favourite AC additions of shooting poison darts from hay wagons. Wish I could do that in every AC.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I liked it and Aveline is one of my favorite protags in the franchise. There was so much more that could have been done with her.

Fasty

I kind of appreciate the fact that games like AC Liberation and Batman Origins Blackgate got HD ports. Now everyone gets to appreciate the mediocrity for themselves, and the publishers can't hide from the criticism, because their games are up against decent competition.

Kazerei

Banned
I'll give Ubisoft a round of applause for making a Native American man and a black woman the protagonists of the AC3 and ACL respectively. For awhile I thought this would be the start of an awesome trend of diverse protagonists in blockbuster AAA titles. It's too bad the two games ended up being such a mess. Gameplay-wise they had just built a new engine, and story-wise they didn't know WTF to do by this point.

I enjoyed my time with Liberation. While I preferred AC3's story to the one in Liberation, I found that the gameplay in the ACL was more enjoyable, though that's mainly due to some of 3's shortcomings in that department.

For example, ACL didn't place guards on practically every rooftop that alerted all the ground enemies to your presence in groups of two so you couldn't run along the rooftops without getting mobbed.

Also, I really liked the whip in ACL. Having to constantly reload the gun in order to one-hit-kill the big brutes was annoying in 3, as was running out of bullets, and the whip managed to solve both those problems.

Overall, I liked it, even though it has its flaws. New Orleans was a cool city to explore. I liked some of the characters, and the story had some cool ideas, though not all of them were executed as well as they could've been. Still,
the twist with George genuinely caught me by surprise, though AC4 spoiled the Madeleine reveal for me.

Oriel

It was a decent game to play......the times I wasn't stuck underneath a tree in the Bayou or behind some scenery in the game and needing to quit just to free myself.

It makes me sad because Aveline is an awesome character, and just thinking of all the themes they could have explored with a black/female protagonist from those times... makes me sad.

Her game being crap is the moment I dropped the series and I don't think I'll ever go back.

I give tons of points to Ubisoft for making the protags of 3 and Lib a Native American and a Black woman, but man... at least Aveline deserved a better game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Aveline has a more much distinctive design. I'd think Evie was a Ass Creed multiplayer skin if I didn't know she was a major character.
I disagree but I have a slight bias since i'm a much bigger fan of Victorian London designs. Love Aveline's lady outfit.

Big Nikus

That's it! My palate is cleansed, and now I'm ready for a good game again. Anyone else play this game? Am I off the mark? What did you think of it?

I'm also a big fan of AC despite all the flaws, but yeah, I'm not very fond of Liberation. I played it on 360 and it was horrendous, piss poor IQ, jaggies everywhere and poor framerate. The PC version you played is probably much better, so imagine my pain.
I don't really remember what the point of the story was, because I cared so little.

Also, I hated the acting in this game, especially Aveline (even though I rather liked her character, and her design). As a french, it's always cringeworthy when I hear english with a bad french accent, even if it's done on purpose. If it's not a parody, it makes my ears bleed. To me it always sounds like the person can't act at all, I'm sure I would sound the same if I suddenly tried to be an actor.
I tried the game in french, but all the characters sounded off the mark (especially Aveline's mentor, who had a cool voice in english).
I'm already wondering if I'll play Unity in french or in english. I really want to play it in french for once, but I usually don't like the performance in french dubs.

Ralemont

not me
I've played all the ACs except Unity and Rogue, and this is the only one I didn't finish. I played it on Vita, and just became so bored with both the plot and mission design that I decided to move on to something else.

leng jai

Only tried the Vita version which came for free. Absolutely awful game on a technical level. Garbage frame rate, poor IQ and the most compressed audio I've ever heard.

Top Bottom