• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

rhandino

Banned
I really wish they would just scrap the modern day aspect.

Desmond went from interesting to god awful.

The fourth wall breaking stuff post desmond went from mediocre and cute to god awful.

Just give me a cool vaguely accurate historical city (that isn't in boring ass Europe or early America) to run around and stab fools in.
They gave you that in Liberation, Freedom Cry, Unity and Syndicate in which modern day where reduced to the bare minimum or just non existent and EVERYONE complained.

Modern day needs to be done better and not be gutted and discarded just because they dropped the ball during Assassin's Creed III in which they wrote themselves into that damn corner.

Like, I still remember when a lot of the discussion about the series was how maybe we were going to get a full Assassins Creed game in modern times.

Agram

So this leak was true
WvHfj9mJ9afumt6FroaLDm-650-80.png

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm still interested to hear what they've done but part of me is looking at that 'Assassinate the crocodile' objective and thinking 'maybe 1 year off wasn't enough'. The burn out on AC was real and hard for me.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
I'm still interested to hear what they've done but part of me is looking at that 'Assassinate the crocodile' objective and thinking 'maybe 1 year off wasn't enough'. The burn out on AC was real and hard for me.

Then wait another year with buying it.

Composer

does this mean no more animus wankery bullshit? if it does then count me in

I hope for the exact opposite. The animus/modern day story is the back bone of the series. The moment they downgraded all of that, the games lost all plot and motivation. If you don't like the Animus/Modern day story, Assassin's Creed is not your game.

SomTervo

I hate, hate, hate, hate the modern day stuff, but going back to the series' core roots? Back to the time when 'Adam and Eve' apparently broke from the precursors?

That could work.

If this one actually shows/addresses a load of the story hinted at in AC1 and 2, then the modern day stuff could be legit. It only took us 8 games to get there.

The whole reason the modern day stuff is a joke is that they went LOST on it, focusing on minor side stories, characters and details rather than straight up 'answering' the mysteries of the lore. To answer the mysteries they should have shown us how the ancient ones lived and what they did. Never seeing that broke the suspense, game after game after game.

Open world has largely moved beyond collectathon games. I'm not sure the Ass Creed team can keep up.

Ubi managed to 'keep up' with Watch Dogs 2 and, to a lesser (but still significant) extent, Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I've got high hopes for this one if the rumours are true. Watch Dogs 2 is an excellent open world/sandbox game that is the first one to start adhering to their new open world principles (player driven stories).

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm the only person in the world didn't dig AC4's naval combat. I mean, it was fun I guess, but the best thing Assassin's Creed offers are those underground parkour dungeon things. More of those please.

They gave you that in Liberation, Freedom Cry, Unity and Syndicate in which modern day where reduced to the bare minimum or just non existent and EVERYONE complained.

Modern day needs to be done better and not be gutted and discarded just because they dropped the ball during Assassin's Creed III in which they wrote themselves into that damn corner.

Like, I still remember when a lot of the discussion about the series was how maybe we were going to get a full Assassins Creed game in modern times.

They dropped the ball in almost every AC that heavily featured modern day. Personally, it only serves to pull me from my enjoyment of the game. I just want to run around ancient cities.

I hope for the exact opposite. The animus/modern day story is the back bone of the series. The moment they downgraded all of that, the games lost all plot and motivation. If you don't like the Animus/Modern day story, Assassin's Creed is not your game.

So if you don't enjoy the most boring parts of the game that aren't even a bulk of the game, then the entire game isn't for you? That's bonkers mate.

Your refusing to play the game because of its name?

Is that so odd? Your average Joe Blow consumer might make game buying decisions based off of box-art.

There's so many games out there to play, and so little time to do so, I'll take any excuse I can.

The fact that they went with the most corporate, boring, overused title for this game (which they allowed the franchise a year off to make) is a huge first impression buzzkill.

The combat system needs to either be entirely about quick, flashy kills or include limb damage for enemies. I don't want a Platinum-esque character action game system in my AC. Hitting an enemy over and over again just isn't fun for me.

bombshell

Crocodile is capitalized, so it's probably a person's nickname and not literally a crocodile.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think I'm the only person in the world didn't dig AC4's naval combat. I mean, it was fun I guess, but the best thing Assassin's Creed offers are those underground parkour dungeon things. More of those please.
I think the naval combat and sailing is fun for a bit, it's just that it gets old and repetitive quick, especially as you're being tasked to do naval side-quests that feel even more bare-bones than what you do on land and you're still collecting crap sailing from each animus fragment 5 minutes at a time.

Boarding, swashbuckling, and overall naval combat is fun, but to see it keep being brought into Assassin's Creed is a little disheartening as someone who's been in since the first game and enjoys the big cities, stealth, and underground tombs. If they MUST being back Naval Combat, please change it up from AC4, as we've had that system 3 times now in AC4, Rogue and Freedom Cry.

I hope they bring PvP back...and similar to how it was in previous titles. I really miss playing it.

Better have some damn ambient music too.

Honestly, I am not sure how the time setting will make this game work. Egypt didn't have grant building to climb back then, and their cities were also not as amazing as some of the cities we have played in the game. Also did Ancient Egypt have cannons back then to have amazing navel combat? It would be interesting to see what they would do with that considering how much I enjoyed Black Flag. If they use the same formula for Unity and Syndicate than I am out. Those games were absolutely horrendous and down right insulting to my use of time.

Just_one

The Crocodile is probably a nickname for some character.

I cant wait for this to come out.

although i wasnt a major fan of the naval combat in AC 4 it would be amazing to have another civilization to go besides egypt.

oh and NO MULTIPLAYER please!

Toa TAK

Banned
The modern day stuff is a really awesome idea conceptually, but I don't think they've been able to do it well since ACII. Brotherhood totally shat the bed with it all.

danthefan

A bigger version of A4 hopefully with better free running, combat, and mission structure (no, you've been seen mission failed do all this boring shit again, nonsense)?

I'm interested.

Byvar

Ugh, that environment looks just as flat and unvaried as AC4.
And is that a tailing mission? ._.
And naval combat?

Damn it, this one screenshot already has so many things I hate about post-Brotherhood AC. The fact that it's in Ancient Egypt is very cool though, and it looks gorgeous so I'm still slightly interested. I'll see when it gets properly revealed I suppose.

This. I need modern day in AC that's what the payoff for 3 was supposed to be till ubi found they had a cash cow. No more of that barebones shitty as modern day stuff we've had since 4. I wanna know more about Adam and Eve and the first civilization. Searching around for the clues in AC2 was a highlight of he game for me. Also bring back the settlement from AC3 were we actually build up a community and see it evolve.

Top Bottom