• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Just Got Pro Support

Update -

I played this last night on my pro and can confirm there I only had positives.

I saw none of the screen tear or the clipping issues etc...

Don't believe all the doom and gloom it seems

TVexperto

Wish they would patch the better AC ... (Unity). Maybe all other Ubi games will get a pro patch as well, would be so great for The Division

Wish they would patch the better AC ... (Unity). Maybe all other Ubi games will get a pro patch as well, would be so great for The Division

q3iCWqE.gif

KORNdoggy

can we at least supersample from the "4k" mode for those with a 1080p screen. instead of just the bare boned 1080p rendering res?

Is this actually a good game at this point? I know it's on sale right now and I would jump if it actually supports my Pro on my 1080p TV.

At the moment 1080p HD - my new 4K HDR is turning up tomorrow so will check again

I'll try my best haha
The screenshot share option can be set to 4K or 1080p. You will still get a 4K screenshot regardless of what display you are using.

And please make some screenshots, you will be the first person who isn't having issues with this patch and that will be interesting if you can prove it.

UrbanRats

The patch was also meant to bump res to 1080 on standard PS4 too?

So that was of course totally doable?

LOL Ubisoft.

Probably not within the time frame they had, and now they had a reason to go back to it.
Or maybe optimizing for the Pro, they found ways to optimize the normal version, too.

You think they did 900p on purpose? Why?

Do you think that IQ and anti-aliasing are improved?

That would confirm the supersampling.

I haven't noticed any instance of Aliasing at all.

Alot of the screens people have showed have been at like pixel to pixel focus.

When I sit back on my sofa it looks fine, if anything crisper. My wife asked if I was playing a new game..... despite watching me play this on and off some days ago.

At the moment I'm using PS4 Pro on a Sony Bravia 1080P TV from around 7 years ago

My brand new one turns up tomorrow with 4K and HDR so I won't be able to check that until then

I haven't noticed any instance of Anti-Aliasing at all.

Alot of the screens people have showed have been at like pixel to pixel focus.

When I sit back on my sofa it looks fine, if anything crisper. My wife asked if I was playing a new game..... despite watching me play this on and off some days ago.

At the moment I'm using PS4 Pro on a Sony Bravia 1080P TV from around 7 years ago

My brand new one turns up tomorrow with 4K and HDR so I won't be able to check that until then
Anti aliasing is a method of removing aliasing. Aliasing is the stair stepping you see between light and dark edges. So what you meant to say is you can't see aliasing. Sorry to be one of those correcting types here, but if you are going to come in this thread and claim nothing is wrong then you really have to describe what you are seeing correctly.

I posted screenshots with the issue yesterday and I have almost almost the same set up as you. Sony Bravia 1080p - Pro etc. My post - http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225317985. See the aliasing on Evie's hair, it's not that bad pre patch. I'm not on any anti Ubisoft crusade here, I like a lot of their games, especially this one. But we need to raise awareness so it gets fixed - not wave it away.

Audioboxer

Is this actually a good game at this point? I know it's on sale right now and I would jump if it actually supports my Pro on my 1080p TV.

Black Flag is still my favourite, but what I've played of Syndicate probably puts it near the top of the traditional AC games.

Ubi though can't do anything right, hence this "pro patch".

Anti aliasing is a method of removing aliasing. Aliasing is the stair stepping you see between light and dark edges. So what you meant to say is you can't see aliasing. Sorry to be one of those correcting types here, but if you are going to come in this thread and claim nothing is wrong then you really have to describe what you are seeing correctly.

I posted screenshots with the issue yesterday and I have almost almost the same set up as you. Sony Bravia 1080p - Pro etc. My post - http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225317985. See the aliasing on Evie's hair, it's not that bad pre patch. I'm not on any anti Ubisoft crusade here, I like a lot of their games, especially this one. But we need to raise awareness so it gets fixed - not wave it away.

Yeah I mean't aliasing, I'll edit my post.

I just honestly don't see any negative effects from the patch. I played it for a good couple of hours last night with no issues at all.

I'm not trying to wave it away, trust me i'd be bitching if it was negative to me because I'm legit halfway through this game for the first time

Minamu

As has already been mentioned, there are the Sherlock Holmes games. Heavy Rain also has a fair bit of investigating. Maybe Life is Strange could fit the bill, too? I haven't played LA Noire but I'm assuming it's also got a lot of investigative work in it.
LiS is a good idea, I'll check that out. I've played the others, just forgot about them :lol LA Noire sure does have investigations, it was awesome.

It's crazy good so far and I'm about 75% through. Even better with the season pass. The "influences" from Batman: Arkham Asylum are hilariously obvious but make for a much more enjoyable Creed for sure. The controls are much improved overall, though the standard Creed issues still remain, albeit diminished. Great era and characters, thoughtful mission objectives, nice consequences to mission successes. Actually likeable main characters! It's been a while since Kenway and Ezio. The present day stuff is still hit or miss though. So far, no actual gameplay there which is good (?)

LiS is a good idea, I'll check that out. I've played the others, just forgot about them :lol LA Noire sure does have investigations, it was awesome.

It's crazy good so far and I'm about 75% through. Even better with the season pass. The "influences" from Batman: Arkham Asylum are hilariously obvious but make for a much more enjoyable Creed for sure. The controls are much improved overall, though the standard Creed issues still remain, albeit diminished. Great era and characters, thoughtful mission objectives, nice consequences to mission successes. Actually likeable main characters! It's been a while since Kenway and Ezio. The present day stuff is still hit or miss though. So far, no actual gameplay there which is good (?)

Pretty much my views too. Having a blast.

Res bump on base PS4?

Ubi what... people theorised back when it launched that it was CPU rather than GPU bound on the PS4 due to dropping frames in the same place as on XB1 so I guess this confirms it. Mess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've sent one of the Ubisoft Support staff a pm about it.

Shoeless

I only just started playing this a few weeks ago myself. I have it installed on my original PS4, but not my Pro. I may have to rethink that, I assumed when this thread started that the patch was only for a 4K mode, and that there wouldn't be any benefits for Pro 1080.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Even at only 1080p its a big difference
PC 1080P shots
obaWpfu.jpg

LYqZ84F.jpg

1620p Upscaled to 4k and Supersampling from 1620p to 1080p should look amazingly good

Probably not within the time frame they had, and now they had a reason to go back to it.
Or maybe optimizing for the Pro, they found ways to optimize the normal version, too.

You think they did 900p on purpose? Why?

You don't remember Ubisoft's parity quest? There's no reason why the PS4 version should have only had a slight performance advantage over the Xbone version when it's 40% more powerful.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You don't remember Ubisoft's parity quest? There's no reason why the PS4 version should have only had a slight performance advantage over the Xbone version when it's 40% more powerful.
You can't use an arbitrary percentage when describing these things, especially since a lot of the things that are performance heavy in AC games are related to the CPUs.

arhra

Since the notes mentioned 1620p, I tried resizing some of the 4k shots down to that resolution (with nearest-neighbour filtering to avoid blurring).

Interestingly, if you look at them at full size, the "dithered" areas are now a perfect 1:1 pixel checkerboard, and a lot of the geometry looks quite nicely-rendered and more-or-less native at that resolution (the nearer buildings in the first shot, for example, at least where it's not suffering from the checkerboard fringing). Although areas with more movement are still kinda a blurry mess where they're also not devolving into checkerboarded fringing (and the LOD scaling/lower resolution textures on the more distant buildings are painfully obvious).

So clearly some part of their rendering pipeline is outputting at 1620p, before being upscaled (badly) to 4k.

I'm sticking with my previous guess - they're using (a buggy implementation of) something similar to the checkerboard rendering technique used in R6 Siege, which is giving the weird checkerboarded ghosting and fringing, then for some godforsaken reason using a nearest-neighbour upscale to full 4k, which just looks awful.

Salz01

So, I'm confused. Did this get a good PS4 pro patch? Is the image quality good on the pro now? It's at a good price and I'm tempted to buy, but only if the IQ is clean.

You can't use an arbitrary percentage when describing these things, especially since a lot of the things that are performance heavy in AC games are related to the CPUs.
Resolution = GPU-dependent (not just because of flops, but ROPs-wise too)
Framerate = CPU-dependent

And in case you have forgotten the parity fiasco:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nity-graphics-lock-for-parity-on-ps4-xbox-one

This is a huge slap in the face of PS4 customers... can you imagine what will happen if Scorpio has the same graphical settings as the PS4 Pro? Not fair at all.

Ubi owes everyone an apology.

Tycho_b

So, I'm confused. Did this get a good PS4 pro patch? Is the image quality good on the pro now? It's at a good price and I'm tempted to buy, but only if the IQ is clean.

If You are not trying to use a 20x magnifying glass on 2x2 cm screen area, it seems to do the job.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nity-graphics-lock-for-parity-on-ps4-xbox-one

This is a huge slap in the face of PS4 customers... can you imagine what will happen if Scorpio has the same graphical settings as the PS4 Pro? Not fair at all.

Framerate is CPU AND GPU dependent, but yeah, there's NO reason to run the game at 900p when there were no additional effects taking place in it. Both versions look exactly the same, even though one console is far more powerful than the other.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Just tried the game on base PS4 and they definetly did NOT update this to 1080p. The HUD icons look a little more clear now but thats it. I am 100% sure that it still runs at 900p. IQ still sucks and is what keeps the graphics from beeing really great imo.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The patch is buggy at the moment, but they at least INTEND for the game's resolution to improve, so I expect it'll be fixed.

It's a great game otherwise, so if the price is right I'd get it now and wait for a fix.
If You are not trying to use a 20x magnifying glass on 2x2 cm screen area, it seems to do the job.
This attitude doesn't help. The patch is buggy right now, no two ways about it.

EvB

Framerate is CPU AND GPU dependent, but yeah, there's NO reason to run the game at 900p when there were no additional effects taking place in it.

Well given that the checkerboard resolution solutionfor PS4 pro is rendering the game twice (once for each half of the APU) and is then combined to make the Checkboard 4K image, is it possible that a game that runs a sub 1080p image maybe doesn't place nice with Sony's solution? Or Ubi have made a mistake.

Is this the first 900p game to receive a pro patch?

Crossing Eden

Framerate is tied to both. And truth be told i'm honestly not expecting devs to really take full advantage of the headroom with scorpio besides showcases like the Tomb Raider games.

Framerate is CPU AND GPU dependent, but yeah, there's NO reason to run the game at 900p when there were no additional effects taking place in it. Both versions look exactly the same, even though one console is far more powerful than the other.
Framerate is tied to both. And truth be told i'm honestly not expecting devs to really take full advantage of the headroom with scorpio besides showcases like the Tomb Raider games.
For the most part it's CPU dependent... everyone knows that.

I can accept 900p on OG PS4, but only if I get the benefit of 60 fps (DICE/BF, ND/UC4 MP). 900p & 30 fps (more like 20-25 fps for AC Unity) is totally unacceptable!

No sane person would claim that 1.31 TF 16 ROPs (don't forget that) can yield the same results as a 1.84 TF 32 ROPs GPU.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 Pro GPU has 64 ROPs...

Crossing Eden

For the most part it's CPU dependent... everyone knows that.

I can accept 900p on OG PS4, but only if I get the benefit of 60 fps (DICE/BF, ND/UC4 MP). 900p & 30 fps (more like 20-25 fps for AC Unity) is totally unacceptable!

No sane person would claim that 1.31 TF 16 ROPs (don't forget that) can yield the same results as a 1.84 TF 32 ROPs GPU.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 Pro GPU has 64 ROPs...
AC:Unity at this moment runs between 30 and 24 fps, (depending on how stressed the engine is), but lol, these consoles would absolutely never in anyway shape or form run games like AC at 60fps. (Inb4 someone names MGSV which has an incredibly barren open world and way lower asset quality in comparison).

AC:Unity at this moment runs between 30 and 24 fps, (depending on how stressed the engine is), but lol, these consoles would absolutely never in anyway shape or form run games like AC at 60fps. (Inb4 someone names MGSV which has an incredibly barren open world and way lower asset quality in comparison).
Locked 30 fps + 1080p (OG) or 1440p supersampled (Pro) would be good for starters...

thelastword

Banned
I don't think anybody expected Unity to run at 60fps, but Unity is not as large and consistent in visual fidelity as GTA5 (which is based on a last gen game) and that runs pretty solid on the PS4 with many graphical bells, like Pom, lots of foliage, larger draw distance.....at a solid 30fps/1080p......

Perhaps if Unity was 1080p on the PS4 with it's framerate issues it would be a little easier to swallow, but 900p sub 30fps is never a good look or something to commend Ubisoft about or make excuses for them.

1080p would have never hindered Unity's and Syndicate's performance as I've always indicated, and the 1080p patch is going to prove it on Vanilla PS4.

Look at watch Dogs 2, the draw distance, foliage and ground detail is really impressive and that's running at 1080p and a solid 30fps on OG PS4.

It's clear they're using GPGPU on all their latest titles, and yes, perhaps it's too late to do that for Unity and Syndicate but the extra CPU boost on the Pro should iron out lots of framerate niggles without GPGPU use. I do hope they improve the graphical presets to Ultra quality for the Pro.. At 1620p, the Rx 480 should handle this well enough at 30fps....

I hope Unity, Primal, FC4 and the Division all get patches including RB6 Siege.......All of these games should look good with better graphical effects and a higher resolution. I'm eyeing the games I don't have yet on consoles, so Unity, Siege, pretty much all the sub native games, I'm looking to see what syndicate forebodes.....

Crossing Eden

I don't think anybody expected Unity to run at 60fps, but Unity is not as large and consistent in visual fidelity as GTA5 (which is based on a last gen game) and that runs pretty solid on the PS4 with many graphical bells, like Pom, lots of foliage, larger draw distance.....at a solid 30fps/1080p......

Perhaps if Unity was 1080p on the PS4 with it's framerate issues it would be a little easier to swallow, but 900p sub 30fps is never a good look or something to commend Ubisoft about or make excuses for them.

1080p would have never hindered Unity's and Syndicate's performance as I've always indicated, and the 1080p patch is going to prove it on Vanilla PS4.

Look at watch Dogs 2, the draw distance, foliage and ground detail is really impressive and that's running at 1080p and a solid 30fps on OG PS4.

It's clear they're using GPGPU on all their latest titles, and yes, perhaps it's too late to do that for Unity and Syndicate but the extra CPU boost on the Pro should iron out lots of framerate niggles without GPGPU use. I do hope they improve the graphical presets to Ultra quality for the Pro.. At 1620p, the Rx 480 should handle this well enough at 30fps....

I hope Unity, Primal, FC4 and the Division all get patches including RB6 Siege.......All of these games should look good with better graphical effects and a higher resolution. I'm eyeing the games I don't have yet on consoles, so Unity, Siege, pretty much all the sub native games, I'm looking to see what syndicate forebodes.....
You realize Unity runs the way it does because of incredibly intensive lighting data, GTAV runs the way it does because it never at any point in time looks like this:
15793441281_44e7440703_o.png

or this
16002745865_ed6a79b177_k.jpg

or this:
15823167132_cfae0edd64_o.png

and never a scene like this:
Assassins_Creed_Unity_SP_PanoramaKingsBeheading_1400x.jpg

unless you mod it to hell and back. For comparison, this is GTAV on PC
wBt2cuc.jpg

oNsb.png

It's night and day how far rendering technology has come. In Unity's case, there's is a shit ton of geometry data that has to be rendered, (especially since 1/4th of the buildings in game are completely explorable), on top of everything being much more high poly. What GTAV does well is a lot of unique assets exist in the game due to an insanely high budget, but when you look at them, it doesn't really look as amazing as your mind's eye would have you believe. I'd wait for performance tests at 1080p before claiming that upping the resolution results in no hit to performance. These games are a lot harder to run than AC4.

Top Bottom