• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Just Got Pro Support

Ferr986

Pro "support."

Bloodborne is another example. Its performance was never great on the PS4, and it's even worse on the PS4 Pro.

lol no, played Bloodborne the day before I got a Pro, and the day I got the Pro. 100% the same.

Hell, non patched games are the same on both systems. The games that are different, be better or worse, are the patched ones.

JP

This could well just be a matter of Ubisoft just fucking it up but I'm wondering if it's perhaps a side effect of them using the "Geometry Rendering" method that the PS4 Pro supports? I'm not sure if other games have used that method as I think they've all used one of the other two, as far as I know.

artsi

Bloodborne is another example. Its performance was never great on the PS4, and it's even worse on the PS4 Pro.

BPuIpkp.gif

It's 100% same.

onQ123

Be honest. Where did you pull that false info from?

No actual research but seen people asking for a Bloodborne PS4 Pro patch & now it's something that they use against PS4 Pro. Someone told me that if Bloodborne was a Xbox One game Xbox One S would have fixed the game. lol

This is not the last of the Bloodborne PS4 Pro silly posts you will see. it's on the list it's the go to PS4 Pro troll game.

Guys, it's only one game. It's unrealistic to hold developers to a standard where the game isn't worse on the Pro. If you don't understand that, you don't understand anything about game dev. /s

No actual research but seen people asking for a Bloodborne PS4 Pro patch & now it's something that they use against PS4 Pro. Someone told me that if Bloodborne was a Xbox One game Xbox One S would have fixed the game. lol
out of interest, did the xbox one s fix ds3's frame pacing issues? because that was the larger issue with bloodborne.

Ricker

This is not the last of the Bloodborne PS4 Pro silly posts you will see. it's on the list it's the go to PS4 Pro troll game.

Yeah and also its one of the most popular exclusive...I also played it on both PS4 and Pro and saw no difference,besides my placebo effect since it was one of the first game I tried(I told myself it might look a little better on PRO lol).

thelastword

Banned
Pro "support."

No, Bloodborne is a very stable 30fps, it's frametime however is out of sync so it feels like it's dropping frames....

I'll be honest, the situations with this and WoFF are the kind of things that made me weary about the existence of the Pro. A second hardware can do wonders for some games but it's just going to be headache for the devs and players if they don't have the time to make both versions. Yeah, you don't have to make a Pro revision yet it's happening and making games worse anyway. I really hope this is a temporary weirdness.

Plum

Another reason to add a "Pro Mode: On/Off" option in a the system menu for a game. I have no idea why Sony hasn't implemented anything like it yet.

I still think of it as an upscaling method though, and I think it's silly to argue that it isn't, as opposed to making sure everyone understands it's NOT traditional upscaling, something which I don't think anyene in here thinks. But I guess we are left arguing semantics.
Semantics matter. We don't call all four-legged domesticated carnivores "dogs", because it matters that some of them are cats. Having similarities doesn't make things identical. And in the case of checkerboard rendering, the similarities to upscaling are swamped by the differences.

It's fancy upscaling or upscaling with a different algorithm.
No it isn't. Traditional rendering derives pixel values from knowledge of 3D objects' position, motion, and orientation, augmented by other data, including the values of adjacent pixels.

Checkerboard rendering derives pixel values from knowledge of 3D objects' position, motion, and orientation, augmented by other data, primarily the values of adjacent pixels.

Scaling derives pixel values from the values of adjacent pixels, sometimes augmented by other pixel values.

I think this makes it very clear that checkerboard is a type of rendering, not a type of scaling.

Data is being generated where it isn't, whether you do that by duplicating or filling the gaps on a deferred context it doesn't change the point of the technique.
All rendering generates data where it isn't, but it'd be ridiculous to call it all "scaling".

We have up scaling and down scaling to make images bigger or smaller. How about we call checkerboarding something like "lateral scaling?"
Because it isn't scaling, it uses a very different method far more akin to traditional rendering.

I see this sort of thing improving with games that are built with the Pro in mind going forward but I wonder about current or older games. I think what I've found most annoying is the lack of PC-like settings you can flip on or off. Either way, the improvements to PSVR games alone has made the Pro a worthwhile purchase for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
A dithered LOD transition would only have one set of dithered pixels, but here you can clearly see 2 additional frames of ghosting from the dress (and faint hints of a third, discernable mostly through some additional noise that isn't present if you look far enough away from the dress):

tnaagnq.png

thumbsdowngns1o.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This has actually fucked me off, I mean why even bother

Edit, WTF its noticeable even at 1080p, steps everywhere.

Somebody please pixel count this game. It looks the same to me as the original ps4 version but not sure.

EDIT: I mean, it looks more crisp but there's some fuzziness to it.

Pro "support."

TODAY ON BREITBART: SATANIC VIDEOGAME INSPIRED ON JOHN PODESTA'S PIZZAGATE PERFORMS WORST ON ELITE-CLASS JAPANESE CONSOLE

TGO

I don't know... the patch says 2k native for 4k TV users, but it doesn't specify the native resolution for 1080p users... only "rendered in 1080p".
Whats their definition of 2k?
Because I don't even think its 1k

Somebody please pixel count this game. It looks the same to me as the original ps4 version but not sure.

TODAY ON BREITBART: SATANIC VIDEOGAME INSPIRED ON JOHN PODESTA'S PIZZAGATE PERFORMS WORST ON ELITE-CLASS JAPANESE CONSOLE
It looks worse, pixels everywhere.

DieH@rd

Banned

black070

Think I'm going to pull the trigger and rebuy it while it's still on sale, I'm certain this will be resolved - dynamic 4K and smoother performance sounds good to me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The wording is not clear. There could be no resolution increase for 4K, just an internal scaler inside the game that [badly] scales up regular 900p gameplay up to 4K.

However they clearly say that "For users without a 4K TV, the game will be rendered in 1080p."
I read thar as saying the game is supposed to render in 2K then upscale to 4K, while 1080p users get native 1080p (or perhaps a 2K downscale). Which sure as shit isn't what we're getting at the moment.

TGO

I read thar as saying the game is supposed to render in 2K then upscale to 4K, while 1080p users get native 1080p (or perhaps a 2K downscale). Which sure as shit isn't what we're getting at the moment.
Clear this up for me as camera specs are different, 1080p is 1k right? 2k is 1440p, Correct?

thelastword

Banned
Whats their definition of 2k?
Because I don't even think its 1k

It looks worse, pixels everywhere.
2k is 1080p basically, 2048 x 1080........

The way that community manager wrote this is weird though. He said that if you have a 4k tv that the game will render in native 2k to get to 4k, but that simply implies 1080p upscaled to 4k.

The second option actually means the same thing tbh, if you have a 1080p set, it's still rendering at 1080p. I don't see the difference in native rendering methods despite what TV you have. Maybe Ubi have to state this better than this.....

Harp

I can also confirm this looks like a blurry mess. Even if all they did was upscale the standard version it should looks a little cleaner. But even the details up close look stretched and blurry.

The game does feel smoother. Hopefully they fix it. Because this game is a perfect example of a game that would look amazing in 4k Quality

Top Bottom