• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

I really hope that the game Montreal is working actually has decent AI and has the sensibility not to have non hostile NPC's scattered all around an area you are supposed to sneak around in. It just looks so stupid in practice, and the dumbness of the AI + the general sense that detection isn't a penalty and you can easily deal with guard makes me wonder what is the point of stealth in the first place.

And I fucking hope it releases in a solid condition, because both AC3 and Unity, the "we've changed so much" games both released in abysmal quality.

Then again, unless the game they are working on is in a time period I actually care about, I probably won't pick it up.

The modern day has gone to total shit in Syndicate, and my obligation to buy each of these games has ended.

The next game will likely be from Ubisoft Toronto as that team started work on a new Assassin's Creed game right before Jade Raymond left after wrapping up Splinter Cell Blacklist. In terms of what Ubisoft Montreal are working on, they are likely hard at work on figuring out how to salvage Watch Dogs and on new games, (perhaps a pirate IP). Their Assassin's Creed game(s) are likely being cooked longer to get the tech and its components right.

That being said, Ubisoft have given me the time periods I've wanted to play the most. The Renaissance, Golden age of piracy, Victorian era and the French revolution have been done. While Jack the Ripper ended up being relegated to DLC despite me wanting a game revolving the entire murder mystery and Unity using the French revolution poorly, I'm satisfied.

The only things that would tempt me at the moment would be a Tenchu inspired game set in Feudal Japan or a Mafia setting in New York City of the 1920s. Other than that, I'm good.

Best wishes.

SmoothCB

Unity was a chore to play but Syndicate seems after a the first couple of hours to be much better. I really like the setting.

Guri

Good to know Evie seems as fun to play as the previews said. After a 3-year break from Assassin's Creed, I think I'll get back to it next year when I'll be able to play.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I'm in a conundrum about choosing weapons. I like to keep Evie and Jacob different so I kept her with the cane sword. However I'm having a hard time choosing between knuckles and kukri.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Davide

Imo it looks very good, that's acceptable LOD for far off objects since you are not going to get high quality models when you have an ariel view of a dense city like that. Most game don't even do that, infact Unity was way worse in this area and the textures on those buildings and land looked horrible in Unity even on PC.
I would think that better textures or even better AF would make landscapes look way better.

I think The Order spoiled me for Victorian London graphics. Story was pretty much Assassin's Creed anyway.

DrBo42

One change I definitely don't like is how people immediately know someone is dead after you kill them in a crowd. Usually they don't figure it out until they collapse but now a second after your blade goes in they freak out.

Eggbok

So Assassin gaffers, if Unity is considered an unworthy sequel, I take it Syndicate is worthy?

Unity was such a chore, the combat was shitty, the traversal was annoying, the ai was op. I didn't enjoy Unity until after I beat the main story.

Sydicate is quite the opposite (imo) the combat is much smoother and faster, the traversal is not as annoying because of the carriages and batclaw and the ai doesn't have the strength and aim of god.

Bucca

Coming off Unity (still unfinished and don't plan on finishing it): Thank FUCK for the toned down AI.

And whoever added bullet dodging in over at Ubisoft is a god among men.

Only on mission 4 but I am really enjoying the game so far, Evie is awesome as hell and I like the combat although its taking a bit getting used to. As someone who has played every game and thought AC3 and Unity were the weakest, this game is hitting all the right notes for me and I will be playing pretty much every free moment this weekend.

Lots and lots and lots of historical database entries to peruse through as well.

Bucca

This game is like the Black Flag to Unity's AC3.

Edit: Beaten, damn

sjay1994

One change I definitely don't like is how people immediately know someone is dead after you kill them in a crowd. Usually they don't figure it out until they collapse but now a second after your blade goes in they freak out.

The thing I hate is how the detection works from Ai. I'd rather have instant detection if I am spotted in a restricted area, instead of the dumb bar fills up thing that happens everywhere. I've seen footage of players just walking down the street, only for enemies to start detecting them, even though the player is doing nothing... and they do the same thing in restricted areas and it looks really dumb.

sjay1994

This game is like the Black Flag to Unity's AC3.

Edit: Beaten, damn

If anything, this trend is worrying, because the "game that changes everything" is probably going to have a lot of problems, and the one released after that is going to fix those problems. So the smart move would be to play these games once every two years.

sjay1994

The next game will likely be from Ubisoft Toronto as that team started work on a new Assassin's Creed game right before Jade Raymond left after wrapping up Splinter Cell Blacklist. In terms of what Ubisoft Montreal are working on, they are likely hard at work on figuring out how to salvage Watch Dogs and on new games, (perhaps a pirate IP). Their Assassin's Creed game(s) are likely being cooked longer to get the tech and its components right.

That being said, Ubisoft have given me the time periods I've wanted to play the most. The Renaissance, Golden age of piracy, Victorian era and the French revolution have been done. While Jack the Ripper ended up being relegated to DLC despite me wanting a game revolving the entire murder mystery and Unity using the French revolution poorly, I'm satisfied.

The only things that would tempt me at the moment would be a Tenchu inspired game set in Feudal Japan or a Mafia setting in New York City of the 1920s. Other than that, I'm good.

Best wishes.

I don't think toronto is going to be a lead studio, they mostly just to back up work for these games, and if they were Ubi would have announced that toronto would be leading the development of an AC, similar to when they announced Quebec would be the lead for a future game (syndicate) before Unity launched.

I'd like toronto to take a crack at it, because I enjoyed blacklist, and maybe they could turn AC into a good stealth game, instead of keeping it as a jack of all trades game.

can I restart a side activity while I am doing it? I am doing one where I have to free the children, with the full sync being to not trigger an alarm. It happened, and I dont see a way to restart checkpoint or anything

Yoday

Coming off Unity (still unfinished and don't plan on finishing it): Thank FUCK for the toned down AI.

You could dodge in Unity, the problem is that you could have multiple people aiming at you at once, and the icon was tied to the enemy, not the player. This meant that unless you were facing the enemy firing at you it was very easy to lose sight of the icon. It also had a very narrow timeframe in which you could actually dodge.

Karak

Hot damn glad people are liking it. Hardest game to review in ages for me but one that really is damn enjoyable despite issues.

Its one of a couple fantastic gameplay adds that snuck in and feels pretty organic.

Ascenion

Well I'm on sequence 4 and I've got to say I'm definitely loving the game, but Jacob and Evie in my opinion play exactly the same aside from the exclusive skills. It's almost pointless having two characters imo.

really hoping the PC version turns out well...the positive impressions make it a hard wait

hoping Ubisoft will take the time to show it actually running before release plus they still have to say what the requirements will be

Vire

Is there anyone here who bought this that thought Unity was a steaming pile of shit and are enjoying this? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Initial first impressions after the first couple sequences:
- I think Unity was technically better looking but Syndicate actually runs and isn't a broken mess (so far anyway).
- I really like the main protagonists. They have that charm about them that Ezio and Edward had.
- The combat is really fun and pretty damn brutal.
- Everything seems way more fluid than Unity.

RedAssedApe

Banned
to anyone that has used theirs already, are the master assassin pack codes that come with the game unique to your game? or can they be reused by others.

mine seems to be a fairly generic word and number combo.

ryseing

Is there anyone here who bought this that thought Unity was a steaming pile of shit and are enjoying this? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I would fall into that category. Jacob/Evie>>>>>Arno. The twins are way better protagonists. Not many tutorials- you're in London within the first hour. London's more interesting than Paris, and the grappling hook's a major game changer. Lots of QoL improvements including the combat, which is much more visceral.

Pretty damn enjoyable thus far. Cane sword is GOAT.

As some others have stated, I'm loving the positive overall word of mouth on this one. Happy to see the game is so much better than Unity.

Can't wait to pick this up on PC, hopefully the port is solid.

Drewfonse

Loving the positive impressions. My Xbox One version is on the way. First time that I've been legitimately excited for an AC game since 2.

Kemal86

Do the Hidden Blades matter in this one? Can you do combat with them?

Having options for other weapons is certainly good, but I think the gradual move away from the hidden blade as a 'signature' of the series has been a mistake. I hated not being able to fight with them in Unity.

Guys, I just beat Unity and I'm still feeling that itch. Should I go Gold Edition or no?

I got the gold edition. It immediately gives you permanent double xp, which is nice I guess but a bit overkill. Makes the game easier obviously. Gives you a mission that is exclusive to the season pass(havent played it yet), and it also give you a sherlock holmes-ish outfit.

The Jack the Ripper dlc looks cool too..

I usually buy assassins creed gold editions on launch, and this seems to be the one that gives you the most stuff immediately

coming in November...

http://blog.ubi.com/free-assassins-creed-syndicate-outfits/

final.jpg

KrisB

I'm in that camp.

Nearly up to Sequence 5 and the difference between the two is night and day, much more enjoyable. Grappling hook is great, you can really see that they've taken some notes out of the Batman games. Runs smoother, only had the one crash so far but thankfully didn't lose any progress. The characters are really likable, combat feels solid. Not much in the way of tutorials at all, you're straight into the action so great for people that are already familiar with the series.

Hupsel

I am enjoying it so far, played for 4 hours. Last game I played was Black Flag and, different from a lot of people, I didnt like the big focus on boats.

Game looks smaller than Unity in scope, but in the end it's better since it's more focused. I like the heroes so far, some cool dialogue, nothing incredible but still good. Story missions so far are varied and fun. Visuals are pretty good, character design for your heroes and allies are very well done. Evie looks amazing.

Combat looks a bit better than in the past games, but its still too easy to button mash and win, occasionally dodging or breaking the enemy guard. Animations are pretty cool for the weapons, but a bit overdone. I hope they dont get tiresome later on.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got the gold edition. It immediately gives you permanent double xp, which is nice I guess but a bit overkill. Makes the game easier obviously. Gives you a mission that is exclusive to the season pass(havent played it yet), and it also give you a sherlock holmes-ish outfit.

The Jack the Ripper dlc looks cool too..

I usually buy assassins creed gold editions on launch, and this seems to be the one that gives you the most stuff immediately

Is there any way to disable double xp?

It's kind of offensive that Ubi assumes that all people who buy DLC also want pay to win as well. Ugh.

Hmm. I can see were it is looking quite nice. But maybe I'm just getting old because it just seems excessively violent. But then it is called Assasin's Creed.
Also some of the voices seem off. Darwin for example. Looks 65yrs old, sounds around 30. Jarring. Still, I'm kinda' interested.

Top Bottom