• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Quonny

Just got the platinum.

Loved the game, with a few minor reservations. Had a few glitches, a few crashes, but nothing awful.

The latter half of the game is super Jacob focused, which is a shame. I really don't understand why there are so many bonus objectives tied to stealth for Jacob. The fight club is really easy and gives you massive amounts of EXP and resources. Taking someone hostage makes even the most stealthy of missions way too easy. You can literally run up to a full room, take someone hostage, and if there's no one within like 2 feet of you the AI just goes "oh well" and ignores you.

That said, I loved the story. Loved the characters. Loved the setting. I really liked how some bonus stuff gave you insight into the time period, whereas other things like the helix bits did nothing but were just there for something to do. Carriages weren't too bad to drive once you got used to them.

Can't wait to see what they do with a year off.

Chase17

Have all the trophies aside from without a grudge.

Knew it was supposed to be a grind so I drove like a maniac throughout the entirity of the game. Guess I'll have to take some time to go for it now.

Really enjoyed the game.

Edit: Finally got it

iNvid02

i just got a 430mb update on uplay, im guessing thats the last maharaja dlc? time to wrap syndicate up hopefully

edit: couldnt see em in game, patch notes say 'added support' so it's probably a few days off

Zero-ELEC

Banned

SlickVic

Watched part of The Last Maharaja stream since didn't want to spoil the missions for myself, but they did mention it was coming out "next week" for all the platforms. Not sure why they haven't mentioned it on Twitter yet. From my brief glimpses from the steam it seems set up like the side quests from the main game in terms of being able to play as Evie or Jacob (which I was glad to see as I was wondering if this content was just going to be for Jacob), but also seems to have some more involved cutscenes more akin to the main story missions. Again just based on some brief looks at the stream, but looking forward to it.

Squire

Banned
Watched part of The Last Maharaja stream since didn't want to spoil the missions for myself, but they did mention it was coming out "next week" for all the platforms. Not sure why they haven't mentioned it on Twitter yet. From my brief glimpses from the steam it seems set up like the side quests from the main game in terms of being able to play as Evie or Jacob (which I was glad to see as I was wondering if this content was just going to be for Jacob), but also seems to have some more involved cutscenes more akin to the main story missions. Again just based on some brief looks at the stream, but looking forward to it.

Oh, I might get this after all if you can play as Evie.

Falchion

Just started this and beat sequence 3, really digging it so far. The stealth feels good and I like being able to switch between Jacob and Evie. I wish there was a dedicated button to switch characters (like hold down on the D pad and select whichever one), but I've been using Evie more so far and trying a stealth approach.

8bit

Knows the Score
Currently in a phone meeting but the first mission appeared in the overworld so it's not separate like the Ripper DLC.

Paganmoon

Well it's buggy that's for sure. On second memory, the train does not move, making it impossible to complete. Reloaded a few times with the same results.

8bit

Knows the Score
Well it's buggy that's for sure. On second memory, the train does not move, making it impossible to complete. Reloaded a few times with the same results.

On the first mission I found it difficult to get back to Henry because I kept bouncing off invisible people. The Ripper stuff was a bit buggy too, IIRC. Also, some bad misspellings but nothing that made it impossible to finish.

I'm glad to get the content soon after finishing the game as I usually end up forgetting the nuances of the controls and spend half of the DLC fumbling and tumbling moreso than is normal though.

I have the Gold edition but it's telling me I need to pay $7? Thought this was part of the season pass?

edit: XB1 by the way. In-game store says free, then when I click it to go to the store page it prompts me to pay $7.

Also, how lazy to not include any new achievements. Disappointed.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have the Gold edition but it's telling me I need to pay $7? Thought this was part of the season pass?

edit: XB1 by the way. In-game store says free, then when I click it to go to the store page it prompts me to pay $7.

Also, how lazy to not include any new achievements. Disappointed.
Having the same issue here. Also happened with Jack the Ripper.

really strange to see this dlc not have any achievements/trophies, even the character packs for old AC games multiplayer had achievements.

I'll probably get around to playing it tomorrow...didnt even know it was coming out until the day it was released

Muffdraul

Haven't played an AC game since black flag and didn't like it at all. Any chance I'd like this?

Black Flag was by far my least favorite AC, it's the only one I played only once. Yes, I managed to get through AC3 and even Unity at least twice. And I loved the shit out of Syndicate, IMO it's the best since AC2. Better than Brotherhood.

Toa TAK

Banned
Black Flag was by far my least favorite AC, it's the only one I played only once. Yes, I managed to get through AC3 and even Unity at least twice. And I loved the shit out of Syndicate, IMO it's the best since AC2. Better than Brotherhood.

Now we're talking (minus Unity anyways).

Finished the DLC, full synched. And while I would've liked the cut-scenes to be consistent throughout (the nicer ones), it was nice to be able to have more missions to play through.

Paganmoon

Done with the DLC, it was ok storywise, nothing special, a bit buggy at times, counted 3 bugs that had me restart the memory or the game to be able to progress.

Total completion 94% (not going to bother with the damned chests)
Missing 2 trophies for platinum (No ticket and without a grudge).

All in all, enjoyable AC, really liked Evie, But nothing more to do, so time to trade it in.

iNvid02

hmm I did not enjoy this final dlc much, missions seemed varied but I killed a lot of Templars in the last few hours, and it felt like bit of a slog. I think it's partly down to me dropping this game and coming back to it after playing so many other things, find it hard to get back into the swing of things which hampers enjoyment a little. Really should buy and play stuff when it's all available.

I dunno if I would have gotten through it without the mildly intriguing storyline, and that's only because the source subject is so interesting.

i cant seem to progress the dlc anymore. I did 3 missions, last one was the one in the
bank
. There is no marker or anything for the next memory. Tried restarting the game even and there is nothing on the map

Paganmoon

i cant seem to progress the dlc anymore. I did 3 missions, last one was the one in the
bank
. There is no marker or anything for the next memory. Tried restarting the game even and there is nothing on the map

How far along the main story are you, and what level? I think they're tied to level a bit. Anyway, as i said, DLC is buggy, so could be that, try starting something else, or go to an earlier memory and exit, see if it resets?

How far along the main story are you, and what level? I think they're tied to level a bit. Anyway, as i said, DLC is buggy, so could be that, try starting something else, or go to an earlier memory and exit, see if it resets?

oh, ive been 100% done with the game with platinum for months

8bit

Knows the Score
Finished the Last Maharaja DLC, and it was a bit underwhelming to be honest. Shame, the Ripper DLC was quite inventive in comparison.

I thought I was done with AC games after Unity. Not even that I didn't like unity, cause honestly I loved the setting, the characters were cool, graphics were beautiful, but I just got bored and gave up after about 2/3rds. Either way on a backlog blitz I was determined to finish Unity, so I polished off the last few missions, and then bought a Syndicate uplay code on a whim. Glad I did, as its been great so far. I thought the addition of the grappling hook would take away from the traversal aspect of the game, but it really improves the game overall. Makes for much better combat being able to save your ass by hookshotting out at the last second. Still quite early in, but I love Evie, she's awesome. Jacob isn't too bad either, at least he's not a complete plank like Conor, even if he is a bit of a smug arse.
So far id definitely rank it among the better AC titles, the best being AC2, Brotherhood, BF, and Syndicate. Average ones being Unity, AC1, and dismal ones being Revelations, and AC3

Just finished. First AC I've played from start to finish since Brotherhood.

Game needed more Evie running shit in London and less of Jacob's dumb ass.

Falchion

Having a blast so far even though it seems like certain aspects could've used a bit more time to polish. Just got to the
World War I bit where you play as Evie or Jacob's daughter presumably. I really liked the WW2 parts of Unity so this expanded version of that concept is pretty cool.
I've already put like 16 hours into the game but it doesn't feel like it at all.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Haven't long started playing this, I pick up AC every year but I thought I would give this one a bit of a gap and seeing as we are apparently not getting a proper console AC release this winter I figured why not jump into it now when it's going to be a while before the next.

So my real issue with the game, is there a way to stop the damn bonus content pop-ups every time I turn the game on? it's currently the reason I use rest mode so I don't have to see them every time I load the game up.

I believe I am on sequence 4 or 5 and personally I find there is far too much Jacob over Evie generally and fear it is just going to get worse. I would have preferred if they designed them to be more dissimilar than they are ability wise and let you play as either on every single mission. Or even let you play both on every mission letting you tackle problems as you want with either, would allow the characters to play off each other more. The combat also feels a bit off for some reason, I'll be hitting buttons to attack and want to counter but due to them being in the middle of an animation seemingly ignore my commands and have a habit of getting smacked in the face numerous time's in a battle because haven't finished their sequence of moves they have to complete that I pressed 5 seconds ago.

London is pretty cool, but I part of me feels the location along with Paris in Unity came a bit late, or even too soon if they are planning some sort of light reboot with the next release and the gap we have this year.

As nice as some of these characters are as well I don't think Ubisoft know how to capture the magic they had with Ezio, or they are too scared to have us play the same one across multiple games again, we essentially played the main events in his life while also mirroring it with the progression of a modern day character, though that eventually fell flat on its face.

I think the biggest mistake was opening up time places and memories from anybody, the whole point of the present day stuff was reliving an ancestors life to help the present day characters. The present day stuff just seems kind of pointless now though, well, at least as far as I have gotten in the game, but they didn't really do anything in Unity either. The series is just becoming a waste of fantastic locations wasted on meaningless stories for the sake of having to make another game every year.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much considering I'm not massively far into the game, so I'll go back to playing now.

Faenix1

This is apparently $29.99 at a ebgames "Spring clearance sale" should I get it or wait and see if the gold edition goes on a decent sale?

(Currently like $110 CAD or so)

malfcn

Is "Look out below" glitched for anyone else? My Xbox says 100% but it didn't pop the achievement. -_-

Still locked.

Doing my collections before finishing it off. I think I'm in 7 right now. Missing two letters. Enjoying this one, even though I didn't know who a few people were in the story.

The two characters play pretty similar. Evie just seems cooler. And has better outfits.

Davide

At Chapter 5/6, just cannot get into this game, it's so dull and and even looks boring. Assassin's Creed games used to my must-play games that would never end up on my backlog. Maybe I should should try switching back to Rogue...or waiting for a remastered ACII.

Megatron

I just got the game and am loving it so far. A great return to form for AC. Count me as someone who didn't like 4 that much. I hated controlling the boats.

Fliesen

yo, just platinumed doom, and a few of the ""SJW"" threads recently have made me reminisce about the great time i had with Syndicate.

that Jack the Ripper DLC any good? ... you only play as Jacob, right?
worth the 15€ for a completionist who's up for climbing some rooftops and platinumed the original game?

Paganmoon

yo, just platinumed doom, and a few of the ""SJW"" threads recently have made me reminisce about the great time i had with Syndicate.

that Jack the Ripper DLC any good? ... you only play as Jacob, right?
worth the 15€ for a completionist who's up for climbing some rooftops and platinumed the original game?

It's good, a bit different from the main game (not much but still), and no you play mostly as Evie.

What "SJW" threads by the way?

Fliesen

It's good, a bit different from the main game (not much but still), and no you play mostly as Evie.

What "SJW" threads by the way?

there was a thread about "Dishonored 2 prominently featuring an LGBT character" and i used Syndicate as a positive example on how to include diverse characters without needing to make that a defining part of their story arc.
Ned Wynert's gender identity wasn't really a narrative talking point in Syndicate, he was just an NPC who proved himself useful to the player character.

And the thread about only 3% of games featuring exclusively female protagonists - the discussion about female antagonists came up, which - once again - Syndicate is a really great example of how to do it right, seeing how so many of the London street thugs are female.

Also, the "vote with your wallet - not with outrage" sentiment can be somewhat disproven by the fact that Assassin's creed Unity sold decently well, yet Ubisoft took the backlash over the lack of a female player character (especially in the 4-player-coop multiplayer) to heart and plastered women all over their next installment.

Yeah, so that's how i got back in the mood for some syndicate ;)

Paganmoon

there was a thread about "Dishonored 2 prominently featuring an LGBT character" and i used Syndicate as a positive example on how to include diverse characters without needing to make that a defining part of their story arc.
Ned Wynert's gender identity wasn't really a narrative talking point in Syndicate, he was just an NPC who proved himself useful to the player character.

And the thread about only 3% of games featuring exclusively female protagonists - the discussion about female antagonists came up, which - once again - Syndicate is a really great example of how to do it right, seeing how so many of the London street thugs are female.

Also, the "vote with your wallet - not with outrage" sentiment can be somewhat disproven by the fact that Assassin's creed Unity sold decently well, yet Ubisoft took the backlash over the lack of a female player character (especially in the 4-player-coop multiplayer) to heart and plastered women all over their next installment.

Yeah, so that's how i got back in the mood for some syndicate ;)

Ahh right. I'm not too sure that things were changed immensely for Syndicate based on Unity's reception though, I don't think you change so much about a game within a year, could've helped make Evie more prominent in their advertisements though.
Agree about Ned, he just was himself, a character in the game. This is something The Witcher tried and failed at imo (and still somewhat gets praised for it?), but I guess that really tells more about the culture of "current dev people put on a pedestal".

Anyway, I'd recommend the DLC, I enjoyed it. As I mentioned, they've changed/added some gameplay mechanics, so it can be a slight bit different, but still very much Assassin's Creed.

Fliesen

Ahh right. I'm not too sure that things were changed immensely for Syndicate based on Unity's reception though, I don't think you change so much about a game within a year, could've helped make Evie more prominent in their advertisements though.
Agree about Ned, he just was himself, a character in the game. This is something The Witcher tried and failed at imo (and still somewhat gets praised for it?), but I guess that really tells more about the culture of "current dev people put on a pedestal".

Anyway, I'd recommend the DLC, I enjoyed it. As I mentioned, they've changed/added some gameplay mechanics, so it can be a slight bit different, but still very much Assassin's Creed.

the Witcher failed, yes. The transperson in the witcher was more or less used for laughs, sadly.
And i do believe that 1 year is more than enough time to be adding more female enemy NPCs and more prominently use the female protagonist - maybe by adding some filler missions.

You could clearly tell that Jacob was originally the main protagonist, seeing as so many of the core story missions are his.

but thanks anyways, downloading the DLC as we speak ;)

Montresor

On XB1, the Jack The Ripper DLC is half off at $10 (Canadian dollars).

I don't own Syndicate yet but I plan on playing it some day. I'm trying to decide whether or not Jack The Ripper is the only DLC I will purchase or if I should wait to buy a Gold Edition of the game or wait for a good sale on the season pass.

The store says the season pass includes:

1) Jack The Ripper
2) Exclusive A Long Night mission
3) Two top-tier sets of gear and weapons
4) The Last Maharaja mission pack
5) Permanent XP boost
6) 500 Helix credits
7) Streets of London game play pack

Is all of that stuff (minus Jack The Ripper), things that I can live without and still have the best enjoyment out of this game? Are any of those exclusive missions uncharacteristically incredible? And are the quality of life boosts (gear, XP boosts, 500 Helix credits), something I can live without too?

Think AC Unity - I don't believe I spent a single dime on DLC in that game, but playing the game normally still gave me enough Helix credits to purchase all the right collectible maps. And with Cafe missions, I never had to worry about in-game currency. Just wondering if it's the same in Syndicate.

Top Bottom