• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Game is absolutely fantastic.

They pretty much fixed everything I hated about Unity.

Although the combat can still be frustrating and lead to much gamers rage

TheYanger

Good lord the loading times here are terrible.

I wonder if I need to rebuild my PS4 database. They are beyond wretched.

If it's when you're fast travelling or otherwise restarting the game, they're always long in these games. You shouldn't need to see an actual loading screen though aside from doing that (I often don't bother to fast travel unless I'm going REALLY far).

UrbanRats

Finished the critical path.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but with some pretty big reservations.

First of all, the amount of crashes I've experienced in this was nothing short of embarrassing, Ubisoft Kiev needs to get their shit together, because it's one of the reasons why I probably won't go back to finish all the side stuff.

Second of all, the game felt very cheaply made often times, and like a budget entry or something.
Those reused character models went into comical territory.

Lastly, the combat, while not annoyingly punishing as Unity, was utterly brain dead, simple and just plain not fun.

Oh, and why make Evie go invisible? It looks so stupid.

On the positive side, I thought that pretty much all activities were more or less fun in their own way, and the black box missions felt more open and more clear in their quirks, than they did in Unity.
I liked Evie, Jacob was the nth attempt to have the smart ass guy... Zzz.

The Thames was probably the greatest level design in an AC game to date, just super fun to jump around in moving platforms.

I also really liked the
WW1 chapter
, especially the costume, for some reason, I wish I could have it in the main game.

TL;DR: Fun, but unambitious game, plagued by constant crashes that bring it down a lot, on PC.
I have some faith that Empire might end up good, but I have zero hope in Ubisoft Kiev's ability to make a decent PC port at this point.

GeeTeeCee

So I finished the game and got the Platinum trophy yesterday, I loved the game overall, but whoever designed that "destroy 5000 objects with a carriage" trophy has made an enemy for life. Everything else was fun to do.

I've got one complaint about the final murder mystery sidequest:
your solving of the case has no bearing on the outcome. Raymond comes up with a pretty excellent plan to steal the sceptre, taking inspiration from all the previous cases he observed. It's a smart plan... right up until he inexplicably decides to head to the roof of the palace and take a hostage for no reason. You don't even have to track him down; Abberline tells you where he is. Why even go to the trouble of stealing a uniform and faking your own death when you're just going to screw it all up by practically inviting the Assassins to come and end you?
. I loved all the other sidequests in this chain though.

Just recently finished and enjoyed the game. I'm just a few days short of my 64th birthday, and contrary to opinions of some, we boomers enjoy playing these games. They keep my mind quick thinking and sharp. Overall, I thought it had a very good story and liked Jacob and Evie. Haven't tackled Jack the Ripper DLC yet but hope to finish it up and then will be ready to start RotTR coming up later this month. My highest combo count got up to 111 in regular game combat. I'm sure many of you have beaten that count but not bad for me.

acs_combo.png

Just recently finished and enjoyed the game. I'm just a few days short of my 64th birthday, and contrary to opinions of some, we boomers enjoy playing these games. They keep my mind quick thinking and sharp. Overall, I thought it had a very good story and liked Jacob and Evie. Haven't tackled Jack the Ripper DLC yet but hope to finish it up and then will be ready to start RotTR coming up later this month. My highest combo count got up to 111 in regular game combat. I'm sure many of you have beaten that count but not bad for me.

acs_combo.png

That's epic. I'll never stop playing games. :)

Xeteh

I didn't play Unity but why has it taken it this many games to get a sneaking mechanic? It isn't anything special but it makes things so much better. I remember telling my friend back after Revelations/3 that this game desperately needed a a way to crouch down and hide behind things for "remain undetected" missions and while there's fewer of those than ever I really appreciate the difference it made.

End game:
Evie and Henry's romance felt really pointless and forced. Saw them leaning towards it earlier in the game and really hoped they wouldn't.
Oh well, doesn't really matter.

I was really hoping
Lydia's outfit
would be available for Evie eventually, it was awesome.

Trying to get Ned and Robert's loyalty up to 5 and it is so goddamn slow. Ned's especially.

Wagram

Playing through Unity now myself (I buy AC one year after release). Holy fuck man the combat and controls are TRASH in Unity. They're better in Syndicate right?

J_Viper

Playing through Unity now myself (I buy AC one year after release). Holy fuck man the combat and controls are TRASH in Unity. They're better in Syndicate right?
They've been massively improved.

Everyone involved in Unity should never work in video games again. That game is an absolute dumpster fire.

SomTervo

They've been massively improved.

Everyone involved in Unity should never work in video games again. That game is an absolute dumpster fire.

That's a horrible thing to say. Unity was good, just horrifically mismanaged on the tech side. Dafuq is with such insanely over the top opinions about that game. If you look at it only in terms of world design, Unity was a masterpiece. You think all those artists should leave the industry?

I thought the controls in Unity were a huge improvement over every previous AC game. Seriously, you don't realise how clunky the last-gen ones were until you go back.

But yes, Syndicate is an improvement in every way and the best game in the series.

SomTervo

acs_combo.png

That beats my top combo by four times and I'm less than half your age! I'll be showing my dad your post - he's a child of '53 and doesn't play any games, despite enjoying them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got my platinum for this. So far Black Flag and Revelations are the only ones I haven't platinumed.

Ill share my thoughts later. It was fantastic with some minor annoyances.

That beats my top combo by four times and I'm less than half your age! I'll be showing my dad your post - he's a child of '53 and doesn't play any games, despite enjoying them.

Tell your dad to jump on in... the gaming is fun! I got my beta key for The Division coming up and I'm hoping I might get to join in with some Gaffer's.

Started this yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I got the gold edition for cheap, so I have all the dlc too. They did a really good job with the city.

Squire

Banned
I also had no real issue with kidnappings. I didn't even knock them out, for the most part. Did that on like two occasions, maybe three, that I can remember.

Ralemont

not me
So I'm still enjoying my time, but I feel the same way I've felt about the last few ACs: it's too long. I think I got the AC2 platinum in about 40 hours, and I think that's about the right completionist length. I don't know if there's a way to check your time in-game, but I'm probably at about 50-60 hours and I still have Westminster and the Secret Area to go through. I dunno, at some point it's just too much.

Also, I'll likely do a full LTTP with gifs and everything, but I just wanted to say that this game shows what you should and should not do with collection quests. Bad: glitches, chests, newspaper, beer bottles. Nothing much to them, there's way too many of them, etc. Good? The music boxes! I love finding them. There's only 4-5 per area and they each are their own little visual puzzle to solve based off the hints. Feels like time was spent on them and accordingly I enjoyed my time spent finding them. That they will eventually unlock something cool is just icing on the cake.

Paganmoon

Has anyone read the tie in book underworld? Does it follow the game story or is set before?

It's set before and during, it will spoil the ending, and the book is pretty damned bad overall. My first and last AC tie in book.

Finished the game now, Really liked the ending fight, don't get the hate. Had more fun playing Evie than Jacob, as Jacob was more of a brute than an assassin (much the same reason I didn't like AC3/Connor actually).

The flower collection and resulting
attraction between Evie and Henry really felt shoehorned. The writers could've probably done better job with adding some chemistry between those two.

The Dreadful Crimes were awesome. People are heaping so much praise over Witcher 3 and it's witching quests, which where basically, go to place, hold right bumper, follow path, have Geralt spell out information, and come to a conclusion, and off you go to do something.
Syndicate does investigations so much better! You get the info, but don't get the results spelled out, you have to come to a conclusion yourself, and granted they aren't -that- hard, but it's much more satisfying to actually feel -you- are the one who solved something, than in Witcher 3, where Geralt spells everything out most of the time, and you just follow a path.

Other tidbits:
Did have some pretty heavy framedrops on the PS4, specially in the latter parts of the game. But otherwise a step up from Unity (Syndicate also crashed twice on me).

I sort of miss the puzzles you had to do to get additional info, or present day info in the older games. Was a good break from roaming every now and then.

The controls are much improved and much more responsive than (release version of) Unity, though there were still a few occasions of having to "fight the controller" to get your character to do what you wanted. Many times did I yell out "no, you fuck, go DOWN, I'm mashing O, Step the hell down from the railing!"
But to a much lesser extent than in Unity. Overall, the parkour controls were much better.

Also, ending spoilers, also for Watch dogs and Unity
Finally! A cool and capable female character that doesn't die in the final act of a big budget Ubisoft game! After killing of Clara in Watch Dogs and Elise in Unity, I was half expecting Evie to die in some BS way for "the feels" as Ubi had done in 2 of their major preceding games.

illusionary

The last penny dreadful mission was great.
Are there any other crime solving games like that around? Besides LA noire.

I realise that this post was a month ago - but if you were still to see this, try Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments.

Oh yes, and this also allows me the opportunity to plug 2015's true GOTY :p The Witcher III has at least one sequence along these lines. :D

I realise that this post was a month ago - but if you were still to see this, try Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments.

Oh yes, and this also allows me the opportunity to plug 2015's true GOTY :p The Witcher III has at least one sequence along these lines. :D

I'll second that. The Sherlock Holmes games are fantastic.

Squire

Banned

Geralt is easily one of the best detectives in gaming. A Witcher is an investigator almost as much as he is a monster slayer.

acs_combo.png

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm also happy to hear of more older gamers.

I'm not too far away from finishing my playthrough (of the version I didn't beat the first time.) I'm on memory sequence 7.

I still have the World War segments to do, but I never did them before, outside of the first part. With those calculated in, how much longer do you think I have?

And should I bother with any of the London stories? I didn't have time for those before.

illusionary

Finally platinumed yesterday (Without A Grudge really is a pain of a trophy!). I'm going to have to leave the game at "99%" completion, though, however annoying that may be... finding those last few helix glitches when I've no idea which they are is just too much of a pain.

I knew that I should have bought the glitch tracker rather than secrets map with my free helix credits...

That aside, though, this has been superb game pretty much throughout, with some very interesting missions and great variety of objectives compared to other recent entries in the series. Stealth in particular has been implemented here very well and Evie was definitely my character of choice between the Frye twins.

Now time for Life Is Strange and The Witness!

8bit

Knows the Score
Finished it last night (well, up to the Victoria missions), had a great time with it overall.
Evie & Jacob are such fun characters, the Batrope is fantastic and it didn't feel too long. The Thames is one of the best designed areas in any of the games and I love the idea of a moving HQ. Also had a great time with the fight clubs.

Went to start the Jack the Ripper DLC, but not sure I can play as Jack without feeling a bit conflicted about it.

Props for the You Wouldn't Steal A Policeman's Helmet achievement though. That's funny.

Squire

Banned

acs_combo.png

I missed this post, but it put a smile on my face I think it's really dope* that you're having a good time with this stuff. RoTTR is awesome, too. You're in for a treat!

(*= "dope" means cool)

Paganmoon

Anyone else have problems with the Jack the Ripper DLC on PS4? Whenever I'm on a carriage going fast, I get these "locks", it feels like the game has problems streaming data off the harddrive, so it "locks" for like half a second every now and then to load in textures. This only so far has happened while on a carriage, and going really fast, and when it does, it's every 4-5 seconds.

Edit: apparently it's a common issue, and "is being investigated" since mid December, so I'm guessing it won't be fixed any time soon, if it's already been a month and no info.
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3wynpp/bug_no_spoilers_jtr_on_ps4_game_repeatedly/
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...ge-chase-after-Jack-the-Ripper-Release/page7?

If Ubisoft wants to keep doing these "don't kill anyone" bonus objectives, then they're going to need to add a bunch more non lethal items for Assassins to use, because a lot of these objectives are bullshit due to their wonky controls.

8bit

Knows the Score
Finished the Ripper DLC, that was one of the most well rounded DLC I haved played in some time. Bit uncomfortable playing as one of history's greatest villain in parts but it reinforces Evie as a great character. Would love to see her get the same treatment Ezio did but doubt that will happen.

Was a bit buggy graphically in parts though. And some shocking misspelling.

I missed this post, but it put a smile on my face I think it's really dope* that you're having a good time with this stuff. RoTTR is awesome, too. You're in for a treat!

(*= "dope" means cool)

Thanks... just finished ROTTR and it was pretty good.

Yeah, I get the drift of "dope" and most of the lingo I play online games with my son who is in the AF stationed in Minot, North Dakota and my daughter who is completing her final year of residency getting her doctorates.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Thinking of getting this. I have not played an Assassins Creed since the mess that was 3. Is it worth getting back into it for this one?

moojito

Thinking of getting this. I have not played an Assassins Creed since the mess that was 3. Is it worth getting back into it for this one?

I don't think you're going to get too objective an opinion from the OT. It's like going to the official AC appreciation forum and asking.

I'd suggest watching one of the many let's plays or something and judge for yourself, bearing in mind what you did or didn't like about the previous games.

For my part, I was put off in a big way by the irritating mission types of previous games. Insta fail eavesdropping missions and the like. The developer seems to have gone way out of their way to avoid stuff like that in this game.
Best thing about the game for me is just the atmosphere. I could walk around soaking it in for ages, not even playing anything.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I have the game on Uplay, is there a way to link the Uplay account to Steam? Or does it only works the other way around?

The latter, I'm afraid.

Haven't played an AC game since black flag and didn't like it at all. Any chance I'd like this?

What sort of AC game do you like? What didn't you like about IV: Black Flag? I mean, some people have compared it (favourably) to Brotherhood, but like every other AssCreed, YMMV.

Top Bottom