• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Squire

Banned
Gamestop has the Evie and Jacob figures on sale for 25€ each (down from the usual 40€)
Not sure if this is in every country.

I don't think the order matters much. Sequence 8 feels like a separate episode, that's probably why it does unlock earlier.
I did play them in order though. Totally confusing when sequence 8 suddenly unlocked and I hadn't played 7 yet.

Yeah, I started it tonight. Just finished 6 and played 7 first.

So I have just started this and it's a bit jarring.

I've just got to London and done basically the first mission - jacob keeps talking about making a gang - green mentions an existing gang and I assume we would need to go convince them to join us

But no I keep playing and out of nowhere I have all these allies on my map? I literally haven't done anything to make a gang at all but I can recruit people?

Did I accidentally skip something?

I will never understand the "hate" about Assassin's Creed just because "one game each year".

And i will never understand the glory around AC2.
I played each entries day one. I'm quite a "big fan" of this saga. AC2 was of cours in 2009 a great game. But now...? Definitely not. Brotherhood is such a better game (better character, side mission with stories and not just "hey run beating this guy" ).
AC3 is still the best AC game for me (characters, best campaign in the whole saga).
AC4 is still loved on Neogaf (i'd rather like AC3 because i didn't like missions, and infiltration who equals "bush" -_- ).
AC5 is a very good game, a GREAT game. Beautiful (so many bugs) and the side quests (and coop missions) are about french revolution so if you just play the main mission you don't see that revolution. Graphism are gorgeous like the witcher 3 ...

But still the hate is here.

AC6 is better than AC5 because much fun, a good gameplay, better stealth (but now AC is ridiculous since MGS5).

But...a game each year when you can travel through time it's FANTASTIC, i will never understand that hate! And the games aren't made in one year but there is many studios.
I see the AC franchise like Final Fantasy. I don't mind about present story since AC1 so...

Squire

Banned
So I have just started this and it's a bit jarring.

I've just got to London and done basically the first mission - jacob keeps talking about making a gang - green mentions an existing gang and I assume we would need to go convince them to join us

But no I keep playing and out of nowhere I have all these allies on my map? I literally haven't done anything to make a gang at all but I can recruit people?

Did I accidentally skip something?

That part isn't really fleshed out. The gang just happens.

Yep. I was talking with a friend about how sort of weird that is - even moreso if you're primarily playing the game as Svie, like I do - and he surmised it's a reaction to them constantly how slow AC tends to start.

I definitely think it's preferable, too. There's a balance they still need to find though.

Yep. I was talking with a friend about how sort of weird that is - even moreso if you're primarily playing the game as Svie, like I do - and he surmised it's a reaction to them constantly how slow AC tends to start.

I definitely think it's preferable, too. There's a balance they still need to find though.

I thought it was just implied that Jacob could (and did) easily assume control over London's only other floundering gang, the Clinkers. They were supposedly being driven to extinction by the Blighters when Evie and Jacob first arrive in London. At the end of the first mission in London, Jacob expresses an intention to take control of the Clinkers, rename them, and start absorbing Blighter members and territory. I think the idea is that they were so miniscule and dwindling that it was simple for him to bring them under his control. It also provides a narrative context for how weak and simple the Rooks start out mechanically (and thus for the gang upgrades as you progress through the game).

Squire

Banned
I thought it was just implied that Jacob could (and did) easily assume control over London's only other floundering gang, the Clinkers. They were supposedly being driven to extinction by the Blighters when Evie and Jacob first arrive in London. At the end of the first mission in London, Jacob expresses an intention to take control of the Clinkers, rename them, and start absorbing Blighter members and territory. I think the idea is that they were so miniscule and dwindling that it was simple for him to bring them under his control. It also provides a narrative context for how weak and simple the Rooks start out mechanically (and thus for the gang upgrades as you progress through the game).

Sure, I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense or that I don't understand it, it's all just very abrupt. I mean, what you're saying is true, but it's also the case that most of it happens (or is implied rather) in one or two scenes that are maybe two minutes a piece.

And then on top of it, the game doesn't really explore the type of conflict and comeradery that comes with being in a gang. It's all there in the mechanics and the gameplay scenarios, but it would've been nice to have some scenes with Jacob and Evie bonding with the men and women working for them and fit the rival gang leaders to have a little more character put into them. I've fought three and they don't even have unique character models.

It's not a deal breaker and it's not even really something I'm holding over the games head, but I notice it. It's a little stark in comparison to Black Flag, which I felt did a good job portraying Kenway as a pirate, and his relationships with his associates, his rivals, and most importantly his crew.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sure, I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense or that I don't understand it, it's all just very abrupt. I mean, what you're saying is true, but it's also the case that most of it happens (or is implied rather) in one or two scenes that are maybe two minutes a piece.

And then on top of it, the game doesn't really explore the type of conflict and comeradery that comes with being in a gang. It's all there in the mechanics and the gameplay scenarios, but it would've been nice to have some scenes with Jacob and Evie bonding with the men and women working for them and fit the rival gang leaders to have a little more character put into them. I've fought three and they don't even have unique character models.

It's not a deal breaker and it's not even really something I'm holding over the games head, but I notice it. It's a little stark in comparison to Black Flag, which I felt did a good job portraying Kenway as a pirate, and his relationships with his associates, his rivals, and most importantly his crew.
Black Flag did an amazing job with integrating pirate characters into the narrative but mostly because they were prominent figures at the time. Similarly here they try to integrate historical characters into the narrative and generally do that well, but the gang is more of a gameplay element. They did explore during the concept phase the idea of "District representatives." Which would been cool to see as members who join your gang or have heavy story based sidequests.
IFxsuri.jpg

I feel that doing something like that if they attempt another game in this style would provide even more incentive to do side content. Or maybe just making questlines tied to characters and getting more cutscenes from them besides a beginning and ending cutscene, while also integrating them into the main plot of the game.

Squire

Banned
Finished it. The last half dozen missions are pretty excellent and I love how it all ends.
The Starrick fight
is so bad though, Christ.

I got the achievement for getting all of Evie's stealth skills, but not the one for Hacob's fighting skills, so o guess that's bugged. Lame. :/

I had a ton of fun with this game! Can't wait to start the DLC.

That's kinda cool. I didn't expect ACS to be one of the acclaim game this year (because MGS5; The witcher 3, Xeno X...) but i think this game will sell well with a long time, like AC4.
In France, french journalist bashed this game only "because of Unity" and not with argument about the game itself...It's kinda strange but the country with the more hate about AC now is... France.

For example the rope launcher. The journalist in Gamekult said it's a bad idea because you can't climb anymore...what? I'm around 25% in the game, sequence 5, and i'm still climbing building. I'm at the Tamise zone now , (the frogger zone) and it's just fantastic to have the rope launcher on that. In fact, London streets during the industrial revolution are much larger...so i don't know what the problem is with a rope launcher...Developers adapt the gameplay around the history, like the ship in AC4....

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Has anyone read the tie in book underworld? Does it follow the game story or is set before?

Both; it details Green's life in London before the game and expands on the twins' father, then moves on to the time of the game. It's very abridged and the writing is very simplistic, though. Oliver Bowden/Anton Gill is not a particularly good writer.

Both; it details Green's life in London before the game and expands on the twins' father, then moves on to the time of the game. It's very abridged and the writing is very simplistic, though. Oliver Bowden/Anton Gill is not a particularly good writer.

Thanks I'm currently on sequence 4 of the game. Picked the book up but don't want spoilers for the game. Will wait before reading this if it covers it. Didn't mind his other books, the ezio books were pretty good but thought the unity one was a bit crap lol

Braag

I was really starting to get tired of AC after Unity. None of the trailers or reviews of Syndicate got me very excited.
In the end I bought Syndicate once it was 40% off simply because I've wanted an AC game set in victorian era london for ages now.
And I'm glad I did, this is definitely one of the better AC titles along with Brotherhood and Black Flag.
I haven't finished it yet but so far (60% in) it's been great.

I have a question: How do you trigger contextual kills (like using environment to finish enemies) in this game? Those moves look amazing but they're so hard to perform. I can only do that move once so far.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have a question: How do you trigger contextual kills (like using environment to finish enemies) in this game? Those moves look amazing but they're so hard to perform. I can only do that move once so far.

Just be sure to finish them off in the direction of said object. Like the enemy is up against a tree or wall, or near the edge of a building or train.

Just be sure to finish them off in the direction of said object. Like the enemy is up against a tree or wall, or near the edge of a building or train.
Well I've been attempting to perform those moves by moving the left stick towards objects and mashing attack button and my Jacob (Evie) will grab enemies and throw them into the wall. But, at the end, after stunning them, my Jacob and Evie still perform normal kill moves (the one without using environment).

WaLlbaNg

I didn't encounter any glitches while playing Unity but I just started playing Syndicate and in one cutscene this indian guy was invisible - pretty neat assasins skills looked really funny cause he carried some boxes and they flied through the room

Robso

Does the season pass include the Darwin and Dickens DLC? It's not listed on the EU store under the Season Pass listing yet I saw it on the season pass picture.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is this a good first AC game? I've been weary of the series in the past but I am thinking of giving this a go.
You'd have a good time but would be pretty lost with the modern day lore and some of the wink wink moments.

ramyeon

You'd have a good time but would be pretty lost with the modern day lore and some of the wink wink moments.
Ended up grabbing it, really enjoying it so far. I'll read up on the stories of the past games so I'm not so lost - little chance I'll be going back to play them all.

$55 for game + season pass (Gold edition) PS4 on Amazon -- very tempted. How beefy is the Ripper DLC? Any other stuff hinted at after that as far as substantial content? Thanks!

I don't seem to have done myself any favours by playing Arkham Knight, Mad Max and then this (almost) back to back.

Does the combat every feel good in this game? I've just taken down the first Gang Boss and the whole fight was absolutely awful. It wasn't satisfying in the slightest.

Late edit: Don't want to seem like I'm just drive-by shitting on the game. Dodgy combat aside I'm really enjoying this so far. It's not the Assassin-centric AC game I would like (and had hoped Unity would be) but they seem to have taken some of that criticism on board. Jacob and Evie are pretty fun so far, the handling is better (though not perfect), the map-clogging filler is still there but it's not as arsey to get to it (characters that claim they have a lockpick skill actually pick the locks instead of making the player do it ftw). Not perfect, but it feels a little less like an "Open World Ubisoft Game™" and more like an open world game from Ubisoft.

Lucreto

Got the game for Christmas but I seem to have problems.

During the first horse carriage mission the game seems to stop for a second and textures and street lamps seem to load in. It happens again during the fight on top of the train with the Whitechapel gang leader.

Is this a constant issue or is the game still installing?

Edit the best was to describe it is a YouTube video stopping every couple of seconds for buffering.

I just finished the base game about thirty minutes ago, and plan to do another play through in the relatively near future.

Overall, it's a good game but not a great one. It's visually impressive, and the character models look really nice, but it's repetitive and is brought down by sequel fatigue as well.

I liked Unity more, to be honest, but enjoyed this one as a whole too. It's a solid 7/10.

Had to restart my PS4 to get the game going, saw certain issues online too..Anyways, everything is fine so no issues there.

Onto the game, I'm loving what I played so far. Only Sequence 1 and 2 mind you but the combat while button mashy just feels right, I feel like I'm in an Assassin's Creed game directed by Guy Ritchie.

Evie and Jacob are way more entertaining than Arno (ugh) ever was.

Evie Frye my girl doe. Those moves she does with her cane, sweet jesus what a woman.

Lucreto

Had to restart my PS4 to get the game going, saw certain issues online too..Anyways, everything is fine so no issues there.

Onto the game, I'm loving what I played so far. Only Sequence 1 and 2 mind you but the combat while button mashy just feels right, I feel like I'm in an Assassin's Creed game directed by Guy Ritchie.

Evie and Jacob are way more entertaining than Arno (ugh) ever was.

Evie Frye my girl doe. Those moves she does with her cane, sweet jesus what a woman.

Had you any issues with the horse carriages in Sequence 2? It keeps freezing for a second to let the textures load.

Yeah go to

Options->Gameplay->HUD options and set conflict to hidden

Thank you! edit: It removes everything from combat, even when to counter, dang it ubi.

Another question, every time I leave the game and continue it spawns me at the top of the map, near Reuge's Vault, pretty annoying when I'm doing things on the other end of town. I know I can just fast travel, but is this a known glitch? I'm quitting normally, not just dash boarding out of the game.

Chaplain

Got the game for Christmas but I seem to have problems.

During the first horse carriage mission the game seems to stop for a second and textures and street lamps seem to load in. It happens again during the fight on top of the train with the Whitechapel gang leader.

Is this a constant issue or is the game still installing?

Edit the best was to describe it is a YouTube video stopping every couple of seconds for buffering.

You mean like this?

Assassin's® Syndicate PS4 Zero-Frames

grimmiq

Been on an AC Binge this week, Finally got around to finishing off Rogue, just played through Unity in the last 2 days (don't get the hate for Arno, is it just because he's Ezio lite?) Hugely disappointing ending (
Elise's death seems
so pointless.
felt unfinished.

Deleting now and about to install Syndicate, looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been on an AC Binge this week, Finally got around to finishing off Rogue, just played through Unity in the last 2 days (don't get the hate for Arno, is it just because he's Ezio lite?) Hugely disappointing ending (
Elise's death seems
so pointless.
felt unfinished.

Wow, I don't know how you do it. One game per year is almost too much for me.

Elise's death seems
so pointless.
felt unfinished.

I didn't like Arno because they very clearly tried to ape Ezio but missed all of his endearing qualities so you just end up with a smart mouthed arrogant dickhead. But yeah the Elise thing is fucking stupid.

But seriously like that other person said, how are you managing to play these so quickly together?

Playing through Syndicate and I'm enjoying it but thinking about how many previous features have been stripped is bothering me.

Ambient music
Tombs/Lairs/Catacombs
Mini-games
PvP
Co-op
Naval features
Carrying multiple weapons
Picking up weapons off the ground
Modern day sequences
Training missions
Glyph puzzles

Probably more that I'm forgetting and it's depressing. But thank fuck there are still plenty of items to collect and chests to open because who doesn't love cleaning up a map full of icons.

I don't expect every entry to have everything. But when it comes to series progression, it bothers me when the most basic of features are removed, things like ambient music, tombs and picking up weapons off the ground, PvP should be in the game. You obviously can't do Naval stuff in London, but it's sad to see this series not only fail to significantly progress forward, but also take so many steps back...

Playing through Syndicate and I'm enjoying it but thinking about how many previous features have been stripped is bothering me.

Ambient music
Tombs/Lairs/Catacombs
Mini-games
PvP
Co-op
Naval features
Carrying multiple weapons
Picking up weapons off the ground
Modern day sequences
Training missions
Glyph puzzles

Probably more that I'm forgetting and it's depressing. But thank fuck there are still plenty of items to collect and chests to open because who doesn't love cleaning up a map full of icons.

I don't expect every entry to have everything. But when it comes to series progression, it bothers me when the most basic of features are removed, things like ambient music, tombs and picking up weapons off the ground, PvP should be in the game. You obviously can't do Naval stuff in London, but it's sad to see this series not only fail to significantly progress forward, but also take so many steps back...
Ambient music is in! :) Not sure how you haven't noticed it but if you stick the the roof tops you hear it pretty regularly.

grimmiq

Wow, I don't know how you do it. One game per year is almost too much for me.

Well considering it's been 2 years since I touched an Assassin's Creed game and I just burned through main story missions(And I didn't really approach Unity the way I should have, most assassinations were basically me walking through groups of guards spamming smoke bombs, killing the target then sprinting away) to get to the end so I'm no lost in Syndicate.

I finished Rogue/Unity with about 20% completion, just doing enough side content to get my gear right (Rogue would have been a lot quicker if it wasn't for that damned Adewale chase making me farm like 400 metal to get upgrades).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well considering it's been 2 years since I touched an Assassin's Creed game and I just burned through main story missions(And I didn't really approach Unity the way I should have, most assassinations were basically me walking through groups of guards spamming smoke bombs, killing the target then sprinting away) to get to the end so I'm no lost in Syndicate.

I finished Rogue/Unity with about 20% completion, just doing enough side content to get my gear right (Rogue would have been a lot quicker if it wasn't for that damned Adewale chase making me farm like 400 metal to get upgrades).

I think everyone ended up playing Unity like you did, which is why smoke bombs aren't nearly as useful in Syndicate.

grimmiq

Just cleared out Whitechapel..Don't think I've enjoyed an AC as much since Brotherhood. Really liking the twins, but having some issues with bugs/performance. The train fight at the end of Whitechapel was terrible, freezing for 2 seconds every 10. And Henry Green was invisible for an entire cutscene (heard his voice and saw a stack of books floating through the air).

Ambient music is in! :) Not sure how you haven't noticed it but if you stick the the roof tops you hear it pretty regularly.

It's not really though. I've noticed it but it really doesn't play that regularly, so little that to me it's far more situational than it is ambient.

For instance, I can't just run up onto a rooftop and hear it unless I'm there for at least a few minutes, problem is, you often find yourself going to ground level for one thing or another, at which point the timer, or whatever it is that triggers the rooftop ambient music resets. Or, it plays if you're near a waypoint, which is no different than Unity and 3.

Top Bottom