• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Syndicate Patch 1.51 fixes Pro Support

black070

Have to say, having put a few hours into it - it looks really damn good on a 4K screen. Definitely encourages the replay :)

Inuteu

Actually I felt Unity did a lot to help re-vitalize the AC game design. Missions that gave far more freedom in approach beyond literally following the waypoint, you can tackle assassinations especially in a variety of ways unlike the rigid cinematic flair kills of earlier titles. The control scheme was adjusted to make parkour feel more dynamic and in control(Syndicate borrows those developments). Co-op was also a thrilling inclusion when working in tandem with others, but never forced either.

It's just that the story was pointless and forgettable, and of course the launch bugs helped create a perception among gamers that the game was ultimately a failure worth demonizing. A real shame as the game was fixed and many of its advancements will ultimately be seen in AC games going forward, but credit will not be given its due.

completely agree

and Unity is a great looking game even today

better looking than syndicate IMO

filly

I actually stopped playing it on the PS4 after an hour because I couldn't stand the IQ going to go back now

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks fantastic now, everything looks better, brighter and more colourful.
Shame Unity hasn't gotten a patch but atleast I can continue playing it, might restart it actually because it looks so much better.

FrankWza

Been off of the AC series since i beat 3. Loved it until then But for $3 with a reward coupon ill take a look at it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looks fantastic now, everything looks better, brighter and more colourful.
Shame Unity hasn't gotten a patch but atleast I can continue playing it, might restart it actually because it looks so much better.

They could patch that game to run in 8K at 240 fps and ultra settings, and it would still be a pile of skidmarked underpants.

TGO

Does this game have downsampling on 1080p tvs?
Yes, and it's a big improvement
Never noticed before but the characters even have wet skin in the rain, you can even see Evies freckles.
Massive upgrade imo

Einhander

I recently beat Syndicate, and throughout my time with it, I would get game-crashing bugs, in which, I would get that blue Sony "error" screen coming up, forcing me to restart the game. I must have gotten between 7-10 crashes in many instances. I'm not holding my breath that Ubisoft has fixed those crashes. I've read something about how the crashing issue may be that recent patches weren't installed correctly, but I don't know.

Glad to hear it's been patched again, hopefully DF will have a look at it soon to check it's totally fixed now.

Never mind, just seen the NX Gamer video. Good to see it looks much better now.

mileS

Huge improvement but the game still looks rough. Atleast they should add some proper AF. It's baffling that this feature is still missing or dialed back in many recent games.
A very serious issue. On pc it costs next to nothing performance wise so why is it ignored like this on consoles.

Kemal86

Wow. Even on my 1080p screen, it's incredible how much better the game looks in 1.51 compared to 1.5. Just mind boggling.

My game has crashed 5 times in the playthrough I'm doing. It's about once per night, but twice today. It's easily crashed more than any other current gen game for me :(

It's a shame, easily tied with Black Flag for me for best AC since like Brotherhood. Loving it.

Einhander

My game has crashed 5 times in the playthrough I'm doing. It's about once per night, but twice today. It's easily crashed more than any other current gen game for me :(

You might want to try reinstalling the game and the updates. The updates may not have installed correctly.

1800p checkerboard now but game still jaggy as a mofo
But super-sampled on 1080p displays right? That must look clean surely?
It is supersampled at 1080p. It is neither 1800p nor checkerboarded. As the video says, it's 1620p. NXGamer was able to detect a very few edge artifacts, but they are not the type caused by CBR; some other issue is at work (HRAA?).

"Jaggy as a mofo" is not at all how I'd characterize it, though aliasing and shimmer are still visible. Your personal assessment may differ.

TGO

I actually like Unity. I'm not really crazy about Syndicate though.

I also think AC3 was the best Assassins Creed game I played.
I agree

yes you get downsampling as well. it looks better than before, but its a far cry from being clean. even on PC you need resolutions above 4k combined with msaa to clean it up.
Must be the engine or something if that's the case

NXGamer

Thank you very much! Your work is always impressive, especially how incisively observant you are of fine detail. What you do is very much appreciated.
THANK you, always nice to hear positive comments and that my work is enjoyed and appreciated. Will get some grabs up for you soon on titles.

It is supersampled at 1080p. It is neither 1800p nor checkerboarded. As the video says, it's 1620p. NXGamer was able to detect a very few edge artifacts, but they are not the type caused by CBR; some other issue is at work (HRAA?).

"Jaggy as a mofo" is not at all how I'd characterize it, though aliasing and shimmer are still visible. Your personal assessment may differ.

oops i meant 1620p checkerboard.

Caayn

DF just posted their video on this patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA2pCCjOUqE

Changed 1.50 -> 1.51:
  • DOF removed from cutscenes
  • Shadows can flicker.
  • IQ issue on PS4 Pro has been fixed. The game now properly renders at 2880*1620 on PS4 Pro.
  • Super samples (wasn't sure if that was already included in 1.50).

NXGamer

DF just posted their video on this patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA2pCCjOUqE

Changed 1.50 -> 1.51:
  • Shadows can flicker.
  • IQ issue on PS4 Pro has been fixed. The game now properly renders at 2880*1620 on PS4 Pro.
DOF is not removed so to speak, this is most likely due to the increase in resolution on the filter not being compensated for.

And yes downsampling was in last patch also.

TGO

I decided to restart my game, Wow the difference is staggering and I'm playing on a Sony W805
Its a lot closer to Ubi Bullshots screens now compared to the blurry mess it as before, its like VHS to Blu-ray.
That 900p truly hurt this games graphics, if you haven't got it yet and have Pro I highly recommend it.

kanuuna

Seems like a pretty significant upgrade - easy to see the difference even on YouTube.
Should get back around to playing this game.

thelastword

Banned
Ubi > ND. Actually listens to fan feedback
Unless Ubisoft gets a locked 60fps on one of it's games or an 1800p mode at 60fps, I think I'll say the opposite is true. If Supersampling is coming on an OS level in Firmware 4.5, I think ND would be aware of that, as opposed to Ubisoft....

Changed 1.50 -> 1.51:
  • Shadows can flicker.
I don't think DOF is removed, they just have to implement a better quality DOF to compensate for the increase in resolution. The same applies for shadows, those lower quality shadows was fine for 900p, but at 1620P they're called out. Ubi should improve the quality of theses effects, well graphical presets on a whole. Also, they should look into improving their AA solution......I still think checkerboarded 1800p/2160p with TAA would look better....The PRO should run this at 30fps at these cb resolutions with ultra settings easily..

Another thing which has not been confirmed yet...Ubi said that the OG PS4 would increase the base resolution from 900P to 1080P, was that done in this patch?

cjp

Did Unity get a Pro patch as well?

I see the triple pack is on sale on PS Store.

I already own Black Flag but I'm kind of tempted by it for Unity and this.

Just a follow up, as I finished main story. Game crashed 3 or 4 more times in the last 4 hours of play. It was about once an hour. Nothing repeated in any crash; one time was during a load, another time was random free roaming doing a gang takeover, another was grappling... no rhyme or reason.

I would estimate it probably crashed 9-10 times total in my total playthrough. No other game on PS4 for me has crashed more than twice, and nothing on XB1 has crashed more than twice (many multiplats on both).

I really did love the game though. It was a ton of fun and luckily the checkpoints were generously enough spaced that I never lost more progress than I lost time watching the lengthy game load intro + initial load into world state.

Top Bottom