• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed unity Patch 4 On Hold (Paris map being "refurbished")

Doesn't exactly sound like an incoming downgrade but more like cleaning up a huge pile of code mess that is buried somewhere in the city of Paris.

Sohaim

You know that they were talking specifically about Unity right? Unity was not downgraded.

i take it that you did not read all the comments right? i mentioned Watch dogs when i quoted the "We never downgraded the graphics" from ubisoft, since they did it to watch dogs.

Q: "refurbish the paris map"...downgrade incoming?

A: No.

A: We have never downgraded the graphics.

rBose

Banned
i take it that you did not read all the comments right? i mentioned Watch dogs when i quoted the "We never downgraded the graphics" from ubisoft, since they did it to watch dogs.

But they didn't, it was just YouTube Compression lel

WRLGp2H.gif

III-V

lol refurbish the Paris map.

Can't wait to pick this one up in the $9.99 bargain bin. The detail work looks amazing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But that Q+A was concerning Unity, not WD, the Unity team is different from the WD team.

jackdoe

So 30GB patch incoming?
I can't see this one being small if they're refurbishing the city.
It's probably also very time consuming. Wonder which team is working on these patches. Probably one based in a country with looser labor laws.

McLovin

To be fair quality control is probably paramount now. Its been a long time coming, buggy game after buggy game, the pc ports, the drm, and people kept buying the games. Then games being downgraded... things hit critical mass with unity.

Jonnax

So they said that this is going to be the last patch that they issue. Hopefully the performance will be fixed up then. If not, then that's a indicator of how much Ubisoft care about the quality of their games.

"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us, and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well."

Since when has rigorous quality control ever NOT been important to consumers?

Did it really take a bit of feedback over the past few weeks for you to realise this? How about shipping the game in a reasonable state?

Us PC gamers have been telling you this for years now haven't we UBI?

I noticed the same thing. I can't understand why so many people are only quoting the first half of that sentence, the second half is worse...

They just found out the past few weeks that rigorous quality control was important to their customers? Gimme a break... They just cannot get out of their own way.....

rBose

Banned
So they said that this is going to be the last patch that they issue. Hopefully the performance will be fixed up then. If not, then that's a indicator of how much Ubisoft care about the quality of their games.

1.4 is the last patch?

RowdyReverb

I'm near the end I think, but I'm gonna hold of as well. So many games took over, but I was enjoying my time.

Same here. I was playing one of the later missions where
you chase that boat down the waterway
and the framerate dropped so badly and so consistently that I haven't played it since. I couldn't tolerate it and kept failing the mission because of difficulty controlling my character. I'm generally pretty tolerant of framerate dips, but I haven't played much since then. Hoping this patch helps.

Elios83

Indeed!! I thought this was the last patch of the year but here they're pretty much stating that this is the last big patch ever for the game and then they'll move on as a team.
So I guess I can expect a significant frame rate improvement on PS4 right? I certainly wouldn't expect any less from a company that considers rigorous quality control to be of paramount importance :D
ROTFL and expecting the worst considering what they did to FC4 and their ''refurbished map'' expression

thuway

I could be wrong, but I read the PC port is now running ok on AMD hardware. I've yet to bite since I own a 280X, but I couldn't bear the benchmarks I saw when the game initially launched. It made me mad upset of going PC gamer-mode.

Than I saw the benchmarks of PS4 and I realize, Ubisoft has officially self destructed.

RoKKeR

Still have the game unwrapped from the Ms store "deal" on Black Friday, in no rush to play it as I'm really into Shadow of Mordor right now.

Hopefully the performance will be relatively solid by the time I put it in.

thuway

All of those Q&A's and not one person asked WTF does refurbishing Paris mean?

I wouldn't place the blame on Q&A or the development team. I've worked Q&A before, and most of the time, whoever works in this department is treated like garbage. You are essentially a glorified monkey with zero say in any thing.

The person writing the blog must be under a tremendous amoutn of pressure, and I could not imagine the feeling of being the brunt of the internet's criticism. The Publisher is to blame, the developers were over ambitious, but when you release something half baked, what do you expect.

Elios83

If you want to be optimistic they're probably talking about the way all the different activities on the map are being queued and how all the different threads are scheduled.
If you want to be cynical
real
it's how they're trying to hide all the downgrades they're making shuffling things around :p

majik13

well there was this. Im sure it was asked a lot. But this is how UBI sort of side steps the question.

Q: "refurbish the paris map"...downgrade incoming?

A: No.

A: We have never downgraded the graphics
I wouldn't place the blame on Q&A or the development team. I've worked Q&A before, and most of the time, whoever works in this department is treated like garbage. You are essentially a glorified monkey with zero say in any thing.

The person writing the blog must be under a tremendous amoutn of pressure, and I could not imagine the feeling of being the brunt of the internet's criticism. The Publisher is to blame, the developers were over ambitious, but when you release something half baked, what do you expect.

while you are not wrong, I think he was referring to the Q&A and not QA.

Epcott

Well damn, finished the game last night so I guess I don't really need the patch (MP is too messy for me to consider playing it again for even that).

Bang up job Ub's.

Amazon's AC: Unity Product Page said:
PRODUCT UPDATE AVAILABLE NOW
(As of 12/12) Assassin’s Creed Unity product performance has been improved on all platforms. When you start the game, you will be given the option to automatically download and install all the latest improvements.

Overly confident, Ubi?

valkyre

At least the "major improvement" part sounds promising...

And I really really dont want to believe that after all this they are going to throw words like "major improvement" without at least backing them up moderately.

So I am optimistic.

But lol at the rigorous quality control part... lmao Ubi...

Skyzard

Banned
They better not force downgrades on PC.

Unlike FC4 I haven't finished this and would be really pissed.

I have a super stable 30fps at 2560 resolution and it looks fantastic (other than the NPC textures).

Whenever they fix something they just make it look worse. Nothing seems to ever really improve.

If you want to be optimistic they're probably talking about the way all the different activities on the map are being queued and how all the different threads are scheduled.
If you want to be cynical
real
it's how they're trying to hide all the downgrades they're making shuffling things around :p

I would not assume a downgrade until we actually see what the patch does to address the performance. Optimization means improving performance without downgrading the visuals. If anything, they could finally bump the game to 1080p on PS4, but I don't think they will.

Denton

I could be wrong, but I read the PC port is now running ok on AMD hardware. I've yet to bite since I own a 280X, but I couldn't bear the benchmarks I saw when the game initially launched. It made me mad upset of going PC gamer-mode.

Than I saw the benchmarks of PS4 and I realize, Ubisoft has officially self destructed.
Game runs much better on 280x than it does on PS4 now, the omega drivers doubled the performance. With the upcoming patch it should be perfectly fine.

Game looks insane though, for once there was no downgrade at least.

Seanspeed

Banned
Optimization means improving performance without downgrading the visuals.
Optimization means getting the game to run and look optimal. Messing with the graphics is indeed a crucial part of that.

*Usually*, post-release, optimization doesn't involve messing with the graphics anymore, but if a game has a lot of problems, it could well call for that sort of rethink.

If anything, they could finally bump the game to 1080p on PS4, but I don't think they will.
I'm sure they would if the performance held up.

Setsuna

I would not assume a downgrade until we actually see what the patch does to address the performance. Optimization means improving performance without downgrading the visuals. If anything, they could finally bump the game to 1080p on PS4, but I don't think they will.

it usually means downgrading the visuals in ways that are not immediately noticed

Top Bottom