• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

SHADES

I was really hyped to play AC:U on pc as it would of been my 1st pc assassins creed (switch from consoles) but after this thread and the other threads I think it better to just save my £££ :(

i5 760 @ 3.8
280x
8gb

@1080p - 15-30 fps... yea, unplayable.
Was expecting to play @30 fps locked, at least.
Even on Low and 720p doesn't change anything.
I'm prob. limited by cpu, or crappy amd driver? i dunno.

There's a problem identified with AMD hardware and this game for some people. You're probably going to have wait for a patch.

My copy is finally installing. Very tempted to just wait it out for a couple of patches, though. Will probably just mess around for a bit with the game until DA:I comes out and then play it properly when most of the issues are fixed.

TimFL

i7 920 stock
6gig RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X 3gig

Game is playable but it has frequent slowdowns with a lot of NPCs + cutscenes perform horrible too. I'm most likely CPU bound as I can easily turn up the graphics settings without further slowdown (it performs bad on most combinations).

Got to early parts of my new rig early then.

GHG

Gold Member
Computers don't behave arbitrarily.

If your videocard can do, say 50 fps, and your cpu can do that too, overclocking the CPU only lowers the CPU usage. It doesn't make the game magically faster (if not by a small margin related to overhead).

This is not true.

Increasing the CPU clock speed means it will get through the tasks the game throws at it faster meaning the frame rate will likely increase. This is of course assuming your GPU is not the limiting factor.

Its very clearly a CPU limited game most people will see some kind of improvement from over locking their CPU.

pheron

Neo Member
So this game crashes as soon as you're in one of the three south-east districts (Pantheon, Saint-Jacques and Saint-Marvel). Either you get an instant CTD or Arno and all NPCs freeze while you can move the camera around and go to the menu (fast travel doesn't work). Some people can't even play the game avoiding the three districts because the game loads a checkpoint in one of those areas. So I'd rather not do missions in those areas till a patch comes out...

Ubisoft-Forum

Can't believe how fucked up this game is

SaberEdge

I don't know what all the hate is about, the game is running great for me.

i7-2600K @ 4.2 GHz
GTX 670 4GB
8 GB RAM

1080p
Forced vsync through inspector
Forced FXAA
Shadows on high
Tessellation on (?)
Everything else maxed

Getting 45 fps average. The lighting is the best I've seen and the facial animations are amazing. The game looks beautiful.

Yeah for me this is the best looking game I've ever seen, the lighting and detail is amazing. Also the colour is super realistic and not gamey.

I definitely agree with both of you. This game just wows me over and over again. It's surely the best looking game I have ever played.

dex3108

I ask myself if all those NPCs are really necessary... All that they do is impact performance.

City is amazing with those NPCs and without them it would be empty like in previous game. But crowd density slider and draw distance slider would be great.

Man, entering that area/sequence in Paris where there are no NPCs is such a breath of fresh air. I have V-sync on so game was locked to 60fps throughout. 10min later the sequence ended and I was back in NPC Paris, in the land of dreaded 30fps.

So this game crashes as soon as you're in one of the three south-east districts (Pantheon, Saint-Jacques and Saint-Marvel). Either you get an instant CTD or Arno and all NPCs freeze while you can move the camera around and go to the menu (fast travel doesn't work). Some people can't even play the game avoiding the three districts because the game loads a checkpoint in one of those areas. So I'd rather not do missions in those areas till a patch comes out...

Ubisoft-Forum

Can't believe how fucked up this game is

Yep, happened to me. I could still rotate the camera and everything, wtf. As soon as I start to cross over into Pantheon, it happens. Thankfully my checkpoint was before, I would be so pissed if not.

SaberEdge

Apparently I own the game now. Should I be using half refresh rate vsync on Inspector along with Afterburner to limit it to 30fps or just one is enough?

I think I should get ~30fps at 1080p with PCSS disabled, and a lower quality AO (and no AA). I'm using a 680 + i5 3570k.

In my experience, using "half refresh rate" vsync alone gives the best results. Using an external limiter on top of that setting actually seemed to introduce subtle micro-stutters.

I think your expectations are very reasonable. I can run the game with PCSS, HBAO+, FXAA, high textures and ultra high environment detail at a capped 30fps on my GTX 770 and i5 2500k, which is very similar to your setup.

I don't understand why Assassin’s Creed Unity 1.2.0 patch notes have been released/leaked since release but Ubisoft hasn't just gone through with issuing the patch.

I get they have a lot of issues, but why not get what they have out there and continue to improve as best they can.

sobaka770

Banned
That LOD is real, but the texture option effects the LOD quality a bit. Here are screenshots i took, not zoomed in.
High :

Ultra :

Okay, maybe what I mean is having a SUPERMAX LOD option then, not tied to texture setting.

I can attest that the grass rendering only for 10 meters around my character on Ultra, buildings across the river do look like crap at times(and other times they don't, maybe Ubi has an algorithm there which is malfunctioning?) it's unacceptable.

I'd rather them not loading buildings a kilometer away, putting some fog and have a stable and clear architecture up-close. The pop-in is way too aggressive.

Yibby

buildings across the river do look like crap at times(and other times they don't, maybe Ubi has an algorithm there which is malfunctioning?) it's unacceptable.

It depends on the time of the day. With clear skies, like in my screenshots, you can easily see the bad LODs, but with other time settings there is more fog hiding those textures.

SaberEdge

Sorry for lame question, how can I do this on AMD card ?

To lock at 30fps on an AMD card the best option is to use the "double vsync" option in RadeonPro. It's named weird, but it works just like the "half refresh rate vsync" option in Nvidia Inspector.

Techies

i5 760 @ 3.8
280x
8gb

@1080p - 15-30 fps... yea, unplayable.
Was expecting to play @30 fps locked, at least.
Even on Low and 720p doesn't change anything.
I'm prob. limited by cpu, or crappy amd driver? i dunno.

You gonna need better CPU, to put in perspective, you will be beaten by a G3235 which is a budget CPU. That i5 you have has a terrible single thread score, and so far from what I've seen with the AMD Fx range is the primary reason why something like the FX6300 with 6 cores ain't doing much better against the Gen4 i3's from intel. Actually they being constantly beaten by one at stock.

AMD cards also use a lot more power and a lot more CPU, i5 2500k and newer gen3 and gen4 that performs similar should suffice for your card. You would be more likely to hit the 30fps mark consistently. That's if they fix the game.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+760+@+2.80GHz

edit: hmm, see you've overclocked it. A lot.

buenoblue

Runs super smooth for me, ultra 1080p, fxxa. Stutters if I use fraps to measure fps though. I5 2500k @4.5ghz 780ti @ 1230mhz, 840 evo 250gb ssd.I use ingame vsync, control panel triple buffer, fullscreen.

Denton

You gonna need better CPU, to put in perspective, you will be beaten by a G3235 which is a budget CPU. That i5 you have has a terrible single thread score, and so far from what I've seen with the AMD Fx range is the primary reason why something like the FX6300 with 6 cores ain't doing much better against the Gen4 i3's from intel. Actually they being constantly beaten by one at stock.

AMD cards also use a lot more power and a lot more CPU, i5 2500k and newer gen3 and gen4 that performs similar should suffice for your card. You would be more likely to hit the 30fps mark consistently. That's if they fix the game.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+760+@+2.80GHz

edit: hmm, see you've overclocked it. A lot.
I have 2500k at 4ghz and 280x. Framerate tanks to 18 around notre dame, no matter the settings. The AMD directx driver sucks I guess or whatever.

Thanks to everyone for advice on locking framerate, but I will have to wait for a patch or driver update or a new Nvidia GPU anyway.

SaberEdge

Pop-in has always been an issue in AC games, even using the max LOD on PC does not prevent it.
Come to think of it many games actually have noticeable pop-in. It's something I learnt to deal with.

Oh, I absolutely expect it. Not that I want it, just that it is always there in open world games. The last open world game I played, Infamous Second Son, definitely had plenty of pop-in too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Okay, maybe what I mean is having a SUPERMAX LOD option then, not tied to texture setting.

I can attest that the grass rendering only for 10 meters around my character on Ultra, buildings across the river do look like crap at times(and other times they don't, maybe Ubi has an algorithm there which is malfunctioning?) it's unacceptable.

I'd rather them not loading buildings a kilometer away, putting some fog and have a stable and clear architecture up-close. The pop-in is way too aggressive.
This LoD shit has gotta be a bug of some kind, right?

Chakan

You only have 2GB of VRAM. Lower you texture setting to Low. The stuttering is caused by the constant memory swapping.

High is for 3GB of VRAM, and Ultra is for 4GB.

A lot of people wouldn't be having such issues if they had realistic expectations from their hardware.

Switched the pc off, then back on, set the textures to low, completely removed stuttering.

However, disconnected the internet as some people were actually getting rid of stuttering doing this. And guess what? It removed almost all the stuttering with textures on U. High. Barely noticeable. After that I fixed the fps on 30 using rivaturner and turned on FXAA using nvidia inspector and, stuttering completely gone!

Makes no fucking sense. However I'll lower the textures again if the stuttering comes back or maybe just wait for more patches before actually playing this game.

This is not true.

Increasing the CPU clock speed means it will get through the tasks the game throws at it faster meaning the frame rate will likely increase. This is of course assuming your GPU is not the limiting factor.

Its very clearly a CPU limited game most people will see some kind of improvement from over locking their CPU.

Code doesn't work like that.

The CPU cannot anticipate the future and calculate ahead of time what is going on. So if the CPU goes faster than what the GPU can process, the CPU JUST WAITS. It has nothing to do.

If you overclock, it waits for longer.

You cannot queue more than a couple of frames ahead, and even in that case you start to see input lag.

This game is severely GPU limited, all benchmarks clearly show this.

The problem with LOD, and those who "don't see it" has already been explained by the fact that textures make it MUCH LESS noticeable.

The problem is that EVEN IF YOU'RE IN ULTRA TEXTURES, the memory on the videocard is still a problem. For example if you like taking screenshots at 4x and AA then this is going to max your video memory, and even if you put Ultra textures it's possible that the game only loads lower assets just because it ran out of space.

This is a bit like Watch Dogs, with a really bad texture management.

Folks with LoD issues, tried forcing AF & texture quality in NVIDIA Control Panel?

assassins-creed-unity-nvcpl-af1.png

assassins-creed-unity-nvcpl-af2.png

Kezen

Banned
Oh, I absolutely expect it. Not that I want it, just that it is always there in open world games. The last open world game I played, Infamous Second Son, definitely had plenty of pop-in too.

It's sadly inevitable in open world games, perhaps they will be able to push make much better LODs for PC with DX12.

I've been looking at some benchmarks :
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Assassins-Creed-Unity-PC-258436/Specials/Test-Technik-Benchmarks-1142550/
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-11/assassins-creed-unity-benchmarks-grafikkarten-vergleich/#diagramm-grafikkarten-benchmarks-in-2560-1600

And I'm surprised to see the 780 and 970 so close.

Anisotropic Filtering doesn't do what you think it does. It does nothing for texture size, it only regulates how it's rendered when the polygon is sloped...

Anyway, handy guide to this CPU/GPU issue:

Imagine a factory that is made of two machines, one is called CPU, the other GPU. The output is called a FRAME.

How fast this factory produces frames?

Say the CPU takes 0.5 to do it's part of work, and the GPU too takes 0.5. You might think that, to build a frame you would go CPU + GPU. So 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 second.

Meaning that if suddenly the CPU improves speed and only takes 0.1, then we get MORE frames, because it's 0.1 + 0.5 = 0.6! Much faster!

Yet, if you were to build a factory like this you'd be called a FOOL. Because this is extremely inefficient.

A factory that works well works in another way:

- The CPU does its part of the job, takes 0.5, passes the frame to the GPU. The GPU too does its job, and takes 0.5. YET, and here's the secret, when the GPU does its job the CPU doesn't sit there doing nothing, but it prepares the next piece.

They work in parallel.

So this factory always goes at 2 fps (0.5 + 0.5). Aka: the factory is as fast as the slower machine. And NOT as the sum of the two.

If you then buy a CPU that only takes 0.0001 seconds to do its job, the machine STILL goes at 2 fps (0.5). Because if the CPU goes at its own speed would just produce an immense queue that the GPU can't deal with.

Shadowplay seems to have about a 5-8 fps (10ish %) impact on performance on my machine in Unity. I need to finally sit down and play so I can get to Paris to see the true performance I'll be getting.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the DS4 button prompts. I usually play wireless and use DS Windows but wired definitely works for the set up since I'm using my new monitor anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any release notes for the patch?
################################################################################
Ubisoft Entertainment
Assassin's Creed® Unity v1.2.0
################################################################################
Fixed crash when accepting invitation in specific cases
Added NVIDIA technologies descriptions in advanced graphics page
Improved performance in cinematic on low HW configurations
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various Input issues
Fixed various Multi-GPU issues
Fixed various UI issues
Fixed various Uplay Invitations issues

332.6MB on Steam.

d00d3n

332.6MB on Steam.

Thanks.

Looking forward to trying it when I get home. A fix for the "white flashes" bug during cutscenes would be especially nice ... It seems a bit unrealistic to expect radically improved multi-GPU performance, but it is a moot point anyway considering that locked 30 fps is the way most people will want to play the game (with the possible exception of people using gsync displays).

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Patch didn't fix anything at all.

Still broken, awful pop in left and right. Poor texture rendering and low res textures in short distance. An absolute disaster. Also, the game now stutters for me. It didn't happen before.

It's a shame how horribly the game reacts to changing graphic changes on the fly. Pretty much if you want a good representation of how the game will play after making a change is to just exit and relaunch. Also, I wish every PC game had the diagnostic graphs and shit that BF4 has. You can see the the CPU and GPU frametimes independently and graphed over time.

OK, managed to get the game running with decent performance (for now).

Here are some initial impressions. Hope you'll find this useful. I'll add more tomorrow after a couple of hours of playing.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5 4670K (@ default 3.4GHz)
8GB RAM
Game is installed on a Western Digital WD10EZEX HDD since I have no room on my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. But I don't think SSD should be a factor in this game.
1920x1200 resolution (oh by the way, the game doesn't support 16:10 natively, it just streches its 16:9 to cover the black bars, *sigh*)
GPU is Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ factory OC:

pWkvasm.jpg

So it's a fairly capable rig that *should* handle this game without a problem? HA HA! Think again.

First I let GeForce Experience pick the settings for me (TXAA, HBAO+, PCSS, everything Ultra).
Yea, no way. In the prologue, the game was running at ~40ish FPS average, cutscenes dropping to 20s, so everything as described by a lot of people.

Then I read that the game has severe issues with in game vsync and AA.
So I turned off the ingame vsync and AA, downloaded the NVIDIA Inspector (via Guru 3D) and enabled these settings:

EzL20X7.jpg

and its a whole different experience.
So with everything set to Ultra, even with PCSS enabled I'm getting 55-60 stable experience and the game looks gorgeous.

That's it for now, we'll see how it behaves in Paris during normal gameplay.
Hope this helps.

They could've cut it down just a little bit even if for the sake of performance. Then the pop in wouldn't maybe be so terrible.
I totally agree, they don't really offer much other than the small gameplay bits like blending (with cover and crouch why bother anymore?) They hog resources and in a giant open world it's just unnecessary, I don't care how realistic it is trying to be. If you're dead set on it, make sure full production lasts long enough that the game is stable on every platform.

Look Ubisoft, I don't fucking need 3 AC games a year anymore. I would take one proper, on the best systems available, developed by one fucking studio with one vision. A team that can be managed in person, brainstorm in person, and develop as a cohesive unit. After Unity, which I am overall enjoying (the gameplay refinements, story, characters, setting), it's clear they've lost touch completely. The experience is hindered by bullshit systems and decisions.

I want the passion project that AC and to an extent AC2 was.

Anyway, I hope this patch fixes the massive bugs and shit. Last night I had a hell of a time just trying to free run. Arno was all over the fucking place. A real shame to because it is without a doubt my favorite free run system in the series. I can't imagine it if it had more time in the oven.

ELCID777

Neo Member
This LoD shit has gotta be a bug of some kind, right?

Seems like it could be, as not all of them appeared so smudged/muddy looking. I've noticed that some of the most distant buildings have more detail than ones that are significantly closer. It doesn't seem normal in some of the shots I've taken.

Either it's a texture loading problem or they just set the game to use really low quality LOD models to save memory/performance.

The people saying they don't have this issue aren't bothering to look at anything farther than 20 feet out from the character. The problem is universal and isn't dependent on settings or hardware.

Two more I took, camera not zoomed in.

I don't believe Ubisoft is going to fix this, the problem has been there since the E3 footage. It's a shame, really, since the game is otherwise very beautiful.

ELCID777

Neo Member

Still broken, awful pop in left and right. Poor texture rendering and low res textures in short distance. An absolute disaster. Also, the game now stutters for me. It didn't happen before.

Sigh....that's disappointing to hear.

rashbeep

Banned
I don't believe Ubisoft is going to fix this, the problem has been there since the E3 footage. It's a shame, really, since the game is otherwise very beautiful.

At the least they could use a little higher res textures right?! It's really terrible in its current state.

The game would be the best looking game I've ever played if it wasn't for the pop in and LOD issues. The art is gorgeous but marred with technical issues everywhere.

UrbanRats

Well, performance got worse for me (I now have more stuttering than ever) and the game ran for about 5 minutes before the first CTD.

I have 2 crashes in a row when yesterday I had none.
Well done Ubisoft.
FFS.

Well i guess i'll give it a try myself, too.
Yesterday i could keep perfectly steady 30fps with almost everything maxed out and very minimal to no stuttering.
Just that infamous spot with stained glass acted up.

Top Bottom