• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's creed Unity PC version System requirements

I don't know if anyone has seen this already:
https://twitter.com/UbiGabe/status/527432560289533952

Basically, apparently they are "conservative" in their PC requirements because the game needs 4 gigabites of VRAM.

Which makes me wonder what sales expectations they have for the console market. It can't even be worth mentioning at this point.

EDIT: And if it turns out to be true that the game does need for 4 gigs of VRAM to perform well, then I can only wonder if they aren't just trying to justify killing the PC version of next-gen AC games.

If the game requires 4 GBs of VRam, it is really strange that their "conservative" required VRAM is explicitly 2 GBs and their recommended VRAM is 3 GBs.

Kazdane

If the game requires 4 GBs of VRam, it is really strange that their "conservative" required VRAM is explicitly 2 GBs and their recommended VRAM is 3 GBs.

I'm finding it very difficult to believe their requirements anyways because the Phenom is still listed there and there's no way the recommended and minimum processor for AMD is the same model. It just doesn't make sense, but this doesn't help to believe they're just playing fool.

I don't know if they're purposely being clueless, or they just said to someone "look, we don't care, write whatever you think makes sense for a PC and put it there. Who cares".

ISee

So we need 8 gb system ram and 4gb video ram on our PCs? The consoles only have ~6gb free total shared ram. As consoles are closer to PC architectures then ever this seems very over demanding to me, even considering shared memory benefits.
Combined with very high GPU requirements, strange AMD CPU requirements I do not belive Ubisoft is telling the truth. UBI is the modern day publisher-pinocchio. Maybe even worse then pinocchio because they seem to be lieing just to get attention.

aSmygf9.jpg

I also watched the NVIDIA Trailer on gamersryde.com and learned two things from it.

1.) I still do not like TXAA, granted it is better then FXAA but still to blurry.
2.) AS:U looks nice but it does not strike me as a next gen game. Maybe it is me, maybe I need to see it in action on my Monitor but then more I read and see of this game, the less I want to play it.

omonimo

Banned
Whatever they mean won't change the fact that a 4GB 680 and an I5 should do better than any console in Unity, again 2GB 680 might lead to a sacrifice in texture quality below that of the consoles.
3GB of VRAM is most likely what's going to be necessary to match them when it comes to textures and it's also the minimum specs.
Not means anything. Even a lower rig than the minimun required to ubisoft could handle more of the console but this game not work on it. The question is more what the minimum setting is it talking of graphic features. Ubisoft never talk about it from what I know. So could even been worst graphically of the console, who know.

Kezen

Banned
Not means anything. Even a lower rig than the minimun required to ubisoft could handle more of the console but this game not work on it. The question is more what the minimum setting is it talking of graphic features. Ubisoft never talk about it from what I know. So could even been worst graphically of the console, who know.

Well as I've said elsewhere 2GB of VRAM will mean sacrifices, but a 4GB 680 should best the consoles easily. The minimum CPU listed should also provide a higher framerate than consoles in CPU limited scenarios. If it wasn't for the VRAM the minimum specs could mean better results than any console.

I don't think you will need a very powerful setup to match or exceed what consoles achieve with Unity but 2GB of VRAM is unlikely to do the job, especially at higher resolutions.

So we need 8 gb system ram and 4gb video ram on our PCs? The consoles only have ~6gb free total shared ram. As consoles are closer to PC architectures then ever this seems very over demanding to me, even considering shared memory benefits.

I very much doubt the game will ever see close to 8GB system RAM and 4GB VRAM usage. It's simply a means of saying 'Your system is unsupported' if you have less than that.

Say you have 4GB of system RAM and 3GB of VRAM. If it's like other recent ports, the game executable is likely to use ~2.5GB of system RAM which leaves 1.5GB available. You decide to try putting textures on ultra which now exceeds your VRAM size by 1GB and pushes an additional 1GB into system RAM. Available system RAM is now just 0.5GB for the OS and whatever browsers and services you may have running.

This is a point where the system is likely to become unstable. If it were a 'supported system' then Ubisoft could be held responsible for the crashes.

Phil4000

I think I'll wait a few months when the optimization patches from Ubi and Nvidia are released before I purchase...

Just look at Watch_Dogs, runs much better now than on release!

Top Bottom