• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa Competizione releasing today (12th Sept 2018) on early access

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

As a fairly hardcore sim-racer I'm looking forward to this. Assetto Corsa 1 was fantastic, a real treat to drive, but there wasn't much of a career mode and online was somewhat underbaked, with the usual problems of everyone driving GT3s at Nordschleife or Spa and everyone crashing into each other. We're still stuck with GT3s but on a positive note, like Project Cars 2, they're borrowing the rating systems from iRacing (not looked into it in detail but I presume it's another ELO-based system). Those rating systems do a pretty good job of cleaning up racing (though the likelihood of being banned and losing access to hundreds of dollars worth of content probably helps on iRacing).

Graphics look pretty damn good, hopefully the move to the Unreal Engine hasn't caused any problems with the physics and the handling. Recommend using a wheel and pedals, VR support isn't in yet but will be there in a month or so, price is going up in steps but the initial release is reasonably priced albeit early content is quite limited.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/ - release roadmap for VR etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sweet. Assetto Corsa + a g27 is as close to the real thing as I've found from a racing sim so far (haven't tried iRacing).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
iRacing is fun once you get out of rookies but dear god avoid the forums.. you've got Resetera on one side, gaf in the middle and then iRacing forums somewhere out the other side. Nascar, guns and grid girls.

GMAK2442

Thanks OP

That's a surprise for me. I was waiting for V-Rally at the end of this month but not for this one.

I'm going to buy it today and hope the game will be fine this time.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Dirt Rally ruined all rally games for me. Seriously, the best rally game out there. Had a quick look at some gameplay youtubes for v-rally 4 and wow it's far too on-rails for my liking.

Off-topic: Anyone here been inspired by their gaming experience to go and throw a real fast car around a real racetrack?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
VR is planned in October I believe. Here's the schedule.

acc-1-jpg.268289

acc-2-jpg.268290

acc-3-jpg.268291

acc-4-jpg.268292

acc-5-jpg.268293

acc-6-jpg.268294

acc-7-jpg.268295

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm not a great start. Hard to get a proper feel for handling when the triple-screen is not proper triples but rather stretched to hell. Performance isn't the best but hopefully they'll optimise that. They've made the options for configuring pedals worse, which is quite a remarkable achievement. I look forward to VR where I won't need to care about setting up the triples (which always was a chore).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to say at the moment. I'll have another crack at it tonight on a single monitor and see how it feels but likely I won't be able to say much till either triples are rendered properly as separate screens or vr is ready. It'll still be at the current price.

For what it's worth, assetto corsa is amazingly good to drive, as was netkar Pro, so it ultimately comes down to whether they can get that fidelity on the unreal engine and whether they can get the career mode up to scratch and mage worthwhile online tools.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
VR is easier to implement tbh when working with an existing graphics engine. Multiplayer is harder work as you have to build server software, figure out networking issues, etc, plus they've got the rating systems to build out.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
6 days til VR and I can finally get playing this son of a bitch.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's disappointing. The driving experience is solid enough though in VR I get the feeling the scaling is a tad off. However, the big problem is that my GTX970, which is more than enough to power iRacing, Assetto Corsa 1, etc in VR at decent settings, is pure jerk-o-vision even in menus. Hold my head still and it's fine. Move my head and it's a head-ache inducing turd.

Top Bottom