• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point, how would you rank the 3DS' first party support?

3DS and especially Wii U killed it with their first party games. Hell I consider the Wii U to be the best console of that generation and a good 95% of that is first party.

Uh, I completely disagree on the Wii U. Agreed on 3DS however.

3DS had a amazing first party support, especially in 2013.

Better than the DS's, but that's not saying much.

Only considering original games I played:

Hated Kid Icarus. The on-rails sections were good, but the other two-thirds of the game controlled very poorly.

Hated Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It's fetch quest, the game.

Found NSMB2 dull and uninspired.

Mario Kart 7 was forgettable.

Fire Emblem: Awakening has very poor map design. It ranks low on my list of favorite FE's.

A Link Between Worlds was very derivative, but it was okay.

Super Smash Bros 3D: I liked it fine for around 12 hours. But the series doesn't work that well on a small screen.

Pushmo: I got bored pretty quickly, but it was fine.

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest: I played for a few hours and quit. The maps are better designed and it's actually challenging. But everything else is a turnoff especially the lengthy dialogue sequences. Characters have nothing interesting to say, but they won't shut up.

Super Mario 3D Land: I liked it. There are some problems with it, namely with the camera making some jumping distances hard to judge and reusing bosses/levels, but it's mostly solid.

entremet

Good:
- Mario 3D Land was one of the best Mario titles in recent years.
- LoZ: Link Between Worlds is a different, fresh take on classic gameplay. Instant classic.
- Smash has appeared first time on a handheld
- Kid Icarus is definitely the biggest and most ambitious release on a handheld
- Two Fire Emblem games, both are best in the series, revived the franchise
- Cool remasters (Zelda, Starfox)

Bad:
- 2D platformers are considerably worse then predecessors (Yoshi, NSMB2, Kirby)
- Pokémon had two gens, they were good but not better then previous entries (Diamond & Pearl and Black & White)
- Too many filler games! (Federation Force, Mario Party, Animal Crossing HHD, Chibi Robo, Pikmin)
- No entries for many franchises (Advance Wars, Wario (wtf?), Starfox, Custom Robo, Golden Sun)
- Useless quick port jobs (DKC Returns, Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker)
- New IP's were treated badly: Codename Steam, Ever Oasis
- Despite the big success of Mario 3D Land, 3D platformer genre ignored
- Mario has been milked to hell (2 Mario Party games, 3 Mario Sports games, 3 Mario & Luigi games)

Overall: 6.5/10

Many of those added some nice new features and SMM has a unique campaign. Platformers on handhelds are pretty great.

They were great. But not as great as likes of Epic Yarn or Mass Attack. Both 3Ds Kirby games were same-old gameplay; mash button the beat up everyone. 3DS needed fresh ideas like Mass Attack or Rainbow Curse.

You mean.... like....say.... a 4 player coop action game, a 3D Kirby or a rhythm game ?

Peltz

Hated Kid Icarus. The on-rails sections were good, but the other two-thirds of the game controlled very poorly.

Fire Emblem: Awakening has very poor map design. It ranks low on my list of favorite FE's.

Super Smash Bros 3D: I liked it fine for around 12 hours. But the series doesn't work that well on a small screen.

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest: I played for a few hours and quit. The maps are better designed and it's actually challenging. But everything else is a turnoff especially the lengthy dialogue sequences. Characters have nothing interesting to say, but they won't shut up.

Super Mario 3D Land: I liked it. There are some problems with it, namely with the camera making some jumping distances hard to judge and reusing bosses/levels, but it's mostly solid.
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is more of a point and click adventure than it is a fetch quest.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fine. On par with prior handhelds, but I'd potentially rank GBA higher, maybe even DS.

Agreed almost entirely.

(Though 'hating' Luigi's Mansion is a bit strong, it was merely disappointing and took a few steps from the creativity and variety of the original).

Zalman

3DS has pretty much every Nintendo IP the DS had except Advance Wars and WarioWare. Instead, the 3DS adds Donkey Kong Country, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Pilotwings, Smash Bros., Star Fox, Xenoblade. They went all out on the 3DS.

Kraq

I really liked the 3DS. My favourite titles are Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (one of my top 3 FE's), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (perhaps my favourite Zelda game) and the two Bravely games. Other solid games include Smash Bros for 3DS and Luigi's Mansion 2.

And then it had 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem Awakening as well as the Pokemon titles. I'd consider all of those decent, but mediocre titles when compared to others in their respective series. Pokemon in particular is a stale franchise at this point. Mindlessly easy gameplay with a boring plot, and the 3DS titles ran poorly on my OG 3DS to boot. At least the music is still great.

Looking forward to Metroid too.

kunonabi

I've been very pleased with the 3DS first party lineup especially compared to the DS which I thought was kind of lacking as far first party stuff went.

DS came down to the following for me plus a few other things they just published

Daigasso! Band Brothers
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Trace Memories
Super Princess Peach
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Project Hacker: Kakusei
Jump Ultimate Stars
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Planet Puzzle League
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Style Savvy
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Tomodachi Collection
Picross 3D
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Kirby Mass Attack

While the 3DS has:

Pilotwings Resort
Super Mario 3D Land
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Style Savvy: Trendsetters
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Daigasso! Band Brothers P
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Tomodachi Life
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Picross 3D 2nd Edition
Fire Emblem Fates
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
BoxBoxBoy series
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Ever Oasis

the eshop releases were better than the stuff that got released on dsiware and we still have Metroid: Samus Returns, Hey! Pikmin, Miitopia, Sushido, and more coming.

Actually, the DS isn't quite as anemic I remembered now that I put them side by side. I'd still put 3DS put ahead of it due to it getting improved sequels to titles that were on the DS and the games in general were a little meatier, better designed, and just more polished than the stuff available on the DS.

All in all it's up at the top with the Wii for me in terms of Nintendo's first party output. At this point the 3DS is pretty much cemented as my favorite handheld of all time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Stronger than the DS on almost every front. Just about every franchise from Nintendo was better served on the 3DS than the DS. Save for maybe Mario Kart, or Mario+Luigi.

Not to mention their digital-only franchises like Box Boy or Pushmo

TheMoon

I don't see any other option than A+ honestly.

An additional plus could have been earned if we had ended up with an F-Zero and Advance Wars entry on it. Or a Golden Sun.

But what they did bring is just pure A-game. The library, even limited to first party, is just insane.

602845_thumb.jpg
477872_thumb.jpg
269686_thumb.jpg
157071_thumb.jpg
595753_thumb.jpg
622948_thumb.jpg
602769_thumb.jpg
156947_thumb.jpg
634155_thumb.jpg
512653_thumb.jpg
634200_thumb.jpg
595754_thumb.jpg
403858_thumb.jpg
596571_thumb.jpg
406352_thumb.jpg
302465_thumb.jpg
541891_thumb.jpg
269695_thumb.jpg
205895_thumb.jpg
568944_thumb.jpg
194682_thumb.jpg
157090_thumb.jpg
587041_thumb.jpg
156785_thumb.jpg
157019_thumb.jpg
495433_thumb.jpg
157028_thumb.jpg
232297_thumb.jpg
618175_thumb.jpg
599174_thumb.jpg
156980_thumb.jpg
612882_thumb.jpg
470846_thumb.jpg
562047_thumb.jpg
624166_thumb.jpg
157046_thumb.jpg
194719_thumb.jpg
612885_thumb.jpg
513566_thumb.jpg
245896_thumb.jpg
157055_thumb.jpg
204458_thumb.jpg
584670_thumb.jpg
180330_thumb.jpg
379329_thumb.jpg
435881_thumb.jpg
512644_thumb.jpg
583081_thumb.jpg
277149_thumb.jpg
347691_thumb.jpg
157082_thumb.jpg
255308_thumb.jpg
582671_thumb.jpg
594781_thumb.jpg
625616_thumb.jpg
584635_thumb.jpg
546848_thumb.jpg
240756_thumb.jpg
240749_thumb.jpg
495454_thumb.jpg
602936_thumb.jpg
612793_thumb.jpg
205886_thumb.jpg
339715_thumb.jpg
302485_thumb.jpg
589790_thumb.jpg

599730_thumb.jpg
207864_thumb.jpg
542308_thumb.jpg
356861_thumb.jpg
194813_thumb.jpg
559320_thumb.jpg
212812_thumb.jpg
602934_thumb.jpg
397208_thumb.jpg
244630_thumb.jpg
269703_thumb.jpg
252010_thumb.jpg
626930_thumb.jpg
247607_thumb.jpg
276247_thumb.jpg
588440_thumb.jpg
402095_thumb.jpg
588204_thumb.jpg
598182_thumb.jpg
513564_thumb.jpg
618921_thumb.jpg
514268_thumb.jpg

Good stuff. More still coming...

I left out localization-pubs, btw (Layton, DQ, etc).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Loved 3D Land and LBW, standout games for the system. Triple Deluxe was the first Kirby game I completed and liked that as well. Big misser was LM2, felt like the mission structure wasn't a great fit. Made the game feel really repetitive after a while. LM is one of my favorite GC games and I couldn't wait to be done with LM2, that hurt. Kid Icarus in the air was great, on land I struggled with the controls. Finally playing a bit of OoT 3D now and it's a definite upgrade to the original.

That's about it of the first party stuff I've played. There's probably more I missed or should give a chance. I'd say it's about on par with DS, but I prefer GBA. The arrival of SR is kind of a big deal though. Even the announcement had me booting up my 3DS again. Just a great addition to the line-up, can't wait til it's here.

I really, really miss Ouendan though. I've played O2/EBA so much on the DS. I wish we could just get one more.

Champion

DS 1st party lineup is lowkey piss poor. There's a handful of gems there and then everything else is very forgettable imo. Nintendo REALLY stepped their game up with the 3DS.

TheMoon

A lot of those aren't very good and Metroid isn't out yet

So? I could fight you on a lot of these "not very good" opinions and Metroid not being out yet is irrelevant to me right now.

I also haven't played a ton of them. It's an overview. Take the grumpy pants off. Put the celebration jammies on.

It's great! HUGE improvement over the NDS and the GBA. My only complaint is that they played it TOO safe after the first couple of years of making bigger on the go experiences. Not many notable new IP came out of the 3ds (if you don't count Kid Icarus).

Nuu

Banned
The 3DS was a 1st Party Juggernaut as oppose to the DS whoch was 3rd Party Juggernaut.

Nintendo's support for the 3DS was astounding. High budget mainline entries of their biggest franchises time and time again. Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros, 2, Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, and especially Kid Icarus Uprising. To be fair, the DS wasn't as lacking in first party support as some claim.The system had a lot of quality titles such as Animal Crossing: Wild World, Mario Kart DS, and Yoshi's Island DS (yes this game was good). However, there were a fair share of duds, especially those that were outsourced to other studios.

Unfortunately, while first party support was stellar for the 3DS, third party support was lacking compared to its predecessor. While Atlus rampd up their support with the system, even to the point of adding a mainline Megaten game, everyone else seemed to pay less focus on this system. Capcom became the Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter company, Square-Enix only focused on Dragon Quest renakes/remasters and Bravely Default, while Sega and Konami were non-existant. I won't even bring up Western developers.

So yeah, first party wise, the system is almost as good as a system can get. But thord party left something to be desired.

18-Volt

Many of those added some nice new features and SMM has a unique campaign. Platformers on handhelds are pretty great.

Those games ported to 3DS with huge compromises. Static backgrounds for Yoshi and DKC and no uploads of Mario Maker.

You mean.... like....say.... a 4 player coop action game, a 3D Kirby or a rhythm game ?

4 player coop has already been done before, in Amaing Mirror and Return to Dreamland, it's nothing new. Other two are mere minigames, actual gameplay of those 3DS Kirby games is classic beat em up. And they're crazy easy, each can be finished in a day. Wonder if we get a kirby game as challenging as Yoshi's Island or Megaman games...

phanphare

Banned
They were great. But not as great as likes of Epic Yarn or Mass Attack. Both 3Ds Kirby games were same-old gameplay; mash button the beat up everyone. 3DS needed fresh ideas like Mass Attack or Rainbow Curse.

ehh I'd take the two 3DS Kirbys over Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse easily. gameplay > art style.

never played Mass Attack

Luke_Wal

Only knock on it for me is the lack of GBA VC to non-ambassadors. Prevents it from being the one true "Every portable Nintendo game" system it almost was. But phenomenal. Fire Emblem? Ocarina and Majora 3D? 3D Land? Are you kidding me?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I only purchased a New 3DS dl in late 2015 (for Radiant Historia) and I've only recently really gotten into games like Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion 2, and New Super Mario Bros.

I feel as if I have a brand new console to explore.

I do have a random question: is Dragon Quest VIII worth it on the 3DS? It seems like a big downgrade from the PS2 version (which was gorgeous).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Superb. 3d Land, Kid Icarus Uprising ( my portable GOAT), ALBW, Majora's remake, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Kart and so on and on, amazing quality and abundance

MrT-Tar

I only purchased a New 3DS dl in late 2015 (for Radiant Historia) and I've only recently really gotten into games like Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion 2, and New Super Mario Bros.

I feel as if I have a brand new console to explore.

I do have a random question: is Dragon Quest VIII worth it on the 3DS? It seems like a big downgrade from the PS2 version (which was gorgeous).

I haven't got the game (still on my to buy list), but my understanding is that the game is an upgrade. Most notably random encounters have been replaced by visible enemies, and there are two new characters.

Personally, I love the 3DS' first party library and consider it up there with some of Nintendo's finest. It's just a shame it never got an Advance Wars title, what it is most clearly lacking.

Astral Dog

The 3DS was a 1st Party Juggernaut as oppose to the DS whoch was 3rd Party Juggernaut.

Nintendo's support for the 3DS was astounding. High budget mainline entries of their biggest franchises time and time again. Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros, 2, Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, and especially Kid Icarus Uprising. To be fair, the DS wasn't as lacking in first party support as some claim.The system had a lot of quality titles such as Animal Crossing: Wild World, Mario Kart DS, and Yoshi's Island DS (yes this game was good). However, there were a fair share of duds, especially those that were outsourced to other studios.

Unfortunately, while first party support was stellar for the 3DS, third party support was lacking compared to its predecessor. While Atlus rampd up their support with the system, even to the point of adding a mainline Megaten game, everyone else seemed to pay less focus on this system. Capcom became the Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter company, Square-Enix only focused on Dragon Quest renakes/remasters and Bravely Default, while Sega and Konami were non-existant. I won't even bring up Western developers.

So yeah, first party wise, the system is almost as good as a system can get. But thord party left something to be desired.
To be fair, Mega Man is long dead and Capcom made an original RE game for the system (and a few gems that won't leave Japan) their support is A+

Nuu

Banned
To be fair, Mega Man is long dead and Capcom made an original RE game for the system (and a few gems that won't leave Japan) their support is A+
Capcom's support for the DS went beyond MegaMan. I will agree they started off strong with the system. But after the first two years or so they heavily waned.

Mcdohl

I've always been really fond of Nintendo's handhelds, with the exception of the DS (not sure why I never really got into it).

3DS won me back though.

What a beautiful library of games, and to stay on topic, the core of them are first party titles.

Superb job Nintendo.

Keep up the good work with the Nintendo Switch.

WonderzL

Banned
People need to stop forgetting that Kirby is a platformer series and a very good one at that. The series doesn't need gimmicks to be good (although the gimmicks are usually great, e.g Robobot). Triple Deluxe and Robobot are full of fresh ideas. Colorful, creative worlds with fantastic level design + new abilities and the addition of 3D giving actual changes to gameplay.

Triple Deluxe is the best 3DS game.

ryseing

My favorite franchise in all of gaming was resurrected on the 3DS, so it earns an A+ from me. I thought Fire Emblem was dead in the west post Shadow Dragon, but Awakening ensured that I got on board day one. The three games on the system weren't the best in the franchise, but Awakening does deserve marks for being a celebration of the entire series. I didn't play the N64 Zeldas, so getting to play both of those and a LttP sequel was a real treat, in addition to the Zelda games available via VC which were also new to me. Kirby Triple Deluxe was a solid effort, and I appreciate what Kid Icarus attempted even if it hurt my hands.

If a Nintendo platform delivers solid Zeldas and Fire Emblems, it's a success in my book.

For me it's an absolutely incredible first party line up. Quality, variety, and uniqueness.

The third party side of things isn't too bad either. Between both sides, I'll be playing this system for years to come.

Overall great system with 3D Land, ALBW, SSB 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2 being the standout titles for the platform. New Leaf as well if you are into Animal Crossing. Also getting a Metroid 2 Remake. It even got Pikmin and Starfox on the platform as well. The Mario Spin off titles were dissapointing. The 3D remakes of Zelda, Star Fox, DK and Xenoblade were good. The Wii U ports were rather mixed bags. Game freak struggled with the 3DS and its odd to see such a huge franchise like Pokemon have higher quality output. However, the games such as sun and moon really thought out of the box and put a lot of new ideas into the series.

120v

it was a solid lineup but i feel like they could've gone the extra mile... the 3D was perfect for a new starfox, 3D land could've used a sequel, we finally got metroid but that's kind of after the fact

in some ways they really strutted their stuff, in others not

prateeko

I don't see any other option than A+ honestly.

An additional plus could have been earned if we had ended up with an F-Zero and Advance Wars entry on it. Or a Golden Sun.

But what they did bring is just pure A-game. The library, even limited to first party, is just insane.

Yeah. Throw in some very solid virtual console and you have the one system that could carry you over on a desert island (provided you had solar charging of course). The first party lineup is absurd on the 3DS

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The 3DS is one of Nintendo's best software libraries, if not THE best, IMHO.

Practically every major Nintendo franchise is represented outside of F-Zero.
Only Nintendo handheld without a WarioLand/WarioWare. Also, no Wars/Advance Wars.

And holy cow did Nintendo ever drop the ball with the 3D Classics program. Sega put out 29 outstanding 3D conversions, many of them arcade conversions more advanced than any 16-bit hardware could handle (some of which ran *better* than the original arcade versions!). Nintendo complained how hard it was and tapped out after half a dozen NES games, some of them not even first party, and all but Kirby very rudimentary early-gen stuff.

Rating: F-

It's a great console, but definitely some maddening missed opportunities along the way.

Top Bottom