• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what point will you give up pc builds? A Cloud gaming discussion

IAmRei

the network in my place is not cool, i don't think i will use cloud games. i don't know when it will change though. net speed and pricing still way far into the future from my place

Edmund

I play mainly fighting games at an intermediate to high level so cloud gaming is out of the question. I will not even consider it.

Ulysses 31

b6656083-0308-4c32-a78f-1f4388e57503_text.gif

simpatico

I’ve considered the fact the PC I’m building now will probably be my last. At least for depending on local processing power.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not for cloud.
I will sooner full back get back to pc gaming rather than cloud.
The only acceptable "cloud" is streaming to your handheld from your pc/ps5 ... like portal or steam deck solution

Crayon

Idk. I don't spend that much on parts and I only play a couple games where.it seems to matter. I could see using streaming for that occasional AAA while a modest PC handles the other 100,00 games.

Quasicat

I tried the pro version of GeForce Now and it was very impressive, but I couldn’t play most of the games that I own…especially the Sony stuff. I now play Xcloud on my SteamDeck when I can’t play on my TV and it works well. Not as good as Nvidia, but we’ll enough.

Danknugz

I understand that, but at some point which I have been building pc’s for 20 years it gets tiresome. I kinda put builders into a different box than gamers simple because I have been in both and know builders who spend more time tweaking pc’s than ever playing games. I personally have spent 2-3 hours a night tweaking settings trying to get 5more frames and never playing my games.

I’m now older and just want good looking / performing games without the hassle or graphical limitations console have.

Cloud is allowing me to enjoy pc gaming without the cost and maintenance required for most pc gamers.
you're not a real pc gamer then

Tams

Never.

It took 20 years to go from dial-up to 30mbps where I live, and due to not being close to any exchanges, latency is bad enough just playing multiplayer running the game locally.

The factor in it being yet another damn subscription going out every month or yearly, and that the companies could take away my access any time they damn well liked... yeah, no.

Plus, I like technology side of computers, not dumb, bland boxes for Internet access.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

never。
i copy all classic game i own to PC to emulate。msx fc sfc pce md with more。they are mine。
if new game become cloud then i am finish with new game。i have lifetime of old game to play happy if cloud only happen。

rm082e

So what would it need to offer to you for Cloud Gaming become your main platform? What are your concerns, reasons for refusing to use it?

For me, this is a big fat "NEVER!"

The very nature of cloud gaming adds a variable latency to the controls. That means an inconsistent experience, which I have no patience for. I tried PSNow a few years ago, it was so bad the service croaked less than a minute into the game and said my connection wasn't good enough. The game was an unplayable slide-show with more than 1 second of delay between input and reaction on screen. I looked up a server map and my data was going almost 300 miles to hit the server, so 600 mile round trip. It's just not possible to eliminate all that latency compared to using an interface that has a 6' USB cable on my local hardware.

Also, being reliant on an internet connection to play games is a deal breaker for me. I accept this risk for some live service games, but I almost never play those types of games. 98% of my time is spent on single player stuff. I did buy Diablo 4 and launch, and I knew full well it was an always online game. Several times I went to play and there was a server problem. I accepted that because I knew it was part of the deal going in. But I'm never going to rely on a platform that requires me to have an internet connection to play my single player games.

I do buy games digitally on PlayStation and PC, but there's a world of difference to me between downloading a game that I can play on my local hardware without internet, and having to maintain a constant internet connection to play my single player game.

A.Romero

As soon as I can emulate the experience I get on PC, I'd give it a chance.

I used GeForceNow a few years back with a Shield (it was free, I think). It was interesting but the experience wasn't even close.

During the pandemic my GPU got fucked and getting a hold of one was impossible so I turned to XCloud and it was pretty cool, tried The Ascent for example. However, when I got a hold of a GPU later on, I installed The Ascent and it was night and day. I couldn't believe how much detail and quality I was missing.

I really doubt it will ever be possible to do it with the same amount of latency as it is local but if it is possible why not. It's always better to have options.

Guilty_AI

Don't listen to these people OP.

As soon as the advantages outweigh the negatives we'll all switch. People are horrendous at predicting the future.
That's the problem. All the way down to a conceptual level, cloud gaming has barely any advantages.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cause we all know each and every CEO has a degree in clairvoyance, are immune to getting swept away by trends and don't commit any mistakes whatsoever.
Who has a degree in clairvoyance and immune to being swept away by trends?

CEOs or gamers?

StereoVsn

Cloud means worse image quality, latency, no mods, no cheat tables, no way to control pretty much anything. Yeah, I'll skip that. Plus GeForce Now only has a portion of available games on Steam.

I don't see my mindset changing, because the alternative is to run full on VM you can control in a cloud and that gets pricey and still won't help with latency or image quality.

Fbh

I think I live too far away from anywhere relevant for streaming to ever be a valid option for me. My country probably isn't important enough to get servers, and even if we did they'd be in the capital which is over 1000 miles away from here, not sure how viable that is for game streaming.

Also I don't like what it means for game ownership. Digital is already bad enough and we don't have a choice on PC, but at least the files are still on my PC and there are some DRM free options. Streaming is a whole different beast.

Yoda

you give up:
* ownership (granted most PC is digital, so maybe this isn't as much of a concern)
* latency -> limits what games genres you'd play.
* mods

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
no physical games
no physical hardware
no physical controllers
no physical underwear

Relax, they took away free will already so nothing lost. 😀

As far as pc cloud gaming goes, I'd gave to give geforce now another try, my previous attempts years ago would be a hard no. It's appealing though the idea of not needing to update hardware.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
As soon as I can emulate the experience I get on PC, I'd give it a chance.

I used GeForceNow a few years back with a Shield (it was free, I think). It was interesting but the experience wasn't even close.

During the pandemic my GPU got fucked and getting a hold of one was impossible so I turned to XCloud and it was pretty cool, tried The Ascent for example. However, when I got a hold of a GPU later on, I installed The Ascent and it was night and day. I couldn't believe how much detail and quality I was missing.

I really doubt it will ever be possible to do it with the same amount of latency as it is local but if it is possible why not. It's always better to have options.
give geforce now a try again and you might be surprised how fast and more mature the client is now compared to consoles and most PC's

Kumomeme

never. even if Cloud become a norm, it dont think i would ditch PC building even if younger kid gonna call me old school.

there is fun and charm in building own PC and honestly i dont think it would go away. certain part of industry aside general consumer, country or usage might still prefer that and even if Cloud gonna end up as a norm, i say it still not gonna replace everything. 'offline' hardware would still be there as option and even requirement on certain case. even if the market end up shrinking.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Tried the supposedly "best of the best" (GeForce Now over a fiber connection with nearby servers) and I still can't stand the input lag and muddied image quality of cloud gaming compared to local.

Sakura

It would need to have no added latency, no video compression, no subscription, and the games would have to be available forever.

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
TV’s need to be modernized to support hdmi2.1 with chipsets that allow decoding 4k/120 from their services as no tv currently supports GeForce now or other game streaming services. Nvidia needs to be more “aggressive” who they give their client to or have a GeForce now pro label that ensures you will get the best quality and frame rates on this tv.
GeForce NOW, xCloud, and Amazon Luna are all available on some smart TVs.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/cloud-gaming/verified-devices-for-xbox-cloud-gaming
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/system-reqs/#smart-tv

dcx4610

Never. The fun of building a powerful PC is knowing that your hardware is running it. I have zero interest in having someone's else computer run a game and stream it down to me.

Maybe I'd change my mind if we got to a point where you have supercomputers rendering the game and internet was so fast that streaming was imperceptible to playing a game locally. Until/if that happens, nope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom