• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ryza sales top 150,000 in first week in Japan

Bullet Club

Atelier Ryza sales top 150,000 in first week in Japan

Strongest sales in series history.

4449BrZ.jpg

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout sold more than 150,000 copies during its first week of release in Japan last week, according to a Washington Street Journal report.

According to the outlet, pre-orders for the game outpaced those for recent games in the 22-year-old Atelier series, and sales were the fastest for any title in series.

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout launched PlayStation 4 and Switch on September 26 in Japan, and is due out for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on October 29 in North America and November 1 in Europe.

Source: Gematsu

Durask

Congrats!
57d618eab5be499abea3c4b8d1af33c1.gif

They really steped-up their game and it shows. I hope other mid-range Japanese companies like Falcom,Compile Heart etc finally take notice and follow in their steps.

yes, from what I've seen on this game, very nice graphics for a niche game.
I love Falcom but their graphics...

joe_zazen

How are Atelier games?
is it mostly item crafting?
how much exploration and combat is there?

I’d say 50% combat/exploration and 50% in town stuff (socials, crafting, story). But that is just a rough estimate and ive only played three of them.

Give it a shot if you have any love for Japanese stuff. They are very well made AA jrpgs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

DrJohnGalt

Banned
These are the kind of games I should love but I just couldn't get into it. I like all the selling points on paper - crafting, exploration, combat, and a fun world - but the last one I played (Sophie) just didn't hold my interest.

But like the fool I am, I may try this one to see if anything is different.

Ulysses 31

They're lighthearted with no existential thread to the world or even the place you live. You mainly go out to gather ingredients and fight monsters in the way to complete tasks within a deadline.

FStubbs

Will this one have time limits? A dub?

It does look like they stepped their game up this time, though even Lulua was better than the last few games.

Reactions: Isa

Durask

Thankfully Ryza doesn't have a deadline and hopefully the same will apply to all future Atelier games as well.

Hmm, now I am tempted to try it out.
No save the world scenario sounds like a nice change.
Steam?

I prefer PC because if I get bored I can use cheats to fast forward through the game. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

FStubbs

Hmm, now I am tempted to try it out.
No save the world scenario sounds like a nice change.
Steam?

I prefer PC because if I get bored I can use cheats to fast forward through the game. :messenger_grinning:

If you get bored, play something else. These games are almost meant to be played in chunks anyway.

Portable (Switch) is a great fit.

Isa

Hell yeah this is great news. I look forward to seeing how it does over here. I too am interested in how well the game performs on the Switch, as that's where I preordered my collector's edition. I watched one of those live shows they did a while back for the Switch and it seemed alright, just blurrier. This will be my first Atelier outing not on PS4, feels weird man. I hope they work with this artist again in the future.

MikonJuice

What kind of rpg is that?
Something similar to Recettear?

ps: Recettear, a game about having a store... you go to dungeons and expand your store.. etc.

Dane

Me: I ain't paying for microtransactions, miss me with that gay shit.

Also me: I'm going to spent my entire wage in this thicc game.

Last edited:

Aranea

I'm glad the game is performing well. Last game i played was Atelier Ayesha and that was pretty fun actually. I pre ordered the limited edition of Atelier Ryza a while ago. I would say the main character design is what making the game sell so well. I have seen a lot of fanart of Ryza being created which certainly has helped promote the game. Even some artist have been mimicking the Atelier art direction on some of their work. Such as this one.

__klaudia_valentz_and_reisalin_stout_atelier_series_and_etc_drawn_by_tamiya_akito__09b34ed4771b4fd5b14bd10abad14e30.png

V2Tommy

I’m not falling for this series again. It’s just too lighthearted and whimsical when all I really wanted was Magical Girl: The Game: The Movie: The Gritty Reboot

Bkdk

I love the character design but if the story is too light hearted it’s hard to get immersed. At least I’d like AI sodium files type of light hearted story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love the character design but if the story is too light hearted it’s hard to get immersed. At least I’d like AI sodium files type of light hearted story.
So the story needs to be dark in order to be "immersive"?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ayesha's game is literally about the world dying. It has a sombre feeling and the music shows that. Shame the rest of the trilogy pissed that away.

Top Bottom