• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Durante

matmanx1 said:
Great pics and nice OT. Did a good job of getting me fired up!
Thanks, I selected the screenshots from the official site, which for some reason packs every single one in a separate .swf. It wasn't exactly pleasant :p

Torillian

Neo Member
Acosta said:
This will be my first Atelier, will I be too lost getting so late into the series?

not really, there are a couple returning characters but all you'll really lose is the feeling of nastalgia from seeing them again.

Now if you don't mean lost by the story but lost by the gameplay mechanics (particularly alchemy) I think the system in Totori is easier to get a handle on than the first game, and there are a reasonable number of tutorials to help you get into the swing of it. Time management is also much easier in Totori since objectives aren't split up into 3 month periods but instead you just have a really long time to get to a certain adventurer rank which can be obtained by doing all kinds of things. Basically you up your rank by dicking around, for lack of a better term

Acosta

Torillian said:
not really, there are a couple returning characters but all you'll really lose is the feeling of nastalgia from seeing them again.

Now if you don't mean lost by the story but lost by the gameplay mechanics (particularly alchemy) I think the system in Totori is easier to get a handle on than the first game, and there are a reasonable number of tutorials to help you get into the swing of it. Time management is also much easier in Totori since objectives aren't split up into 3 month periods but instead you just have a really long time to get to a certain adventurer rank which can be obtained by doing all kinds of things. Basically you up your rank by dicking around, for lack of a better term

Thanks!

Durante

Torillian said:
Torillian, since you seem to be the only one in this thread who already played the game, how difficult/time-intensive is it to reach all the endings in Totori compared to Rorona? I'd like to try platinum'ing the game, but not if it takes 3 or more complete playthroughs.

Torillian

Neo Member
Durante said:
Torillian, since you seem to be the only one in this thread who already played the game, how difficult/time-intensive is it to reach all the endings in Totori compared to Rorona? I'd like to try platinum'ing the game, but not if it takes 3 or more complete playthroughs.

It's not too rough, I almost had all the endings but then I found out I started a bit too late to possibly get them all, the character endings are much easier to get this time around since you gain friendship just by traveling together.

You can do it in a single playthrough if you're willing to read a guide and get some minor spoilers, two if you want to play it blind the first way through. Most time intensive thing is you'll have to get 500,000 gold or something like that for one of the endings and it's quite a dull process to amass that much.

spoiler warning, but here's the guide I was using if you decide you want a platinum in the first run: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/atelier-totori-alchemist-arland-2/120436-trophy-guide-road-map.html

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've never played an Atelier game before. Do you think it would be worth it for me to pick it up? Do you think this will be hard to find later? I've been trying not to buy games at launch since I have such a back log.

Deeku

Trojita said:
I've never played an Atelier game before. Do you think it would be worth it for me to pick it up? Do you think this will be hard to find later? I've been trying not to buy games at launch since I have such a back log.
I only picked up Rorona earlier this year (you can probably still find it at some online retailers), so it shouldn't be too hard to find even after a few months.

i HOPE that the bs is a bit more interesting than rorona...
rorona bs was WAY TOO plain... ok it's not the game focus, but it was too retro-style..

Durante

Trojita said:
It used to be the case that NISA's Gust game print runs were notoriously low and the games actually often went up in price a few months after release. However, recently it seems like they've been better about doing reprints if the demand is there. I just went looking for rorona, and it's still available, but for example at Amazon it's more expensive than it was at release.

Rarutos

Really hoping NISA ships tomorrow! Is anyone as hyped as I am?!

I wonder if Totori's Container is bigger than Rorona's. 999 item limit was just too small!

Rarutos

QisTopTier said:
I really really want to play this, but I need to play part 1 first haha. The game is so damn pretty O.O
It really is! I thought Rorona was pretty already, but Totori and Meruru's graphics just blow me away!

Heck, GUST was confident enough with their 3D graphics that they did Meruru's opening movie completely with the in-game graphics engine rather than an animation!

Oh yes, and I'd like to point out that RPGamer put their Totori review up!

90/100 --Gamertell
4.5/5 --RPGamer

Are the first two review scores so far. Nice! I'm really looking forward to this game.

Oh and nice OT.

Rarutos

Takuya said:
NISA's not gonna get Totori to us before launch.. =(

Not even at launch maybe.
Which is why I'm hoping it'll ship tomorrow! Aaah, of all the games for NISA to not ship early... ;_;

Noxie

Neo Member
I'm sad about no early shipments, but I'm still looking forward to this! Probably one of my most anticipated games this year. I'm even planning to platinum it, though I haven't done that in Rorona yet.

Really hope NISA ships the game out tomorrow as well!

Rarutos

Noxie said:
I'm sad about no early shipments, but I'm still looking forward to this! Probably one of my most anticipated games this year. I'm even planning to platinum it, though I haven't done that in Rorona yet.

Really hope NISA ships the game out tomorrow as well!
Its definitely my most anticipated of the year for sure! Of course, as you already know, I'm a huge GUST nerd. <3

I really want to Platinum it too, much like I did with Rorona! I wonder if it's any easier...

Rarutos said:
Its definitely my most anticipated of the year for sure!

Mine's too. But the weird thing is, I really don't know why or how that happened.

It all started last year when Patrick Gann from RPG Fan wrote his praising review of Totori's OST saying it was a return to form for Gust. I imported the soundtrack shortly a month or two after and I liked it enough, but I didn't think it was super special at first. This was all before Rorona came out in NA and I was thinking about skipping that game, but ended up buying it and it was okay.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year and now I have a new pair of better headphones, Ar tonelico III is out, and all of a sudden the Totori soundtrack seemed to have grown on me a lot and as I played Ar tonelico, I couldn't stop thinking about this Totori. I decided to watch vids and all and I saw what seemed like a pretty big improvement over Rorona. Some importers were saying the game was much better than the predecessor, so my interest just kept going up.

The one thing I really disliked about the Japanese version was Totori's voice though. Way too annoying. So I was hopeful NISA would cast a better English VA for her. So who did they get? Cassandra Lee Morris. This lady is AWESOME! Thank you, NISA!

From there, my hype just kept growing and growing. Now the game is almost out. I can't wait! I hope it's really good. I'm not sure what it is I'm wanting out of it. If its a challenge, humor, or something else. I have a lot of fears for the narrative, especially since this is from Gust and there will no doubt be fan service. But I find Totori interesting somehow and I'm hopeful a nice story can unfold from a shy girl's perspective.

Is the game great? It looks like I may find out this week! Go Go Totori!

Ravage

Rarutos said:
It really is! I thought Rorona was pretty already, but Totori and Meruru's graphics just blow me away!

Heck, GUST was confident enough with their 3D graphics that they did Meruru's opening movie completely with the in-game graphics engine rather than an animation!

Oh yes, and I'd like to point out that RPGamer put their Totori review up!

I only glanced through the RPGamer piece (avoiding spoilers at all cost) but it seems to be a glowing review ^^

I have high expectations for the music component as i really really love the tracks in Rorona. Glad to see Totori delivering on the audio front plus kudos to NISA for the solid localization.

Rarutos

Ravage said:
I only glanced through the RPGamer piece (avoiding spoilers at all cost) but it seems to be a glowing review ^^

I have high expectations for the music component as i really really love the tracks in Rorona. Glad to see Totori delivering on the audio front plus kudos to NISA for the solid localization.
Yes, I just glanced through as well, since I'm also trying to avoid reading too much on the game to give myself a fresh experience!

And I've always loved GUST's music! It always has a particular flavor to it that makes it quite unique compared to other OSTs.

I'm kind of hoping I'd be able to do Meruru's OT eventually, hopefully I'm a member by the time it comes out! I love GUST's games so much that I'd want to do something to contribute with it once in a while.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Rarutos said:
I really want to Platinum it too, much like I did with Rorona! I wonder if it's any easier...
I looked over the trophies (as much as I could without spoilers), seems like it should be a bit easier than Rorona. No friendship 100 or stuff like that and the money trophy is down to 500,000G. :)
There are only 29 trophies this time.

Takuya

Banned
Jucksalbe said:
I looked over the trophies (as much as I could without spoilers), seems like it should be a bit easier than Rorona. No friendship 100 or stuff like that and the money trophy is down to 500,000G. :)
There are only 29 trophies this time.
It wasn't overly difficult to Platinum Rorona, just time consuming really. I hope they didn't make it TOO easy with Totori.

scy

Oh lord, I forgot about this until I saw the topic. Good thing I pre-ordered it already, though I somehow doubt I'll get around to it in the immediate future.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Takuya said:
It wasn't overly difficult to Platinum Rorona, just time consuming really. I hope they didn't make it TOO easy with Totori.
That's true. Wipeout's platinum took me half the time of Rorona's, but it felt so much longer.
It really depends on what you have to do to get all the different endings. From what I read it should be easier in Totori to raise your friendship level which from my experience took the most time in Rorona. So I guess it will also be shorter to platinum.

matmanx1

Hopefully NIS is shipping this out today. I went with the cheap, free shipping and I'm on the East Coast so I won't be getting it for several days but it would still be nice to know it's on the way. From what I hear and see I am expecting good things from Totori.

Ravage

Jucksalbe said:
That's true. Wipeout's platinum took me half the time of Rorona's, but it felt so much longer.
It really depends on what you have to do to get all the different endings. From what I read it should be easier in Totori to raise your friendship level which from my experience took the most time in Rorona. So I guess it will also be shorter to platinum.

Platinum-ing Rorona certainly took some time but i enjoyed myself while doing so.

Wipeout platinum though...that's something out of my league. I'm still stuck at 47% >.<

Pyrrhus

Is this one any more like the Atelier Iris/Mana Khemia branch of the series? My wife really enjoyed those but didn't care as much for Rorona and outright didn't like Annie. I'm considering surprising her with this but if it's about the same in its structure...

Also, since I'm here, can anyone explain what the "barrel" running gag is supposed to be about?

Rarutos

Pyrrhus said:
Is this one any more like the Atelier Iris/Mana Khemia branch of the series? My wife really enjoyed those but didn't care as much for Rorona and outright didn't like Annie. I'm considering surprising her with this but if it's about the same in its structure...

Also, since I'm here, can anyone explain what the "barrel" running gag is supposed to be about?
It's similar to Rorona because it's in the same world. Obviously the mechanics are improved overall in general, but it's still the same core game. I hear it's more relaxed than Rorona though, but if the thing your wife doesn't like is the general focus on the passage of time and synthesizing items, then she still probably wouldn't like it as much as Iris or Mana-Khemia.

It's just been a thing in the whole series I guess. Not sure why exactly, but I believe that it's been a joke for the characters to say "Barrel!" since the first game in the series Atelier Marie! I'll ask my friend that played Marie to make sure...

bryehn

Since Rune Factory was delayed I'm thinking about getting this. I only ever played AI 2/3 but loved them (mainly battle mechanics), will I like this?

Rarutos

bryehn said:
Since Rune Factory was delayed I'm thinking about getting this. I only ever played AI 2/3 but loved them (mainly battle mechanics), will I like this?
Perhaps if you expect it to be more like Rune Factory than the Iris games themselves you might!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hopefully "Barrel!" is dubbed this time. I was so sad that they left that text only (in the English version). Sometimes it's the little things...

Rarutos

Jucksalbe said:
Hopefully "Barrel!" is dubbed this time. I was so sad that they left that text only (in the English version). Sometimes it's the little things...
When I had the English voices on for a bit, I noticed how so many little lines weren't voiced... Like when you're simply talking to your party members in the city, or when Rorona was synthesizing. Loses some of the charm really. I wonder why NISA doesn't have time to dub the game fully when they have a lot more time to work on the Atelier games than say Disgaea 4, which they apparently did more VAing for...

Edit: I feel a bit bad for those that are skipping Rorona and going straight for Totori, they're going to miss Astrid. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's probably more of a cost issue. The Disgaea series tends to sell a lot more than Atelier.

Edit: Astrid's not in Totori? Considering her English VA was the worst I heard in quite a while that's probably a good thing.

Rarutos

Jucksalbe said:
It's probably more of a cost issue. The Disgaea series tends to sell a lot more than Atelier.

Edit: Astrid's not in Totori? Considering here English VA was the worst I heard in quite a while that's probably a good thing.
Yeah that's true... Still a bit sad to see them put noticeably less effort into a release though. Shouldn't all games be localized with love equally? I was thinking of making a topic in NISA's forums in the Feedback section pointing this out depending on how Totori's localization is...

And nope, she's not
which isn't really too hard to believe if you've beaten Rorona
. At least, as far as I know. She comes back in Meruru though!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Rarutos said:
And nope, she's not
which isn't really too hard to believe if you've beaten Rorona
That depends on which ending they used.
Would have been nice if
they went with Astrid's ending where she ends up being your rival in town.

Rarutos

Jucksalbe said:
That depends on which ending they used.
Would have been nice if
they went with Astrid's ending where she ends up being your rival in town.
It would have! But I wasn't really expecting to use any of the character endings to be honest... Except maybe Cordelia's.

Edit: RPGfan's Totori review is up!

Edit 2: Bad news guys... Someone at the NISA forums called customer support about the shipping and well....

Not sure if it's for the online store only, or in general. Guess we'll find out tomorrow?

Top Bottom