• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atleast 189 dead after Terror Attack in Mogadishu

So many of these have occurred this year, along with the shootings, natural disasters and presidential scandals. The world feels like its going to end.

We were just looking at a job opening there. Horrifying act of cowardice, everyone involved in planning and executing it should be left to starve to death in a hole somewhere.

What line of work are you in?

RIP to all of the victims. Absolutely tragic and I cannot even begin to comprehend a solution for all of this senseless violence.

Shiloa

I'm feeling pretty angry/sad at the whole thing. Just another reminder of how completely messed up human 'civilisation' still is on so many levels.

Story is on the BBC News front page, but in a sidebar between a video about the £1 coin, and a feelgood (?) story about conjoined twins being separated in the DRC.

For me it's front and centre of the homepage.

0weWNqL.png

And has been from the moment it happened.

Guys I feel like this isn't really exclusive to "Western" media. I don't think Chinese and Asian media are treating this news any better.

Mesousa

Banned
Guys I feel like this isn't really exclusive to "Western" media. I don't think Chinese and Asian media are treating this news any better.

Save the Sinophobia mate. This is a western site, so the vast majority of us are right to call out the lack information given about this by the western media.

Nipo

At least my local NPR is currently talking about the attack and the conflicting reports of causalities. Good job WAMU

onken

Awful, RIP to the victims.

It isn't in the West, so it doesn't matter to them. I guess that's the reality of it. There are plenty of attacks we hear next to nothing about because they occur in places like East and Northeast Africa, the Middle East. They get these tiny sections on news sites and float away after a day because it isn't an attack on some 'safe' place like major European and North American cities.

I'm not sure if it's because they expect these attacks to happen in those places, so it doesn't seem like news to them, or if it's because it isn't furthering some agenda in terms of instilling fear in us.

You answered your own question. If every time there was a deadly attack in the Middle East or Africa it got put on the front page of western media.. sheesh there wouldn't be much room for anything else. Same reason why so many relatively small mass shootings in the US don't even make it beyond local news outlets.

Just saw this on the BBC website, Holy God that is so sickening, to bring about that much death and harm. My heart goes out to them.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
What line of work are you in?

RIP to all of the victims. Absolutely tragic and I cannot even begin to comprehend a solution for all of this senseless violence.

International teaching. We have been looking to move to another school and there were openings at the major intentional school there and they pay around 70K a year so we were tempted, but decided not to apply for safety concerns.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The lack of coverage and overall sympathy when it comes to mass tragedies in non-western countries is truly disturbing and sickening.

AaronB

That's a horrifying number of dead and injured. Condolences to the victims and their families.

Has anyone seen a good explanation of the motivation? Assuming it was really al-Shebaab, mass killing of civilians should work to turn the general public against them. This doesn't seem targeted like their massacre of Christian students some months ago.

Derwind

That's a horrifying number of dead and injured. Condolences to the victims and their families.

Has anyone seen a good explanation of the motivation? Assuming it was really al-Shebaab, mass killing of civilians should work to turn the general public against them. This doesn't seem targeted like their massacre of Christian students some months ago.

From what I understood is that their targets could have been diplomats given the proximity to the Airport.

Ogodei

Because al-Shabaab, which used to run that part of the country (time was when "the government" of Somalia only controlled a small strip around the Mogadishu airport) is slowly losing their grip and is turning the terrorist tactics they had used outside the country inwards.

Derwind

Because al-Shabaab, which used to run that part of the country (time was when "the government" of Somalia only controlled a small strip around the Mogadishu airport) is slowly losing their grip and is turning the terrorist tactics they had used outside the country inwards.

Al-Shabab has been using terroristic attacks & bombing tactics on Somali soil since its inception, the death toll is just much larger than the lower double digits here.

Kickz

Awful, RIP to the victims.

You answered your own question. If every time there was a deadly attack in the Middle East or Africa it got put on the front page of western media.. sheesh there wouldn't be much room for anything else. Same reason why so many relatively small mass shootings in the US don't even make it beyond local news outlets.

And you answered your own question as this isnt some run of the mill attack, but the biggest terrorist attack in the history of Somalia

It isn't in the West, so it doesn't matter to them. I guess that's the reality of it. There are plenty of attacks we hear next to nothing about because they occur in places like East and Northeast Africa, the Middle East. They get these tiny sections on news sites and float away after a day because it isn't an attack on some 'safe' place like major European and North American cities.

I'm not sure if it's because they expect these attacks to happen in those places, so it doesn't seem like news to them, or if it's because it isn't furthering some agenda in terms of instilling fear in us.
There's no agenda here. Look at this thread and see how there are under 100 responses. People on GAF don't care about this, how do you expect the rest of the country to?

Calcaneus

RIP to the victims. Yesterday the news was saying the initial death toll was around 50 and I was praying it wouldn't grow, this is just horrible.

There's no agenda here. Look at this thread and see how there are under 100 responses. People on GAF don't care about this, how do you expect the rest of the country to?

There is an agenda. The media's priorities are warped when it comes to informing the public. And a story they should be covering and letting people know about isn't getting significant attention.

mdubs

Banned
There is an agenda. The media's priorities are warped when it comes to informing the public. And a story they should be covering and letting people know about isn't getting significant attention.
The agenda is that the media isn’t going to run the story prominently if people won’t care. Sadly this type of thing is probably seen as being unsurprising and routine by most people, hence the lack of people commenting on it even on this forum. People only have a set amount of empathy to allocate to all the terrible things going on in the world today so it doesn’t seem too surprising that the people of the Western world at large are focused on issues closer to home. Sad, but it’s human nature.

Top Bottom