• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus shutting down its forums

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Probably got tired of every thread being "Fix the VLR 3DS retail save bug already!"

Rolf NB

Uh-oh.
How much money does it cost to keep a low-traffic forum like that running? Do they have (employed) full-time moderators?

mollipen

I'm not saying Atlus is dying.

I'm just saying that I barely made it through the death of SNK back in the day, and even though they're (kinda) back, it left me permanently scarred. Let's be clear God: try to make me go through such a thing again with Atlus, and I won't survive.

Sophia

I mentioned this in the Persona community thread, but neither the quality of the posts nor the quantity of the posts are very high. The general discussion forum only has 21 pages going back five years. The costs of keeping it open for such an echo chamber probably aren't worth it.

enoki

It's really not surprising. I love the Atlus forums to death, but they've been pretty much abandoned for all of a couple years now. All that remains are some extremely dedicated fans.

It's sad, but this isn't the LOL Atlus shutting down gg say hi to Sega disaster like it's going to inevitably be made out to be.

VXLbeast

The way that is written is brilliant. And the reactions here are just as good. Always sad to see a forum go, but you can't hardly blame them. Still, all those years of discussion will vanish in just a little bit.

Lunar15

They probably just didn't want to deal with the backlash from sega deciding to not localize Persona 5.

Am I doing this right?

Squire

Banned
I mentioned this in the Persona community thread, but neither the quality of the posts nor the quantity of the posts are very high. The general discussion forum only has 21 pages going back five years. The costs of keeping it open for such an echo chamber probably aren't worth it.

Yeah, it's sad it has to be stated, but hosting a forum costs money. A Twitter account and a Facebook page are free.

They probably just didn't want to deal with the backlash from sega deciding to not localize Persona 5.

Am I doing this right?

I think you've got it down.

Voliko

Their forums have been dead for a while. You can't kill the dead.

The mods were notorious for being jerks. I remember one responding to many complaints about the lack of manuals for a lot of their 3DS games by jokingly saying he was going to ask his boss if he could stick a "no manual inside!" on to the cover of the next game or something to that effect.

Squire

Banned
Their forums have been dead for a while. You can't kill the dead.

The mods were notorious for being jerks. I remember one responding to many complaints about the lack of manuals for a lot of their 3DS games by jokingly saying he was going to ask his boss if he could stick a "no manual inside!" on to the cover of the next game or something to that effect.

That's hilarious.

Interesting on the eve of a major announcement, actually removing an avenue of marketing/community-interaction rather than adding one.

Also can't wait for Zodick the Hellhog to join my demon compendium

zodick_the_hellhog_bio_draft_by_srloctober23-d4c5rbz.jpg

Velcro Fly

I only registered there to add my voice to people wanting P2:EP PSP localized a long time ago. Think I've been back there a handful of times since and never again posted. Hyperbole and panic aside, it isn't as huge a deal as everyone thinks. It's 100% fact that the forums there are pretty much dead anyway. As long as I keep getting e-mails and can follow on twitter and post on their facebook page I think I'm ok.

pelican

I'm pretty sure the only real reason is that they don't want to spend money operating it any more.

Agreed, as someone who got over reporting every detail of their life on Facebook this is a weak move.

There is no reason a developer/publisher can't cover multiple bases and operate a forum for their really passionate fans, and use facebook/google+/twitter as a means of carpet bombing information to the others.

starmud

if the number of people who have replied in this thread were active on the forums, maybe things would have been different... >___>

the atlus twitter/facebook account have been more active in fan communication/chat versus the forums for sometime. both are near to surpassing the overall registered members on the forums, and a huge number of those users never log in...

altus is one of the few examples i've seen where the facebook and twitter followers walk lock step, one and one. usually for companies, one is much weaker than the other. it shows the fan base for them will follow easily.

Goldenhen

Twitter and Facebook is a terrible replacement of the forum. Because you never able to search and find the answer you want on twitter and facebook.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Getting ready for the Persona 5 Wii U onslaught.

vireland

Agreed, as someone who got over reporting every detail of their life on Facebook this is a weak move.

There is no reason a developer/publisher can't cover multiple bases and operate a forum for their really passionate fans, and use facebook/google+/twitter as a means of carpet bombing information to the others.

Exactly. A well-run Forum is just one more method (I would still say the BEST method) of developing a tight fan community. Twitter and (ugh) Facebook are not the same or better in practice, and functionally worse. Completely eliminating a (let's be big-picture honest - DIRT CHEAP to run) forum is not a positive development.

disco

They're taking the forums away in anticipation of a slowdown in EU/NA localisation announcements. Trying to get rid of their fan's voices.

Eusis

People losing jobs man...

*hangs head in shame*
Dude they'd just spend more time localizing games or just enjoying (or wasting knowing how most of us really are) their free time. I don't think they actually HIRED anyone specifically for forum moderation.

Top Bottom