• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citra Emulator is being shut down

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bunnei confirms Yuzu is shutting down — and it’ll hit Nintendo 3DS emulator Citra too.

ICEr3ig.png

Here’s the whole memo from Bunnei, who was lead contributor on both emulators. We’ve also added the full text to our main story if that makes it easier to read. Yuzu’s GitHub is already down.

Hello yuz-ers and Citra fans: We write today to inform you that yuzu [sic] and yuzu's support of Citra are being discontinued, effective immediately. yuzu and its team have always been against piracy. We started the projects in good faith, out of passion for Nintendo and its consoles and games, and were not intending to cause harm. But we see now that because our projects can circumvent Nintendo's technological protection measures and allow users to play games outside of authorized hardware, they have led to extensive piracy. In particular, we have been deeply disappointed when users have used our software to leak game content prior to its release and ruin the experience for legitimate purchasers and fans. We have come to the decision that we cannot continue to allow this to occur. Piracy was never our intention, and we believe that piracy of video games and on video game consoles should end. Effective today, we will be pulling our code repositories offline, discontinuing our Patreon accounts and Discord servers, and, soon, shutting down our websites. We hope our actions will be a small step toward ending piracy of all creators' works. Thank you for your years of support and for understanding our decision.

via The Verge

Puscifer

Oh seriously, fuck Nintendo for Citra. You aren't even making the 3DS anymore let alone have a market for 2nd hand units to buy stuff digitally nor are you even emulating on the switch like you did WiiU, what's the goal here other than sending a message that's way too late?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Emulator leads to piracy, I'm shocked.

(I'm not saying emulators shouldn't exist, I absolutely think they should. But the way the developer is being fake surprised/disappointed that their emulator that can be used for piracy has been used for (probably primarily) piracy is a little humorous.)

Puscifer

Emulator leads to piracy, I'm shocked.

(I'm not saying emulators shouldn't exist, I absolutely think they should. But the way the developer is being fake surprised/disappointed that their emulator that can be used for piracy has been used for (probably primarily) piracy is a little humorous.)
Except it's literally too late in terms of Citra

BlackTron

It doesn't appear to me that Nintendo made any fuss over 3DS specifically? If you look at the legal papers in the other thread game they referred to "Nintendo games", not Nintendo Switch games. Having just been backhanded by Nintendo's lawyers over Yuzu I can't imagine I would wait for them to specify additional emulators they want removed for 2.5 million each.

Edit: An attorney is not going to specify that they prohibit a party from distributing emulators only for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo's unnamed future console that they cannot name. They would just prohibit NINTENDO GAMES and be done with it. If I was a party on the receiving end of that settlement and I had a Game Boy emulator I would delete it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It doesn't appear to me that Nintendo made any fuss over 3DS specifically? If you look at the legal papers in the other thread game they referred to "Nintendo games", not Nintendo Switch games. Having just been backhanded by Nintendo's lawyers over Yuzu I can't imagine I would wait for them to specify additional emulators they want removed for 2.5 million each.
This.

Or, who knows? Maybe some uprezzed / expanded 3DS games are scheduled for Switch 2 and they’re preventing possible incoming suits. BTW, one such game (Luigi’s Mansion 2) is coming this year.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think this is alarmism, unless more information comes out.

The only information released says that Yuzu and "Yuzu's support of Citra" is being terminated.

Citra itself will presumably live on in open-source development.
Someone will spin up a repo and make a tweak or two but I would be surprised if the level of development that has been happening continues. Usually when the core team quits the soul of the project is gone.

tkscz

The lawsuit settlement didn't mention Citra what-so-ever but being made by the same team, sounds like they did this to not have to payout to Nintendo any further.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It already is; others will post a fork somewhere and continue the work.

But they surely won't be as stupid as Yuzu, and won't set up a Patreon.

The Yuzu devs made a huge mistake porting Yuzu to Android and then publishing their emulator on the Google Play store. That put them right in Nintendo's cross hairs.

FeralEcho

2nd hand game prices are ridiculous and/or you can't even buy the game directly from Nintendo.

All those games lost to the void 😭
I don't even have a PC and tgis news annoys me to hell and back cuz today literally all that happened with this news is hundreds of games are buried and lost now.If Nintendo ACTUALLY gave a shit about the devs or the games they'd put all these games on the EShop for people to buy but nope,I guess they needed to fill their "greedy cunts" quota for the month.

cireza

"Citra : Hey Nintendo, we have decided to shut down Citra !"

"Nintendo : WTF is Citra already ? Let me check..."

"Citra : Er..."

"Yuzu : I told you to shut up !"

Last edited:

SolidQ

Now Nintendo will sell those Roms for 70$
Citra will be still aviable. You can't delete from internet

Last edited:
Top Bottom