• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATTACK ON TITAN (PS4/PS3/PSV) - New Offscreen gameplay (3D Maneuver gear)

Reknoc

Honestly looks like it plays almost exactly like the 3DS game without all the button prompts, and hopefully better controls.

Meier

Pretty impressive and looks to capture the 3D motion well. Omega Force generally put out a fun game at a minimum, so I'm interested.

WITHE1982

Mikasa (and potentially Levi) will be super OP in the game.

I wonder if they'll feature (slight season 1 spoiler)
titan transformations and battles
in game? I hope so.

Akiller

Eren has killed more titans in that video than during the entire anime.

Gameplay looks really faithful to the manga/anime but i feel like i'll get bored after killing the first 3-4 titans.

So is this game going to be retelling the story of the anime or what? I wasn't really interested until I saw the gameplay video. Looks fun, but I am curious how long that gameplay will be fun... like an entire game worth of just fighting titans that same way over and over? Ehh, I dunno. Maybe different characters will have different skills.

Akiller

So is this game going to be retelling the story of the anime or what? I wasn't really interested until I saw the gameplay video. Looks fun, but I am curious how long that gameplay will be fun... like an entire game worth of just fighting titans that same way over and over? Ehh, I dunno. Maybe different characters will have different skills.

Story will be the first season of the anime.

BadWolf

Surprised at how well they seem to have nailed the traversal mechanic.

The combat looks like it will get old fast though.

Schlomo

Looks much better than I'd have expected, though I don't like how you can change direction over and over in mid-air.

Looks really great...

I'm not sure what they are going to do about the plot though.

Mainly because in the anime, non of the mains are particularly effective at killing titans and also the humans pretty much lose every single battle.

Dammit, I'm not seriously getting hyped for a licensed game, am I? I guess I am.

Well, the Ninja Storm series is pretty decent and has fantastic visuals. Korra game let me down.

Not my thing, but even the new GiTS game looks pretty rad.

RangerBAD

That can't be normal. Isn't it the equivalent of someone saying "yeah" after every 5 words spoken to them?

That would be pretty annoying as well.

It's totally normal and it lets the speaker know you are listening. It's not so much a "yes" as acknowledgement. Plus the guy is in a superior station to her.

I think they captured the feel of the 3DMG as close as possible but they're missing the sense of speed you would get from traversal. And no destructible environs is a bit saddening.

snk-flying.gif

Anime physics.

The speed is the same, the only difference is the camera angle and the animation.

If the camera angle was just as close as the gif you showed, it'll show the same sense of speed.

Skittles

No resource management on gas or blades would kind of kill this for me. Along with auto hooking and not a very good sense of speed. Besides that everything else look good

Gbraga

This actually looks pretty damn good. Hopefully the mission design will be more elaborated than just "here's a big ass location that resembles an arc of the story, kill N titans".

Look good, but no destructible building? Titans just wonder around the city doing nothing?

Not overly impressed. What SnK games need to capture is the tension that the anime presents. Here, the Titans have pretty choreographed actions and they're easily telegraphed.

I expected this to be much faster, too. But it looks like the tech may be holding them back. That was some horrendous LOD and streaming.

Exactly. Where is the tension, where are the stakes?

The Titans aren't grabbing wires and throwing people, and even if they did it wouldn't matter because there is zero fall or collision damage. And the killing of every Titan seems to already be such a rote affair. Chop some limbs off (for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much extra challenge if you don't) and then swing around and hit the nape. Just because that's what killing a Titan in the fiction essentially amounts to, doesn't mean it plays out in such a repetitive, bland way every time.

This is going to be bad. Sorry. It will be better than previous attempts (the navigation doesn't seem that bad) but this is a hollow interpretation of the action of the show.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry

The Titans aren't grabbing wires and throwing people, and even if they did it wouldn't matter because there is zero fall or collision damage. And the killing of every Titan seems to already be such a rote affair. Chop some limbs off (for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much extra challenge if you don't) and then swing around and hit the nape. Just because that's what killing a Titan in the fiction essentially amounts to, doesn't mean it plays out in such a repetitive, bland way every time.

This is going to be bad. Sorry. It will be better than previous attempts (the navigation doesn't seem that bad) but this is a hollow interpretation of the action of the show.

Tutorial

Elandyll

Banned
This is going to be the shortest game ever. Barely anything happens in the anime, other than lots of screaming.
The trolling runs strong in this thread, between some considering that -all- there is to do is to hunt mid sized wandering Titans, to saying that the first season of the anime is entirely comprised of people being eaten and no story/ action or character development... #smh

I don't know if it's based on platform envy or actual dislike for anime in general/ this specific series... But it's a bit weird.

The big question was "would they nail the 3D movement" , and I guess the videos released are meant to address that.
I'd say the answer is a definite yes, at least so far.

Edit: in general I am not much for online pvp, but if they could make a versus mode (say the Survey troops vs Military Brigade), it just might be awesome.

ZhugeEX

Banned

It's the tutorial bro.

I'm sure they'll talk more about the gameplay mechanics in the future. And if they don't then you can make this post.

Environments seem kinda flat and bland but the combat looks good.

I have to admit the draw distance wasn't good and the environment being shown off here didn't have much to it. I assume this was the PS4 version as well. IIRC it's only 50% complete though so imagine this is fairly early gameplay and they spent the majority of the time nailing the mechanics.

It's the tutorial bro.

I'm sure they'll talk more about the gameplay mechanics in the future. And if they don't then you can make this post.

I have to admit the draw distance wasn't good and the environment being shown off here didn't have much to it. I assume this was the PS4 version as well. IIRC it's only 50% complete though so imagine this is fairly early gameplay and they spent the majority of the time nailing the mechanics.

I'm being very dramatic today. I need to rest. Sorry. Hahaha

The speed is the same, the only difference is the camera angle and the animation.

If the camera angle was just as close as the gif you showed, it'll show the same sense of speed.

That's what I mean. They've taken liberties to make the game actually playable but a little motion blur would go a long way in this case. I know it can't be 1:1 with the anime because then things like collision and the physics of the 3DMG's cables would come into play and make movement a nightmare.

kaiyo

Seems like you (can) float forever when your rotating left/right. Which ruins the physics of it all.

They should add a meter or something to limit the usage of it.

Mawarup

Neo Member
Never got into Attack on Titan, although I want to play this now. Alright guess its time to watch/read this series.

OmegaX

The trolling runs strong in this thread, between some considering that -all- there is to do is to hunt mid sized wandering Titans, to saying that the first season of the anime is entirely comprised of people being eaten and no story/ action or character development... #smh

There is story in the anime but it is told at a horribly slow pace that very well could have been condensed in half the number of episodes without losing anything of importance.
Each episode was like 50% exposition, 30% people being eaten, 10% action scenes, and 10% actual plot.
I liked the series, it had a lot of promise but it was awfully executed.

Top Bottom