• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My living room isn't big enough for these speakers lol. I'm able to keep them about a foot away from a back wall but unfortunately, they are really close to bookshelves and my tv stand on either side of them. Its not ideal but what can you do.

What do you guys prefer aesthetically? Grills on or off? I like grills off but i worry my cats might get a hair up their asses give them a scratch test.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
My living room isn't big enough for these speakers lol. I'm able to keep them about a foot away from a back wall but unfortunately, they are really close to bookshelves and my tv stand on either side of them. Its not ideal but what can you do.

What do you guys prefer aesthetically? Grills on or off? I like grills off but i worry my cats might get a hair up their asses give them a scratch test
Cats sure can be little assholes! 😄. I prefer the off look but if my cat was still alive I don’t think I would risk it in your situation!

giphy.gif
Side note…Did finally get the TT hooked up and went out on got my first record over the weekend. Played it today and was pretty damn shocked how good it sounds vs the CD player. Was worried about hiss/pop/crackling but only heard it once the side A ended and it was very minimal. I know I don’t have top of the line set up but now all my worries about diving into record collecting have dissolved. Family thought I was nuts for buying one but wife was impressed as well.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

What do you guys prefer aesthetically? Grills on or off? I like grills off but i worry my cats might get a hair up their asses give them a scratch test.
Grills off for me but it depends on the speakers.

giphy.gif
Side note…Did finally get the TT hooked up and went out on got my first record over the weekend. Played it today and was pretty damn shocked how good it sounds vs the CD player. Was worried about hiss/pop/crackling but only heard it once the side A ended and it was very minimal. I know I don’t have top of the line set up but now all my worries about diving into record collecting have dissolved. Family thought I was nuts for buying one but wife was impressed as well.
An anti-static brush will help with pops and clicks. I clean mine before every listen with the brush but I also have an insane amount of dog hair floating around because my Australian terrier sheds like crazy.

Grills off for me but it depends on the speakers.

An anti-static brush will help with pops and clicks. I clean mine before every listen with the brush but I also have an insane amount of dog hair floating around because my Australian terrier sheds like crazy.
Any thoughts on inner sleeves for record? Mine came with a paper sleeve that already left little white specs on the record when i pulled it out. Which are the better options to protect them?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Any thoughts on inner sleeves for record? Mine came with a paper sleeve that already left little white specs on the record when i pulled it out. Which are the better options to protect them?
I bought like 50 sleeves (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LQSFKY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 this brand seemed to be the most recommended) for $22 bucks. Seems like pretty cheap....insurance?, protection? whatever. Probably has little real value because certainly records were sold for DECADES with all sorts of paper sleeves or even just in the cardboard and I don't think they were all destroyed, but what the hey?

Ulysses 31

You can try wood glue for records with lots of pops and crackles. I did it with some I got of eBay. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I use whatever came with the record tbh. I should get the fancy anti static inner serves but I’m too cheap. I do buy outer plastic sleeves though.

I bought like 50 sleeves (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LQSFKY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 this brand seemed to be the most recommended) for $22 bucks. Seems like pretty cheap....insurance?, protection? whatever. Probably has little real value because certainly records were sold for DECADES with all sorts of paper sleeves or even just in the cardboard and I don't think they were all destroyed, but what the hey?
These seem like a good option. Just don’t want that much debris on my record every time I take it out. The paper inner sleeve just feels cheap.

jason10mm

Gold Member
These are dumb but I still want one.
Great gift for anyone. Put it in your Fish tank, Hang it from your Christmas Tree, or get a jump start on making a diorama of Shaun and Ed playing records at 3 am in “Shaun of the Dead”…

giphy.gif

Has anyone bought records using WhatNot? They gave me $15 credit for signing up and figured I could get a $30 record for half price, but is it a good way to add to your collection? Was wondering if sellers package the item well and if the records are actually in good shape 🤔. I keep hearing how scammers are infesting Discogs so trying to find the best online record buying options.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Has anyone bought records using WhatNot? They gave me $15 credit for signing up and figured I could get a $30 record for half price, but is it a good way to add to your collection? Was wondering if sellers package the item well and if the records are actually in good shape 🤔. I keep hearing how scammers are infesting Discogs so trying to find the best online record buying options.
I’ve not yet bought any used records online except through my nearest record store. I trust the guy who runs it. I’m too weary of condition to by used without seeing it first. Out of the 185 records I own, only 17 are used.

But I also tend to buy direct from the artist whenever I can. Besides that, IRL record store first, Bandcamp second, and big retailers third. IRL record store is my number.

kevm3

Absolutely still loving the sound coming from these KLH Model 5 speakers. From the pictures, they have an ugly, old school look, but in person, they blend in nicely.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
MoFi_UD1S_Van_Halen_Render_Box_Cover_1000x.jpg

Do any of you own any of the Mofi Records? Watching some videos on them and was wondering if it’s just hype or do they justify the $100 price?
Their shtick was no digital. Turns out that wasn’t exactly the whole picture.

That said, as someone who doesn’t fear digitization, I’ve read their masters are typically very well done. I’m not going to pay that premium myself unless it’s a favorite of mine.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Their shtick was no digital. Turns out that wasn’t exactly the whole picture.

That said, as someone who doesn’t fear digitization, I’ve read their masters are typically very well done. I’m not going to pay that premium myself unless it’s a favorite of mine.
Yeah, they are skewing a bit older music/genre than I like, though I'm curious about the Thriller pressing. I am kinda curious just how deep into gear you gotta go to get into the SOUND of vinyl being a true discriminator versus just the era of the recording (lower DR for more modern mixed stuff made more loud compared to a 70's/80's era mix, for example) to justify a premium for the record versus just a good streaming source and the record more for tactile feelings. I doubt I'm getting much benefit from actual vinyl given that I'm listening to what is probably crappy recorded in the first place glam rock from the 80's mostly but it's still fun.

Laptop1991

Well my new HD mp3 Surfans player that plays all the formats didn't work with my Soundcore motion boom speakers but did with my older soundbar by bluetooth, i was going to send it back disappointed when i noticed it had a line out and hooked it up to my old Technics hifi 5 speaker system that i haven't used for years as it only plays dvd's and cd's, but i couldn't part with it, wow what a difference, the sound is so much better, the Motion Boom's are relegated

Sorry if this is not welcome here but I don't know where else to ask and don't want to start my own thread.

my sony wf-1000xm3 are dead and i need new earphones. don't like the look of the wf-1000xm4 earphones. i have iphone so want to try airpods. should i get airpods 3 or airpod pro 2? as far as i can tell the only big difference is they have the little rubber tips to go in your ear, noise cancellation, and have Find My built into the case. i was going to go for the airpods pro 2 since what's an extra £40-50 if i'm going to be spending £180 on the airpod 3? the extra features might be worth it but i read the airpod pro 2 aren't as comfortable as the airpods 3. i've never really liked the rubber bits going into my ears but i'm worried that the standard airpods will be too noisy with no rubber tips or noise cancellation. i didn't really use noise cancellation a lot.... only if i was on the train or trying to sleep and drown out the bloody dogs next door barking. i do have headphones with noise cancellation so i guess i could live without it. why not just use my headphones? they are too big to stick in my bag and i feel like a clown wearing them and really don't want to wear them outside. plus they aren't water resistant and it rains a LOT here.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sorry if this is not welcome here but I don't know where else to ask and don't want to start my own thread.

my sony wf-1000xm3 are dead and i need new earphones. don't like the look of the wf-1000xm4 earphones. i have iphone so want to try airpods. should i get airpods 3 or airpod pro 2? as far as i can tell the only big difference is they have the little rubber tips to go in your ear, noise cancellation, and have Find My built into the case. i was going to go for the airpods pro 2 since what's an extra £40-50 if i'm going to be spending £180 on the airpod 3? the extra features might be worth it but i read the airpod pro 2 aren't as comfortable as the airpods 3. i've never really liked the rubber bits going into my ears but i'm worried that the standard airpods will be too noisy with no rubber tips or noise cancellation. i didn't really use noise cancellation a lot.... only if i was on the train or trying to sleep and drown out the bloody dogs next door barking. i do have headphones with noise cancellation so i guess i could live without it. why not just use my headphones? they are too big to stick in my bag and i feel like a clown wearing them and really don't want to wear them outside. plus they aren't water resistant and it rains a LOT here.
I’d personally go for the pros but both are solid choices.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

AirPods Pro v2. The noise cancellation is a game changer and fidelity is very good.

Anyone else surprised by the quality of Chinese made audio gear?
They have some really surprising gear that really cheap, but mixes it up with brands four times the price.

You can get IEMs, Wireless ANC headphones etc that are 90% as good as the top stuff, but 30% the price.
We all know that the Chinese theft of IP is off the charts, so it was only a matter of time before they started nailing some of their products.

I have been buying a number of Wireless over ear headphones from there, just from a curiosity thing, and some of the stuff is really, really good.
I have Sony and AKG sets, and I have bought some of the better Chinese brands that offer similar specs, and it's close, real close. The average person would not be able to tell the difference, and the price...

Take a dive one day, it's quite the journey, and becareful, because if you have a little OCD like me, you can get caught up buying tons of them.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
They have some really surprising gear that really cheap, but mixes it up with brands four times the price.

You can get IEMs, Wireless ANC headphones etc that are 90% as good as the top stuff, but 30% the price.
We all know that the Chinese theft of IP is off the charts, so it was only a matter of time before they started nailing some of their products.

I have been buying a number of Wireless over ear headphones from there, just from a curiosity thing, and some of the stuff is really, really good.
I have Sony and AKG sets, and I have bought some of the better Chinese brands that offer similar specs, and it's close, real close. The average person would not be able to tell the difference, and the price...

Take a dive one day, it's quite the journey, and becareful, because if you have a little OCD like me, you can get caught up buying tons of them.
Yeah Chi Fi has been surprisingly good for me. I assume IP theft is exactly why.

Reallink

In most cases there was nothing to steal as 95% of western headphones and IEM companies don't design their own drivers, they just slap their labels on models the factories in Shenzhen already produce. Once enterprising China'men in the city realized western companies were charging $600 for something that cost $6 to produce and ship, they started buying the same drivers from the same factories and sold effectively the same product at 1/8th the price.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
In most cases there was nothing to steal as 95% of western headphones and IEM companies don't design their own drivers, they just slap their labels on models the factories in Shenzhen already produce. Once enterprising China'men in the city realized western companies were charging $600 for something that cost $6 to produce and ship, they started buying the same drivers from the same factories and sold effectively the same product at 1/8th the price.
Yeah, I feel like this is true for lots of stuff. What the "major" companies hopefully bring is better QC and maybe some improved build quality around the electronics.

Just got myself some HD600 cans. Not spent much time with them yet but now I'm gonna try to build this to drive 'em as I've been teaching myself how to solder. Wish me luck....

oYewxhe.jpg

Mohonky

Nup, the HiFi industry has been extortionate since forever, you pull apart the boutique gear and it's only just the same basic shit repackaged in a nice case and some story about how the company was founded to give it some mystique.

Speakers are probably the worst offenders for this; you're paying for the craftsmanship of furniture basically.

Reallink

Nup, the HiFi industry has been extortionate since forever, you pull apart the boutique gear and it's only just the same basic shit repackaged in a nice case and some story about how the company was founded to give it some mystique.

Speakers are probably the worst offenders for this; you're paying for the craftsmanship of furniture basically.

In most cases not even that. Virtually all bookshelves under $1000 and towers under $2000 (including many far more expensive than that) are just rectangular MDF boxes with faux-woodgain stickers glued on, sharp corners, flat sides, and cheap peg holes for the grill. Literally $19 Walmart furniture. It's no secret that profit margins on many speakers can exceed 90%, which is why it's so routine to see sales 50-75% off (a price that still nets a healthy profit for both the retailers and manufacturers). Astonishingly though speakers are the least profitable Hifi product. The $1000+ Stereo amps, pre-amps, streamers, cables, and gaggles of snake oil accessories like power cable, riser blocks, and magic crystals represent 10x - 1000x returns on the BoM investment.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Care to share some links?

I likely won't buy anything but I'm interested to know what and where people are buying. I bought some cheap in ears a while back and as you say they were most of the way to really good, aside from some distortion in the top end that I just couldn't get past.

To some degree, I would say that the risk is that you don't know what you're getting until you get it, but given that so many people sell through Amazon. You can still easily return things if they're no good.

Mohonky

It
In most cases not even that. Virtually all bookshelves under $1000 and towers under $2000 (including many far more expensive than that) are just rectangular MDF boxes with faux-woodgain stickers glued on, sharp corners, flat sides, and cheap peg holes for the grill. Literally $19 Walmart furniture. It's no secret that profit margins on many speakers can exceed 90%, which is why it's so routine to see sales 50-75% off (a price that still nets a healthy profit for both the retailers and manufacturers). Astonishingly though speakers are the least profitable Hifi product. The $1000+ Stereo amps, pre-amps, streamers, cables, and gaggles of snake oil accessories like power cable, riser blocks, and magic crystals represent 10x - 1000x returns on the BoM investment.
Its funny you mention cables; for all the 'you need good cables' rhetoric, it's funny to open up speakers and look at the piss poor cables they use in the speaker and whatever monkey they trained to solder it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The extra costs come from R&D and other overheads.

I could be wrong here as I'm just a layman when it comes to audio engineering or the principals of acoustic design, but as I understand it the various transistors and components can impact the sound reproduction profile. IE, a frequency response for the same driver would vary based on electrical components. Same for the body of the speaker. Air flow as well. Audiophiles are willing to pay more for a slight difference in sound.

As an aside--My identifying with the audiophile community is less gear-oriented and much more on the music-production-appreciation side of things. I'm here for the music first and foremost. Gear is about 40% of the equation for me. Thankfully, I can spend less because of it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Robbinhood

Banned
I'm on the fence on the Audeze Maxwell headphones, someone tell me if I should splurge or save my money for something down the line.

Currently using Arctis 7P. I need wireless thats the most important thing.

I have a great 5.1 setup but when I need to game on headphones its a huge drop in quality.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm on the fence on the Audeze Maxwell headphones, someone tell me if I should splurge or save my money for something down the line.

Currently using Arctis 7P. I need wireless thats the most important thing.

I have a great 5.1 setup but when I need to game on headphones its a huge drop in quality.
Those Audeze cans are planar drivers. I would love to try that. If game audio and speech are the primary usecases, I think they would sound better but that’s only based on my experience with a pair of planar IEMs. The bass is very tamed in those but the mods and highs sound fantastic. I wonder if the same would hold true in the much larger form factor?

If you do get them, I’d love to read your thoughts on them.

Robbinhood

Banned
Those Audeze cans are planar drivers. I would love to try that. If game audio and speech are the primary usecases, I think they would sound better but that’s only based on my experience with a pair of planar IEMs. The bass is very tamed in those but the mods and highs sound fantastic. I wonder if the same would hold true in the much larger form factor?

If you do get them, I’d love to read your thoughts on them.
I've seen online videos mention recessed bass at the lower range, who knows. They are well regarded for non gaming purposes. For me its all about gaming.

Joramun

Anyone playing Diablo 4?

Do you guys enable anything other than Stereo within the game settings?

I'm testing both 7.1 and Stereo and the latter sounds better to me.

Will do further testing with other games.

Hibs

Picked up some Kali MM-6s (desktop setup) ( Lp6 v2 w/ added connectivity) But I'm still tempted to try some KEF Q150 passives.

Also got some Maxwells which I now use over my 560s. I love the 560s + G6 SBX combo. They are amazing for sound positioning, and I don't find Dolby even close to SBX. But after getting use to them In stereo, they sound super nice in Music and general gaming. People act like they don't have any imaging or something, it's just not as good as open back headphones.

But what they lack they more than make up for. The mic noise suppression feature is insane. I have an AC unit on max 4 1/2 feet away from me, and with an open mic, nobody hears anything. No more bothering friends with my loud ass keyboard. I always hated using push to talk and now I'm golden.

Anyone playing Diablo 4?

Do you guys enable anything other than Stereo within the game settings?

I'm testing both 7.1 and Stereo and the latter sounds better to me.

Will do further testing with other games.

Depends, what are you using? Headphones, use stereo unless they have a 3D option, then see if you like that. If you're using a spatial option (Dolby, DTS:X ) then use 5.1/7.1 setting in-game.

Joramun

Depends, what are you using? Headphones, use stereo unless they have a 3D option, then see if you like that. If you're using a spatial option (Dolby, DTS:X ) then use 5.1/7.1 setting in-game.
Yeah, I'm using headphones with no 3D option. Stereo mode definitely sounds better.

Top Bottom