• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have recently realised that my current weakest audio link is the source. Spotify is 320kbps, CD quality is 1,411kbps, Apple Music over Airplay 2 is max 2,304kbps, so not high res lossless.

Seems that Tidal is the best I can have at the moment, at 9,216kbps. It does sound good.

Wdgxhq1.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Picked up a few used records today whilst I was in town. Sister Sledge's 'We Are Family' and Heart's 'Little Queen'. Fingers crossed both are good pressings. The outer sleeves have some wear and tear but the records themselves looked really good quality.

Those older pressings can sound so good.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have recently realised that my current weakest audio link is the source. Spotify is 320kbps, CD quality is 1,411kbps, Apple Music over Airplay 2 is max 2,304kbps, so not high res lossless.

Seems that Tidal is the best I can have at the moment, at 9,216kbps. It does sound good.

Wdgxhq1.jpg
Apple Music streams lossless and Hi-Res, but you can't use it wirelessly. I am a very satisfied customer.

I found a repair shop.

Ex- military equipment repair man/technician on retirement which opened HiFi repair shop- he opens up switches, potentiometers and whatnot.

He's rebuilding my friends vintage Rotel amp, which has damaged power transistors from scratch. On a different power transistors- since old ones are not available, even through new old stock.

My friend recommendation through my HiFi group in Poland.

Since it's a bit of a drive there, I dropped off my Yamaha amplifier for repairs and Hitachi for clean up and check up.

When I visited his repair shop I was greeted with at least two oscilloscopes and I think a dummy load equipment. Niiice.

My friend when he visited his shop earlier saw a hi-end Marantz amp on his work bench. And it looked like all the PCBs were damaged due to some kind of flooding.

And he was cleaning that up and recapping the amp.

Will throw an update, if the guy is legit I'm recapping my Akai GX-225D next. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Shtef

Question, currently i have 5.0 surround setup. I will be moving to a new apartment next month where i dont have space to put the rear speakers.

Should i just do stereo setup or stereo with center speaker? I will be using it for movies and xbox.

Mohonky

Question, currently i have 5.0 surround setup. I will be moving to a new apartment next month where i dont have space to put the rear speakers.

Should i just do stereo setup or stereo with center speaker? I will be using it for movies and xbox.
Honestly I would probably just go 2.1

I recently did this myself as I was never using the full system in the theatre room anymore, so I just moved the mains and the sub to where I am gaming / watching tv more. And lack the room.

Update.

All units repaired.

Not much too do with Hitachi HA-330, its absolute simple unit. Tank. General potentiometers cleaning, measurements to see if it holds all of the service manual values and if not, set them accordingly - easy job with proper equipment. All caps are apparently in pretty good condition.

Yamaha A-960II lots of work, slide style potentiometers were broken. Balance and Treble- I probably had trebles boosted only in one channel at one point and never knew, he did catch it up with measuring equipment.

The tech first thought maybe he will put new ones in, no replacement on the market. He then proceed to open them up since it was the only option, glued the slider plastic holders thingies inside and bend in some contact stuff - apparently the slider just dislodged inside and made a mess.

Volume ALPS potentiometer cleaning and lubrication. It has the biggest volume pot I have ever seen in any amp so far with my own eyes. 4- part potentiometer.

I had two broken isostat type switches Main Direct (it bypasess the EQ correction board- the so called by me puristic mode and apparently if its not a PR talk it makes signal path a lot shorter) and I had one isostat type of switch for some filter, he did repair it also. I had one "tech" say to me in my town it's unrepairable - I guess it is repairable since its repaired :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Measurements and checking how it behaves, it apparently holds all of the service manual values now after setting them in. The tech measured it works in AB class. Something which I suspected but was never confirmed- nor in any manuals or brochures and so far on any forums 100%.

AB class means it works in A class (like tube amps) in low wattage usage to one or five watts for example and in B class lets say from 5wpc to 100/120wpc it can push. So it may produce a bit more heat at low volumes than a B class amp for sure.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What are you guys using for desktop use? I'm looking to upgrade my gaming PC speakers. I've had the Logitech z623 set forever. I was thinking of maybe getting the kanto yu6 speakers?

What are you guys using for desktop use? I'm looking to upgrade my gaming PC speakers. I've had the Logitech z623 set forever. I was thinking of maybe getting the kanto yu6 speakers?
Look up Edifier, the most popular brand lately in Poland. Active PC speakers, which means they have integrated amplifier or bluetooth models - there are a bunch of different models. Class D amplifier though but dunno if this will be audible on PC speakers. Active is always better than passive if you don't wanna invest a lot of money on separate amplifier.

My friend also uses AudioEngine PC active speakers and sub with those to fairly good extent.

He has a whole set- sub is also from AE. And I know it sounds really good for it's size. Look up it up if you are interested.

He also uses AudioEngine D1 dac with those and it's build fairly premium. All the inputs look and feel really good compared to my NuForce uDAC-3.

Although he has an older model of dac, with newer model it looks like they cut some corners - mind you.

Edifier these I haven't have heard. Just from the comments they had fairly good opinions. But I won't vouch for them. You might wanna read about them yourself and if you could listen to them first maybe give it a try. They look pretty solid - but it's just impression from pictures.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Here's my current set-up. Only thing I feel I am missing is a small subwoofer.

Computer -> Schiit Modi 3 DAC -> Audioengine N22 Amplifier -> Kef Q150 passive speakers

My DAC routes to my Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp, which goes passive if no headphone is connected. I prefer the headphone output on my Magni to that on the N22.

Not that it matters all that much but I went with the Soundrise Pro 9 for speaker stands. I like that I can still utilize the space beneath the speakers and it gets them to ear height so everything sounds incredible.

Last edited:

Ownage

Amateur newbie here who likes audiophile-quality sound. I have a pair of Shure 846s that are amazing earbuds. But when I'm working in environments where I can wear big fatty cans, I'd love something wired of similar audio quality that bumps, is comfortable, won't make my ears sweat and won't be more than $500. It'll need a 3.5mm jack. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Here's my current set-up. Only thing I feel I am missing is a small subwoofer.

Computer -> Schiit Modi 3 DAC -> Audioengine N22 Amplifier -> Kef Q150 passive speakers

My DAC routes to my Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp, which goes passive if no headphone is connected. I prefer the headphone output on my Magni to that on the N22.

Not that it matters all that much but I went with the Soundrise Pro 9 for speaker stands. I like that I can still utilize the space beneath the speakers and it gets them to ear height so everything sounds incredible.
How is Modi 3 DAC? I've been thinking about upgrading to it from my NuForce uDAC-3.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yamaha HS8 and HS8S together with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. And all sorts of headphones in between.

I'm very satisfied with the Yamaha speakers. Fairly neutral in sound and just presenting what the artist had in mind. I often think about upgrading them since i use them for nearly a decade but they make me smile each day and work flawless.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How is Modi 3 DAC? I've been thinking about upgrading to it from my NuForce uDAC-3.
It’s been great here. Absolutely no complaints. Not sure how the pricing works overseas, but in the US it’s one of the best budget DACs I’ve heard. Granted I’ve only heard budget dacs.

Flat / neutral response and around $120 is hard to beat. Same ballpark as yours from what I saw on a quick search. Probably a side grade more than an upgrade.

Last edited:
It’s been great here. Absolutely no complaints. Not sure how the pricing works overseas, but in the US it’s one of the best budget DACs I’ve heard. Granted I’ve only heard budget dacs.

Flat / neutral response and around $120 is hard to beat. Same ballpark as yours from what I saw on a quick search. Probably a side grade more than an upgrade.
Hmm, then dunno. Maybe used NuForce DAC-80 it has internal power supply.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey audio-GAF, what are the best bluetooth earphones (not headphones!) that I can get for around $100 / £100? Preferably less, but that's about the top end of my budget.

Many thanks.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey audio-GAF, what are the best bluetooth earphones (not headphones!) that I can get for around $100 / £100? Preferably less, but that's about the top end of my budget.

Many thanks.
AFxMCf7Ms5.png

(But seriously, I have no idea for $100.)

German vintage Grundig BOX 8000 monitors with 16cm woofers in closed enclosure and legendary NAD 3020 amplifier.

Grundig are 4 ohms monitors so they play solo. No Saba speakers. Also NAD is a single system amp. So only one set of speakers may be plugged in.

1wpc.

Friend lend me those for testing along with the amps. Since I will pick up my amps two weeks from now. And I was dying to listen on something, let along wait two more weeks. And he agreed.

CD player is for me its a freebie gift from a friend to jump start my CD listening journey since I mentioned I want to give it a try. Warm analog sound. Just ordered some CDs 🤞.

Right speaker mid soft dome needs some care. Still 1wpc. Sax sounds insane. Really nice soft domes on those.

I'm impressed by the sound those little boxes produce and... In closed enclosure.

I guess even small speakers can play fairly well. Since I kinda mentioned vintage German hifi a while back. I thought I would share those!

Last edited:

amigastar

Just bought an AKG K240 Studio headphone for my Dad.
After listening to them they really sound good and i paid only 70 bucks for them.
Of course they are not as good as my Hifiman HE-500 but those cost a lot more.
I can only recommend it to people who wanna step into audiophile territory for only 70 Euros. And they look beautiful and very sturdy.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got a somewhat decent budget setup, stuff I got ages ago.

DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+
Amp: Schiit Asgard
Headphones: Gradio SR325i (needs metal gimbals and rewire), Mr Speakers Mad Dog (+Leather ALPHA Pads & ComfortStrap)
Speakers: Swan M200 MkII

I could afford better these days but I'm not as into it as I was. It's not even set up right now. I'd need to reconfigure my electrical situation to accommodate it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got a somewhat decent budget setup, stuff I got ages ago.

DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+
Amp: Schiit Asgard
Headphones: Gradio SR325i (needs metal gimbals and rewire), Mr Speakers Mad Dog (+Leather ALPHA Pads & ComfortStrap)
Speakers: Swan M200 MkII

I could afford better these days but I'm not as into it as I was. It's not even set up right now. I'd need to reconfigure my electrical situation to accommodate it.
I'm a bad audiophile as well. Enjoyment of the music is always more important than the sound quality to me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hey, i get you. There's no real need for a DAC but there is no excuse for a nice cheap amp and good headphones (especially if they don't cost a fortune)
For 180 bucks you can get nice audiophile hp and amp.
Oh yeah, I say this as a guy with his close-enough-to-dream-set-up already :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So you have a setup? What do you have?
Living room:
- Marantz NR1200 amp -> Kef R500 speakers
- AT LP120 record player -> Nagaoka MP110 / AT VM540ML -> Schiit Loki Mini+

Office:
- M2 Mac Mini -> Schiit Modi 3+ DAC -> Audioengine N22 amp -> Kef Q150 speakers
- Magni headphone amp -> Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro Overear headphones / SalNotes Dioko x Crincle Planar IEMs / KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs

The only upgrades I've my eye on would be a better turntable and a separate phono stage. I've thought about modding the LP120 but I think I'd rather keep it in decent condition if I decide sell it or gift it to a family member or friend.

These days most of my critical listening is done in my office, despite my living room having better frequency response. For whatever reason I feel like I get better imaging and sound staging at close range at my desk vs the couch being 6ft+ away in the living room.

amigastar

Living room:
- Marantz NR1200 amp -> Kef R500 speakers
- AT LP120 record player -> Nagaoka MP110 / AT VM540ML -> Schiit Loki Mini+

Office:
- M2 Mac Mini -> Schiit Modi 3+ DAC -> Audioengine N22 amp -> Kef Q150 speakers
- Magni headphone amp -> Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro Overear headphones / SalNotes Dioko x Crincle Planar IEMs / KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs

The only upgrades I've my eye on would be a better turntable and a separate phono stage. I've thought about modding the LP120 but I think I'd rather keep it in decent condition if I decide sell it or gift it to a family member or friend.

These days most of my critical listening is done in my office, despite my living room having better frequency response. For whatever reason I feel like I get better imaging and sound staging at close range at my desk vs the couch being 6ft+ away in the living room.
Sweet
high-five.gif

I have:
Mojo 2 DAC - Schiit Magni amp - Hifiman HE-500 hp - Marantz amp - Wharfedale Speakers

Last edited:

amigastar

I really, really want to listen to one of these. I really love the look and reviews seem stellar.

My mobile dac/amp is the FiiO e10k and I've not been very impressed with it.
It's a great DAC but like i've said a DAC is not the most important device. You get more/different out of better headphones than DACs. But i like him very much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm a bad audiophile as well. Enjoyment of the music is always more important than the sound quality to me.
Well part of it for me is I live in Phoenix now so for much of the year audio equipment just makes it hot af in here and I'll usually want to have a fan on so there goes sound purity anyways. Tho I did flex the Sawns a few weeks ago and that was a nice sound bath.

Ditched all of my other amps- Hitachi is at my brothers he's rocking a really small vintage speakers on it, Yammie is repaired and sold to new owner which is happy and I'm fully switched to vintage Kenwood sound.

It blows my mind how good supposedly low end Kenny can sound. Entry level amp from 1976. My main set which I am quite happy with.

Decided to go with simpler and smaller amp and results are superb around 17 to 18 maybe 19 caps only.

Really good details plus not a shabby low end.

I don't feel like changing stuff at all. I achieved my perfect set up :messenger_sunglasses: .

Got a lot into CDs lately because of my vintage CD player- old high quality 16 bit Burr-Brown DAC inside. I ordered my first Japanese CD release with OBI, lots of changes and fun with audio sources. Streaming, CDs, Vinyl.

I gave my old turntable to my brother. I think he will get the Shure cart too. Nagaoka cartridge just works better on my new tt.

He gave me his old bass guitar in exchange for tt.

Last edited:

Nagaoka MP-110 is my price-to-point sweet spot.

Dual direct drive turntable pushes Nagaoka much harder than my belt drive could. It's audible especially on Kenny since it has more detail than my previous amps.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/ka-3500.shtml Kenny reviews :messenger_sunglasses: .

Loudness turned on only because its pretty late. And I wanted a nice punchy sound at low volume levels. Mic decided to pick up more bass than trebles which sucks. But actually it's nice full detailed sound all-round.

It's noise to signal ratio is pretty good! It feels like there isn't any noise in loudspeakers even with volume knob turned on pretty high and without signal.

Power supply is dead quiet. I mean... Like I put my ear near the the front panel and... I haven't have heard any noise whatsoever.

All the amps I have ever had, gave power supply noise like pretty serious hum or low hum. And here it's dead quiet.

It's 40wpc but it pushes way above it's weight with it's 280 watts power supply. I have read in the manual it can push 170wpc dynamic power at 4 ohms. Dunno how punchy it is at 8 ohms because manual never states it but... It feels like a larger amp for sure. No heat issues since its class B amp.

Manual actually states it has bandwidth of 10Hz to 40kHZ but the hifiengine cuts it off at 20Hz to 20kHz (I believe some filters are at play here and since going up to 40kHz without filters involved in amp can get a lot of issues of different natures even if we don't hear them).

THD of 0.2% is stated at full rated power. Haven't really measured any stuff but going by ear and manual statements it's more of a 0.06% at normal volume levels. Some people even measured lower THD than 0.06% at 35wpc.

I had one rotten apple adventure with Kenwood amp back in the day. I had KA-5700 a while back and it wasn't a really good amp. Gave me a huge meh towards Kenwood amps. Glad I tried KA-3500 because it's a 180 degrees for sure on my opinion towards this brand.

The amp does not have protection circuit but... On power on and power off there is no woofer movement or thumps.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Vinyl people. Anyone care to sound off on the Fluance RT-25N vs. Project Debut Carbon Evo? Personal impressions, pros/cons/comparisons, etc. Looking to probably get one around Christmas this year.

I'm more drawn to the looks and overall feature set of the Fluance (already have their bookshelf speakers), but I'm given pause to their very entry level aluminum tone arm. But so many other good things- Acrylic platter, nice heavy plinth, great cartridge (and yes, I prefer the Nagaoka MP110 to the Ortofon Blue, and yes I know the Blue presents better "value" being a more expensive cart on a $500 turntable package, but my personal sound preference is for something more balanced and warm, which they say the MP110 has in spades.

But then you have the Evo which is $100 more with the Carbon fiber tone arm, which is a big step up even if you have to sacrifice the acrylic platter (unless you spend another $150 down the road to upgrade to acrylic).

I just keep going back and forth on these.. Any thoughts?

After trying out the Hifiman HE-400se i can say for 140 bucks you get about 80-90 percent of performance level of the HE-500 which cost me 500 bucks. Really, really a great headphone.
I'm more of vintage amp+loudspeakers kind of guy. But I still use headphones from time to time. Late at night or while gaming.

Haven't have really tried out any Hifiman products but maybe if my Ultrasone HFI-580 will crap out I will give them a listen. I still think they fair pretty well, had similar opinion while comparing them with much much more expensive Ultasone's Pro 900i.

They still had pretty amazing bass performance, obviously tonned down a bit, similar sound signature and presence because they still used S-Logic patent. And they cost a fraction of price of Pro 900s.

Last edited:
Vinyl people. Anyone care to sound off on the Fluance RT-25N vs. Project Debut Carbon Evo? Personal impressions, pros/cons/comparisons, etc. Looking to probably get one around Christmas this year.

I'm more drawn to the looks and overall feature set of the Fluance (already have their bookshelf speakers), but I'm given pause to their very entry level aluminum tone arm. But so many other good things- Acrylic platter, nice heavy plinth, great cartridge (and yes, I prefer the Nagaoka MP110 to the Ortofon Blue, and yes I know the Blue presents better "value" being a more expensive cart on a $500 turntable package, but my personal sound preference is for something more balanced and warm, which they say the MP110 has in spades.

But then you have the Evo which is $100 more with the Carbon fiber tone arm, which is a big step up even if you have to sacrifice the acrylic platter (unless you spend another $150 down the road to upgrade to acrylic).

I do use MP110 and I agree its amazing cartridge. My favorite for sure.

Would stay away from low mass arms on any TT.

I think Nagaoka needs at least mid mass arm to properly spread its "wings" so to say.

I can set pressure up to 3g so 1.5 to 2g you need to enjoy proper stylus pressure on Nagaoka is there for sure.

Lots of gimbal bearings and there's also VTA setting on my vintage direct drive Dual turntable. And from what I've read it's not a low mass arm, not a heavy weight champ, but pretty nice mid mass arm.

There's a lot of talking on Polish side of forums on cartridge compliance with arm and whatnot. From what I've read it's all about stiffness of suspension on styli and arm's mass. Haven't really calculated anything I just thought it will sound good and I can set proper stylus pressure.

And yeah it checks out.

Edit: Don't really know all of these new turntables at all. Even my old belt driven Dual turntable I think had better specs than most new turntables so I never did switch to "new is always better". And I still upgraded but stayed on a vintage table.

But a few of new tables did catch my attention. Mainly MOFI turntables and there was this new brand which used old Dual designs. I need to freshen my memory a bit since I have forgotten the name of this brand.

Edit2: check out Rekkord Audio M-500 - old Dual designs with gimbal bearings in arm and subchassis in new turntable.

Other than that Project turntables nor Fluance or anything has caught my attention becase of wow and fluter specs or huge speed drifting.

Yeah, just checked specs of Project Debut Carbon Evo on their site

Speed variance
33: ±0.50% 45: ±0.60%
Wow and flutter
33: ±0.17% 45: ±0.15%

I think I looked at the same table a while back. Measured my old cheapo Dual belt driven table and it measured someting like 0.01% speed variance and 0.10% wow and flutter... So yeah. I never switched to new table after that.

Upgraded to another vintage Dual with direct drive. For a fraction of price of Project like 1/3 of a price and I have 0.05% wow and no speed drift on direct drive...

Rega Planars apparently sound pretty good with Nagaoka for sure. Good compliance.

But I saw speed drift graph a while back an low to medium priced models had awful specs too.

My friend confirmes Regas are good but only pretty high models. Low and mid ones will have specs similar to Debut Carbon Evo.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I've not used either but I was somewhat eyeing the Carbon. ThatPolishGuy ThatPolishGuy gave me some good info like he posted above. I wound leaning toward the Mofi Studiodeck: https://www.mofielectronics.com/products/mofi-electronics-studiodeck-turntable

I wound up not upgrading at all but I'm still partial to the Mofi.

Yeah with new tables from what I've seen, you have to spent much more to have a good turntable. All the low or mid offerings just have one spec good and another bad. You either get a pretty decent arm and bad speed variation. Or pay more and get pretty decent arm and good speed variation. Or pay premium and get a monster but who has the cash for that.

Vintage turntables can be bought a bit cheaper and have proper specs- and at least decent arms if you won't buy any low mass arm model by mistake.

My friend lately bought old vintage Sony turntable and it has beaten his Dual 704 and was in the realm of hiend Regas. I have to google the exact model. But those are sought after and price may be high for a vintage tables, mind you.

Last edited:
KqauxTh.jpg

Sony PS-X65

Its this table. Apparently it's awesome but without proper technician it can be troublesome. If someone can grab a serviced unit. It will probably blow everything out of the water.

Arm reminds me of Thorens TD 403DD. It looks like it's in major league.

That being said. Apparently it costs quite a lot of money and is sought after and needs to be properly serviced so that's a bummer.

Still I think you can buy it cheaper than Project or Mofi Studiodeck.

Sony is crystal locked direct drive. So I'm assuming it uses quartz lock to dead lock perfect speed with 0% deviation and that arm suggests it's up there with new hiend Regas for sure. Not too shabby design too.

32cm aluminium die cast platter, so no acrylic cheapo stuff.

If I ever want to upgrade from my Dual 704 DD, this will be under consideration. But for now I will take my German tankerish build over loosing time and money on repairs.

It works with Nagaoka really well so no pressure here.

And I generally tend to choose simpler amps and tables now - so my audio equipment will be less prone to failure.

If I would think this way about modern table I would probably lean more towards Mofi Studiodeck, Thorens 403DD or Rekkord Audio M500.

If M500 handles Ortofon 2M Blue, it generally should handle MP-110 - but it's described as ULM arm, mind you. Wow and flutter seems lower than on Mofi Studiodeck though.

Huh, Rekkord Audio has set up distribution in USA, it seems.

Last edited:
MP-110 at 1.8g on Dual 704.

It's by no means an heavy arm but it just works. Captured some look at the gimbal bearings, VTA setting control, antiskating and counter weight with anti-resonance mechanism on my arm for closer look. Doesn't look that heavy but doesn't look too light either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom