• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm3

IIRC you have a Plinius class A right? That's a nightmare scenario for me...get a huge ass amp shipped to get it fixed. It sounds like some of the capacitors might have quit playing nice. See if you have any local audio techs around you, and may be get a friend to help you just drive it there.

As for the DAC, the solid state devices apparently take a long ass time to burn-in. I'd say, let it run some random music for a few days and then do some critical listening.
But I would think the sound will normalize once everything is burned in...plus are you listening using headphones now?

But anyway, if you wanna switch it, you may also wanna try Eastern Electric:
http://www.eeaudio.com/

I can vouch for his equipment, I use the phono preamp, and it's amazing. The top of the line DAC is a tube/SS design, you can switch output stage depending on what you like. And the Junior is SS only, because most users ended up liking the SS sound more and they were all defeating the tube stage of the DAC Supreme, so the guy just decided to design a pure SS DAC, for a cheaper price.

Check out the reviews, his stuff is very impressive sounding.

Here is the US dealer website:
http://www.morningstaraudio.com/

Thanks for the recommendation. Not a bad price on those units at all. Are you done with the upgrade chain or are you still on the upgrade path?

Thank God that the DAC is sounding much better. At first, it had a somewhat thin, slightly dryish sound coupled with a really detailed, crispy treble. It's still very detailed, but everything is much better integrated and that crisipiness is gone. There is more smoothness now as opposed to what sounded like turning the treble up high on an equalizer. Much more pleasing sound. Supposedly this sounds a lot better after a week of burn-in, so I'm very interested in seeing how the sound changes further. I was seriously considering returning this, but now I'll let it stick around and see how the changes progress.

nitewulf

Thanks for the recommendation. Not a bad price on those units at all. Are you done with the upgrade chain or are you still on the upgrade path?
Well I wasn't planning an upgrade, it's when the tube preamp started acting up, I just got fed up with it. As a replacement, I was definitely looking at gear that were a step above though, so in a way I guess I was looking to upgrade. I think I may sell off the tube preamp eventually, as it'd just be a waste and someone else can enjoy it.

What I know is that an Ayre power amp would possibly be a lot better than my McIntosh, but I just love the way it looks, and frankly I don't know what I'm missing since I haven't auditioned an all Ayre system with my speakers...so I am ok with it for now! However, my local dealer offered me a very good price on an Ayre integrated amplifier...so eventually I may sell off everything and get Ayre's highest end integrated amp...it'd be a very minimal system at that point but I'm sure will sound amazing.
Ayre_AX5_20.jpg
I'll keep my tube phono amp for now, as I love it, and the Perfectwave also sounds amazing, and I can't really differentiate between high res files and DSD, so not sure if I need to upgrade the DAC. But you never know, DACs improved a lot in the last 5 years, so I may replace it as well.

Just for curiosity I may look into different speakers as well. But none of these upgrades are planned for now.

kevm3

Well I wasn't planning an upgrade, it's when the tube preamp started acting up, I just got fed up with it. As a replacement, I was definitely looking at gear that were a step above though, so in a way I guess I was looking to upgrade. I think I may sell off the tube preamp eventually, as it'd just be a waste and someone else can enjoy it.

What I know is that an Ayre power amp would possibly be a lot better than my McIntosh, but I just love the way it looks, and frankly I don't know what I'm missing since I haven't auditioned an all Ayre system with my speakers...so I am ok with it for now! However, my local dealer offered me a very good price on an Ayre integrated amplifier...so eventually I may sell off everything and get Ayre's highest end integrated amp...it'd be a very minimal system at that point but I'm sure will sound amazing.

I'll keep my tube phono amp for now, as I love it, and the Perfectwave also sounds amazing, and I can't really differentiate between high res files and DSD, so not sure if I need to upgrade the DAC. But you never know, DACs improved a lot in the last 5 years, so I may replace it as well.

Just for curiosity I may look into different speakers as well. But none of these upgrades are planned for now.

That does look really nice. With the DAC you have, I don't there's really any super significant upgrade you can do... maybe only something if you want slightly more detail or a different tonal shift, but you'll probably have to pay an arm and leg for it.

These LCD headphones have the perfect sound quality for my headphones. If I had these in speaker form, I'd be in heaven. I wonder how my current speakers would sounds with the new DAC in the setup. I really need to either get my amp repaired or upgrade. I might end up with an LSA statement integrated amp for my speaker since they are going for so cheap for what they originally cost. The only other audio item I'm curious about is the LCD-4.

I've pretty nailed down the kind of sound I like. Slightly laid back and smooth, but not overly so, with bite when needed. Can't stand super fast, aggressive sound and I can't stand overly laid back and polite. The sound has to be on the warmer side of the scale, but not overly so. There also has to be the appropriate amount of body/weight to the sound. Tone and body are more important than hearing every little detail. Lean, bright sound with overly crisp detail will have me going the other way. I'm finally at the point again where I can listen to the music without being agitated about something or the other. I'm finally getting 'gorgeous sound' at times from this setup. If this Yggdrasil continues to settle in, I think I'm going to skip out on playing with other DACs. It was sounding bright at times to me, but right now it's sounding great. Smooth, but not overly so and that harshness seems to have rounded off a bit.

kevm3

Also, if you're looking to save a lot of money, check out audiogon or different audio message boards for sale section. Great way to save a ton of money. hifishark.com is an excellent site.

nitewulf

I've pretty nailed down the kind of sound I like. Slightly laid back and smooth, but not overly so, with bite when needed. Can't stand super fast, aggressive sound and I can't stand overly laid back and polite. The sound has to be on the warmer side of the scale, but not overly so. There also has to be the appropriate amount of body/weight to the sound. Tone and body are more important than hearing every little detail. Lean, bright sound with overly crisp detail will have me going the other way. I'm finally at the point again where I can listen to the music without being agitated about something or the other. I'm finally getting 'gorgeous sound' at times from this setup. If this Yggdrasil continues to settle in, I think I'm going to skip out on playing with other DACs. It was sounding bright at times to me, but right now it's sounding great. Smooth, but not overly so and that harshness seems to have rounded off a bit.
That's pretty much what I like as well, I like the dynamics and rhythm, what's called PRAT, detailed, as in transparent with a hint of warmth. Overly analytical gear sounds very sterile to me, they are impressive at first like whoa...listen to that! But get pretty old soon. I also like a nice, wide sound stage, but that has a lot to do with the total system, room and speaker placement as well.

Also, if you're looking to save a lot of money, check out audiogon or different audio message boards for sale section. Great way to save a ton of money. hifishark.com is an excellent site.

Yeah, I'm a huge proponent of buying used, in fact you wouldn't have to go through this burn in period for example. But Ayre's higher end stuff usually don't come up for sale. But when I'm ready, I'll look at used sales first.

I'll bite. I have a pair of KRK Rockit 5 and an Avid Mbox Mini 3. This was the setup I used when switching from analog to digital. I have considered selling it, due to how I mainly use it when editing videos and searching for music. Wondered how they stacked up in the Audiophile world.

kevm3

I'll bite. I have a pair of KRK Rockit 5 and an Avid Mbox Mini 3. This was the setup I used when switching from analog to digital. I have considered selling it, due to how I mainly use it when editing videos and searching for music. Wondered how they stacked up in the Audiophile world.

Really comes down to 'how much do you like the sound?' Considering they have speakers that cost a million dollars, if you have the money, they have audio marketers ready to take it from you.

kevm3

That's pretty much what I like as well, I like the dynamics and rhythm, what's called PRAT, detailed, as in transparent with a hint of warmth. Overly analytical gear sounds very sterile to me, they are impressive at first like whoa...listen to that! But get pretty old soon. I also like a nice, wide sound stage, but that has a lot to do with the total system, room and speaker placement as well.

Yeah, I'm a huge proponent of buying used, in fact you wouldn't have to go through this burn in period for example. But Ayre's higher end stuff usually don't come up for sale. But when I'm ready, I'll look at used sales first.

I'm really glad I stuck with the Yggdrasil. If it calms just a tad more, then I'm at the sound I want. Gorgeous sound with the LCD headphones. If you ever get a pair of headphones, definitely get an LCD 3 for a more laid back sound or an LCD x for a more visceral approach.

kevm3

Anyone has any impression of the new Schitt Jotunheim with the DAC module?

$500 is a really attractive price if the DAC module is a little bit more than decent.

Haven't heard that particular unit, but is your main goal getting an integrated for around $500?

Trojan X

Banned
Pretty much anything by:

BoseLogo.jpg

Easily the best sound company at the best price.

I can never agree to Bose. Yes, they are great, great at making noise. Lots of noise. In terms of quality, I don't see them for that but I do see them for anything involving outside.

nitewulf

If you ever get a pair of headphones, definitely get an LCD 3 for a more laid back sound or an LCD x for a more visceral approach.
I'll keep that in mind, actually just bought a high res audio player for the subway commute as well as for the car...and I currently use IEMs which are great but if I get the itch to switch it up in the future, who knows.

Yeah, with XLR outputs for my pair of Genelecs.

This would be almost perfect for you, but doesn't have XLR outputs.
https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amp

Schiit does make good products though. You can give it a try, I think you can return it if you don't like it.

You could check out something like Teak:
http://hifiheaven.net/shop/TEAC-AX-...q8AlpG0tAGsWGehFvHgR3U7k_RLjA3NBZuBoC_OLw_wcB

They make good, affordable products under the Teak brand. And extremely good high end products under their Esoteric brand. So essentially they know their shit.

Akronis

Anyone has any impression of the new Schitt Jotunheim with the DAC module?

$500 is a really attractive price if the DAC module is a little bit more than decent.

Bought one. Love it. DAC is definitely the weaker component of the two as it was clearly designed as an amp first.

I don't really have super crazy sensitive ears though, so I haven't noticed anything with the 4-5 pairs of headphones I've used with it. It'd be a good buy if you want to replace a separate amp and DAC into one box.

Another option would be the O2+ODAC.

kevm3

Wow, it's amazing how much of the experience I was missing out on by not going balanced. These headphones sound completely new. I went to guitar center and got a couple of cheap XLR cables. I had no idea I was missing out on all of this. Using single-ended with balanced equipment = missing out on a ton.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow, it's amazing how much of the experience I was missing out on by not going balanced. These headphones sound completely new. I went to guitar center and got a couple of cheap XLR cables. I had no idea I was missing out on all of this. Using single-ended with balanced equipment = missing out on a ton.
What does this even mean? Hou got a balanced xlr for headphones?

Xlr isn't some magic that will make anything sound better unless you have extremely long cable runs.

What's your setup? Headphones, amp/dac, source?

ty_hot

For sure it's not audiophile but I have a Bluedio BS-3 connected to my monitor (3.5mm standard cable) and the sound quality is very good. But it sound a lot better (and more powerful) when connected via bluetooth (phone, because the PS4 just can't do such thing).

But yeah, the audio is great enough for me for that price.

kevm3

What does this even mean? Hou got a balanced xlr for headphones?

Xlr isn't some magic that will make anything sound better unless you have extremely long cable runs.

Xlr isn't magic in general, but for my setup, it was. xlr from my dac to amp sounds way better than single ended.

reKon

Banned
I'm still using pro media 2.1's and just have theme hooked up to my TV. They are great for gaming/films, but they can be too boomy for some of the hip-hop I listen to. I also have to go up the TV to control the volume when using the PS4 (I also have my media PC hooked up to my TV so I can controll the volume with my keyboard. I read up on the different Sonos speakers and they seem very versatile in terms of wireless audio and expanding/controlling music.

I know this is a thread about PC speakers, but anyone have experience with the Sonos wireless speakers and subwoofer?

nitewulf

yep. my digital front end is effectively noise free. and it matters cause the quite passages sound ridiculously good, and get all the micro details.

nitewulf

I know this is a thread about PC speakers, but anyone have experience with the Sonos wireless speakers and subwoofer?

This is effectively a thread for audiophile quality stereo setups...it began as a PC speaker topic, long ago. I don't have experience with those particular speakers, but there are many, very good monitors or stand mounts that sound great. If wireless is a must I'm sure someone has experience and can chime in.

reKon

Banned
I think I'm looking for the following:

1) Speakers and/or subwoofers with a tighter bass than the my pro media 2.1, but still powerful and hard hitting (I think I would have to invest in a good woofer for this).

2) Ability to connect them directly to my TV where to handle the audio output, but at the same time be able to stream to them though bluetooth. I would be using this for watching films and gaming as well, but music performance is the most important.

3) Versatility in terms buying more speakers down the road.

4) And of course, having clean sounding audio.

My budget is $200-$400 for now, but this is something I would like build on over the next couple years. Looking for good back for buck that's an upgrade over my promedia 2.1.

I was doing some quick searching and I found what seems to be like some good choices:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015U623GW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7J534G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PAWJYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EWCUK1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kvik

You could check out something like Teak:
http://hifiheaven.net/shop/TEAC-AX-...q8AlpG0tAGsWGehFvHgR3U7k_RLjA3NBZuBoC_OLw_wcB

They make good, affordable products under the Teak brand. And extremely good high end products under their Esoteric brand. So essentially they know their shit.

Thanks for the recommendation. This unit actually looks good. I like the analog feel of it. Hopefully there's a store with a demo unit I can listen to in my city.

Edit: Actually, upon closer inspection that was a preamp with XLR in, not out. :-\ But, I went to TEAC's website and found this: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-503/, but since it supports DSD, I very much doubt that the price will still be >= $500.

Why an integrated, don't you need merely a pre?

I don't have a DAC yet for my PC setup. Since my desk setup is space-limited, I'd prefer an integrated unit.

Bought one. Love it. DAC is definitely the weaker component of the two as it was clearly designed as an amp first.

I don't really have super crazy sensitive ears though, so I haven't noticed anything with the 4-5 pairs of headphones I've used with it. It'd be a good buy if you want to replace a separate amp and DAC into one box.

Another option would be the O2+ODAC.

How would you describe the sound? I don't mind a slightly "warmer" sound although I prefer a more "accurate" (almost clinical) sound. Part of the reason why I like Sennheisers/Genelecs.

nitewulf

I don't have a DAC yet for my PC setup. Since my desk setup is space-limited, I'd prefer an integrated unit.

Are your Genelecs active speakers? Meaning are they powered? Then you don't need an integrated, all you need is a DAC/Pre-amp.

There are many options for you, only issue being XLR outs are usually found on higher priced units.

This Teak UD-301 has XLR out, and it's a dual mono DSD DAC.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9HZ5QW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then there's this, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, this has XLR out and they are a good audio company.
https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-plus-24192-dac

HiResDes

How is the sound quality on those?

The Ascend's are super neutral, very very clean sound, with really good clarity...Just a tad bright. They also sound more full when crossed over with the sub. I haven't spent much time with the Polk's just got them because they were dirt cheap, might sell them, or just use them on a different floor when I have parties.

I see lots of mentions of external DACs. Does anyone here have experience with both external DACs and the original X-Fi? I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference, and if it would even be worth upgrading.

Though I guess I can't keep using a PCI sound card forever. Eventually I'm going to have to get something new.

If it helps with recommendations, I'm running it into a Schiit Vali 2, which then runs to either AKG K550 headphones or M Audio M30 speakers. (yeah I know they're not the best, but that's what the headphones are for)

Kvik

Are your Genelecs active speakers? Meaning are they powered? Then you don't need an integrated, all you need is a DAC/Pre-amp.

There are many options for you, only issue being XLR outs are usually found on higher priced units.

This Teak UD-301 has XLR out, and it's a dual mono DSD DAC.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9HZ5QW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then there's this, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, this has XLR out and they are a good audio company.

Yeah I should really say amp/dac instead of just integrated to spare all the confusion. But yeah I have a pair of Genelec 8030C which is active speakers.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm leaning towards TEAC, but I don't know if I need DSD though,

nitewulf

I see lots of mentions of external DACs. Does anyone here have experience with both external DACs and the original X-Fi? I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference, and if it would even be worth upgrading.

Though I guess I can't keep using a PCI sound card forever. Eventually I'm going to have to get something new.

If it helps with recommendations, I'm running it into a Schiit Vali 2, which then runs to either AKG K550 headphones or M Audio M30 speakers. (yeah I know they're not the best, but that's what the headphones are for)
Ok, I didn't chime in previously because I have no experience with the XFi. But even if you have the latest version circa 2010....in DAC terms that's from the stone age.
Firstly, the DAC chips themselves in external DACs are far advanced, even for the 2010/2011 models. Most external DACs use the Sabre ES9018S,(http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/dac/) which are far advanced from what's in the XFi. Other DACs use TI Burr Brown DACs with similar specs. Most are capable of handling 24 bit 192KHz source signals.
Secondly, many of the DACs have asynchronous USB inputs, essentially they take the raw USB output from your source, and re-clock it, thus eliminating any noise introduced by the PC/Laptop/Source device.
Thirdly, the input circuitry, the amplification of the analog stage after the DAC processes the signal, and the output stages are much, much more advanced and capable in most external DACs. They could have class A amplification stages, dual mono configuration, source and output transofrmers to get rid of DC noise, huge banks of capacitors to handle dynamic swings in music...you name it.

So depending on your budget....here are my recommendations...for a dac/headphone amp setup for your music:

Nuprime DAC 10H - $1795
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/dacs-and-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h.html
This is a DAC/headphone amp.

There's a version without the headphone amp, the DAC 10, for $1495.

I am actually thinking of getting the DAC 10 to replace my current DAC.

PS Audio Sprout - $499

This is a dac/headphone amp/integrated amp
Meaning, it'll hook up to your PC, drive your headphones AND will drive passive speakers from the speaker outputs (50W/channel), if you ever plan to upgrade speakers. In case you go for this, you dont need the Schitt integrated.

PS Audio is a high end audio brand that has been around since the early 70's, I myself use their now discontinued top of the line DAC.

Oppo HA-1 - $1100
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIYXTSO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This is pretty well regarded, DAC/headphone amp.

Nuprime DAC 9 - $749
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WV4MSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Standalone DAC.

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus

This is a DAC/Headphone amp. Cambridge Audio also has been around a long, long time and they are well regarded.

Also check out the Teac units I mentioned in above posts. I linked from Music Direct but I have no affiliation with them...they just have good prices on gear, you can shop around other sites.

Ok, I didn't chime in previously because I have no experience with the XFi. But even if you have the latest version circa 2010....in DAC terms that's from the stone age.
Firstly, the DAC chips themselves in external DACs are far advanced, even for the 2010/2011 models. Most external DACs use the Sabre ES9018S,(http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/dac/) which are far advanced from what's in the XFi. Other DACs use TI Burr Brown DACs with similar specs. Most are capable of handling 24 bit 192KHz source signals.
Secondly, many of the DACs have asynchronous USB inputs, essentially they take the raw USB output from your source, and re-clock it, thus eliminating any noise introduced by the PC/Laptop/Source device.
Thirdly, the input circuitry, the amplification of the analog stage after the DAC processes the signal, and the output stages are much, much more advanced and capable in most external DACs. They could have class A amplification stages, dual mono configuration, source and output transofrmers to get rid of DC noise, huge banks of capacitors to handle dynamic swings in music...you name it.

So depending on your budget....here are my recommendations...for a dac/headphone amp setup for your music:

Nuprime DAC 10H - $1795
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/dacs-and-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h.html
This is a DAC/headphone amp.

There's a version without the headphone amp, the DAC 10, for $1495.

I am actually thinking of getting the DAC 10 to replace my current DAC.

PS Audio Sprout - $499

This is a dac/headphone amp/integrated amp
Meaning, it'll hook up to your PC, drive your headphones AND will drive passive speakers from the speaker outputs (50W/channel), if you ever plan to upgrade speakers. In case you go for this, you dont need the Schitt integrated.

PS Audio is a high end audio brand that has been around since the early 70's, I myself use their now discontinued top of the line DAC.

Oppo HA-1 - $1100
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIYXTSO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This is pretty well regarded, DAC/headphone amp.

Nuprime DAC 9 - $749
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WV4MSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Standalone DAC.

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus

This is a DAC/Headphone amp. Cambridge Audio also has been around a long, long time and they are well regarded.

Also check out the Teac units I mentioned in above posts. I linked from Music Direct but I have no affiliation with them...they just have good prices on gear, you can shop around other sites.

Wow, that's a lot of info! Thanks for the suggestions!

Corsick

Any thoughts on Edifier and how good their products are? I was thinking about getting this, my current speakers are new, but really cheap. I'll probably donate them if I get these - my only concern is bass. I don't need a ton of it, but there's has to be some punch at least. I want to avoid getting a sub just for issues about space and cable management.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDU3IAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FoxSpirit

Any thoughts on Edifier and how good their products are? I was thinking about getting this, my current speakers are new, but really cheap. I'll probably donate them if I get these - my only concern is bass. I don't need a ton of it, but there's has to be some punch at least. I want to avoid getting a sub just for issues about space and cable management.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDU3IAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
If you can, stretch for those:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDIS6M0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The R2000 have a pretty uneven output and generally a lot of flaws, the S1000 are a huge improvement in every regard. Evenness, transparency, extension etc. Though beware, at 30 pounds per box (!!) they are a... tad heavy.

They generally review very well for the asked price of $300.

Though at least at the moment, Chane Music has a much better offer:
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii
They seem to be pretty reputable and it's a 150 bucks less than on hivi.us . Seems they are clearing stock of all their Swans stuff.

Renekton

The R2000 have a pretty uneven output and generally a lot of flaws, the S1000 are a huge improvement in every regard. Evenness, transparency, extension etc. Though beware, at 30 pounds per box (!!) they are a... tad heavy.

Wow, they have come a long way.

Back then they were only known for dirt cheap boomy bass stuff

longdi

Banned
I wonder those DAC costing hundreds to thousands, are they really that good? I thought those ic chips used in DAC are pretty cheap

Corsick

Though at least at the moment, Chane Music has a much better offer:
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii
They seem to be pretty reputable and it's a 150 bucks less than on hivi.us . Seems they are clearing stock of all their Swans stuff.

I was wondering if Chane was legit, has anyone purchased from there? The deals look a lot better at times - not sure about shipping service levels though. As in, what kinds they offer.

FoxSpirit

I wonder those DAC costing hundreds to thousands, are they really that good? I thought those ic chips used in DAC are pretty cheap
Yes they are and design is also not that hard.

But add in some slight aftereffects in analogue circuitry and tell people that sound is the sign of a better DAC and some people will simply throw out money in spades. I mean, Benchmark audio makes the most sophisticated studio level gear possible, engineered wide beyond what is audible and their DAC is still at 2k. Their poweramp is arguably the cleanest in the world and puts out 200Wpc for 3k.

Audio electronics is basically a scientifically solved field, I can get a German handsoldered poweramp at the level of a Luxman for $500.

My ASUS soundcard into my Icepower ASX2 amp delivers a perfect high-end output for what, $400? At least if you want perfect studio monitor sound.

Speakers who do this justice are normally not that cheap but Philharmonic Audio or to a lesser extent XTZ will set you up with the proper hardware for a fair price on that end too.

lord

I need to choose between the Mackie CR5BT and the Audioengine A5+, the difference in price would be around $70 where I live. Are the A5 worth the extra money? I will be using them with Serato, Ableton and regular listening in a small room.

FoxSpirit

Do you need the volume knob on front and Bluetooth? No?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1DEI8G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
They are cheaper and have a more crisp sound definition which I like. Plus they are actually active biamped vs merely powered. That seriously helps woofer impulse control in my experience.
Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HGM1D6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Don't forget to set the input on the JBLs to -10 for unbalanced connections (consult the manual).
Alternative:
http://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-5s
A bit better for a bit more.

I'd only get the A5+ if you are into more round sound and are really into acoustic music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom