• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

I wonder those DAC costing hundreds to thousands, are they really that good? I thought those ic chips used in DAC are pretty cheap

well, the DAC chips are just one part of the equation, they do the digital to analog conversion, but how they are implemented and how the input signal, and then the output signal is handled, those are big issues.

and not just thousands, DCS and NAGRA gear cost tens of thousands and are well regarded all over the world.

at the end of the day you have to audition and listen for yourself.

MoonGred

Glad this thread got bumped again. I've been on the look out for desk speakers for a while and can't find anything apart from the A5+, for all intent and purpose they seem amazing. The only problem is that I want them in black and I've seen some photos where the ring around the speaker is this weird blue/dark grey which looks awful.

Any other recommendations, would just be used for some casual music listening/entertainment hooked up to a magni/modi combo

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is quite an intimidating read.

Essentially, I'm looking for speakers I can build out from. The current plan is to find something that can hook up to my PC though either a built in DAC or optical cables, but could also be used with other devices like a mini hifi or the TV. So, something with a good selection of inputs.

The tricky part, apparently, is that I listen to mostly metal and electronic music. It's hard to get a good read on the situation but, after checking out comments from audio forums, I got the sense that these of high-end desktop speakers supposedly "fall apart" when subjected to anything other than impeccably mastered jazz?

Will be looking for products available in the UK. The budget to aim for is around £300.
Also worth noting that my desk is about five or six feet wide. So size and placement could be a factor.

And, for what ever it's worth, I currently listen to everything through Grado SR125 headphones hooked up to a gen 1 Schiit Magni that goes right into the aux port on the motherboard! Had a Modi, but it started giving "Device not recognised" errors on my PC. That makes me a little gun-shy about plug-and-play DACs these days.

But yeah, I'm not super discerning. There's a lot I'll let slide, but I've had enough of a taste to know that cheapo speakers and headphones now sound terrible to me.

Thanks in advance.

nitewulf

Essentially, I'm looking for speakers I can build out from. The current plan is to find something that can hook up to my PC though either a built in DAC or optical cables, but could also be used with other devices like a mini hifi or the TV. So, something with a good selection of inputs.
So, what is the ask, you want to build out a surround setup in the future and want to start out with the front two channel? And also, you want the speakers to be active, since you didn't mention any amps?

The tricky part, apparently, is that I listen to mostly metal and electronic music. It's hard to get a good read on the situation but, after checking out comments from audio forums, I got the sense that these of high-end desktop speakers supposedly "fall apart" when subjected to anything other than impeccably mastered jazz?
I'm not an expert on hi-end PC speakers, but that's not really true. It depends on the speaker, sensitivity and the size. sensitive speakers with a decent sized mid-woofer unit and cabinet should have no issue handling metal and electronic music.

LordAmused

I've got the Bose Companion 20 since 2013 and it has been the best purchase of speakers I've ever made. Awesome highs and lows, mids are as wonderful as they always are on Bose products and boy, I'm blown away every single day by how loud they sound even though they are very compact. For a music enthusiast like me, it's been a god send. No need for a bass module, they pack more than my 5.1 sound system !

71vfy6XasqL._SL1200_.jpg

So, what is the ask, you want to build out a surround setup in the future and want to start out with the front two channel? And also, you want the speakers to be active, since you didn't mention any amps?
Sorry about that. Yes, I'm thinking along the lines of powered speakers. Going all in on an amp that does the things I'd want along with a pair of speakers would probably push things outside of my price range.

Ah, and the "building out" comment was poorly worded. What I meant was speakers that are versatile enough to be worked into any future set ups, like if I was to get an amp, or to make a surround sound set up down the road.

So far, I've looked at the Q Acoustics BT3 and Audio engine a2+ and a5+, but it was around that time all the comments about what kind of music they were suited for started popping up. I don't really have any way of testing these out, so I'm hoping people either have experiences with those, or have better recommendations.

What's the difference between the Audioengine A5+ and the A2+?

Power and frequency range. The A2s are smaller than the A5s.

I've had both and they both provide fantastic sound quality (although with the A2s, I had the bring the mids-down for a clearer sound, otherwise they were a little muddy). The A5s have more of a punch - they are pretty big/heavy, though.

Chumpion

My educated guess is that Audioengine A5+ is not among the best in its price class. The company seems to thrive on advertising. And I'd guess that Adam F5 and some other studio monitors would beat it handily.

Chumpion

I've got the Bose Companion 20 since 2013 and it has been the best purchase of speakers I've ever made. Awesome highs and lows, mids are as wonderful as they always are on Bose products and boy, I'm blown away every single day by how loud they sound even though they are very compact. For a music enthusiast like me, it's been a god send. No need for a bass module, they pack more than my 5.1 sound system !

Sorry but Bose is overpriced garbage, much like Monster Cables or Beats By Dre. You're paying for brand name.

MoonGred

My educated guess is that Audioengine A5+ is not among the best in its price class. The company seems to thrive on advertising. And I'd guess that Adam F5 and some other studio monitors would beat it handily.

I had a quick look and the Adam's would set me back around $750 AUD, the A5+ is around $570.
Not arguing that the Adam's aren't better but I simply can't find anything that is around the A5+ price mark and doesn't look awful.

nitewulf

I had a quick look and the Adam's would set me back around $750 AUD, the A5+ is around $570.
Not arguing that the Adam's aren't better but I simply can't find anything that is around the A5+ price mark and doesn't look awful.

Did you look into the B&Ws I linked to?

nitewulf

Check out Emotivas, the Airmotiv 5S is probably what you should target:
https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva-pro/powered-monitors-0

These are absolutely beautiful:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AXYKF30/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PSBs are fantastic speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4NH72Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We shall see if I come to regret this, but I had to speed up the purchase. Out of the short list of speakers in my price range, I ended up settling on a pair of Kanto YU3.

Had all the functionality I wanted and, while I couldn't find any published reviews, there's plenty positive word of mouth out there. Hell, one guy on youtube proclaimed that "on a scale of 1-10, these are a major win!"

While that's all the endorsement needed, I would still be interested in hearing if anyone here has had a chance to try these. As with most blind buying of audio equipment, I fully expect to suddenly find all the info about how they actually sound dreadful.

Well, I'll give 'em a shot and report back.

MoonGred

Check out Emotivas, the Airmotiv 5S is probably what you should target:
https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva-pro/powered-monitors-0

These are absolutely beautiful:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AXYKF30/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PSBs are fantastic speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4NH72Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

B&W hover around $700 plus shipping

I've submitted a request for price inc shipping with Emotiva as they don't seem to stock them locally

Kef would set me back around the 1k mark

PSB may actually be my best bet, I've found a shop that seems to sell them but for some reason aren't allowed to sell them online, so I had to email them directly as well.

Thanks for all the recommendations though, Australia just seems to be in a really poor spot when it comes to home audio, with our dollar being in the drain importing gets expensive as well.

deadlast

has anyone tried the Razer - Leviathan? It's that Soundbar with a Subwoofer. It's 140 (normally 200) at bestbuy and I was curious if it was worth it.

Ultima_5

anything that could also power some passive speakers? i'm tempted to just get a cheap receiver but i'd rather not have that in my desk

lord

Do you need the volume knob on front and Bluetooth? No?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1DEI8G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
They are cheaper and have a more crisp sound definition which I like. Plus they are actually active biamped vs merely powered. That seriously helps woofer impulse control in my experience.
Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HGM1D6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Don't forget to set the input on the JBLs to -10 for unbalanced connections (consult the manual).
Alternative:
http://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-5s
A bit better for a bit more.

I'd only get the A5+ if you are into more round sound and are really into acoustic music.
Ended up getting a pair of Yamaha HS5 on your recommendation of going for bi-amped, and they were $100 each. Holy crap they are fantastic. They sound great for music and are not tiring at all like my previous pair when working on music. They don't seem that great for video but I don't care.

Filth

Gaf i need some help reccomendations. After much much listening and watching reviews. I decided to buy a pair of Lsr305's. My issue is i dont have a reciever to use with my tv / ps4 / cable. I know you dont need a reciever just an interface to control the volume. My question is what interface should i get that would accomidate what i need. I researched a lot yesterday but the market is very flooded and im confused. Help please

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Gaf i need some help reccomendations. After much much listening and watching reviews. I decided to buy a pair of Lsr305's. My issue is i dont have a reciever to use with my tv / ps4 / cable. I know you dont need a reciever just an interface to control the volume. My question is what interface should i get that would accomidate what i need. I researched a lot yesterday but the market is very flooded and im confused. Help please
Is everything connected to your tv? Can't you use your tv to control the volume.

nitewulf

I have cable on input 1 and ps4 on input 2. I dont have a reciever for the speakers.

You don't need a receiver necessarilly, what you need is either analog (RCA) or digital (optical/coax) outputs from your TV, can you verify what outputs your TV has?

This speaker has its own volume control, but only accepts XLR and TRS inputs. TRS seems pretty odd, but XLR is pretty common. Once you connect the audio out from your TV to the speaker, you can control using TV volume, while keeping the speaker control at a specific setting.

lord

no, the speakers will only take analog, they dont have a DAC, if the TV has analog audio out he can use these speakers, otherwise he either has to use a DAC or a pair of speakers that can accept digital.
Right, that's why I said if the TV has aux out, which is analogue.

Filth

You don't need a receiver necessarilly, what you need is either analog (RCA) or digital (optical/coax) outputs from your TV, can you verify what outputs your TV has?

This speaker has its own volume control, but only accepts XLR and TRS inputs. TRS seems pretty odd, but XLR is pretty common. Once you connect the audio out from your TV to the speaker, you can control using TV volume, while keeping the speaker control at a specific setting.

I have a samsung ks8000. Im not home to check the inputs in the back but i know it has optical out.

nitewulf

I just spent 280 on speaker stands and speakers. So i can spend 100-300 dollars now. I also need the wires for the speakers

I already bought the speakers. So i could get a dac / interface for my situation ?

Ok, for your use case, since you were asking about interfaces, one option is to buy a dac like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009346RSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This will take an optical input, and then you need to buy RCA to XLR converters to hook up the speakers you posted.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068NZK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

the other option is to buy speakers that accept optical like the one I posted earlier...there might be cheaper ones but i can't speak to the quality.

nitewulf

Also, if you go with option one, this is very important, from your TV's menu you have to select optical output for audio and make sure the output is set to PCM and not to anything else.

Filth

Also, if you go with option one, this is very important, from your TV's menu you have to select optical output for audio and make sure the output is set to PCM and not to anything else.

awesome. i see the dac is very cheap and i woudnt mind spending some more money for better quality. any reccomendations or just go cheap ?

nitewulf

awesome. i see the dac is very cheap and i woudnt mind spending some more money for better quality. any reccomendations or just go cheap ?

I'm of the opinion speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality improvement. What are you actually looking to achieve? What I mean is, you said you already bought speakers, so what are these speakers going to be used for?

The JBLs might be pretty good, I just have no idea. But for the dac...the Fiio should be fine, more so than the other DACs I'm seeing on Amazon around the price range.

Filth

I'm of the opinion speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality improvement. What are you actually looking to achieve? What I mean is, you said you already bought speakers, so what are these speakers going to be used for?

The JBLs might be pretty good, I just have no idea. But for the dac...the Fiio should be fine, more so than the other DACs I'm seeing on Amazon around the price range.

going to place them left and right of my tv for movies and music. i have limited space so i didnt want to go crazy with a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. these speakers are highly rated and sound great. the problem is they are monitors and setup that easily. im new to dacs and what not and youve been super helpful. ill order that dac but i also need help getting the wires and adapters i need. so what im looking at is dac goes to the tv through optical? and then the speakers go into the dac using ???? wires. after that is all connected go into the tv and change the settings you said earlier.

nitewulf

going to place them left and right of my tv for movies and music. i have limited space so i didnt want to go crazy with a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. these speakers are highly rated and sound great. the problem is they are monitors and setup that easily. im new to dacs and what not and youve been super helpful. ill order that dac but i also need help getting the wires and adapters i need. so what im looking at is dac goes to the tv through optical? and then the speakers go into the dac using ???? wires. after that is all connected go into the tv and change the settings you said earlier.
I posted these, RCA to xlr cables...one for left, one for right, but obviously shop around for the actual length you need:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068NZK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for the speakers, if you actually heard them and liked them, then sure go for them.

kevm3

Kevm3, any update on the Yggdrasil? And have you heard anything about the Nuprime DAC 10?

My bad, haven't checked this thread in forever. The Yggdrasil has settled in quite nicely. You do have to leave it on. I haven't heard the Nuprime DAC. I think my next purchase will be an LSA statement amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom