• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
they are ascend acoustics Sierra-1, ESPRESSO finish. I almost got the other new finish, cherry:

ch2.jpg

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

The espresso and cherry aren't out yet, but you can preorder them through the links in the thread and save $50. You can save another 5% if you prepay, making them cheaper than piano black! So glad I waited

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3963

pj325is said:
They claim the finish makes the mids sound more full

that was a joke, btw

Those are nice speakers, i may be in the market to upgrade my speakers once i get a new turntable. Happy with my amp and dont want to spend alot on a cd player so i use my elite universal.

Raistlin

The "3 A's" are always worth a look for quality bang-for-the-buck speakers:

Ascend Acoustics

Axiom Audio

AV123

Tarazet

I have a nice pair of ADS L10 vintage speakers, but the inputs are speaker wire only. I doubt very many sound cards support that.

Tarazet

Onix said:
Then put an amp in the middle?

Yeah, I need to get a new preamp. The old hand me down Harmon/Kardon I have is like 5,000 pounds and has sticky buttons which make the speakers cut out unless you jiggle them like crazy.

Onix said:
The "3 A's" are always worth a look for quality bang-for-the-buck speakers:

Ascend Acoustics

Axiom Audio

AV123

I find axioms too bright, thats why i went with energy it had a very smooth mellow sound, im looking for a similar signature. The new speaker should be a significant upgrade over the energy as well.

John_B

Perhaps somebody could help me a bit.

I'm interested in a Decco or a Nova even, but Peachtree Audio products are not sold in Europe it seems. Are there some good options for importing such products?

nitewulf

Perhaps somebody could help me a bit.

I'm interested in a Decco or a Nova even, but Peachtree Audio products are not sold in Europe it seems. Are there some good options for importing such products?
Today 04:20 PM
email David Solomon from Peachtree, he answer all emails, I'm sure something can be worked out on that front.

Raistlin

Winged Creature said:
I find axioms too bright, thats why i went with energy it had a very smooth mellow sound, im looking for a similar signature. The new speaker should be a significant upgrade over the energy as well.

I've actually heard that about Axiom's, I don't know if it's consistent throughout all their lines.

I too am not a fan of bright speakers, but figured I'd mention them as they are fairly popular - at least for those that like that sort of sound.

nitewulf

Vandertseen 1C's...i think they'll be a significant upgrade to what you have, they are very highly regarded and have a warm nature.

Raistlin

If you like thin towers, I've heard good things about the DefTech Mythos line ... though I wouldn't call them small. They're fairly tall.

Raistlin

Winged Creature said:
dont like the sound of deftech

They're nice for HT, but yeah ... I wouldn't use them for serious audio (at least the ones I've heard). Haven't had a chance to test the myhos yet though.

While not small, I've been meaning to give these a listen:

rocky-mountain-audio-fest-photo-3.jpg

av123strataminicu.jpg

stratamini-5_1024.jpg

Strata Mini

Hot

nitewulf

Winged Creature said:
too big for the listening room, i prefer smaller towers (think totem staff/arrow) or larger bookshelves
Devore Fidelity Gibbon 3's are pretty warm.

_audio_devoreg3_images_gib4.jpg

The new Dynaudio Excite X12's or the X16's:
Excite_op.jpg

Dynaudio Audience 42 or 52s:
e90efd5c42e97a6177baf0db5969b638.jpg

This line is discontinued now, so you can pick up a pair for very reasonable prices.

I'd suggest getting Dynaudios. Not bright at all, very well designed speakers...take a long time to burn in, but they sound very, very good with good gear.

pj

Banned
Ok, I may have to eat my words regarding amplifiers..

I bought a used amp. I got it because it was a good deal and the speakers I'm getting next month aren't very efficient, especially considering the lower output of my AVR.

rb1070_angle.jpg

I only had a few minutes with it during my lunch break, but it seeeeeeeems to have made a difference in the sound. Part of it is that it's louder for any given volume level, but I think it does sound different.

I'm skeptical of myself because I really wanted it to make a difference even though I expected it not to.

Still cant make my own threads so ill post this here. Im about to leave in an hour or so, to go get some 2.1 speakers for my TV. The ones I had crapped out this morning after 10 years and I need some new ones. Im on a budget of $100 or less and want to know what I can get for the buck. Ill continue to search this thread but time is counting. Should of thought of doing this earlier.

Tokubetsu

So are the SWAN M10's definitely the way to go for something relatively small and starter and bang for your buck? I've been using my HD595s and a cmoy exclusively for awhile now while I look into a decent speaker setup.

Raistlin

KoruptData said:
Still cant make my own threads so ill post this here. Im about to leave in an hour or so, to go get some 2.1 speakers for my TV. The ones I had crapped out this morning after 10 years and I need some new ones. Im on a budget of $100 or less and want to know what I can get for the buck. Ill continue to search this thread but time is counting. Should of thought of doing this earlier.

Generally with bang-for-the buck, you need to shop online ... not at a store.

nitewulf

pj325is, they do make a difference like i said. not gonna get into an arguement about whether they make more of a difference than speakers (which wasn't my point to begin with)...but amps sound a lot different from each other. i did plenty of listening tests.

anyway, good luck with the rotel, it should serve you well.

Just pre-ordered a pair of Alesis M1 Active 520 USB powered reference monitors. They're monitors so they probably aren't the kind of speakers a lot of people in this thread are looking for, but they kick so much ass for $200. You can get audio out through USB, and the speakers have two 1/4" inputs turning them into a mini USB interface as well. Am waiting in excitement!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I used Axioms for years and loved them. Then I bought a pair of SVS speakers just to play around with. They were far far cheaper than my Axioms. Within a month I sold the Axioms and had a full set of the SVS speakers.

The SVS are ugly, but they are easily the best speakers in their price range that I have heard and i have played with most of the big ID brands. Interestingly Craigsub on AVS has done some double blind speaker challenges, and the SCS-01 has yet to be beat in that price range.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Timedog said:
I use a firewire digital analog converter into Dynaudio BM5a connected by XLR cables.

If you want audiophile you better not be using some shitty stock DA converters.

just buy a yamaha reciever, they have Burr Brown DAC's on every channel. Bang for your buck that is going to be very hard to beat. Just make sure you get a full range receiver, some of their low end stuff caps at 1Khz.

Tarazet

sonarrat said:
I have a nice pair of ADS L10 vintage speakers, but the inputs are speaker wire only. I doubt very many sound cards support that.

Update.. hooked up my ancient Harmon/Kardon 730 boat anchor twin-powered amplifier and plugged in both the TV and the computer. My God does it sound good. Analog sound is so awesome. :D

I recently bought a new Denon AVR-889 for $500. (Got a nice deal via TheNerds.) I get my banana plugs in today. I can finally set up my system! I can't wait to hear it. :D

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
StoOgE said:
just buy a yamaha reciever, they have Burr Brown DAC's on every channel. Bang for your buck that is going to be very hard to beat. Just make sure you get a full range receiver, some of their low end stuff caps at 1Khz.

I'm not using a normal consumer system. It's meant for music production. I have active speakers because space is a concern. As far as I've heard, burr brown isn't super highly looked upon, but I think that might be burr brown ic used in preamps vs. bulky vintage style preamp builds.

For reference level DAC's we'd look at stuff like Prism, Lavry, IZ technology DAC's, although my shit isn't to that level.

kevm3

Had to bring this thread back from the dead since I'm moving from headphones to speakers. Anyone have experience with sound signatures from different receivers? I'm trying to decide between a Harman Kardon and a Yamaha. I currently have Sennheiser HD600 headphones and I find they are too laid back for me, I prefer something slightly more aggressive, but not overly bright.

Also, has anyone tried the Polk Audio LSi 15 speakers?

TheExodu5

Banned
While I can't take credit for it (my dad's gear), this is what we're running at home right now:

B&W 802D
802d.jpg

Bryston 4B SST
cz_main.jpg

I love the speakers so damn much. We've gone through some others...Matrix 801, 803D, Orions...but these are easily my favorite. So damn lifelike, and much more lively than our last 803Ds. Damn pricey though...don't know if I'd ever afford such gear myself.

Not running off a PC though.

nitewulf

kevm3 said:
Had to bring this thread back from the dead since I'm moving from headphones to speakers. Anyone have experience with sound signatures from different receivers? I'm trying to decide between a Harman Kardon and a Yamaha. I currently have Sennheiser HD600 headphones and I find they are too laid back for me, I prefer something slightly more aggressive, but not overly bright.

Also, has anyone tried the Polk Audio LSi 15 speakers?
at that price range, you might wanna look into the Focals, Focal Chorus 807Vs. they are very easy to drive, and are pretty aggressive. now i thought the treble was pretty bright, but you just might like it, plus with proper room treatment (carpeting, rugs), and your selection of amps, you could always control the brightness.

kevm3

I appreciate the advice. How is the current speaker setup still holding up? Still enjoying them as much as when you first got them?

TheExodu5 said:
While I can't take credit for it (my dad's gear), this is what we're running at home right now:

B&W 802D
802d.jpg

Bryston 4B SST
cz_main.jpg

I love the speakers so damn much. We've gone through some others...Matrix 801, 803D, Orions...but these are easily my favorite. So damn lifelike, and much more lively than our last 803Ds. Damn pricey though...don't know if I'd ever afford such gear myself.

Not running off a PC though.

damn thats a fantastic setup, im gonna upgrade to some rotel amplification soon and im also looking at getting some B&W speakers. One step at a time ...

nitewulf

kevm3 said:
I appreciate the advice. How is the current speaker setup still holding up? Still enjoying them as much as when you first got them?
it sounds like a dream with jazz and acoustic music. rock and electronic sound excellent and awesome as well. very tight, and controlled bass....very fast dynamics, hollow, liquid mid range and silky smooth treble.

dynaudios are it for me, as far as speakers go...i'll definitely stay with them and move up the dyn ladder, when the time comes.

the setup was taken to its new heights by the McIntosh MC-252 amplifier however, without it, the dyns didnt really sing before.

kevm3

I just ordered my setup. Harman Kardon 3490 2 channel receiver and a pair of RC-10s. We'll see how it works out. I've heard Hsu Labs makes good speakers for the money. Hsu Labs HB-1 Mk2. I didn't find out about those until after I ordered the RC 10s though.

kevm3

Winged Creature said:
the RC-10 is a very nice speaker i like it very much, but its time for me to upgrade into higher end territory.

Around what price range are you looking at for your next speaker? I've heard the Polk Audio Lsi 15s were good.

I am putting these in a small room, so I think the RC 10's will be sufficient for now. More than anything, I am more interested in hearing their sound signature to see if this is 'for me'. I've heard these were laid back and mellow sounding. i don't mind that as long as it's not too laid back to the point where the highs have been rolled off. As long as the sound isn't 'distant' and soft sounding I should be fine.

Im going into the $2000 to $2500 range, the RC-10 is nice for what it is, a nice budget speaker. I dont like polk speakers i find them a tad bit bright. The highs on the RC-10s are not rolled of at all, the highs are there just not harsh and very smooth.

kevm3

Winged Creature said:
Im going into the $2000 to $2500 range, the RC-10 is nice for what it is, a nice budget speaker. I dont like polk speakers i find them a tad bit bright. The highs on the RC-10s are not rolled of at all, the highs are there just not harsh and very smooth.

That's definitely good to hear about the RC 10 sound signature. Are you sticking with the energy line or thinking about branching out into something different?

Ever since energy got bought by klipsch its all been downhill, the RC and Veritas series is the last series done by Energy before klipsch got into the picture. This time im going into the higher echelon of speaker manufacturers, I still may stick with something thats Canadian and solid but ive been looking more and more at European speaker manufacturers. B&W, Focal, Sonus Fabre and Dynaaudio are some european brands im looking at. With Canadian speakers, im looking at the paradigm reference series, PSB synchrony and totem.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Winged Creature said:
Ever since energy got bought by klipsch its all been downhill, the RC and Veritas series is the last series done by Energy before klipsch got into the picture. This time im going into the higher echelon of speaker manufacturers, I still may stick with something thats Canadian and solid but ive been looking more and more at European speaker manufacturers. B&W, Focal, Sonus Fabre and Dynaaudio are some european brands im looking at. With Canadian speakers, im looking at the paradigm reference series, PSB synchrony and totem.

Well I own a pair of Focal Electra 1007BE and I can tell you they're straight up amazing. You might also want to consider Elac if you like a lean, detailed sound.

pj325is said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in country of origin, unless you're going for image or something

My focus isnt country of origin I just want good sound, I just wanted to expand my horizon, since all the speakers ive ever owned are Canadian (Energy, Paradigm etc). They are fantastic i just want to see what else is out there past the national research council sound that Canadian speakers have.

nitewulf

Winged Creature said:
focus 140's...this is a giant killer, believe me. dynaudio designed it so well, its more comparable to their upper end contour lines, its a LOT better than their previous intro audience series. the tweeter is godly. and you wont believe the bass is coming from those boxes.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
nitewulf said:
focus 140's...this is a giant killer, believe me. dynaudio designed it so well, its more comparable to their upper end contour lines, its a LOT better than their previous intro audience series. the tweeter is godly. and you wont believe the bass is coming from those boxes.

Eh, I find the bass in the 140s far too bloated and overall prefer the 110s instead. For overall "wow" factor the Contour 1.4s kick the crap out of the 140s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom