• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what was the general consensus on the Mario & Luigi 3ds game? Any one here play it? I never really read much about it, and kinda auto assumed that it wasn't well received a la 3ds Paper Mario...?

Anyway I'm paying it now, and even though 3 hours in it's still tutorial land and incredibly slow going....it seems alright. I'm hoping it gets better once things start speeding up a bit!

I'm not normally an RPGs guy so I'm not the best judge, but I got that game preinstalled on my 3DS XL. I think I lasted about an hour. It seems rough compared to other Nintendo games. Great music, though.

Headphones-
closed cans are far more likely to make your ears feel fatigued faster, but then, so will using equalization on your music player. You can't really use them for mixing music but they are great for when you are recording or overdubbing acoustic instruments (ie, so the mike doesn't pic up spill from your headphones playing back your drum track, for example).
As for public transport, you should check different types do open cans for spill. I remember this guy who used to work near us and his headphones broadcast his music like speakers. We thought he must be listening really loudly, but we checked and it wasn't loud at all, just the way they were designed. All spill is not equal.

When I'm out and about, I just wear the current apple earbuds- they're half canal, half standard buds, they sound a lot better than the old buds, and they make phone calls easier. When I'm working, akg 240 for open and akg 270 for closed.

Get what sounds good to you.

Stackboy

Finished Second Son over the weekend, did the evil storyline. The whole Good/Evil thing didn't take for me until the story ended.

Few games make me want to keep playing after the main storyline is over, but the powers make me want to go back and destroy more things. Plus I might eventually try to do the good arc.

Oh, and Lansmash is on in Brisbane this weekend!! Google it or something. PC/console gaming.

Fusebox

Banned
Holy shit, thanks to the latest episode of Micallefs Angry I just found out that King Billy Cokebottle was a white guy doing blackface!!

2001-01-17_c3.jpg

In my defense I only ever listened to his records, but I had seen some still images before and I gotta say damn, he was convincing, I never even thought to question his skin color.

Clive lives in the US?

Haha, that'll teach me to visit this thread more often.

Bought a pair of Razer Kraken Pros yesterday for the nice price of $59 at Cashies yesterday. Only issue is that they didn't come with the audio/mic splitter so I can't use it with my computer. :| Anyone know where I might be able to score one from locally? Only thing I'm seeing online is to get it shipped. Razer do their own but it's $20 and fuck that

Shaneus

Haha, that'll teach me to visit this thread more often.
I had a feeling you might not have known, hence the question rather than accusatory statement ;)

So, anyone here going to Supanova in Melb this weekend? There's a pinball comp on so I'll be heading there 10-4ish on Sat and (time undetermined) on Sunday. If anyone has a ticket available outside those times or might want entry outside those times, I'd be happy to work something out :)

Or if you can get me free entry. That'd be rad, too!

Dead Man

Sorry to use you guys as my tech support again, is there a wireless mouse that uses something other than 2.4ghz? I am getting insane interference that I think is from the USB3.0 ports in use.

is there a wireless mouse that uses something other than 2.4ghz?
Try different placement of the receivers, different wireless channels. I have a wireless router, wireless mouse, wireless headset, all in close proximity and once I figured out the best spots for them, they all co-exist just fine.

Dead Man

I'm using the Razor Orochi and it runs on Bluetooth.

No BT receiver on my PC. I can get one if it is the easiest way to fix the problem.

Try different placement of the receivers, different wireless channels. I have a wireless router, wireless mouse, wireless headset, all in close proximity and once I figured out the best spots for them, they all co-exist just fine.

Yeah, done that. Everything is fine except the mouse. It is better than it was, and works about 90% now, but depending on other rf sources it can be a pain in the arse still. I'll play around with them some more.

Fusebox

Banned
BT is probably not the best fix, I've had problems with it on PC in the past but I have to say it seems solid on my Macbook.

Dead Man

BT is probably not the best fix, I've had problems with it on PC in the past but I have to say it seems solid on my Macbook.

Cheers. I'll keep playing with the locations. I think part of the problem is that I use the same PC from 2 locations, either a desk or send the picture and sound to the TV for watching movies, which is the main time it messes up. If I get it to work from the couch it becomes shithouse at the desk. :/ Maybe I need to have 2 mice. But that seems stupid since everything is in the same room.

legend166

So due to hilariously stupid contractual requirements, we're getting Macs at work, but the only thing we can do when we boot into OSX is run a Windows 7 VM. I'm in the pilot program, and I got stuck with a 13 inch Macbook Pro, whilst others are getting a 15 inch. From what I can tell, the 13 inch Macbook Pro is the worst laptop Apple make. Certainly feels like it. Thing is heavy as a brick.

Dead Man

So, I got my new fan for the cpu. Take off the old one, have a dust, get ready to install the new one... and the damn clips to retain it on the heatsink are permanently attached to the fan. Awesome. So I have a great new fan but no way to attach it. Better reassemble with the old one and start looking.

Also, posting from a phone is slow.

Edit: Apparently there was a bracket in the box. Fuck me, I probably threw it out when I moved house.

Fusebox

Banned
So due to hilariously stupid contractual requirements, we're getting Macs at work, but the only thing we can do when we boot into OSX is run a Windows 7 VM. I'm in the pilot program, and I got stuck with a 13 inch Macbook Pro, whilst others are getting a 15 inch. From what I can tell, the 13 inch Macbook Pro is the worst laptop Apple make. Certainly feels like it. Thing is heavy as a brick.

The 13" late 2013 retina? Most people think it's one of the best laptops they've ever made. Dat insane battery life and that glorious screen.

didn't that dude get sued under the racial defamation act

No idea, I'd be surprised if he was because I always had the impression he wasn't making fun of Aboriginals, just telling jokes from their point of view (considering I thought he actually was one) and he seemed to hang out pretty deep in the Aboriginal scene. Here's the joke he's most well known for:

http://youtu.be/TAOq99LdsoY

Edit: hard to find solid info, a lot of dead links but it seems he went to court in Townsville for racial discrimination but he won the case, and then he was supposed to go to court again in Perth but I can find anything about that.

Dead Man

Fuck this shit. Does anyone have a link for a non US shipping only/customer only source for a damn fan mounting bracket for a hyper 212 cooler? I can find a parts replacement kit in the US, but no shipping to australia, and all the coolermaster support pages go back to their US site when you actually want to contact someone, and they say they only deal with products sold in the US.

Very fucking close to just buying a new cooler.

Deeku

I'm not normally an RPGs guy so I'm not the best judge, but I got that game preinstalled on my 3DS XL. I think I lasted about an hour. It seems rough compared to other Nintendo games. Great music, though.
Yeah, I only have it cos I bought that XL bundle too. I dunno, it's still really slow after 4 hours...but I'll probably stick with it a bit longer cos I liked the previous games. I agree the music is great!

legend166 said:
Nah the new mbp's are pretty good yo!

Fuck this shit. Does anyone have a link for a non US shipping only/customer only source for a damn fan mounting bracket for a hyper 212 cooler? I can find a parts replacement kit in the US, but no shipping to australia, and all the coolermaster support pages go back to their US site when you actually want to contact someone, and they say they only deal with products sold in the US.

Very fucking close to just buying a new cooler.
Have you tried calling the company you bought it from? If you had a spare in the box, there's every chance they might have a few laying around?

Dead Man

Have you tried calling the company you bought it from? If you had a spare in the box, there's every chance they might have a few laying around?

Good idea, I'll give it a go.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/hyper-212-plus-evo-accessories-kit/
This page has the parts kit for $7 US but no way to buy if you are not in NA, and I can't find it on their Asian site.

Edit: Bugger it, MSY has the whole damn cooler for 37 bucks. I'll just buy that and then have a spare heat sink I suppose.

Dead Man

Capitalism, hooooooooooooooooo!

I am not a well trained consumer! Yeah I am :(

But.

I reinstalled it on the other side of the heat sink... no rattle. Not ideal for airflow since I have two fans pointing at each other now but I'll keep an eye on temps and see how it goes.

So now I have a really slick fan for my next build I guess, lol.

Edit: No luck getting another bracket from the store. Oh well.

Tommy DJ

So, I got my new fan for the cpu. Take off the old one, have a dust, get ready to install the new one... and the damn clips to retain it on the heatsink are permanently attached to the fan. Awesome. So I have a great new fan but no way to attach it. Better reassemble with the old one and start looking.

Also, posting from a phone is slow.

Edit: Apparently there was a bracket in the box. Fuck me, I probably threw it out when I moved house.

Bit late but the clips attach via screws. They're covered by rubber stick on dampeners.

Dead Man

Bit late but the clips attach via screws. They're covered by rubber stick on dampeners.

Are you fucking kidding me? I will officially be the stupidest bastard on the planet if that is the case and I didn't see it.

Edit: You sir, are a steely eyed missile man. Fucking awesome. New fan clipped on, no rattle, and so much quieter it isn't funny. I may not be the brightest spark, however. I saw the end of the screws and assumed they were left over from injection molding since they looked just like excess plastic, and there was no screw head visible.

Thanks again.

Dead Man

LOL, I just broke one of the clips for the fan when trying to reposition it. Not completely, but only one half of it it is retaining the fan now. Still, no noise from it, so good to go I think. What a shamble.

The one good thing about trains is they tend to wait for their scheduled departure time, unlike buses. Lucky I was there early.

Indeed. My most hated experience when I worked in the city was watching a bus leave before I got to the stop, checking my watch, and seeing it was either leaving 5 minutes early or 10 minutes late.

Dead Man

Can anyone explain why they didn't ask the person who MADE the comment in this to remove it, rather than the person on whose page it appeared?

http://www.zdnet.com/border-protection-forces-facebook-content-removal-through-twitter-7000028124/
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has succeeded in having a member of the public remove a post from her Facebook wall that a spokesperson has said targeted a staff member within the department.

On Friday, in a series of Tweets from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's official Twitter account, the department asked Vanessa Powell, a teacher and a volunteer on community radio, to remove a Facebook post that "contains an offensive remark directed at a staff member" from a man named George Georgiadis.
"In this instance, the department made a request to a Facebook account owner on April 4, bringing to her attention a comment on one of her posts — which at the time could be viewed publicly — contained an offensive remark directed at a DIBP staff member. The department requested that it be removed immediately."

Buses that leave early are why fascists win power. Pisses people off.

Busses that leave early are one of the most persuasive arguments for the death penalty that exists.

Bus drivers are in urgent fuckin' need of full automation. Instead of a driver just have a security guy in the front and have the thing 100% computer controlled. All public transit should be permanently networked and there should be gov apps that tell you whether busses are currently on time or not, and how far away the next one is approximately based on your GPS location.

Why did I agree to help someone with an assignment 19 days into a 21 day roster after a full day of work? I must be crazy.

In other news, my new company has a development program. Huh.

hamchan

I feel like buying that Don Bradman cricket game, even though I can't remember the last time I played a good cricket game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom