• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
My launch PS4 now straddles two dvd cases since a design flaw has the console sitting on the eject button

Wow that's super odd, hadn't heard of that one before. I have mind laying flat and haven't had any issue with the eject button (aside from finding the right spot to press for it to eject initially).

Wow that's super odd, hadn't heard of that one before. I have mind laying flat and haven't had any issue with the eject button (aside from finding the right spot to press for it to eject initially).

there's a few people with the same issue with everyone having different solutions such as powering down the system and unplugging from the wall for three minutes, taking off the shiny bit on the left and tightening a screw on the DVD drive (as you would if the thing was dead and you neeed to remove a disc). For a while, mine seemed to be fixed by me dusting around the console and in particular the switch. but taht would come back every now and then, others recommend removing the rubber strip on the bottom of the eject switch. It was just this week that I heard about teh fact that for some people, the eject button seems to be triggered on a flat surface and that raising the console off the surface so that the area directly underneath the eject button doesn't make contact with any surface. This seems to be working for now.

Taking a break from AC:U on PS4 to play Ryse for a bit. Ryse has some awesomely fun combat compared to AC or SoM.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm sure I can google but I wanted to ask for first hand experience.

Money overseas, How does it work accessing your own back at home? Is there a bank / card / whatever that is generally better than everyone else?

Money overseas, How does it work accessing your own back at home? Is there a bank / card / whatever that is generally better than everyone else?

my 2c

Aust Post is really good for getting cash to take with you before hand. good rates (but you need a few days to get the money since they send away for it.

You'll get better rates for the aussie dollar in Australia than you will OS.

You can probably use your cashcard in foreign ATMs. there will be a charge to use (like $2-5 at the ATM, and possibly on your account, plus exchange.

Using a credit card to get a cash advance OS is not a great value proposition for you. It's great for the banks, though.

No matter what people tell you, your credit card will get charged. Some so a decent exchange rate, then charge you a foreign exchange fee on top, others won't charge you a fee but will give you a shittier rate. A good way to work out how your current finances work is to check your statements for any OS purchases, you can use this to work out how much your cc charges
http://www.xe.com/creditcard-charges-calculator/

you can also get pre-loaded currency cards if you want to "lock in the rate" some are better than others and they're safer than large scads of cash. They also replaced traveller's cheques.

also, important to remember, that exchange rate you hear about on the evening news, or on business news sites or whereever you hear about the state of the aussie dollar? That's called the mid-market rate. It's nigh on impossible to actually get any business to give you that rate. If you find a conversion that's less than 3c less than mid-market, you're doing well.

I'm sure someone will chime in and say everything I posted is wrong so whatevs.

Just finished Wasteland 2. Clocks in at 62 hours, so for $15 I got my money's worth. Enjoyed it a lot. A few bugged quests I couldn't finish (even after they were apparently patched last week). Probably too combat heavy.

In Europe you'll be able to use a Visa or Mastercard credit card virtually everywhere if you have one, the fees (except for cash advances) aren't unreasonable.

But then, I'm lazy and just take wads of cash out at the ATM (maybe 4-5 days worth) and store it in a few places. Going through all the fuss of getting special 'travel cards' or changing a whole bunch of money is basically a gamble IMO on the currency fluctuations, so why bother about a few dollars here and there and just enjoy your trip instead. That's my outlook anyway.

28 degrees - credit card
Citibank plus - debit card

Both don't charge transactions/account fees, and the exchange rates are ridiculously close to the spot rate, you won't find better.

do you mean both or pick one? also what is the catch then?

No catch with 28 degrees. If you buy things from overseas I'd recommend getting one anyway since there are no fees and the exchange rate is probably the best you can get.

Saves me tons of money in the long run, especially if you are buying steamkeys all the time.

Jintor

Man I miss AU

shan, deek, other out of countriers, how do you cope?

goddamnit i really should've learnt the language properly first

Jintor

u wot m8

actually you kind of get more australian the further away from australia you go. I keep ending sentences with mate accidentally

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
u wot m8

actually you kind of get more australian the further away from australia you go. I keep ending sentences with mate accidentally
Know that feel. In Germany it took all my strength to not say mate or cunt any chance I had. Ha

Jintor

hilariously one of the two americans in town has no problems throwing around the word 'retarded' or any other innumerable minor slurs but freaked out the first time I told someone that if I really considered them a good friend I would call them a cunt

Deeku

Man I miss AU

I don't really miss AU much:/ lol

I facetime/skype with my sis/parents quite often so maybe that helps? I dunno, like, I've been looking at apartments every weekend recently, and am pretty much set on staying here longer term...

What are you finding hard though?

Darren870

hilariously one of the two americans in town has no problems throwing around the word 'retarded' or any other innumerable minor slurs but freaked out the first time I told someone that if I really considered them a good friend I would call them a cunt

Haha, I never really thought retarded was a taboo word. Used to used it all the time growing up. Wasn't till I moved overseas that I noticed it wasn't used.

Darklord

Banned
Damn it, I hardly ever get invited to parties. Today a group really wants me to party with them at a big house party...which is about an hours drive or more away. :\

Why does Melbourne have to be spread so far?!

Jintor

I don't really miss AU much:/ lol

I facetime/skype with my sis/parents quite often so maybe that helps? I dunno, like, I've been looking at apartments every weekend recently, and am pretty much set on staying here longer term...

What are you finding hard though?

I think probably it helps that you're working in a field you feel competent in and your chinese is probably good enough to get stuff done lol. I feel like an infant here, probably because that's where my language levels are at.

Wat country u in may i ask?

glorious nippon

Darren870

Damn it, I hardly ever get invited to parties. Today a group really wants me to party with them at a big house party...which is about an hours drive or more away. :\

Why does Melbourne have to be spread so far?!

Where in Melbourne do you live Darkloard?

Deeku

I think probably it helps that you're working in a field you feel competent in and your chinese is probably good enough to get stuff done lol. I feel like an infant here, probably because that's where my language levels are at.
Ah ok, yeah true. I mean, on top of that HK is very expat friendly. I guess if you were in, say, Tokyo it would probably be a lot easier?

Does JET have like mentors or like a JET network type thing? Hanging with people that are in your exact same situation would be helpful I reckon.

Jintor

Ah ok, yeah true. I mean, on top of that HK is very expat friendly. I guess if you were in, say, Tokyo it would probably be a lot easier?

Does JET have like mentors or like a JET network type thing? Hanging with people that are in your exact same situation would be helpful I reckon.

Oh yeah we have dinners every wednesday and basically go out every weekend. That and my UNLIMITED INTERNET are basically the only things keeping me fully sane I reckon.

r1chard

Great LAN party yesterday. Lots of CS:GO and TF2 action. I showed off DA:I when bloody Origin would let me bloody play it (the LAN only has a 3G connection to the Internet to allow DRM auth and apparently Origin is really poorly coded and doesn't cope with a crappy connection, surprise).

Of course Valve put out a CS:GO update about 3pm. I miss the days when offline actually worked :/

CS:GO was giving me the pains though - was most likely the multicore rendering. When it was on, I got horrible lag spikes in any sort of gunfight. Off, I was just dying due to my own incompetence and not lag :)

markot

Banned
Oh yeah we have dinners every wednesday and basically go out every weekend. That and my UNLIMITED INTERNET are basically the only things keeping me fully sane I reckon.

Where is Japan are you? Some lame place like Fukushima?

Also in Australia is custom to have dinner every night. So thats weird. What do they do have big lunches?

Man I miss AU

I guess regular skyping with people helped a lot, plus sometimes I found I just really needed comfort food. Are there any foreign food places in your area? Having actual bread with like, avocado or vegemite and heinz tomato soup is so under rated >< Other than that, the best way to combat homesickness is probably going out and doing stuff. Sightseeing, buying neat things, visiting exhibitions, stuff to keep you from thinking about home and remind you why you came to Japan. How far away is Osaka/ Kyoto? They can make fun afternoon/day trips. Don't worry too much about the language, I think everyone feels that way no matter how long they've been studying.

I'm starting to get horrible reverse homesickness about the weirdest things. I just want to eat convenience store onigiri or visit temples or go to class or go to sushiro ;.;

Where is Japan are you? Some lame place like Fukushima?

Jint is in Kansai iirc. Aka The Best region.

Gazunta

Whooo just saw the Supanova Brisbane floor plans - everything looks really nicely laid out! You'll be able to visit the Blow The Cartridge table on your way to get some celebrity autographs, and then visit fellow BrisGAF's Bulbagarden table and say OH WHOOPS I ALREADY SPENT ALL MY MONEY AT GAZUNTA'S TABLE and then we'll all laugh and have a beer afterwards at the BrisGAF thingy Sunday night
assuming I haven't died of exhaustion by then

Whooo just saw the Supanova Brisbane floor plans
They better fix those up soon. They've still got the table sizes for my wife's table and Bulbagarden's swapped, and haven't put us together like we'd requested months ago...

and then we'll all laugh and have a beer afterwards at the BrisGAF thingy Sunday night
assuming I haven't died of exhaustion by then
Wait, wasn't it going to be Saturday night? Sunday night you and I will have to be packing our tables up.

(As it is, I won't be there on the Sunday during the day. Double-booked with an academic conference, so it'll just be a few helpers of mine minding the table that day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom