• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

I think we've dropped the egalitarianism in pursuit of the American dream.

Tell me which one you think is more applicable to Australia:

Everyone can have success if they work hard enough.
Or...
Everyone should work harder at fighting inequality.
You make a fair point, but funnily enough we are (for now) far better at enabling the American Dream than America is. I can only hope we don't follow them off a cliff and manage to keep it that way.

You make a fair point, but funnily enough we are (for now) far better at enabling the American Dream than America is. I can only hope we don't follow them off a cliff and manage to keep it that way.

Well yeah, the ability for the most disadvantaged to achieve success is inherently limited if inequality is too great. That's how power spirals and institutional disadvantage work.

Also the idea that everyone can achieve anything reasonably called success if they try hard enough is a bit of a philosophical conundrum in itself since if everyone achieves success the net relative effect is a break even so did anyone actually succeed ?

Apparently someone called 000 in Canberra to report that Barnaby Joyce had gone bright red during question time and genuinely thought he was ill. They said he was an adult [Barnaby] and could call his own ambulance.

I don't think Trump being rich is a selling point to most who voted for him.

They voted for him as a 'fuck you' to Washington. He was the first guy in years to say their pain was real, and he'd go in and fuck shit up.

His supporters were/are able to rationalise away traditional political weaknesses (eg him being rich/an asshole/racist/dumb/unstable etc) because the thrust of what he said was appealing enough to them.

Palmer was a similar phenomenon here, except with less anger at Canberra than Americans feel at Washington (still some, we hated Gillard and Abbott), much less of a message and in a non-presidential system he needed to lead a party, which he of course could not lead effectively. The primary process in the US allowed Trump to take over a party.

It was anger at Washington that enabled Trump, nothing else IMO. There was another character who said people's pain was real and we needed a resolution, he ran in the other primary, but he just didn't have fame or financial backing initially and so couldn't overcome the party's long term plan to coronate a particular candidate.
Being rich can be a point of strength. I've heard "running a billion dollar business gives him the leadership skills he needs to run a country" enough over 2016 to say that with confidence. But yes, he ran on anger at Washington... and racism. Anger motivated by racism too.

Also, this isn't a knock against you, but rather at political journalists who made it a thing. "Coronate" is not the verb form of coronation. The word everyone was looking for last year was "crown". The Democrats wanted to crown Clinton and make the primary a coronation.

Not normally a prescriptivist, but it always sounded wrong to me.

I'll laugh my ass off if they do that and he still loses his seat. Then they'll have lost 3 seats.

They don't hold 2 of the 3 seats they asked to canabilize. One was Wyatt Roy's and the other is Wayne Swan's (ie ALP). Its only one sitting member they are potentially sacrificing, the rest is more sacrificing a seat that should have been relatively easy to take back and a seat that was drifting towards being winnable to shore up Dutton.

Adani has announced that its big mine has been given the green light... Except it's really just for show since they still haven't gained investment funding for the mine itself or the rail project needed for it. And those fucking quilsings in Queensland Labor says it'll be good for jobs... About a hundred jobs, maybe? Two-hundred? Very small amount of actual jobs, anyone who says otherwise is a fucking liar.

Seriously, why are they trying to build an economically nonviable mining project? Fucking insanity.

Adani has announced that its big mine has been given the green light... Except it's really just for show since they still haven't gained investment funding for the mine itself or the rail project needed for it. And those fucking quilsings in Queensland Labor says it'll be good for jobs... About a hundred jobs, maybe? Two-hundred? Very small amount of actual jobs, anyone who says otherwise is a fucking liar.

Seriously, why are they trying to build an economically nonviable mining project? Fucking insanity.

Adani's own numbers were like 1650ish counting indirect jobs as well IIRC.

Apparently Andrew Bolt got into a bit of a fistfight today when some people sprayed shaving cream and glitter on him!

They don't hold 2 of the 3 seats they asked to canabilize. One was Wyatt Roy's and the other is Wayne Swan's (ie ALP). Its only one sitting member they are potentially sacrificing, the rest is more sacrificing a seat that should have been relatively easy to take back and a seat that was drifting towards being winnable to shore up Dutton.

It's Petrie, not Lilly, held by Lib Luke Howarth. He's on about the same margin of 1.55% as Dutton. Howarth actually got a swing to him at the last election making the move particularly brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if Dutton shifts to a safer seat before the next election if they don't get the redistribution they want.

Dutton was also going to make a "leadership credentials" speech on Monday to a big conservative study/lobby group but it was mysteriously cancelled at the last moment.

Apparently Andrew Bolt got into a bit of a fistfight today when some people sprayed shaving cream and glitter on him!

It's Petrie, not Lilly, held by Lib Luke Howarth. He's on about the same margin of 1.55% as Dutton. Howarth actually got a swing to him at the last election making the move particularly brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if Dutton shifts to a safer seat before the next election if they don't get the redistribution they want.

Dutton was also going to make a "leadership credentials" speech on Monday to a big conservative study/lobby group but it was mysteriously cancelled at the last moment.

I thought Petrie was the 3rd seat they asked to cannabilse (and the one they held of those 3) ?

mjontrix

VMa9Nnm.gif

Theresa May tried to pull a Malcolm Turnbull... and ended up pulling a Malcolm Turnbull.

It might be time for Tories world wide to stop calling Lynton Crosby and Mark Textor. Massive loss in Canada, London Mayoral loss, Turned a safe majority into a wafer thin 1 seat buffer in Australia and now Maybot will likely be in minority or wafer thin majority as well and probably get rolled internally.

"Strong and Stable"
"Continuity and Change"
"Protect the economy"

pointless crap

Meanwhile Chris Bowen is desperately misrepresenting universal basic income as a "handout to millionaires" despite UBW basically requiring higher taxes on the rich by necessity.

This isn't terribly surprising considering Bowen is in the right-wing faction and has been trying to shoo off demands for a Buffet rule as well, but it's low for him to also speak blatant lies about UBW.

I mean it's true but misleading. Millionaire's would get the UBI. They'd just lose more on the necessarily more steep progressive tax system (since taxing below the UBI threshold would be nuts) than they'd gain from it.

It might be time for Tories world wide to stop calling Lynton Crosby and Mark Textor. Massive loss in Canada, London Mayoral loss, Turned a safe majority into a wafer thin 1 seat buffer in Australia and now Maybot will likely be in minority or wafer thin majority as well and probably get rolled internally.

"Strong and Stable"
"Continuity and Change"
"Protect of economy"

pointless crap

Hey. While they are fucking up other people's Elections we don't have to put up with them. Encourage more use of them not less. Emphasize they got Turnbull and May government not the other part.

D.Lo

Meanwhile Chris Bowen is desperately misrepresenting universal basic income as a "handout to millionaires" despite UBW basically requiring higher taxes on the rich by necessity.

This isn't terribly surprising considering Bowen is in the right-wing faction and has been trying to shoo off demands for a Buffet rule as well, but it's low for him to also speak blatant lies about UBW.
What the fuck Bowen.

I get the “ensuring dignity through work for Australians” - that is an ideological position that can be argued.

But the millionaires thing is misleading enough to be a lie. I mean technically they would get it but they would pay far more than it in tax if they earn a lot.

danm999

"Strong and Stable"
"Continuity and Change"
"Protect the economy"

pointless crap

They don't give out jobs on merit they give it to who they know. If they didn't do that they wouldn't be Tories.

Shandy

"and the rights and protections of the vast, overwhelming majority of Australians"
*Does not include right to privacy

Do they think all those NSA tools getting out was a one-time thing? Get a clue, pollies: What you're asking for is deliberate, built-in vulnerabilities. They will be exploited. People are going to suffer when they are. You cannot stand on a platform of cybersecurity and also advocate these measures.

I really hate the magic key idiocy. First you assemble an atom without the strong nuclear force , then we can look into encryption that can be broken at will by an actor without sabotaging it's security.

Oh something I did not expect and that makes the Senate even more "interesting" in terms of what kind of legislation can get through.

Lucy Gichuhi (the formerly Family First replacement for Bob Day and now Independent following Bernadi eating Family First) voted for looser* control on medical marijuana (moving it from Schedule B to A).

One Nation also voted for it, but that's unsurprising, since they've made previous moves / declarations in that direction.

The only crossbench allies the Government had were NXT and Bernadi.

I don't think any of the others are at all surprising though (maybe Hinch depending on how you read him ? But it didn't surprise me.)

*Technically I believe it was vote to disallow tighter control in regulation but tomato / potato.

Looks like Greg Hunt, Michael Sukkar and Alan Tudge might be in a spot of bother. They are being required to front the Victorian Supreme court on Friday to explain why they shouldn't be charged with contempt over criticising the court of sentencing of Terrorisim charges.

The extraordinary order follows comments published in The Australian in which the senior ministers blasted the Victorian judiciary for handing down lighter sentences for terrorists as part of "ideological experiments".

mjontrix

Looks like Greg Hunt, Michael Sukkar and Alan Tudge might be in a spot of bother. They are being required to front the Victorian Supreme court on Friday to explain why they shouldn't be charged with contempt over criticising the court of sentencing of Terrorisim charges.

Looks like the AFP are about to charge the entire Victorian Supreme Court with something :)

Looks like the AFP are about to charge the entire Victorian Supreme Court with something :)

I think Dutton is getting Border Force ready to either deport or indefinitely detain them (the Judges not the AFP. Though if he though he could get Border Force to take over for the AFP as a result I suspect he'd do that too).

r1chard

50% chance the three are in the poo according to Insiders this morning.

https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/876229253733376000

As someone for whom Sukkar *was* my representative until a year or so ago, and who I tried to contact about issues with zero success, I say bring it to the bastard.

50% chance the three are in the poo according to Insiders this morning.

https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/876229253733376000

As someone for whom Sukkar *was* my representative until a year or so ago, and who I tried to contact about issues with zero success, I say bring it to the bastard.

I love how they eventually withdrew their comments but refused to apologise. "I'm a tory and I'm right under all circumstances" to the very end. I didn't have a chance to see Insiders this morning but even Barnaby wasn't his usual self and declined to comment. It's clear someone's legal advice in Government is for everyone to just STFU.

What happens if the three are actually prosecuted? Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a sitting MP to stay in their position while actively being prosecuted. While I doubt their seats will get flipped in a by-election, that's still three lower-house seats out of commission for a while, leaving the government without a majority.

What happens if the three are actually prosecuted? Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a sitting MP to stay in their position while actively being prosecuted. While I doubt their seats will get flipped in a by-election, that's still three lower-house seats out of commission for a while, leaving the government without a majority.

Basically:

Constitutional provisions

A person is incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a Member of the House of Representatives if the person:

- is a subject or citizen of a foreign power or is under an acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign power;
- is attainted (convicted) of treason;
- has been convicted and is under sentence or subject to be sentenced for an offence punishable by imprisonment for one year or longer under a State or Commonwealth law;
- is an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent;
- holds any office of profit under the Crown or any pension payable during the pleasure of the Crown out of any Commonwealth revenues (but this does not apply to:
Commonwealth Ministers
State Ministers
officers or members of the Queen’s Armed Forces in receipt of pay, half-pay or pension
officers or members of the Armed Forces of the Commonwealth in receipt of pay but whose services are not wholly employed by the Commonwealth); or
- has any direct or indirect pecuniary interest in any agreement with the Commonwealth Public Service in any way other than as a member in common with other members of an incorporated company consisting of more than 25 persons.

No way would anyone get 1 year for contempt, Hinch got 12 days, 5 months home detention and 50 days and on all three occasion he could have gotten away with an apology or paying a fine to avoid most of or all of the sentence but took a 'principled' stance. I can't imagine these 3 clowns not rolling over and grovelling an apology if faced with any time at all.

Basically:

No way would anyone get 1 year for contempt, Hinch got 12 days, 5 months home detention and 50 days and on all three occasion he could have gotten away with an apology or paying a fine to avoid most of or all of the sentence but took a 'principled' stance. I can't imagine these 3 clowns not rolling over and grovelling an apology if faced with any time at all.

Ineligibility uses the maximum sentence for an offence to determine if you're disqualified (which is why Culleton was disqualified despite not having a sentence let alone one over a year) . I'm not sure if contempt counts though since it's an odd duck duration wise (contempt can be indefinite if you persistently refuse to obey a court order). It seems like it would though since it eminates from a law and has a defined maximum*. The prohibition expires once the sentence is served though.

*Depending on jurisdiction and court seniority though, the maximum may be too short. Local courts in Melbourne are limited to 6 months for example.

So George Christensen crossed the floor to vote with Labor on penalty rates, which caused the government to briefly panic and scramble to avoid another vote loss like that humiliating vote loss early in the term.

Also, Labor is likely going to oppose the proposed citizenship changes.

Not so far, maybe Hinch was hearing voices?

Hunt, Sukkar and Tudge having gone to ground this week have clearly realised that they could be in serious trouble and will offer a grovelling apology on Friday.

Lulz, someone realised that in the unlikely event they lost all 3 by Elections it'd be Goodbye, Election at best.

I'm surprised they didn't rely on the Murdoch hound pack to make hitting them with contempt problematic though.

Lulz, someone realised that in the unlikely event they lost all 3 by Elections it'd be Goodbye, Election at best.

I'm surprised they didn't rely on the Murdoch hound pack to make hitting them with contempt problematic though.

They are on margins of 7.77%, 5.68% and 8.59% respectively and considering since the election Newspoll is reporting about a 3.5% swing away from them I assume there has been just enough panic behind the scenes that there is a chance, however unlikely, of bi-elections and they have been told to take their medicine. I wonder if they will turn up in person this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom