• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Bang up job, Tudge:
DD3ccf_VwAAyZv8.jpg

DD3ceLRVoAAISPF.jpg

DD3cfshU0AAH9Xe.jpg

DD3chpKV0AEnPzw.jpg

Courtesy of Josh Taylor via Twitter.

Man, Tudge made almost no definite claims or statements about the situation there. Most of it was 'That is the procedure' type answers.

A Liberal Party source who attended Monday night's meeting said the audience of about 200 was "basically in raptures" at the end of Mr Abbott's presentation.

"He is definitely on the war path," the source said. "I have never seen him speaking so well or looking so good."

latest

It's a full on campaign now. First the Pyne leak from a "moderate" function by I assume an infiltrator done to hurt Turnbull and his faction/grouping and now a leak from an obviously conservative meeting clearly orchestrated. It's not subtle politics.

Only Abbot would genuinely think he not only has a chance of coming back but actually winning the next election. The reason for dumping Rudd was never clear to the public and Rudd still had a decent level of support in the public. Abbott has never had any support in the public and the whole country breathed a sign of relief at his dumping because we all knew he was a complete dud.

danm999

They're at least going to make the attempt to unseat Turnbull before the next election it seems. Doubt they'd be successful since Abbott, Dutton et all have demonstrated they could fuck up a cup of coffee but it'll dispel any illusion Turnbull has control.

Or maybe the right want to go back to Opposition so long as they "save" the soul of their party.

Shaneus

It's a full on campaign now. First the Pyne leak from a "moderate" function by I assume an infiltrator done to hurt Turnbull and his faction/grouping and now a leak from an obviously conservative meeting clearly orchestrated. It's not subtle politics.

Only Abbot would genuinely think he not only has a chance of coming back but actually winning the next election. The reason for dumping Rudd was never clear to the public and Rudd still had a decent level of support in the public. Abbott has never had any support in the public and the whole country breathed a sign of relief at his dumping because we all knew he was a complete dud.
I am absolutely flabbergasted at just how closely this follows EXACTLY what happened to the ALP not even a fucking decade ago. Abbot & co. really are clueless in addition to being completely fucking useless.

D.Lo

I am absolutely flabbergasted at just how closely this follows EXACTLY what happened to the ALP not even a fucking decade ago. Abbot & co. really are clueless in addition to being completely fucking useless.
I know what you mean, but this is much worse.

Rudd was still generally well liked and was seen as having been shafted in the general public. He'd been swanning around making well regarded appearances on Q&A etc. He leaked stuff, but it was pretty well obfuscated to the public. Rudd's eventual actual comeback is generally seen as having saved the furniture for Labor that election, and IMO would even have been even more successful (ie won an election) if it had been earlier.

Abbott was a complete joke and there was a feeling of national relief when he was ditched. Despite the disappointment with Turnbull, nobody except the right wing loonies is actually pissed at him for rolling Abbott.

Unlike the Rudd comeback which actually helped Labor, if Abbott somehow came back it would be a catastrophic disaster for the Libs.

I know what you mean, but this is much worse.

Rudd was still generally well liked and was seen as having been shafted in the general public. He'd been swanning around making well regarded appearances on Q&A etc. He leaked stuff, but it was pretty well obfuscated to the public. Rudd's eventual actual comeback is generally seen as having saved the furniture for Labor that election, and IMO would even have been even more successful (ie won an election) if it had been earlier.

Abbott was a complete joke and there was a feeling of national relief when he was ditched. Despite the disappointment with Turnbull, nobody except the right wing loonies is actually pissed at him for rolling Abbott.

Unlike the Rudd comeback which actually helped Labor, if Abbott somehow came back it would be a catastrophic disaster for the Libs.

I kinda want Abbott to come back like just as the next election starts. I wanna see how low the polls can go. For science.

D.Lo

I kinda want Abbott to come back like just as the next election starts. I wanna see how low the polls can go. For science.
It wold kind of be hilarious.

My biggest fear is that Shorten gets in. Now that sounds harsh, and I'm pretty harsh on the dude who is in the grand scheme not that bad, but I think such another weak, poor-approval rating leader getting in will continue the public malaise, instability and mess the country is in.

Australia needs someone to inspire and unite behind, even just a little bit. If Shorten gets in at the next election with a net disapproval rating, just because Turnbull is disliked more, or because of LIbs infighting, he'll have no (soft) mandate and we'll feel like a country continuing to be adrift, despite Labor having broadly better policies. Labor probably wouldn't knife him, but if they continue to just trundle along like they are now they could then easily be rolled after a term or two by another Abbott type with a bit of fire in them.

I can't see it not being Shorten if Labor wins short of impossibility on Shorten's part.

If he was going to get rolled it'd have happened, either after the election or at the point when it became clear Labor's 2PP lead doesn't seem to be related to Shorten personally (his preferred PM , and approval rates are both historical anomalies for an opposition leader who's been winning 2PP by this margin for months). So short of some major change Shorten is safe.

D.Lo

Yes and hence my trepidation. I don't think he'll be a good PM.

The only positive there is that Labor has more talent, so the rest of the team may be able to sell what they're doing better than the spineless charisma-free muppet once they're in power and not invisible.

Jintor

albomania running wild!

i kid, i have no idea anymore. trump has pushed all thoughts of aussie politics out of my mind (beyond the basics of coal bad, refugee death camps still ongoing, libs can't stop fucking with the justice system)

albomania running wild!

i kid, i have no idea anymore. trump has pushed all thoughts of aussie politics out of my mind (beyond the basics of coal bad, refugee death camps still ongoing, libs can't stop fucking with the justice system)

Albo was pretty funny on SammyJ's show last night.

So the ATO withdrew Medicare Cards as valid ID yesterday due to concerns about there security and then reinstated them shortly after. Tudge still seems to have no idea what's going on.

The Medicare card as valid ID is probably mostly harmless in this case given the poor access speed and that you generally require a form of photo ID as well as 100 points. So it makes sense the ATO dropped it, investigated and decided it wasn't a huge issue.

Turns out our ABF Chief may have been having an affair with a junior ABF member and aided her in a job application. Honestly that's pretty low key compared to the kind of ethical abuses the Government has been willing to go to bat for the ABF over. Sleeping with a subordinate and nepotism are just so passe.

https://newmatilda.com/2017/07/06/w...annon-is-right-and-the-greens-are-in-trouble/

Well...that's an interesting little bit of Greens history I was unfamiliar with.

The democracy argument is a little weird here. Its impossibile to have a democratic federal party if the federal representatives can be democratically bound at the state level. You either lose the national democracy because binding states will always win or you lose the federal party and instead get as many groups as there are states. This isn't democracy on one side and not on the other , this is also NSW (internally democratically) preventing any other state from having functional federal representation which is hardly democratic at that level.

DrSlek

Party unity is paramount. We don't we are not Labor....we are not Labor.

....unless I'm not in charge!

danm999

It'll be interesting to see how the Coalition spins this one.

Obviously the idea is inherently terrible because it's coming from LABORRRRRR, but it'll be hard to portray an entrepreneurial savant like Musk as some sort of left wing anti-capitalist agitator.

Other problem is that any delays or construction problems the Coalition love to crow about mean its free so not very a good angle of attack.

I dunno, expect a lot more pieces about how lithium gives you cancer maybe.

mjontrix

It'll be interesting to see how the Coalition spins this one.

Obviously the idea is inherently terrible because it's coming from LABORRRRRR, but it'll be hard to portray an entrepreneurial savant like Musk as some sort of left wing anti-capitalist agitator.

Other problem is that any delays or construction problems the Coalition love to crow about mean its free so not very a good angle of attack.

I dunno, expect a lot more pieces about how lithium gives you cancer maybe.

Musk outplayed them.

Musk also has the international awareness so they can't try to screw him publically else they face the international wrath.

Once it's up and running what's likely is that they make a deal with the SA government to open a Tesla car factory in SA with some special subsidy/discount and manufacture Model 3 cars. Then pressure states/Federal government to offer subsidies for electric vehicles.

Musk outplayed them.

Musk also has the international awareness so they can't try to screw him publically else they face the international wrath.

Once it's up and running what's likely is that they make a deal with the SA government to open a Tesla car factory in SA with some special subsidy/discount and manufacture Model 3 cars. Then pressure states/Federal government to offer subsidies for electric vehicles.

Australia is also biggest producer of Lithium in world and while not the biggest producer of nickel, we have by far the biggest reserves. I know another company is planning a "gigafactory" to make batteries in Darwin to target the Asian market, maybe Musk is thinking the same.

Apparently this is huge news worldwide, clearly the coalition have gone into hiding on this one.

danm999

Musk outplayed them.

Good point on the Tesla factories. The cars of tomorrow marketing sells itself.

Apparently this is huge news worldwide, clearly the coalition have gone into hiding on this one.

Something something Snowy Hydro.

Jintor

i think i'm now accustomed to the fact that if we wait for the perfect right person to Say A Thing we'll be sitting here foerever

mjontrix

Australia is also biggest producer of Lithium in world and while not the biggest producer of nickel, we have by far the biggest reserves. I know another company is planning a "gigafactory" to make batteries in Darwin to target the Asian market, maybe Musk is thinking the same.

Good point on the Tesla factories. The cars of tomorrow marketing sells itself.

Something something Snowy Hydro.

Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes is likely the person who assisted Musk in getting around the Coalition and building such a good plan to beat them. They're (Musk and Cannon-Brookes) probably buddies at this point.

And from a quick google search indeed it was - https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...-problem-and-elon-musks-plan-to-fix-it-2017-3

Mike Cannon-Brookes, co-founder of Atlassian, is the man to thank for stoking the fire under Elon Musk’s plan the fix Australia’s energy problems.

In just a couple of working days Cannon-Brookes has navigated the political landscape to get Musk in contact with the Australian prime minister and premier of South Australia, and created enough hype on Twitter than he has been deluded with expressions of support from the Australian business community.

Didn't know about the reserves we have - that's also a good point. You sorta need the batteries and cars in one place, and Australia is a perfect place for solar panels and battery storage so this works even better.

Fredescu

i think i'm now accustomed to the fact that if we wait for the perfect right person to Say A Thing we'll be sitting here foerever

No one should wait. Everyone should listen to his two minutes on Trump and the G20. It's bang on.

We should also prevent him being deified by pointing out what a turd he is normally while he is going viral.

Everybody loves Chris Uhlmann for his insightful takedown of Donald Trump.

5 seconds later.

We regret to inform you Chris Uhlmann is a bigot.

Uhlmann is also a blatant fossil fuels shill (he desperately tried to go out of his way to blame the SA blackout on renewables despite all evidence saying otherwise). The man has no right to have a job at the ABC.

danm999

Ok that's a better version of my joke.

No one should wait. Everyone should listen to his two minutes on Trump and the G20. It's bang on.

We should also prevent him being deified by pointing out what a turd he is normally while he is going viral.

Uhlmann is also a blatant fossil fuels shill (he desperately tried to go out of his way to blame the SA blackout on renewables despite all evidence saying otherwise). The man has no right to have a job at the ABC.

He's a broken clock on the Trump issue.

Honestly,a pretty obvious mostly conservative at the ABC is probably a good thing, considering about 3/4s of the Liberals and 97% of their media and think tanks think it's full of CommieEcoNazis out to bring about the fall of Australia and it's noble Western European Christian Capitaliat Values.

I have no idea how Turnbull and Co think accessing End to End encryption without a backdoor is possible. I mean by definition it is not. That's what end to end means, that the decryption keys exist only where they are needed.

This is either moronic of a standard surpassing the complete lack of technological understanding usually displayed by Government or wilfully deceitful in pretending it's possible in order to mislead the public.

Quasar

I have no idea how Turnbull and Co think accessing End to End encryption without a backdoor is possible. I mean by definition it is not. That's what end to end means, that the decryption keys exist only where they are needed.

This is either moronic of a standard surpassing the complete lack of technological understanding usually displayed by Government or wilfully deceitful in pretending it's possible in order to mislead the public.

A bit of both.

Though I think you'll find with some systems platform holders are sitting on keys for ease of use purposes, like Apple.

That said even if the 5 Eyes required such access, it would only be with a subset of services so anyone who cared about privacy would just use a service outside that. Its not like they can ban math.

A bit of both.

Though I think you'll find with some systems platform holders are sitting on keys for ease of use purposes, like Apple.

That said even if the 5 Eyes required such access, it would only be with a subset of services so anyone who cared about privacy would just use a service outside that. Its not like they can ban math.

You can't sit on decryption keys in E2E encryption (at least not while still really being E2E, theres nothing physically stopping copying the keys from the device of course but it wouldn't be E2E if some third party had that) . They never leave the device they are generated on, it's the encryption keys that are shared. You can build in some kind of master key into the trust chain (and some companies probably do) but thats actually a backdoor anyway.

Yeah, nothing stopping people doing
manual encoding/decoding with One Time Pads if they are serious.

Dead Man

Interesting read from AFR.

http://www.afr.com/business/bruce-b...-turnbulls-new-franchise-laws-20170709-gx7n0c

Enter Billson, who has been nothing short of Olympian in his efforts to try and derail the bill – or get some aspects of it diluted.

His February 24 email to Hockey, lists a series of US concerns likely to be raised with Hockey or Julie Bishop. He lists some suggested responses and makes the comment that the proposed legislative changes were little more than a reaction "to extensive media coverage of cases of underpayment by 7-Eleven franchisees of workers (many of whom were student visa holders with weekly caps on hours able to be work) and where irregular work arrangements, often that served the interests of both the visa holder and franchisee, were the focus of sustained media attention".

Billson tells Hockey: "[Not for sharing]: I have seen an early version of internal IFA [the International Franchise Association] guidance to its members suggesting to US systems contemplating major investments in Australia to 'suspend all new business starts and investment in Australia' until the impact of the planned 'joint employer 'laws can be fully assessed and for franchise system to consider Canada and New Zealand as attractive alternatives."

Billson told the Financial Review that his emails and texts to Hockey shouldn't be read as a warning of a potential diplomatic event. He says after speaking with the IFA and listening to their concerns he felt he should warn the ambassador that their issues might be raised during his visit to the White House. "The last thing you want is surprises," he said.

A government source said no representations were made to government members from Washington.
Fascinating insight

Other eyebrow-raising comments made to Hockey and backbenchers was that the responsible Minister (Michaelia Cash) has "assured the FCA that the Government is seeking to prepare legislation" that the FCA can "live with/begrudgingly endorse".

In an email to backbenchers on February 27, ahead of a crucial party room meeting to discuss the draft bill, he writes: "The Government is insistent on legislating but the Minister has said she we prefer an amendment that may earn the endorsement or begrudging acceptance by the FCA in light of what the Senate might do to the Bill if differing views continue."

In light of subsequent events, this was obviously not the case.

On March 1, the Bill was introduced into parliament in a form the FCA didn't support.

Quasar

You can't sit on decryption keys in E2E encryption (at least not while still really being E2E, theres nothing physically stopping copying the keys from the device of course but it wouldn't be E2E if some third party had that) . They never leave the device they are generated on, it's the encryption keys that are shared. You can build in some kind of master key into the trust chain (and some companies probably do) but thats actually a backdoor anyway.

Yeah, nothing stopping people doing
manual encoding/decoding with One Time Pads if they are serious.

Sure with true e2e....but my understanding was for instance with iMessage it isn't. Thats whats I was referring to.

Anyway looks like Brandis is going for it, no surprise.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...d-to-decrypt-messages-fight-terrorism/8707748

Seems almost like security theatre to me.

Quasar

'almost'. It's either that or sheer incompetence. Not sure which I prefer.

Well I mean if they do get FB and Google to play along its more than theatre in that they would get access to private communications. So thats more than pure theatre.

Though any sensible criminal would be using other tools.

As for ISIS, Don't they already have their own apps that would be encrypted that can be distributed via apk. I'd think any sophisticated organised crime group would follow that too. Build a custom encrypted messaging app for members. Of course they'd still have to be wary of LE getting access to said apps.

And then of course there's the non crime impacts, such as encrypted messaging services deciding to withdraw from Australia.

Dead Man

Well I mean if they do get FB and Google to play along its more than theatre in that they would get access to private communications. So thats more than pure theatre.

Though any sensible criminal would be using other tools.

As for ISIS, Don't they already have their own apps that would be encrypted that can be distributed via apk. I'd think any sophisticated organised crime group would follow that too. Build a custom encrypted messaging app for members. Of course they'd still have to be wary of LE getting access to said apps.

And then of course there's the non crime impacts, such as encrypted messaging services deciding to withdraw from Australia.

Yeah, that's sort of why it's theatre. Anyone who wants strong encryption can use it, no matter what the government mandates. There is no way to stop people using encryption. You can make it less convenient sure, but if someone is invested in operational security like any good terrorist should be then there are dozens of other platforms available that are only marginally less convenient than FB.

But I get your point about it being more than theatre too if they get access to data they want.

And the odds of FB making a back door just for Australia seem pretty slim to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom