• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia (Cairns) stabbing: Eight Children found stabbed to death in home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

UPDATE 3

Link to video police conference

https://twitter.com/QPSmedia/status/545781037679132673

UPDATE 2:

Queensland police say no threat to public after stabbing in Cairns. Suggests they are not looking for a suspect.

RE https://twitter.com/JonDonnison/status/545785090890944514

UPDATE:

Breaking News said:
Police: 34-year-woman in stable condition after being removed from Cairns, Queensland, home where bodies of 8 children found; woman not in police custody and is helping with investigation - live video

Original:

BBC News said:
Eight children have been found stabbed to death at a house in the city of Cairns in northern Queensland, say Australian police.

There are also reports that a woman has been taken to hospital with stab wounds.

Police have cordoned off the house and detectives are searching the yard of the property in the Manoora suburb.

The details of the incident, and the woman's relationship to the children, are not yet clear.

Queensland Police said in a statement they were called to a residence in Murray Street at 11.20 local time (01:20 GMT) following reports of a woman with serious injuries.

"During an examination of the residence police located the bodies of the children, all aged between 18 months and 15 years," said the statement.

"The woman, believed to be aged in her 30s, is receiving treatment for her injuries and is currently assisting police with their investigations."

ABC News said:
It is understood there was a mass stabbing and a 34-year-old woman has been injured.

Emergency crews were called to an address in Murray Street at Manoora around 11:20am (AEST) and a crime scene was declared.

"During an examination of the residence, police located the bodies of the children, all aged between 18 months and 15 years," police said in a statement.

"The woman is receiving treatment for her injuries and is currently assisting police with their investigations."

ABC reporter Sharnie Kim says there are police at the property, which has a small park at the back.

"There are about a dozen police vehicles at the scene including the region's most senior detective inspectors," she said.

"Part of the road has been blocked off and a police paddy wagon with lights flashing is at the property as well.

"The media are about 20 metres away from the property."

Police will hold a media briefing shortly.

NYT said:
Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar told reporters at the scene it was "a tragic, tragic event." He said detectives are speaking with neighbors and police had not determined the relationship between all of the children and the hospitalized woman.

But Lisa Thaiday, who said she was the woman's cousin, said the children were all siblings and that the woman was their mother. Thaiday said another sibling, a 20-year-old man, came home and found his brothers and sisters dead inside the house.

Queensland Police Statement:

B5MAKnqCYAA_Q-7.jpg:large

- BBC News
- ABC News
- NYT

.GqueB.

Banned
Weren't we cutting down on "bad thing happened come read about it" threads? Never thought I'd miss Man of Steel threads but there has been some somber news the last few weeks.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Thaiday, wonder if they are relations of Same Thaiday. His family is Townsville and Cairns I think.

Sam Thaiday is a professional rugby league player.

Dryk

Sounds like severe mental illness brought on by postpartum depression to me
I shouldn't speculate much more than I already have, but aye, taking care of 8 kids must weigh hard on a person. Hopefully if it wasn't her she knows what happened so police can quickly get to the bottom of it.

Volotaire

Updated the OP with numerous tweets and news tidbits removing the woman as a suspect (from the news updates saying she is removed from police custody), the video for the police conference and other details.

EDIT: does not mean she's not a suspect.

On the face of it this doesn't sound like terrorism. My money's on domestic violence.

Yeah, most likely domestic violence. Murray st is notorious for it (obviously not this extreme)... amongst other things that make it a place to avoid in Cairns. Taxi's won't even drive through the street.

Dead Man

Wait. She's not a suspect but they arent looking for a suspect?

Helping with investigation often means they are a suspect being questioned I think, she may just not be under arrest at the moment.

Whether it was her or somebody else, it's a fucking tragedy. I sort of hope she isn't the mother of all the kids.

Volotaire

Helping with investigation often means they are a suspect being questioned I think, she may just not be under arrest at the moment.

Whether it was her or somebody else, it's a fucking tragedy. I sort of hope she isn't the mother of all the kids.

Ah I see.

LQX

Ugh, read the title as eight chicken stabbed to death. My brain just could work it out to be children. We have some terrible fucking evil people walking this earth.

dejay

Banned
This is shocking. This really should get as much attention as the Sydney siege - we're always looking for evil strangers when often the killer is closer to home.

I'm assuming the killer is known to the family, if not the mother herself, because it fits the profile.

Dram

I'll never understand why these types of parents just don't kill themselves and leave their children out of it.

Dead Man

I'll never understand why these types of parents just don't kill themselves and leave their children out of it.

If logic entered into it they wouldn't do anything in the first place. Poor woman, poor kids, and poor fucking surviving sibling.

dejay

Banned
Settle down, I'm Australian to
I'm allowed to be disturbed by this

Sure, you're allowed to be disturbed, as you should be. Killing 8 children is fucked up.

My point was that the occasional incident doesn't represent humanity as a whole. There are horrible, disgusting people and there are amazing, beautiful people. Unfortunately, the news is heavily skewed towards the former, so you don't hear about the acts of kindness that happen every second in the world.

Sure, you're allowed to be disturbed, as you should be. Killing 8 children is fucked up.

My point was that the occasional incident doesn't represent humanity as a whole. There are horrible, disgusting people and there are amazing, beautiful people. Unfortunately, the news is heavily skewed towards the former, so you don't hear about the acts of kindness that happen every second in the world.

I agree, I really get annoyed by "I want to get off this planet" comments. There are way more people investigating these kind of crimes, than there are people that commit them. I want to stay firmly on this planet, who knows what kind of proportions we're talking about on another planet.

-Stranger-

Yeah fair enough, apologies.

Was just feeling like a lot of messed up **** has been happening lately.
Sydney Siege, School Massacre & now this.

Zukuu

Banned
What the...? What's wrong with people?! I can't understand how you could stab anyone, let alone children, let alone your OWN children. =/

dejay

Banned
Lack of empathy, extreme mental illness, and/or insanity?

I'm guessing with that many children, economic hardship may be a factor. Also, with five fathers involved, you could guess there's probably something awry with her anyway.

Jackson

What the...? What's wrong with people?! I can't understand how you could stab anyone, let alone children, let alone your OWN children. =/

She's obviously severely disturbed. Which is like 90% true for all mass killings. People who should have been given help (or been locked away from general society), but weren't and so they were just ticking time bombs waiting to cause others to suffer.

So sad.

I have two little girls. I can't fathom anything happening to such innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom