• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian sex abuse inquiry: Catholic Church admits celibacy may have contributed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-...elibacy-may-have-contributed-to-child/5962358

The Catholic Church has conceded that its vow of celibacy may have led to the abuse of children at the hands of the clergy.

The church's Truth, Justice and Healing Council to respond to the Royal Commission into child sexual abuse today released an activity report conceding that "obligatory celibacy" may have contributed to decades of child abuse involving the clergy, and that ongoing training was necessary for priests.

The council's chief executive officer Francis Sullivan said the training should include "psychosexual development".

"The proper training, formation, the proper understanding of psychosexual issues for individuals has been raised, and it's a no-brainer," Mr Sullivan said.

He said in the wake of the report even the most sacred traditions were up for discussion, but was not recommending that celibacy no longer be a requirement for priests.

"When we have a public inquiry into the sex crimes in the Catholic Church, you need to address how sexuality is understood and acted out by members of the clergy," Mr Sullivan said.

"You need a very clear understanding about your own sexuality, your own sexual development, your own way of relating as a person to others.

"That's called psychosexual education. Certainly in the past, there was none."

The report also stated the church turned a blind eye to abuse for decades, and that in the past, some of its leaders did not understand that the abuse of a child was a crime.

Victims of child sexual abuse have said the report does not go far enough to address the problem.

Nicky Davis from the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests said the Church should simply admit it had not handled complaints appropriately.

"The redress in a lot of cases was absolutely disgraceful and very very devious, and done in such a way to exploit the vulnerability and the damage that survivors had already suffered," Ms Davis said.

"Every case that I'm aware of involves church officials manipulating and deceiving survivors and putting them in a position where they have no choice but to accept a pittance.

"And the Church officials are aiming to provide as little redress as they can get away with."

The report acknowledged that survivors, as well as many Catholics and the broader community, felt the compensation offered to victims was not adequate - blaming a general lack of information about the Church's redress schemes.

The suggestion of a link between a priest's vow of celibacy and child sexual abuse has previously divided Australia's senior Catholic clergy.

Cardinal George Pell acknowledged there may be a connection in his evidence to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry last year.

But Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart vehemently denied any connection before the royal commission this year.

Title is a bit wonky due to the character limit, sorry. Be interesting to see if the Vatican has anything to say about this.

Archer

Catholic Church:

zzcDcCJ.gif

He said in the wake of the report even the most sacred traditions were up for discussion, but was not recommending that celibacy no longer be a requirement for priests.

Ok, good.

"You need a very clear understanding about your own sexuality, your own sexual development, your own way of relating as a person to others.

"That's called psychosexual education. Certainly in the past, there was none."

Fair enough.

some of its leaders did not understand that the abuse of a child was a crime

Aaaand you lost me.

Celibacy will be rolled back within 20 years. I believe the Byzantine Rite (or another one of the non-Latin ones) Catholics were just given the green light to ordain married priests in North America.

I just can't even....

It is shocking, but it's worth remembering wasn't a problem unique to religious groups. If you look at some of these cases from 30 - 50 years ago, you'll find several instances of parents and other adults reporting abuse to secular authorities and getting ignored or treated as if they were making a mere complaint.

Kettch

I doubt that it actually contributes much outside of the effect it has on the type of people who want the job. If you're attracted to adults, becoming a priest is a considerable sacrifice. If you're attracted to kids, you can't have a public relationship anyway, so it works fine. Better than fine really, since you get a great cover story for why don't have a wife.

ctothej

Does celibacy really make a difference? I mean if you're a pedophile... I don't think lack of sex will be your problem.

Seems more like paedophiles would be far more fond of an occupation that requires celibacy, rather than priests-turned-paedophiles. Suppose this still supports the idea that celibacy contributed. That being said, celibacy or not, paedophiles will commit atrocities and abuse children when in that seat of power nonetheless.

I just can't even...

lol, what the actual fuck. How is that even an excuse, surely that would fall under the 'sin' category (not that you need religion to know that harming others is vile).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom