• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria repeated presidential election: Far-right's Hofer defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I'll believe that result when the last vote has been counted after this undoubtedly crazy year, so out of curiosity, how much of the result has been counted, where has it been counted, and when on Monday will the official result be announced? (I'm busy with my own work right now, so that's why I'm asking).

84% have been counted so far (according to ORF).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How do your people view homosexuals?

Asking for a friend (hint it's me).

It got a lot better in recent years, but as I understand it it's far from perfect. IIRC you still can't marry a same-sex partner here. At least it's now legal to adopt a child but that only changed last year.

Yeah to get votes he represented himself as center left, all the pivoting seemed to work if people feel relieved that he won when in reality both candidates leave much to be desired. But that was clear before the polls even started.

Bollocks, again

I'll believe that result when the last vote has been counted after this undoubtedly crazy year, so out of curiosity, how much of the result has been counted, where has it been counted, and when on Monday will the official result be announced? (I'm busy with my own work right now, so that's why I'm asking).

78% has been counted and the margin of error is less than 1%, so there's no chance of an upset anymore. Hofer (far-right candidate) has conceded already.

Dingens

now they have a far left president

that guy is a neo-liberal in almost every sense of the word - and I'm talking about the official meaning, not the American one...

Seems like liberals finally realized they should turn out to vote. Finally some good news. I don't know why so many people followed Hofer in the first place, the government began strict refugee quotas and there aren't that many Muslims living in Austria for the far right to target and tar with the same brush with their hateful rhetoric anyway. And extremist Muslims there seem to be extremely few in number compared to France or something. [...]

the bolded isn't entirely correct... Those quotas are very generous and worded vaguely and there are many areas with a very large Muslim population. Those areas usually don't vote rightwing though.

edit:

please don't americanize the issue...

BigAl1992

78% has been counted and the margin of error is less than 1%, so there's no chance of an upset anymore. Hofer (far-right candidate) has conceded already.

OK, so that makes sense on why it's been called already by people, barring a massive swing in the remaining votes which is more pipe dream than reality. Still, I'll be interested in the breakdown of the vote once it's all counted, so if anyone from AustriaGAF can do that once the result is in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

They panic is way overblown, but we might be headed towards elections with Movimento 5 Stelle polling ahead of everyone else.

I'll take comfort in the high likelihood that even if a Five Star Movement-led government came to pass, it probably wouldn't last a year and collapse under its own incompetence (leading to another early election - again...). Thankfully, it's not like in the US where, if you elect the wrong president, you're irreversibly fucked for the next four years.

Radius

German TV claimed this was mostly the rural areas so far.

Hofer lost voters pretty much everywhere, losing majority in two states so far (Salzburg and - most likely - Lower Austria). [Edit: Oops, wrong: Hofer won Salzburg state by a 1,000 votes]

Update: 91% of votes counted so far - still 53.3% for van der Bellen

I'm really happy how this turned out and even more that 11 months of electoral campaigns have come to an end.

Austria > US. What world am I living in? Anyway, thank god for giving this worthless nazi-trash an extra 3% slap. Done my part.

Durante

91% counted now, with VdB almost 7% ahead.

Also, ~74% turnout, which is the highest in a presidential election since 1998.

Yeah to get votes he represented himself as center left, all the pivoting seemed to work if people feel relieved that he won when in reality both candidates leave much to be desired. But that was clear before the polls even started.
Actually, VdB doesn't really leave much to be desired at all in a president from where I'm standing.

And he doesn't just present himself as a centrist, that's very much what he is in his current positions.

Wow, good news in Western politics in 2016 for once.

91% counted now, with VdB almost 7% ahead.

Also, ~74% turnout, which is the highest in a presidential election since 1998.

Actually, VdB doesn't really leave much to be desired at all in a president from where I'm standing.

And he doesn't just present himself as a centrist, that's very much what he is in his current positions.

So after seeing how close it was last time,
Centrists and Left-wingers actually fucking turned out.

Dingens

there may be another hit against the right incoming
according to a dubious source (citing a non-dubious site) the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism apparently started an investigation against a misleading mass-sms
I can't confirm this though, since I can't verify the source.

But there is also the other illegal mass e-mail issue pounding... and that's official

edit:

wtf is wrong with American media?

This time, Hofer lost a lot more than in the first round. So either more people realized that the right wingers are a bad choice, or more people went to the election to lever him out.

Mivey

Seems my country hasn't completely lost its mind, yet.
Wonder if the right will accept the vote this time.

wbEMX

Good job, liebe Nachbarn! At least something good. Now, if we wouldn't vote for parties that are getting more far-right every day.... that would be nice. Bavaria never learns. :p

Seems my country hasn't completely lost its mind, yet.
Wonder if the right will accept the vote this time.
Didn't Hofer already accept the result in public?

wtf is wrong with American media?

Imho this is mainly due to the lack of a publicly funded broadcasting service, which insures that news reporting doesn't fall below a certain standard across the board. US news networks are pretty much a living proof that a democratic nation without a publicly funded broadcasting service is not a good thing.

Didn't Hofer already accept the result in public?

He did in the first round too, then a few days later, the FPOE sent their lawyers to get the supreme court to annul it, and succeeded.
That said, I think even the FPOE realizes that doing it again would harm them even more, especially considering the second round had a lot clearer loss for them. They would create an image of being bad losers who never can accept the results unless they go their way.

Nibel

The result is crazy; didn't expect this to be so much in favor for Van Der Bellen after the last voting

Good job neighbours

Missed this at first.
Homosexual Jew here.

In terms of rights, we have no marriage but a same-sex union. Same-sex couples are allowed to adopt children. There's anti-discrimination laws in effect. There's still some improvements to be made for fully equal rights, but the majority of the public seems to be for instituting them; the only obstacle is that the conservative party has been in power for a long time now, and even though a majority supports gay equality, they don't care with their "Christian values".

In terms of perception, it depends on where you go, just like about anywhere else. In bigger cities it's pretty much normalcy at this point, and nobody really cares (beyond maybe an odd look or two by old people), but in more rural areas, it might be a bit difficult, depending on where you are.
I grew up in a rural area, and while that is quite a few years back now, it was a painful experience to be known as gay. Been living in Vienna since I was 18, and I have never had any issues since then. Vienna also has several LGBT establishments (clubs/bars, political/support organizations, and so on).

Missed this at first.
Homosexual Jew here.

In terms of rights, we have no marriage but a same-sex union. Same-sex couples are allowed to adopt children. There's anti-discrimination laws in effect. There's still some improvements to be made for fully equal rights, but the majority of the public seems to be for instituting them; the only obstacle is that the conservative party has been in power for a long time now, and even though a majority supports gay equality, they don't care with their "Christian values".

In terms of perception, it depends on where you go, just like about anywhere else. In bigger cities it's pretty much normalcy at this point, and nobody really cares (beyond maybe an odd look or two by old people), but in more rural areas, it might be a bit difficult, depending on where you are.
I grew up in a rural area, and while that is quite a few years back now, it was a painful experience to be known as gay. Been living in Vienna since I was 18, and I have never had any issues since then. Vienna also has several LGBT establishments (clubs/bars, political/support organizations, and so on).

It got a lot better in recent years, but as I understand it it's far from perfect. IIRC you still can't marry a same-sex partner here. At least it's now legal to adopt a child but that only changed last year.

Bollocks, again

Thanks guys.

norinrad

Good riddance.

Hopefully the world is realizing what it's on the verge of doing and slowly coming to its senses.

This is not how to do it. Europe is currently divided and saying stuff like good riddance without trying to understand why people were willing to impose the other guy on the rest of the population is going to backfire next time around.

Hopefully the Austrians will come together and work for a good future for all.

Dunkley

Did my part too although I admit I definitely didn't expect this result because Trump and Brexit pushed my pessimism so high that I just was waiting for that last "Fuck you" from 2016 before it ended.

Really surprised by the result, gotta say I am really proud of my country's voter turnout not only having increased compared to May (73.8%, compared to the 72.65%), but also so clearly voting against Far-Right that even after the first results are in the decision was already made as he couldn't catch up anymore, and that was fantastic.

I was so worried about the election, but I slept so well knowing how wrong I was about what Austria's gonna vote. Really proud of my country right now.

orochi91

Sellner claims this is "Islamization" and that the Muslim religion is incompatible with Austrian values -- but even he admits Islam has a long history in Vienna. "After all," he says, gesturing to the mirrored salon of the Viennese cafe we are talking in. "We are drinking coffee brought by the Turks!"

I don't know why, but that line made me burst out laughing

XD

Brashnir

Obligatory:

67174688.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Result just shows how much politics depend on the current political climate. I almost expected something like this now that the refugee chaos died down. It was playing into the hands of FPÖ.

It's sad to see how little people actually think when they vote. Like, yeah, parties like the FPÖ would do some radical action in some current crisis.... But I have the feeling that most people don't even realize that we would be stuck with those idiots for many years.

I'm glad VdB won. Not that I like him a lot (think he's not very charismatic) but I voted for him because he's the lesser evil.

we're so fucking backwards in that regard it's disgusting. Too bad the european court ruled to defer to national courts compared to the supreme court in america and that one of the governing parties is stuck up and heavily influenced by the church still.

Dunkley

we're so fucking backwards in that regard it's disgusting. Too bad the european court ruled to defer to national courts compared to the supreme court in america and that one of the governing parties is stuck up and heavily influenced by the church still.

Makes me really sad since I had hoped that Conchita Wurst's victory at Eurovision will lead to a stronger push for LGBTQ rights since the magnifying glass was on us afterwards, but beyond talking big about tolerance and acceptance when it was trendy after her victory, nothing really ever came out of it and we just kinda went back to being just like we were before, which is a huge shame given how backwards we are in that regard as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom