• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Elections 2017 |OT| Voting right wing parties into parliament since 1949

Ac30

Well, the last guestimate of mandates I saw gave the ÖVP 57 and the FPÖ 51, so 108. With 183 seats, a two thirds majority would need over 122.
Seems like the constitution is safe at least.

According to new estimates, ÖVP 63 and FPÖ 51. That's 114. Closer, but still a ways of.

Is this accounting for the Greens losing all their seats? Shit.

Zaru

lets see where this will go

I can tell you where this will go, because it's not rocket science.
Check back on this post in a few years:

- More "christian values" in politics to the detriment of everyone but in particular women and sexual minorities
- More privatization of profits, nationalization of debts
- Numerous corruption scandals
- Cases of financial self-destruction that will cost taxpayers billions once they come to light and can't be ignored anymore
- Tax/Economic policies that appeal to rich people and big companies
- Worse quality of life for anyone who looks "foreign"

Red/Black was plagued by stagnation, coalition in-fighting and not being able to tackle divisive issues, but at least the country wasn't made actively worse by its own government.

Dingens

well then...
so people have to remember a 15+ year old story while they are not allowed to learn from the last 4 years? red black was trouble for many years now, yet when people react with their votes they are "stupid"? opinions dont only work in 1 side ;-)
red changed nothing, black is rstarting.
lets see where this will go and in case of need in 4-5 years people WILL remember...

yes, people have to remember a 15 year old "story" because to this day we are all paying for it. The prosecution is far from being finished with every little corruption scandal.
If the last 4 years thought us anything than that the ÖVP has been in office for way to long... about 30 years to be exact, and that they block everything, and have no problem with taking the whole country hostage only to get their way.
Red changed nothing, because how could they? the only viable coalition partner was the one fucking them over every step of the way.
Yes, people will remember the next 4-5 years, BUT not for the reasons you think

Hisoka

Lol, would've loved FPÖ before ÖVP. Whatever. Just die already, green party. I voted 3 elections for you and this Wahlkampf was what your supporters got. That's not my liberalism. I would've voted for FPÖ before you. If i had to choose you one more time, i wouldn't even go to that election. Bye Die Grünen.

Fliesen

Is this accounting for the Greens losing all their seats? Shit.

I think as soon as 1 (or 2) of the small parties make it into the Nationalrat, a 2/3 majority isn't possible.

FPÖVP are around 57%. So unless 15% of votes went to parties that didn't get any seats, we're good.
(inversely, as soon as 15% of votes had been siphoned off, 57% out of a total 85% would be more than two thirds of the Nationalrat seats)

I despise Kurz/ÖVP so much, I'd rather have SPÖ/FPÖ working together. Can't believe I'd say that. lol

nd6Y21d.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But damn deserved, and I say that as a former Green voter. Should have never let Pilz go.

I think everybody involved in this only ensured the whole movement just becoming practically irrelevant. It's not like the 4.3% Pilz gets here helps in any way. From 24 mandates to 8. Things look grim also for the future local elections in Wien. Luckily most likely the blue-blueish coalition will show their incompetence by then.

Ac30

I think as soon as 1 (or 2) of the small parties make it into the Nationalrat, a 2/3 majority isn't possible.

FPÖVP are around 57%. So unless 15% of votes went to parties that didn't get any seats, we're good.
(inversely, as soon as 15% of votes had been siphoned off, 57% out of a total 85% would be more than two thirds of the Nationalrat seats)

Ugh, I hope we don't see a Poland situation in Austria.

Fliesen

I actually wrote restarting
restaretd = in the past and finished
restarting = in the process.

I was assuming you wouldn't be able to procure anything concrete.

So you're telling us people should forget some of the greatest govermental mismanagment in the Zweite Republik (because it's been 15 years ago), meanwhile you cast your votes based on empty promises of "restarting".
That's rather silly.

demondays

Neo Member
I was assuming you wouldn't be able to procure anything concrete.

So you're telling us people should forget some of the greatest govermental mismanagment in the Zweite Republik (because it's been 15 years ago), meanwhile you cast your votes based on empty promises of "restarting".
That's rather silly.

haha, just funny how things are taken out of context and only your opinions count. also the reason why I dont waste any time for long posts.
people are allowed to remember 15 years ago. why shouldnt they. I just found it funny that we should remember and learn only from this while the last 4-5 years are not mentioned ;) was ÖVP a big part. yes! but I trust things will change for the better.
lets find out about empty promises in the next few years. Im Ok with this. If it does not work out there is a new chance to vote again

haha, just funny how things are taken out of context and only your opinions count. also the reason why I dont waste any time for long posts.
people are allowed to remember 15 years ago. why shouldnt they. I just found it funny that we should remember and learn only from this while the last 4-5 years are not mentioned ;)
lets find out about empty promises in the next few years. Im Ok with this.

No. Can't just stop here, come on.
First you need to explain what these new promises are so we'll be able to look back fondly and consider their fullness.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I think everybody involved in this only ensured the whole movement just becoming practically irrelevant. It's not like the 4.3% Pilz gets here helps in any way. From 24 mandates to 8. Things look grim also for the future local elections in Wien. Luckily most likely the blue-blueish coalition will show their incompetence by then.
I mean yeah, they would have lost anyway, but that whole Pilz debacle definitely cost them more than those 4.3%. They let their last popular member leave without even thinking about meeting halfway.
And hey, they would be in the Parlament now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Fliesen

people are allowed to remember 15 years ago. why shouldnt they. I just found it funny that we should remember and learn only from this while the last 4-5 years are not mentioned ;)
lets find out about empty promises in the next few years. Im Ok with this.

Where is anything taken out of context? Who are you - PewDiePie? Just because we call you out on that one rather empty initial post of yours and are asking for further clarification of your point?

What does "restarting" mean? In what way are they restarting? What was bad about the ÖVP before, what is better now? What promises were made that you believe they would be able to keep now?

This is not about opinions. At all. It's not like i can discount your opinion, you just haven't stated it yet beyond pretty much "new is always better".

With regards to promises and "finding out" - Americans are still waiting to see their "swamp" to be "drained".

I mean yeah, they would have lost anyway, but that whole Pilz debacle definitely cost them more than those 4.3%. They let their last popular member leave without even thinking about meeting halfway.

it's not only the Pilz thing that cost them, it's also Green voters propping up the SPÖ - massively.

Dingens

I'm sure they'll manage to jump the 4% barrier with the Viennese votes, or at least with the postal votes

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
it's not only the Pilz thing that cost them, it's also Green voters propping up the SPÖ - massively.
Oh definitely, me for example. Just saying, the Pilz thing was symptomatic for the Green clusterfuck over the last months, and definitely the tipping point for a lot of people.
I'm sure they'll manage to jump the 4% barrier with the Viennese votes, or at least with the postal votes
Ya I think so too. I was being polemic, sorry.

Fliesen

sorry if my english is bad. this is how I understood your post you wrote I want that people should forget what happened 15 years ago.
;)

still - you downplay voting based on information we do have (the corruption and misgoverning of Schwarz-Blau in the early 2000s) while you claim it's reasonable on basing your votes on information you don't have - i.e. the concrete changes of the Volkspartei, beyond color.
Their stance on any issues has not changed. Neither social issues, nor their approach to distribution of wealth.

Do you earn more than € 4000 brutto? are you looking forward to a rather large inheritance? If not, then anything the ÖVP has so far revealed about their politics won't affect you positively.

thats very simple. because everything I write will be attacked ;)

Well, instead of playing the victim card, how about you try us? So far, you're only being "attacked" (boo hoo) for not writing anything of substance.

Like, is it a stronger stance on immigration? ... because, while i would disagree with you - strongly - i can accept this as SOME argument at least.
But the guy you crowned as our chancelor has been responsible for immigration for the last 4 years. - so where's the "restart", where's the paradigm shift? Similarly, the party you voted into being the strongest power, has been part of the government for the last thirty years.

Your condescending oneliners with winky faces won't elicit any serious responses, and I'm pretty sure you know that, so how about you go troll somewhere else? I'm sure krone.at could use a few more ÖVP Parteisoldaten.

Oh definitely, me for example. Just saying, the Pilz thing was symptomatic for the Green clusterfuck over the last months, and definitely the tipping point for a lot of people.

The Heumarkt situation was a bunch of bullshit too, even if that was more of a Vienna thing.

Damn, Carinthia is stupid.

Did anyone seriously expect anything different? Seriously... after all the scandals of the past didn't diminish their loyalty towards the brown shirts... why would something change now?

Can't we just give Italy Carinthia and get Southern Tyrol back?

Also, my home district of Vienna makes me proud - 40% SPÖ, 7% Pilz. Nice.

Fuck that, I don't want back to Austria. Go keep Kärnten and deal with these clowns.

Maybe because not paying your workers and being proponents of less workers rights isn't all that popular in Vienna... just an idea.

Well these stances hardly seem new for Neos, so why the change? Did they go even more neoliberal since last time?

Edit: I am just going to assume that ÖVP ate their voters this time

Ac30

The Greens missing the cutoff by 0.1%, harsh. Only 2% of the vote left so they're probably not going to make it

Well these stances hardly seem new for Neos, so why the change? Did they go even more neoliberal since last time?

Edit: I am just going to assume that ÖVP ate their voters this time

Kurz and Pilz took a lot of votes from NEOs and the dying Greens. SPÖ also gained by cannibalizing these.

Oh, I was under the impression postal votes were already being counted?

postal votes aren't counted as such but they are included in the calculated forecast. They do increase the margin of error of course since there are so many and they usually lean left, which is why they may or may not still get the Greens in and change the number of seats for everyone

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Hm at least Graz has an alright enough result I guess. FPÖ only gained a bit more than 1% (still #3 with 21%), SPÖ won, the Greens got destroyed (from #1 with 21% to fucking 5.79 wowww). Why the hell can't we do that at Gemeinderatswahlen? :(

Hisoka

Hm at least Graz has an alright enough result I guess. FPÖ only gained a bit more than 1% (still #3 with 21%), SPÖ won, the Greens got destroyed (from #1 with 21% to fucking 5.79 wowww). Why the hell can't we do that at Gemeinderatswahlen? :(

Awesome Graz! :D

Edit: Wow, now Lunacek IS making Pilz somehow responsible for her losing. Holy shit.. This woman is a clusterfuck. Hope they won't get to 4%. She's such a bad loser.

I am looking forward to the Wählerstromanalyse. I imagine the Frank peeps went ÖVP and the Greens went SPÖ and Pilz. The BZÖ somehow didn't all end up at FPÖ which surprises me

The BZÖ somehow didn't all end up at FPÖ which surprises me

The BZÖ tried to be a bit more centrist than the FPÖ, and was also a lot more moderate in regards to their rightwinger points, which is why a lot of the BZÖ went over to the ÖVP, and some even to SPÖ.

Top Bottom