• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Elections 2017 |OT| Voting right wing parties into parliament since 1949

Krelian

I'm not Austrian but tried Wahlkabine.at for fun anyway. I guess I'm a commie, too, lol. It suggests KPÖ (192), Grüne (175), Pilz (107) and SPÖ (41). If I were eligible I'd probably vote SPÖ but I'm not so all I can do is wish you guys good luck. You're gonna need it.

So I was just clicking through some of those terrible political songs of the past, and I'm wondering.. Did I miss it, or has this gone out of fashion? Both official and fan-made.

Stuff like Strache doing an official rap, a pro-Van der Bellen parody of Thunderstruck, anti-Hofer rap or seriously NSFW anti-Hofer rap without a hint of class which I can basically guarantee you've never heard before.

I need those to fuel my gallows humor, but all I've come across are disgusting FPÖ advertisements on YouTube which just angry up my blood.

Oh, and: Probably gonna be SPÖ for me tomorrow. It's the pragmatic commies party of choice 👍

Strache is looking old af these days, Kern looks much younger than him somehow.

He was the young guy next to the old guys when he started out and now he looks like this with makeup done
thumb_1533426_segments_highlight_teaser.jpeg

Strache is looking old af these days, Kern looks much younger than him somehow.

He was the young guy next to the old guys when he started out and now he looks like this with makeup done

Absolutely.
He's lost his bite, and a certain bond-villainesque shark is biding his time.
Probably not long after this election, I could see Norbsi taking over.
Fresh and energetic, handicapped after a terrible accident but never giving up, a real fighter with a bright smile and a good, Austrian name.

We're all fucked btw

it really does, strache has been failing their way up the polls for 12 years now. Always the loud guy that has to cry wolf over and over.

I always thought it was easy to see through, his entire spiel.
I remember when the MAK in Vienna had an exhibition which included a collage of Strache-Sommergespräch related stuff.
One made-up quote I'll never forget:
"Was ist ihre Lieblingsfarbe, Herr Strache?"
"Am liebsten esse ich Wiener Schnitzel".

A snake, but like I said, easy to see through.
I view Hofer as much more
hinterfotzig
insidious.

Dingens

Going by the last few weeks I'd actually prefer a minority government Tbh. I mean the SPÖ together with the greens, sometimes the neos and even the fpö managed to get quite a few things done that have been blocked by the övp for decades.
I never thought it was possible, but I think I may dislike Kurz even more than the usual fpö Nazis.
Voting SPÖ btw.
(even though the wahlkabine tells me to vote KPõ, I'm sorry guys :( )
I actually quite enjoyed there (mostly) positive campaign (well except for the obvious...) and they also managed to create one of my all-time favourite election posters

there's just something really nice about it.

The wahlkabine controversy made me realize one thing though, seems like most people don't actually vote for policy they believe in.
Some sort of election-reform would be nice. Like instead of just selecting the party you like, you have to go through 20 to 30 wahlkabine-like questions and then you'll vote for the party that aligns with you the most automatically. The political spectrum would look vastly different that way

Zatoth

Same here.. I hope. Wahlkarten are confusing. I really prefer just voting at home.

Had to use one last year. Was afraid that I did something wrong. Voting at the Wahllokal is the way to go for me.

Also read of someone who studies abroad and they received their Wahlkarte too late to be able to vote. What a great system we have.

Gotta love todays Krone front page

What is going on with Kurz's mouth?

Had to use one last year. Was afraid that I did something wrong. Voting at the Wahllokal is the way to go for me.

Also read of someone who studies abroad and they received their Wahlkarte too late to be able to vote. What a great system we have.
I did it at the Wahllokal, should be alright.
Should really just change my main residence to Vienna finally..

What is going on with Kurz's mouth?
"LoOk FrIeNdS, I aM dOiNg A hUmAn SmILe"

Dont know anything about Austrian politics but Kurz reminds me of an American Psycho actor

:(

Maybe a bit.. He looks more like he'd be his little brother.
He is much more dangerous than he seems at first glance, though, so that's an attribute they share.

I just read(not sure how I missed that) that with so many people voting via mail (like 16 percent I think), we won't even know anything conclusive until possibly THURSDAY?
I had hoped we could so it quickly, like ripping off a band-aid..

But he looks nothing like Bale, I think he means Paul Allen

tumblr_lp049uG1NC1qlsh4u.jpg

Ah, I misread, it's only 11:20 and I've only had two large coffees so far.
But still, he seems like the little brother type to Paul as well.
He has something inherently feeble about him.
A friend told me that the best thing about him is that anyone could kick his ass, plus he's young, so it's more acceptable to drunkenly fight him.
probably 90% joking

Ac30

That last outlier poll having the FPO leading (6 days ago) isn’t making me feel good about the possible results... while there was no poll herding in the French election there may well have been some here.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I just read(not sure how I missed that) that with so many people voting via mail (like 16 percent I think), we won't even know anything conclusive until possibly THURSDAY?
I had hoped we could so it quickly, like ripping off a band-aid..

Most mail ballots will be counted on Monday, only the ones that end up at a different electoral district will be counted on Thursday. From what I heard, this will be 100k maximum, so it won't have much of an effect on the results anymore. Could still be relevant with respect to the three small parties if they are very close to the 4% threshold though.

Most mail ballots will be counted on Monday, only the ones that end up at a different electoral district will be counted on Thursday. From what I heard, this will be 100k maximum, so it won't have much of an effect on the results anymore. Could still be relevant with respect to the three small parties if they are very close to the 4% threshold though.

Yeah, these votes could still matter, so my soul won't find peace until then.
Really curious how things will actually turn out. FPÖ in second place.. Ugh.

Too bad nobody here seems to be ÖVP or FPÖ.
Would've liked to hear why they actually vote like this in a calm, moderated space like this, plus in real life, I'm either on too much of a bubble, or the FPÖVP voters are hiding.

Zaru

Alright. Voted. Should have actually looked up the names in my regional list, I don't know who any of these are.

cMfkFGP.gif

Green Yoshi

That last outlier poll having the FPO leading (6 days ago) isn’t making me feel good about the possible results... while there was no poll herding in the French election there may well have been some here.

With all the shit about Silberstein and SPÖ and ÖVP fighting each other like little children I can see a lot of people switching to FPÖ to prevent another ÖVP/SPÖ coalition.

Irminsul

Now, we wait. So i can cry myself to sleep again. /jk...... kinda.
Well, the plan for my Austrian colleagues (I'm German myself, so I can only watch in horror) seems to be to get "blauer als das Wahlergebnis" before it's done. I hope I won't have to call an ambulance on them.

I'm also on team "trinken bis man blauer ist".
Just had the most infuriating discussion at work.
Everything is manipulation, especially Wahlkarten, Hofer would have been president, numbers I'm quoting are made up, bla bla bla.

Won

Well did my part. Already preparing my evil eyes for my coworkers tomorrow. The garbage I often have to hear there.

spidye

Voted but I fear the worst

Really don‘t want to live in a country with kurz as bundeskanzler and strache as his vize

Zaru

I know I should have checked out Wahlkabine BEFORE voting, but the only surprise in my result was that the current ÖVP was the ONLY party I had negative points with. What the hell happened to that party?

Austria-GAF. I am not educated about your elections. Can someone sum the situation up for me ?
I created really think of anything not in the OP, unless it's very basic. Go ahead and ask questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I know I should have checked out Wahlkabine BEFORE voting, but the only surprise in my result was that the current ÖVP was the ONLY party I had negative points with. What the hell happened to that party?
Trying to out-FPÖ the FPÖ.
Terrible.

...my young left-wing coworker, while carrying her AntiFa bag, just got in a verbal fight with an older coworker.
The older one loves Strache and hopes for an FPÖ win, while being a Bulgarian immigrant(married and moved here it seems), is fairly dark skinned, and speaks terrible German.
Jaysus.

Dingens

Austria-GAF. I am not educated about your elections. Can someone sum the situation up for me ?

In short (notice the subtle joke): it's a shit show.
The social democrats fucked up half of their campaign and now we are looking at a coalition between the "conservatives" (which is a code-word for right-wing assholes) and the "right wing assholes" (which is code for right wing assholes).
only a miracle can save us now.
I'm also looking forward to the inevitable fallout from the rest of europe and the world...

[...]
The older one loves Strache and hopes for an FPÖ win, while being a Bulgarian immigrant(married and moved here it seems), is fairly dark skinned, and speaks terrible German.
Jaysus.

My uncle (who's fairly rich, married to an indian woman and has 3 very dark-skinned children) tried to convince the entire family to vote for the FPÖ because (quote) he's sick and tired of paying for other people.

My uncle (who's fairly rich, married to an indian woman and has 3 very dark-skinned children) tried to convince the entire family to vote for the FPÖ because (quote) he's sick and tired of paying for other people.

Well, he isn't entirely wrong, since the FPÖ is very good at giving old and poor people a proper screwing.
goddamn he's talking about refugees and immigrants isn't he

Edit:
Oh boy, only like an hour till we get some preliminary numbers.

I created really think of anything not in the OP, unless it's very basic. Go ahead and ask questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

In short (notice the subtle joke): it's a shit show.
The social democrats fucked up half of their campaign and now we are looking at a coalition between the "conservatives" (which is a code-word for right-wing assholes) and the "right wing assholes" (which is code for right wing assholes).
only a miracle can save us now.
I'm also looking forward to the inevitable fallout from the rest of europe and the world...

Okay okay, I got the gist of it. But how can Austria have the choice between assholes and assholes when we got this kind of commentary from a direct official source regarding immigrants in the country ?
https://www.facebook.com/ZeitimBild/videos/10153651775956878/
Zeit im Bild said:
Immer wieder hört man, Flüchtlinge seien kriminell. Das stimmt nicht, sagt Karl-Heinz Grundböck, der Sprecher des Innenministeriums: "Was wir sehen, ist dass ein bestimmtes Feld steigt: Das ist nicht die Kriminalität von Flüchtlingen, sondern die Kriminalität gegen Flüchtlinge."
To me this makes no sense. Are these 'assholes' politicians really racist, or are they just populists who create a sense of fear to prey on the people's feelings ? I seriously hope they are the latter.

Okay okay, I got the gist of it. But how can Austria have the choice between asholes and assholes when we got this kind of commentary from a direct official source regarding immigrants in the country ?
https://www.facebook.com/ZeitimBild/videos/10153651775956878/

A big problem is that the less right-wing party, the social democrats, were in power(at least in theory), and people aren't happy, demand change, and swing hard to the right. Their coalition partner, the conservatives, go along with the crowd and are now more terrible than ever.
The social democrats screwing up their campaign didn't help either.
It's not a choice between assholes only, but asshole and asshole will most likely get the highest number of votes.

The very left-wing green party weakening themselves by splitting into two probably didn't help either.

To me this makes no sense. Are these 'assholes' politicians really racist, or are they just populists who create a sense of fear to prey on the people's feelings ? I seriously hope they are the latter.
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.
Probably more the latter, especially at the top of the party.
But the FPÖ has had slogans like "Heimatliebe statt Marokkanerdiebe" (Love for your home instead of maroccan thieves) and "Daham statt Islam" (home, not Islam).
One of their lower ranking guys was found to have the license plate "88 HH". Stuff like that.
(Of course, the FPÖ is quick to denounce literal nazis, but it's curious how these people seem magically attracted to that party)
Disclaimer: the license plate was not ordered or anything, but it's suspicious as hell.

Dingens

[...]
goddamn he's talking about refugees and immigrants isn't he
[...]

nope. apparently he was talking about "parasites" in general, including "lazy students" who's tuition HE has to pay.
probably should've told him to move to the U.S. if he loves screwing society this much

[...]

these are "post-faktische" times, reality doesn't really matter, perceived reality does.

nope. apparently he was talking about "parasites" in general, including students who's tuition HE has to pay.

Oooh. Well, a bit better.. Maybe?
I mean, it's a huge dick move, but at least he's honest..
People sure hate "parasites". I once almost got beaten up because I was a student who didn't work (now I do).
Meanwhile, my parents pay loads of taxes, but I'm sure that angry mason who freely talked about his tax-dodging winter work was the guy responsible for paying my tuition... Bah.

What rubs me the wrong way is that (all) these parties had the choice between several alternative propagandas, with at least one of them which could have depicted the migrants favourably. These alterantive propagandas could have had done the job. But instead, in lieu of reassuring the voters about what could be their neighbours, they feed a paranoia which has no real foundaments but very real implications.

That's deeply disturbing to me. It either sheds a curious light on the Austrian voters, or the people in power, or both.
Anyway, right-wing speeches, policies and representatives belong to the past. We should not give up to this non sense once again.

these are "post-faktische" times, reality doesn't really matter, perceived reality does.
Yes, this. I feel like one of these phenomena is feeding off the other one. And I don't like that : simplistic arguments dumb down the general discourse. Over the course of several years, you have a real possibility of putting in question things that greatly contributed and go on contributing to our society like free speech and differences in opinion.

I feel like I am a bit too worried but I can't escape the feeling that something was put in motion. And that it won't stop unless out people in power stop using bullshit arguments to cling on to power.
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.
Probably more the latter, especially at the top of the party.
But the FPÖ has had slogans like "Heimatliebe statt Marokkanerdiebe" (Love for your home instead of maroccan thieves) and "Daham statt Islam" (home, not Islam).
One of their lower ranking guys was found to have the license plate "88 HH". Stuff like that.

Disclaimer: the license plate was not ordered or anything, but it's suspicious as hell.
This is disgusting. Whoever did that has no right to figure on any party's list or be at all part of the system.

What rubs me the wrong way is that (all) these parties had the choice between several alternative propagandas, with at least one of them which could have depicted the migrants favourably. These alterantive propagandas could have had done the job. But instead, in lieu of reassuring the voters about what could be their neighbours, they feed a paranoia which has no real foundaments but very real implications.

That's deeply disturbing to me. It either sheds a curious light on the Austrian voters, or the people in power, or both.
Anyway, right-wing speeches, policies and representatives belong to the past. We should not give up to this non sense once again.
Oh, it's absolutely both.
Many voters are scared, uninformed and ignorant, a quality which pairs well with racism and general xenophobia.
On the other side, many parties are happy to enable it.

I posted an image on page 1, let me show it again:
Would this ad have worked if the incarnation of old government didn't have a "Refugees Welcome" slogan on that shirt?
Of course.
And yet, there it is. Because, sadly, it speaks to the voter.

This is disgusting. Whoever did that has no right to figure on any party's list or be at all part of the system.
Oh sure, as far as I recall the party apologized. Don't remember if heads rolled.
But that's what they do. Apologize when the damage is done.

Top Bottom