• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

There's nothing superb about the 5-series. This entire generation of them has left all enthusiasts absolutely disappointed. They wallow, they don't steer well anymore, they're underpowered, and they lack any sort of BMW sharpness that the car was once known for.

Wait sorry, you're right. I was thinking in terms of a used one. I don't have the budget for anything new in that price range so my mind went to the previous years halfway through my post. But you offered up some good options I didn't even think of. I tend to stay closer to the budget sport end of the spectrum.

Had a small brake + suspension upgrade party yesterday with the fellas:

- my car had full brake fluid flush (motul 600), new pads F+R (stoptech) for the street, tested my track rims to see how it would look (need tires lol)
- my buddies car had a BADASS BALLER set of Ohlins R/T installed :drools:

Nice. I wish I had the money for Volks. Oh well, my Rotas are only noticed as being replicas by the enthusiasts. I also need to put some Motul in eventually.

new prius

2016-Prius-1.jpg

2016-Prius-2.jpg

bwahaha. wtf.

It's like a poor postmodern art piece. At first glance it looks alright, kind of interesting. The more I look at it though, the less I like it as I find more and more things to offend my eyes.

The mirai works to an extent because it's more elongated. The prius with it's ridiculous hunch is comical by comparison. The prius works best as the mini-suv / wagon variant, imo.

DrMungo

The 5-series and E-Class are garbage. Severely underpowered, with very underwhelming handling. Plus, yes, reliability and maintenance are a sore spot. My cousin has a Lexus GS350, and it's a decent handling car, great interior, but with poor steering and a dull motor.

I have a Q70S (M56S) and I think it's a spectacular car. Very sharp chassis with the sports package, very direct steering, and both the 3.7 and 5.6 have plenty of power each. Plus the current Q70s have pretty good transmissions that have improved shifts over my 2013. Also, the Infiniti rides superbly and quietly. And the tech with the options is incredible. It's pricier than a Q50 though, which is still a good car, but is more inline with a 3-series, C-Class, etc.

In which case, if you were to consider the Q50, I'd say also consider the Mercedes C450 AMG Sport which is roughly the size of the current E-Class now, but a much, much better car in every way inside and out.

There's nothing superb about the 5-series. This entire generation of them has left all enthusiasts absolutely disappointed. They wallow, they don't steer well anymore, they're underpowered, and they lack any sort of BMW sharpness that the car was once known for.

THanks! Great feedback.
Has anyone ever been burned by going the Pre-Owned Certified route (instead of brand new?)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
THanks! Great feedback.
Has anyone ever been burned by going the Pre-Owned Certified route (instead of brand new?)

CPO cars don't always come with good warranties. Some come with only 1 year warranty or 2 year. They don't cover everything, as they're 'limited' warranties. It also depends on the dealership and how far they want to stretch that CPO warranty too.

I had a CPO 335i Coupe...the dealer closest to me in NY (Bayside BMW, Great Neck LI) told me the CPO doesn't cover the water pump failures. A dealer 25 miles away (Rallye BMW, Westbury LI) said they do.

Some dealers are assholes. Some dealers aren't. Your results may vary.

If you go for a brand new car, use sites like TrueCar to get the dealers at or BELOW invoice price on a car. That way depreciation doesn't hurt the value of your car anywhere near as much in the 1st year. That's what I typically do when getting a new car. With my M56S, I lucked out and found a 2013 (in 2014) with only 4600 miles on it. It was worth 73K MSRP, and I got it 'used' for $51K, which is about what they paid for the car at trade in. But that kind of silly luck doesn't happen often.

Bandit1

Every cars and coffee we have a slew of Mustang owners show up. They take up like a quarter of the parking area. Half of them don't even know what they have under the hood...

So I've been away from the thread for a while. After the issues Thursday with the Procede linear controller for the electric supercharger, I decided to just hide the wiring and get the car presentable for this month's Cars and Coffee. I'm glad I did, because we had some stunners show up. My two faves were the restored Datsun 510:

MqsWQRa.jpg

I'm digging that 510 Datsun.. Looks very good.

- my car had full brake fluid flush (motul 600), new pads F+R (stoptech) for the street, tested my track rims to see how it would look (need tires lol)

11986605_10153512810583758_2142324327958960965_n.jpg

11954627_10153514697893758_5920178699119930003_n.jpg

11232070_10153514697353758_6148397050746966905_n.jpg

11140337_10153514697748758_325314483250002124_n.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun! Those Volks are going to look great on your car.

new prius bwahaha. wtf.

Now with more ugly.

AlphaSnake

They're my favorite aspect of the Q50. Car looks organic and muscular. One reviewer said it looked feminine which I don't see at all.

Yeah, that's gotta be the first I've seen someone call the Q50's lights ugly. They're beautiful and elegant.

Kelsdesu

So I might be joining the e92 m3 train.

Getting rid of the Evo 9 and looking at a clean Alpine White Coupe.

Evo 9... Whatchu selling it for if you don't mind me asking? Seems like you can't find anything under 20k. I don't know why.

00909_gkpC8KV4QbD_600x450.jpg
saw this bad boy for sale on Craigslist. Best year imo.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Got to be a passenger in a brand new white M4 yesterday.

Holy shit is that car nice. I haven't been inside a modern luxury German vehicle in the last ~five years. The interior is beautiful. The leather is so supple. The gadgets are great.

It was quick and nimble... and beautiful. Anyway, just a great ride. Too expensive for me, and not the type of car I'd buy with that kind of money; but no doubt I left wanting one just the same.

No Love

Banned
Probably 21k.

Im the second owner. All stock besides a perrin intake.

Does it have any rust issues? I'll probably take you up on it. I need another Evo in my life. It's a GSR right
The thing is with luxury sedans you're going to have similar maintenance costs really. Unless you intend to do the work yourself, but that may not be for everybody or even possible with some of the newer models.

Honestly if you're looking for a luxury sedan, go for the 5 series. The GS350 / Q70 aren't bad, but the 5 series is just superb especially if you're already looking to spend the money.

However if it were me, I'd just get a WRX / STi (depending on if you want the newer 2.0L FA20 engine or the older 2.5L engine) and take a vacation with the leftover money. But those are a lot less comfortable than the executive class sedans above.

What figures is he getting? I don't own a Honda but currently have 507 foot-pounds of torque to my rear and crap my pants at times due to my fourth summer on PSS wheels.

Probably about 160 wtq, lol. i think it's two very different definitions of wheelspin...

matmanx1

Every cars and coffee we have a slew of Mustang owners show up. They take up like a quarter of the parking area. Half of them don't even know what they have under the hood...

So I've been away from the thread for a while. After the issues Thursday with the Procede linear controller for the electric supercharger, I decided to just hide the wiring and get the car presentable for this month's Cars and Coffee. I'm glad I did, because we had some stunners show up. My two faves were the restored Datsun 510:

MqsWQRa.jpg

and the Porsche 918 hybrid:

RXwjx4V.jpg

Ks0zdmI.jpg

It's always a great time going to see what people bring, and to just shoot the breeze with everyone.

Afterwards I went on a date with my girl in Pismo beach. The 2 hour drive wasn't too bad, didn't get stuck behind many people. When I had the chance to pass, the ESC really helped out. The drive back was amazing, though. Not many cars, whoever was on the road let me pass, and not a cop in sight so I drove much faster than I probably should have.

Yesterday I finally got the Procede working. I was about to remove all the wiring to send it back, but then I got a call from the guy who makes the kits. He told me that the different versions of the controller have different analog outputs and mine was on the wrong channel since I was using someone else's map. So after that was fixed, it worked like a charm.

The difference is night and day now. No more revving like a madman to get past the torque dip. It's more refined and like people said, it feels like a cross between a really responsive yet smaller SC and the engine feeling like it's 2.4L. The drive to work today was a lot more fun as a result.

That reminds me, I got the 1 year anniversary service call the other day. Can't wait to explain to them all I've done to the FR-S since I last brought it in...

Both of the cars in your pics are amazing for vastly different reasons. I love them both.

Does it have any rust issues? I'll probably take you up on it. I need another Evo in my life. It's a GSR right

No Rust Issues.Its lived in a garage the 4 years ive had it.

Its an MR not a GSR. Its got about 75k miles on it. Had 60k when I got it 4 years ago.

Hopefully I get my new car today

Scion says they hope to get them in today or by the 7th aka labor day

Do we have another FR-S owner in our midst? :D

Both of the cars in your pics are amazing for vastly different reasons. I love them both.

That's what I love about Cars & Coffee in my neighborhood. It's early in the morning so no one's rowdy, there's a ton of amateur photographers who love to take all kinds of great pics, and you've got the whole range of autos to ogle and tease people about. It's all good natured, though.

Earlier this year we had a home made rat rod parked next to the aventador that showed up. I love it.

No Rust Issues.Its lived in a garage the 4 years ive had it.

Its an MR not a GSR. Its got about 75k miles on it. Had 60k when I got it 4 years ago.

Oh man, if I had the money for a second car... The EVO has always been my dream vehicle, but always out of my price range and I couldn't find an unmolested one when I was shopping to see if I could get one for FR-S money.

11232070_10153514697353758_6148397050746966905_n.jpg

Nice! I have a set of Ohlins on my S2000. A little too stiff on street, but perfect on the track.

AlphaSnake

The interior is gorgeous! Holy smokes.

I also think the car looks wonderful, too.

rokkerkory

Real thing:

DKO7gG1.jpg

Concept.

aF9GpZJ.jpg

That's not bad at all for nissan but that front grill is boo. Looks more like mazda's kodo language tho which is a good thing.

edit: saw the interior... i just can't stand infiniti / nissan interior design... just looks 'off' to me. that's just my .02

Went and drove the E92 M3, holy shit its so much better than the e46.

Car is the perfect compromise between luxury and sport.

Hopefully I will be the new owner on Thursday.

nitewulf

is a non turbo 1995 Supra w/ 114000 miles for 17K a good buy? Also interested in the RX-7, if I ifnd one in good condition.

AlphaSnake

anyone know if coolant is included in the bmws ultimate maintenance plan thing?

A coolant top off? Of course it is.

It's such a cheap thing, I probably wouldn't even waste the time at a dealer and just do it myself.

Is your coolant low or something? I sure hope not.

negitoro7

That's not bad at all for nissan but that front grill is boo. Looks more like mazda's kodo language tho which is a good thing.

edit: saw the interior... i just can't stand infiniti / nissan interior design... just looks 'off' to me. that's just my .02

Yup, I've never liked Infiniti interiors. They look too geared towards the retired demographic IMO.

A coolant top off? Of course it is.

It's such a cheap thing, I probably wouldn't even waste the time at a dealer and just do it myself.

Is your coolant low or something? I sure hope not.

yeh its low. theres two coolant reservoirs actually but only one is low.

i have to go to the dealer to get bmw coolant anyhow so i'll just have them do it if its quick and easy.

AlphaSnake

yeh its low. theres two coolant reservoirs actually but only one is low.

i have to go to the dealer to get bmw coolant anyhow so i'll just have them do it if its quick and easy.

For a brand new M3, I'd say it's weird you went through coolant that quickly.

It took my 335i Coupe about 40K miles before the water pump started failing and coolant started needing to be refilled every 3-4 months.

AlphaSnake

but i am not a "race car" driver, i like to cruise and feel the sun? i had the regular 328i and it was plenty nimble in city traffic.

My best friend in NYC literally sold a convertible identical to this one to a guy in Miami. And in NY traffic he averaged 11MPG with the car. Keep that in mind.

Also, beware of maintenance costs on these cars. Just before my friend sold his 2011 the idle started jumping up and down when the car was warm or sitting in traffic too much (this is a VERY known problem with the S65 motor and can be thousands to fix). Also the transmission one day wouldn't engage (trans heat may have been an issue again). The DCT in this car can't be 'fixed' at a dealer, and costs over $10K.

Also, because you have two traditional clutches in this transmission, you WILL have to replace them and they ARE expensive as fuck. Each clutch job will cost about $5K from start to finish including labor.

I would also avoid this 2009 you're looking at because it's an earlier production model and earlier E92 M3s were more problem riddled than LCI models. $39K is also overkill, despite the mileage. My friend sold his 2011 for $34K.

Laws00

My first car. The first car I ever bought

went to the dealership yesterday

should have more pics tomorrow when I pick it up

excited as hell been driving my old Chrysler Concorde for 12 or 13 years as a hand me down car.

11849157_470415633138647_1073411252_n.jpg

11820488_428425734024746_1337123166_n.jpg

I tried out the iM yesterday. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I was driving in eco until I relaized there was sport mode. Could be a little faster/peppier but its alright

I was actually the first person to drive it lol

Bandit1

excited as hell been driving my old Chrysler Concorde for 12 or 13 years as a hand me down car.

Congrats! That'll be a nice step up from a Concorde, should be a fun car!

Welcome, brother!

I was in the same boat last year. I went from a '96 4Runner I bought right outta high school with 150K miles on it to a '15 FR-S last summer.

After a year I've changed a ton of things on it and love it to death. Any mods planned? If so, I'd suggest waiting until after the break in period to see what you really like and don't like about it. A lot of people buy one and all of a sudden start changing things without getting a feel for it first.

Also speaking of the FR-S, here's my review of the Procede controller for the Phantom Electric Supercharger, now that I've had it up and running for a few days.

Okay, so I've had the Procede with KoolBRZ's "cool" map installed and used for the past few days.

My review? The kit was a kind of frustrating install due to how tough it is to get to the wires you need to tap into, but once I got it sorted out with everyone's help, the kit was well worth the cost.

Why? Because the linear control makes this kit really come alive. I made a comment before the Procede that the Phantom ESC felt like a rechargeable shot of NOS, in the sense that all the power kicks in once you hit that throttle switch.

This made using it fully a bit of a challenge for your daily driver since you had to decide whether or not 5 PSI of boost was a good idea at the moment, and if it wasn't you had to behave yourself unless you wanted to overshoot the exit of a corner or end up in the car in front of you.

With the Procede, you've got full control over the RPM and Throttle ranges, and you can set the boost to reasonable amounts at lower RPM while still maintaining the full boost at the top end. Having the boost follow your throttle and RPM makes the kit feel much more practical as an upgrade to a daily driver's vehicle, while also giving you the advantage of extra torque and WHP for those spirited weekend track days or back road drives.

The Procede responds as quick as the Phantom, so there's no real "lag" added by the setup. This morning I came out of a sharp turn at speed and was able to instantly get back up to the speed limit, without needing to downshift and rev excessively like I would have had to with the activation switch.

While the Phantom is a good value on its own, for the price of the Procede it becomes a much better, and more enjoyable setup all around. If you want a supercharge setup that's half the cost of others on the market, and don't feel like you need the extra power or maintenance that comes from a turbo would provide in a similar price range, then the Procede is a great addition to the Phantom to make it feel more like a refined FI setup.

Man, I really need to update my build thread. It's been a few months...

Welcome aboard the 86 train! Is it a '16 with the new head unit?

I tried out the iM yesterday. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I was driving in eco until I relaized there was sport mode. Could be a little faster/peppier but its alright

I was actually the first person to drive it lol

I love the concept of the iM (especially for 20k), just wish it had a bit more power.

Top Bottom