• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

boltz

I'll probably post A LOT more pics and impressions in the next week or two. But for now, I only have a couple boring pics:

31989596884_771bda98c9_b.jpg

32017911433_e373e3ce17_b.jpg

Congrats, I like your hood too! The regular challenger models look a little too bland for me, but the HC trim adds the right bit of detail to make it look more aggressive.

As for driving stick, just don't do abusive things like letting your foot rest on the clutch pedal or clutch dumps and your clutch should be fine, even after enduring a learner :)

We live dead centre in a town here in the UK where parking is a nightmare, so our daily is a JCW Coupe Auto. Mini didn't make JCW Coupes with an auto box, so we bought a fully specced Cooper S auto that looked like this:

jN6B5EY.jpg

We then sent it to Mini for the full JCW upgrade package, including LED DRLs, stuck some 18" OZ Superturismos with Pirelli P-Zeros on and had it fully wrapped in 3M Gloss Black, so it now looks like this! He's called 'Darth' btw (big Star Wars fan)

CYNfmsd.jpg

FEWWaf7.jpg

Nice mini! I'm a big fan of small, lightweight performance cars, just not practical for me as a DD.

TFGB

Oof that's a nice collection of cars man the mini looks great!

That's probably the best looking Mini I've seen. That black is just beaming.

Beautiful car!

And great pictures too. Awesome. Welcome to the club. Might as well crown you king while we're at it with such excellent rides :p.

Nice mini! I'm a big fan of small, lightweight performance cars, just not practical for me as a DD.

Cheers for the lovely comments guys!! xx

Jesus. I just...wow. I love your cars, I especially love the 67. I've been a Jag lover since I was a little kid. I used to steal my dad's collection of diecasts and models when I was 5. And there were a few old Jags in there, and I especially loved the E-Type. It was my first ever toy car. You should post some more pics of your classics. I'm surprised you don't host a YouTube show about them. Haha :p

lol My idea of hell. I won't even have my photo taken, let alone appearing on a video! I prefer to stay on the other side of the lens. :)

Cheers for the nice comps Alpha!

Might as well post the pics of my other ikkle classics. Nothing special, but good examples I think of their specific model, and there's not alot of these on the roads any more unfortunately.

First up is our '68 Riley Elf MKIII - the original supermini lol. This is a rare Wood & Pickett conversion with a 1275GT engine: (Rosie)

eH5P95y.jpg

BwKpTNS.jpg

'68 Riley 4/72: (Rita)

UjtdhLd.jpg

'60 Ford Popular 100E: (Poppy)

lnIJ7pc.jpg

...and the oldest of the bunch. We treated her to a full respray last year, along with new chrome, headlining, lights etc.

'55 Austin A30: (Annabelle)

n1t7mZP.jpg

Zrg9rBI.jpg

Once again, cheers for looking!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mother of God, man.

I need to switch careers. Are you hiring?

I don't ever ask this question of someone I barely know, as I feel like it's crass and daft, but are you in the auto industry or just a hobbyist?

TFGB

Mother of God, man.

I need to switch careers. Are you hiring?

I don't ever ask this question of someone I barely know, as I feel like it's crass and daft, but are you in the auto industry or just a hobbyist?

Lol the question's fine!

No not in the industry, just a bit of a hobby with my other 'arf. We're not mechanically minded at all though, neither of us. I know my way around an AV setup, but I barely know how a car actually works. I just appreciate driving them, and they're great fun to take out...if a little temperamental at times! :)

cheers @v1lla21. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Catching up on the grand tour and their mini film on how you cant use launch control anywhere was hilarious! I picture half of autogaf doing all of these. Can anyone find it clipped online to share?

Found it
https://vimeo.com/201722277

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What are your impressions so far compared to your 86?
Just as expected when switching from a sports car to a hot hatch. The seating position is waaaaay higher than in the GT 86, vut the engine pulls quite nicely. Not much cornering done so far because:

and crappy winter wheels on as well.
As soon as I have done 1000 kilometers with zee new machine, I'll do some more spirited driving. First mods are planned already :)

matmanx1

Wow, leave the thread for 24 hours or so and miss all of the good stuff. Some truly wonderful and amazing cars being shared the last page or so. Good going, Auto-Gaf, and may all your motoring be happy!

v1lla21

Just as expected when switching from a sports car to a hot hatch. The seating position is waaaaay higher than in the GT 86, vut the engine pulls quite nicely. Not much cornering done so far because:

and crappy winter wheels on as well.
As soon as I have done 1000 kilometers with zee new machine, I'll do some more spirited driving. First mods are planned already :)
Nice! Really love the FiST. What are you planning on doing first?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you!
I promised myself that I'd keep the Fiesta rather close to stock. So only the air filter box from the ST200 with additional inlet, a less restrictive filter panel, a stiffer rear motor mount, a new diverter valve and a mild tune. Maybe (!) A front strut bar. So basically nothing. ;)

v1lla21

Nice :) I've ran guys with stage 2 and it's pretty sweet. My favorite part of the car is the rear. Such a beauty from behind, I wish I could say the same for the Focus.

Smokey

Is that McLaren Gaf's fanciest car?

Gonna be tough to beat.

I thought someone bought a Huracan a while back. Green I think?

Thanks guys! Seriously - appreciate the kind words. It's always nice when others are excited for you.

Price ended up being a little higher than I wanted, but it was purely on the fault of KS' taxes being city instead of county based and me not realizing that. Nevertheless, I really didn't see myself being able to snag a Hellcat in my 20s. Someday, for sure... just not now. And so it felt great pulling off the lot a week after my 28th. I truly felt a just a Scat Pack was going to push it. This is a little bit more $$ than I was planning, yes... but it's also a lot more car.

I killed it a bunch getting into first. The very first time, the torque just did the work for me. But from that point on, I was listening to the engine rev and it's just SO DAMN LOUD that I'd startle myself and rush into either popping the clutch or letting off the gas. I'm still struggling, but if I ignore the sound and go with feel, I'm fine. Once in first, no issues. Drove 30 miles on the highway and through city lights to show off to family.

Car is pretty dirty, but they said I could come in anytime in the next couple weeks and they'd do a 4-5 hour detail on it. I was just eager to drive it since I'm gone all weekend and working out of state through Wed :( It's just gonna sit in my driveway for the next week.

With 42 mi on the odometer (111 now), I barely got on it. A little spirited acceleration through first and second, but nothing crazy. It's surprisingly easy to handle if you don't push it.

The sound system is legit! I just wanted to listen to that engine and exhaust most the time - but with 18 speakers and two subs, music just booms.

LOVE the hood. I know that sounds ridiculous; but from the driver's seat - just looking out at that swooshing hood line that goes on forever just looks badass. You feel like you're driving a rocket... or at the very least, a true, old-school muscle car.

My wife is already excited for both(!) of us to attend SRT Driving School in AZ this summer.

I'll probably post A LOT more pics and impressions in the next week or two. But for now, I only have a couple boring pics:

EDIT: Oh! mkenyon, yeah, still rocking the LD V7. It's a seriously great case, and as much as I'm woo'd by fashion cases from Lian Li or In Win, I just can't really justify switching. I'll probably rock that case for the next several years. Planning on a new build late this year. Appreciate all your help back in the day on that.

Man congrats, really happy for you.

I've completely came around on the Charger/Challenger. In my case I'd go for the Charger because I need the two doors, but I want one bad. Both look so good in black.

hwalker84

Thanks guys! Seriously - appreciate the kind words. It's always nice when others are excited for you.

Price ended up being a little higher than I wanted, but it was purely on the fault of KS' taxes being city instead of county based and me not realizing that. Nevertheless, I really didn't see myself being able to snag a Hellcat in my 20s. Someday, for sure... just not now. And so it felt great pulling off the lot a week after my 28th. I truly felt a just a Scat Pack was going to push it. This is a little bit more $$ than I was planning, yes... but it's also a lot more car.

I killed it a bunch getting into first. The very first time, the torque just did the work for me. But from that point on, I was listening to the engine rev and it's just SO DAMN LOUD that I'd startle myself and rush into either popping the clutch or letting off the gas. I'm still struggling, but if I ignore the sound and go with feel, I'm fine. Once in first, no issues. Drove 30 miles on the highway and through city lights to show off to family.

Car is pretty dirty, but they said I could come in anytime in the next couple weeks and they'd do a 4-5 hour detail on it. I was just eager to drive it since I'm gone all weekend and working out of state through Wed :( It's just gonna sit in my driveway for the next week.

With 42 mi on the odometer (111 now), I barely got on it. A little spirited acceleration through first and second, but nothing crazy. It's surprisingly easy to handle if you don't push it.

The sound system is legit! I just wanted to listen to that engine and exhaust most the time - but with 18 speakers and two subs, music just booms.

LOVE the hood. I know that sounds ridiculous; but from the driver's seat - just looking out at that swooshing hood line that goes on forever just looks badass. You feel like you're driving a rocket... or at the very least, a true, old-school muscle car.

My wife is already excited for both(!) of us to attend SRT Driving School in AZ this summer.

EDIT: Oh! mkenyon, yeah, still rocking the LD V7. It's a seriously great case, and as much as I'm woo'd by fashion cases from Lian Li or In Win, I just can't really justify switching. I'll probably rock that case for the next several years. Planning on a new build late this year. Appreciate all your help back in the day on that.
Congrats! She looks just like mine except I gave the brass monkey rims. Now join the Dodge Challenger owners club on Facebook.

Pinewood

lol My idea of hell. I won't even have my photo taken, let alone appearing on a video! I prefer to stay on the other side of the lens. :)

Might as well post the pics of my other ikkle classics. Nothing special, but good examples I think of their specific model, and there's not alot of these on the roads any more unfortunately.

First up is our '68 Riley Elf MKIII - the original supermini lol. This is a rare Wood & Pickett conversion with a 1275GT engine: (Rosie)

...and the oldest of the bunch. We treated her to a full respray last year, along with new chrome, headlining, lights etc.

So uhh, do you offer internships by any chance? Asking for a friend
me

SliChillax

eH5P95y.jpg

BwKpTNS.jpg

UjtdhLd.jpg

lnIJ7pc.jpg

n1t7mZP.jpg

Zrg9rBI.jpg

You just became my favorite user on this forum. Lovely collection and thanks for sharing.

matmanx1

GT4 RS, eh? Considering the limited availability on most of the R and RS versions of modern Porsche's I'm guessing these are going to be tough to come by and resold for huge mark-ups!

Still, should be awesome.

SliChillax

Any Italians in this thread? I'd like some tips about how stuff works in Italy in general since I'm bringing my car here for the first time.

mkenyon

Banned
@Yuri

So, it looks like E36 prices are going up. Stuff that went for 7-10k even 4 months ago now seems to be mid-teens. Lower mileage ones seem closer to 20k.

I was all ready to pounce on a good deal, but if things keep going this way, I don't think I'll be able to squeeze one in the budget.

Good news for you though!
Wonderful pics
Absolutely gorgeous, Poppy is especially eye catching in that color, beautiful.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp - while I have some pretty admittedly hard starts into first and second - a mixture of hard stop-go and 65 mph freeway traffic has averaged me a whopping 13 MPG for my first 3/4s of a tank.

lol

I've been holding down the clutch in reverse - I think that's how I always did it. Never let it fully engage - just feather it with gas till I get to where I need to be, then clutch and brake down - over to first - and get moving.

I'm on a relatively steep driveway in the morning, so with traffic coming by, that means my foot is half-way holding the clutch for a solid ~15 sec while I back up. That alright?

mkenyon

Banned
Welp - while I have some pretty admittedly hard starts into first and second - a mixture of hard stop-go and 65 mph freeway traffic has averaged me 13 whopping MPG for my first 3/4s of a tank.

lol
I know that feel. The smallest engine I have right now is my M5's 4.9L V8.

Thank goodness for low gas prices.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Welp - while I have some pretty admittedly hard starts into first and second - a mixture of hard stop-go and 65 mph freeway traffic has averaged me a whopping 13 MPG for my first 3/4s of a tank.

lol

I've been holding down the clutch in reverse - I think that's how I always did it. Never let it fully engage - just feather it with gas till I get to where I need to be, then clutch and brake down - over to first - and get moving.

I'm on a relatively steep driveway in the morning, so with traffic coming by, that means my foot is half-way holding the clutch for a solid ~15 sec while I back up. That alright?
as long as the clutch doesn't start to smell, you should be OK. Riding the clutch is the worst thing you can do to it, though.

mkenyon

Banned
as long as the clutch doesn't start to smell, you should be OK. Riding the clutch is the worst thing you can do to it, though.
I've always had to ride the clutch in reverse, gearing is just so damn fast it's the only way to go slow. I feel like I've done this since my first car, a 1995 Neon.

You have me wondering now though....

Pterion

I am seriously debating getting a used 2013 991 C4S. Probably won't do it because reasons, but wifey approves. Such a sexy car.

TylerD

I've always had to ride the clutch in reverse, gearing is just so damn fast it's the only way to go slow. I feel like I've done this since my first car, a 1995 Neon.

You have me wondering now though....

Same for me too. The way I see it, is you spend virtually no time in reverse so riding the clutch to control speed while reversing is doing very little damage over time.

v1lla21

Riding the clutch can fuck up the throwout bearing me thinks. I've been able to hear mine for the last 15k miles. Bought my car used so idk how the previous owner fucked with it. I might just change it when I drop in a new clutch.

Damn this thread has got me thinking too lol.

What I do is depress the clutch to the catch point and once it's rolling back, I instantly press the clutch towards the firewall again and just let physics take over. I'm still in reverse gear while my foot is all the way down... does that count as riding the clutch?

Once in a while I do give it some gas, but I still end up the same way with the clutch fully pressed once I've got enough momentum to let me move around.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn this thread has got me thinking too lol.

What I do is depress the clutch to the catch point and once it's rolling back, I instantly press the clutch towards the firewall again and just let physics take over. I'm still in reverse gear while my foot is all the way down... does that count as riding the clutch?

Once in a while I do give it some gas, but I still end up the same way with the clutch fully pressed once I've got enough momentum to let me move around.
Yep yep yep, same here. Just that inertia to get going, then fully depressed until I need more.

Riding the clutch can fuck up the throwout bearing me thinks. I've been able to hear mine for the last 15k miles. Bought my car used so idk how the previous owner fucked with it. I might just change it when I drop in a new clutch.

Any time the clutch is disengaged the bearing is being worn, I don't think it matters if it's partial engagement or not. Maybe it depends on the transmission?

my brother used to be so fearful of riding the clutch in his car that he'd whip out of the garage to engage it as fast as possible to the point that he curbed his wheels on two occasions against small walls outside his garage.

i finally convinced him that his clutch would be fine and that holding it in reverse was better than potentially causing serious damage to his car.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's funny - when asking "how to do this in a manual" questions on the internet/Google, you quickly realize everybody has been doing it "their way for 20 years and have been fine."

I'm convinced that so long as you're trying to be smart, and not purposefully dumping the clutch and know better than to rest your foot on the clutch or your hand on the shifter, your car is going to be fine.

I'll probably come up with a bunch more questions in the next week.

I'm currently at the airport waiting on my delayed flight out to West Virginia. My tiny, one-car garage is clean, but has stuff in it right now - so my baby is just sitting at home in the driveway. Having that red SRT key fob in my briefcase makes me feel way more badass than I have any right to.

Also, I took the jeep to the airport, so for folks driving by, they have to think I'm the douchiest husband - the Hellcat sitting next to a worn out 2010 Fusion.

mkenyon

Banned
It's funny - when asking "how to do this in a manual" questions on the internet/Google, you quickly realize everybody has been doing it "their way for 20 years and have been fine."

I'm convinced that so long as you're trying to be smart, and not purposefully dumping the clutch and know better than to rest your foot on the clutch or your hand on the shifter, your car is going to be fine.

I'll probably come up with a bunch more questions in the next week.

I'm currently at the airport waiting on my delayed flight out to West Virginia. My tiny, one-car garage is clean, but has stuff in it right now - so my baby is just sitting at home in the driveway. Having that red SRT key fob in my briefcase makes me feel way more badass than I have any right to.

Also, I took the jeep to the airport, so for folks driving by, they have to think I'm the douchiest husband - the Hellcat sitting next to a worn out 2010 Fusion.
LOL

Maybe they think the Hellcat is your wife's? :p

Top Bottom