• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Fate/Grand Order: First Order

If the number of things you like from Fate is Zero, this won't convince you otherwise. Was fairly enjoyable overall though.
I actually liked the setup part more than when things got rolling, because it felt like things got dumber and dumber inbetween the action (which was nice overall), culminating into the really cringeworthy villain reveal part at the end.

Also was fairly confused when Lancer was a Caster here and Rider Lancer. I thought heroic spirits had a class based on what's most fitting and not that they can be summoned into different classes and suddenly have a different moveset despite being the same heroic spirit.
saitamaokay.png
But I guess that's the gacha bleeding into the 'lore' or whatever.

JulianImp

dead

I watched the Digimon movies, but putting the nostalgia factor aside, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Last two you mentioned I didn't watch.

Same here. Nostalgia aside, I think the plot was meh and the animation looked really cheap. I'd definitely not recommend Tri to anyone who isn't a Digimon fan, because it's just... bland.

Ascheroth

Same here. Nostalgia aside, I think the plot was meh and the animation looked really cheap. I'd definitely not recommend Tri to anyone who isn't a Digimon fan, because it's just... bland.

Yah, I really didn't like the Digimon Movies either. Although I've only scrubbed through most of 2 and 3 since I couldn't be bothered.

Appli Monsters is the much better new Digimon thing.

I also wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is a Digimon fan, because it would probably just piss them off.

Fate/Grand Order: First Order

If the number of things you like from Fate is Zero, this won't convince you otherwise. Was fairly enjoyable overall though.
I actually liked the setup part more than when things got rolling, because it felt like things got dumber and dumber inbetween the action (which was nice overall), culminating into the really cringeworthy villain reveal part at the end.

Also was fairly confused when Lancer was a Caster here and Rider Lancer. I thought heroic spirits had a class based on what's most fitting and not that they can be summoned into different classes and suddenly have a different moveset despite being the same heroic spirit.
saitamaokay.png
But I guess that's the gacha bleeding into the 'lore' or whatever.
Actually this has always been possible.

i.e. Berserker from Fate/Zero could have been a Lancer or even an Assassin I believe.

T-Rex.

Banned
Fate Grand Order

Archer cameo. Saber cameo. A minor Nero cameo. It's Fate, I liked it. You do kinda have to switch off and just enjoy it for what is though because it gets dumber as it goes on culminating in one dumbass villain reveal which answers nothing.

now give me EMIYA from the gacha you fucks

Ascheroth

Actually this has always been possible.

i.e. Berserker from Fate/Zero could have been a Lancer.

But... how. I can't wrap my head around how this can work. I feel like I'm missing something crucial here.
From my understanding a heroic spirit has a single Noble Phantasm based on what he was when alive.
Lancer has Gae Bolg in Fate/Stay Night, UBW and Zero. He was Caster in Grand Order and apparently had a different Noble Phantasm, that Wicker Man thing. Or was that just some high level magic?
Or is it that classes decide the Noble Phantasm, like Saber wouldn't have Excalibur as a Caster for example?
I'm confused.

Kansoku

Can someone explain to me how Japanese people can make a bunch of amazing stuff (like some anime, games and music), and have such a bad taste?

Thud

Can someone explain to me how Japanese people can make a bunch of amazing stuff (like some anime, games and music), and have such a bad taste?

Look at your own country, you'll probably see something similar :p.

The results are normalized, this means things with mass appeal tend to sell better.

But... how. I can't wrap my head around how this can work. I feel like I'm missing something crucial here.
From my understanding a heroic spirit has a single Noble Phantasm based on what he was when alive.
Lancer has Gae Bolg in Fate/Stay Night, UBW and Zero. He was Caster in Grand Order and apparently had a different Noble Phantasm, that Wicker Man thing. Or was that just some high level magic?
Or is it that classes decide the Noble Phantasm, like Saber wouldn't have Excalibur as a Caster for example?
I'm confused.
I couldn't possibly explain to you the entire reasoning behind it. Also know the franchise breaks its own rules at times.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FGO

Shorter tutorial than FFXIII
wink.gif

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm confused.
It's cos when they lived and did all their heroic shit they didn't have classes or anything, that's a grail war exclusive, so even though Cu was most famous for his ability with the lance, he was also taught runes, magic and all that stuff so in a holy grail war he could be summoned as either a Lancer or a Caster since he was skilled at that as well. It's mentioned in the visual novel as well iirc so it's kinda a retcon, but also kinda not.

Ascheroth

It's cos when they lived and did all their heroic shit they didn't have classes or anything, that's a grail war exclusive, so even though Cu was most famous for his ability with the lance, he was also taught runes, magic and all that stuff so in a holy grail war he could be summoned as either a Lancer or a Caster since he was skilled at that as well. It's mentioned in the visual novel as well iirc so it's kinda a retcon, but also kinda not.

Huh, that does make sense when you put it that way.
So it's like some heroic spirits could have different classes that harness different aspects of their abilities, but not every heroic spiric can be every class just because.
Got it.

Want to get even dumber? They don't even have to be people. The Servant Nursery Rhyme(Caster) is based on the concept of Nursery Rhymes not an actual person.

I stopped looking for complete consistency when I saw that.

T-Rex.

Banned
Huh, that does make sense when you put it that way.
So it's like some heroic spirits could have different classes that harness different aspects of their abilities, but not every heroic spiric can be every class just because.
Got it.
Yeah basically. So Heracles could have been summoned as either a Berserker (which he was in F/SN) or an Archer, but you wouldn't get him summoned as a Caster just for the sake of it and so on. I dunno about the NP though, it might just be a case of that being their most powerful move with that specific weapon/class.

That sounds like a good thing though ;P

It's bad enough in summer in Japan anyway without even going to Comiket.

But after the Comiket disaster the today's episode became a great festival episode (Meiji Shrine) and lewd night life action in Shibuya.
I hope you don't forget the latter one in your gaf trip plannings.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is Crunchy Roll billing page down for anyone else? Looks like I got a billing error that cancelled my account and am getting an error on that page when I try to fix it. =\

Yeah basically. So Heracles could have been summoned as either a Berserker (which he was in F/SN) or an Archer, but you wouldn't get him summoned as a Caster just for the sake of it and so on. I dunno about the NP though, it might just be a case of that being their most powerful move with that specific weapon/class.
Seems like its based on maybe what they were good at at the time since Saber Lily is the same person as (Blue) Saber but she has Caliburn as her NP since at the time she didn't have Excalibur yet.

How lewd? On a scale from handholding to hentai?

Booking a 90min room kind of lewd. Now I have -45min to get fit for day. I'm so fucking drunken, it's a miracle that I found the hotel in Ikekuburo.

Luckily, the hotel got featured in the Yakuza series so often so I can play out my videogame experience out.

Fate Grand Order - First Order -

This is definitely an advert for the mobile game, but it wasn't bad at all. I actually enjoyed this new take on the Fate franchise and it was cool seeing some of the characters we are used to filling different servant roles. We also got a few cameos from the other Fate continuity so there was that. No idea whether they will be making more of these, the name does indicate that there may be more to come, and the ending was basically a non-ending as well. If you like Fate, you will like this for sure. Ufotable this isn't but the action is still competent and flashy enough, with enough woomph to it.

Line_HTX

And I thought there were too many Marvel things... That's nothing. There's way way too many Fate stuff.

Let me just see Heaven's Feel and I'll be done with it all. Don't give me all this other side shit.

T-Rex.

Banned
Seems like its based on maybe what they were good at at the time since Saber Lily is the same person as (Blue) Saber but she has Caliburn as her NP since at the time she didn't have Excalibur yet.
Yeah, that makes sense actually. So it can vary depending on what period of their life they're summoned from. I.E. Cu Berserker has claws because at that point in his life his body became deformed and he'd use his entire body as a weapon and so in his Berserker form that's his NP and so on. Plus Cu Caster definitely looks older than Cu Lancer.

I think it's actually been stated that Heracles could qualify for any class beside caster. But yeah NP seems to depend largely on class and age of the summoned spirit

Narag

I think it's actually been stated that Heracles could qualify for any class beside caster. But yeah NP seems to depend largely on class and age of the summoned spirit

I recall something similar as I'm thinkingt the f/sn anime stuff I watched said something like they specifically summoned him as Berserker for str boost/ensure obedience or some shit.

Finished up Flip Flappers and that was pretty......good? Episodes 7-8 were a little blah but I actually didn't mind them turning up the story in the later episodes. My theories were nowhere near right so I enjoyed the surprises. I was expecting the worst after reading some impressions about how the shows direction and stuff changed in the later episodes.

Aside from some story plotholes, COCONACOCONA, and the uncomfortable sexualization of some of the girls, I really liked it. I loved the artstyle, designs, music and fight scenes. It felt fresh and extremely creative even though it was basically a high school magical girl anime. I wish we got more of the Twins in the final episodes and was bummed they didn't get to transform.

Sayuri best girl

Thoraxes

They're indeed a joy to watch.

I take it you're talking just about Yuuko in the latter part of this ? Kaori behaved saintlike in the whole situation from what I remember.

Your effort devoted to these was kinda awe inducing. They've been always a treat to read even if the musical aspect of the series never exactly spoke to me too much. Thanks.
- Yuuko and Natsuki's fun relationship is just a treat. They play off each other so well.

- Yeah Yuuko. Though Kaori had a depressed look on her face in the season 1 performance. I was focusing mostly on Yuuko for this episode cause it was the first time she smiled during that part of the piece!

And thanks for the compliments! It was something that really spoke to me, so I wanted to return the effort and help more people be able to appreciate it!
History Maker probably gets an added amount of attention because it uses an unusual musical style for anime OP songs as well as a singer who can actually sing English. I'm not really big on the song though; within its chosen style it feels fairly generic. From a strictly musical perspective, my favorite OP songs from 2016 are Megumi Hayashibara's Usurahi Shinju from Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu followed by Boom Boom Satellites' Lay Your Hands on Me.
I started compiling a list of 5 OPs and 5 EDs I liked this year when I was at work this morning, but I need to go through a few more lists to be sure.

There are clear ways to improve Digimon Tri
1. Bring back Davis
2. Increase the amount of Yamato and Tai alone time and screen time.
3. Bring back Davis
4. Bring back Davis.
5. Bring back Davis and TK.
6. Bring on the World Trigger animators to increase the amount of particles in Digivolution scenes.

Thud

There are clear ways to improve Digimon Tri
1. Bring back Davis
2. Increase the amount of Yamato and Tai alone time and screen time.
3. Bring back Davis
4. Bring back Davis.
5. Bring back Davis and TK.
6. Bring on the World Trigger animators to increase the amount of particles in Digivolution scenes.

Man, dubs ruin names.

Anyway happy new year you filthy animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom