• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club: 20 great TV episodes too painful to watch twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Actually, my mind went to one scene in particular from a much much older work.

aNjR9tU.png

(From a grittier-than-most medical drama, Cardiac Arrest. The full scene is here). Really really really not for the faint-hearted.

Cardiac Arrest is actually intended as a dark comedy, believe it or not.

akileese

I get why they picked -30- over final grades but nothing had a more profound effect on me than Bubbles just completely destroyed and wracked with guilt over Sherrod's death. Actually, That's Got His own is probably worse since that has Randy's house being firebombed, which leads to Randy completely rejecting Carver.

Jesus both of those episodes were absolutely awful emotionally.

Actually, my mind went to one scene in particular from a much much older work.

aNjR9tU.png

(From a grittier-than-most medical drama, Cardiac Arrest. The full scene is here). Really really really not for the faint-hearted.

Jeeeeeez. I'm not squeamish at all and that gave me a minor anxiety attack.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No Lem murder or Shane murder suicide? Shield got ripped

They forgot Terriers

The scence where Brit mistakenly beats the shit out of his girlfriend's friend thinking he was one the one that knocked her up. When all along she was sleeping around with her professor.

That's a good list. That event in The Sopranos haunts me. And my girlfriend always makes me skip Scott's Tots during my constant rewatching of the series. I love how the relationship between Erin and Michael develops over the 6th and 7th seasons, but how poorly he treats her in this one is hilarious. "I miss Pam."

They forgot Terriers

The scence where Brit mistakenly beats the shit out of his girlfriend's friend thinking he was one the one that knocked her up. When all along she was sleeping around with her professor.

I agree with Terriers, but different episode/scene

The one where the woman is dying of cancer and she hires them to find the valuable piece of jewelery her husband took and gave to his mistress. The scene where she breaks down at the end is a killer.

infi

the episode where Lucy and Dr. Carter get stabbed.

I was pretty young when that episode was on but it broke me. I can't think of another show that had so many gut wrenching episodes yet I still kept tuning in each week.

Surprised about the Gilmore Girls episode being mentioned, I never had any trouble re watching that one.

Joni

The Scott’s Tots episode is the only one on the list that I can't watch. I even skipped most of it because you know how hard it sucks for those kids. Stuff like Game of Thrones isn't hard to watch.

Peru

Shoddy list with a very narrow American focus in some ways, but obviously some correct inclusions and I'm very happy to see Gilmore Girls included and the Rory-Lorelai split redeemed (it obviously fucked with some core dynamics of the show but that was what made it interesting).

NotLiquid

I'll say that everytime I rewatched Breaking Bad I couldn't stomach re-experiencing Ozymandias. The moment where
the family has a skirmish and Walter kidnaps the baby
is the moment I go "I want to get off Mr. Gilligan's wild ride".

Seconding the lack of Scrubs mentions. My Lunch and My Screw Up were heartbreaking.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The Rains of Castamere doesn't bother me that much, but I can never watch The Mountain and the Viper again. Never. Nope.

This is what I came to say after reading the list. I know most people go with The Rains but I never cared all that much for
Robb and Catelyn
anyway. Mountain and the Viper though, fuuucking jesus I haven't gone back to that.

Ramza

Banned
This is what I came to say after reading the list. I know most people go with The Rains but I never cared all that much for
Robb and Catelyn
anyway. Mountain and the Viper though, fuuucking jesus I haven't gone back to that.

Mountain and the Viper is the only TV show episode that ever caused me to lose sleep.

That's a great list and I have seen most episodes / shows on that list. The mention of the ER episode "Love Labor's Lost" is awesome. The episode really shocked me when it aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom