• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar sequels officially begin filming Sept 25. Are standalone sequels.

Cameron giving a little more info. He's already shooting on the mo-cap stages with the stand-ins before the principals come in September. The live-action, non mo-cap portion of shooting won't begin for 19 MONTHS.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...nator-2-is-happening-now-20170725-gxi0wk.html

It's pretty much a six-plus day a week job for me now," the three-time Oscar winner says from Los Angeles. "I'm on stage every day, designing, working out the sets, shooting with what we call our troupe, which is our group of multi-character-playing actors who are the precursors for when I bring the principal cast in, which starts in September."

To give you a sense of the scope of the project, I don't even start the live-action part of the production for about 19 months," he says, adding that viewers can expect them to be "better, bigger, brighter, more visually imaginative and more emotional".

shira

Cameron giving a little more info. He's already shooting on the mo-cap stages with the stand-ins before the principals come in September. The live-action, non mo-cap portion of shooting won't begin for 19 MONTHS.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...nator-2-is-happening-now-20170725-gxi0wk.html

I wonder if Sam Worthington has improved as a mocap actor. You always hear about Serkis, but I don't really consider any other mocap actors as good or having improved since Avatar.

aadiboy

Are the movies going to take place right after each other, or are they going to be separate stories? Because if they are one big story, I say it's good they're doing them all at once. That way they can just release them back to back.

So he won't start shooting the live action stuff until... 2019. And then he's got to shoot 4 movies.

There is no 'And then'. He's shooting footage for all four films simultaneously.

Are the movies going to take place right after each other, or are they going to be separate stories? Because if they are one big story, I say it's good they're doing them all at once. That way they can just release them back to back.

They're stand-alone films with connective tissue/an overarching narrative. No cliffhangers.

Box office bomb avatar bet.

If it makes its money back, I'll change my avatar to Cameron's ex wife Linda Hamilton for a year.

Fuck that. We get to choose your avatar for you. Hope you don't end up like PheonixDark did when he made an avatar bet against Cameron.

Glad to see that they are finally shooting, can't wait to see how these turn out. Has there been any updated release dates for these? If the non-mocap scenes aren't being shot for another 19 months, it puts us to around Feb 2019. If they then have to wrap up 4 films worth of shooting and then do visuals for the first movie, it makes me think it could be pushed to 2020.

Edit: Looks like they are still planning on releasing:

Dec 2020
Dec 2021
Dec 2024
Dec 2025

Glad to see that they are finally shooting, can't wait to see how these turn out. Has there been any updated release dates for these? If the non-mocap scenes aren't being shot for another 19 months, it puts us to around Feb 2019. If they then have to wrap up 4 films worth of shooting and then do visuals for the first movie, it makes me think it could be pushed to 2020.

James Cameron and Fox have set the release dates for the four ”Avatar" sequels, starting on Dec. 18, 2020, for ”Avatar 2."

”Avatar 3" will open  Dec. 17, 2021, followed by a three- year break for ”Avatar 4, set for Dec.20, 2024. ”Avatar 5" will then open on Dec. 19, 2025.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/avatar-sequel-release-dates-2020-1202392897/

The three year gap is gonna suck balls.

But they have been shooting mo-cap stuff for a while now in the Volume soundstage with non-principals.
18077065_101548387574zqriw.jpg

FTF

Box office bomb avatar bet.

If it makes its money back, I'll change my avatar to Cameron's ex wife Linda Hamilton for a year.

Spaced Harrier to combine the production and marketing budgets for all the sequels and claim victory when 2 doesn't hit $2b ww.

Three year gap between the 3rd and 4th films so after Cameron sets the new action bar, he gives others a smidge of time to attempt to reach it before he returns and raises it again.

Only George Miller passed the test since 2009.

By the time the last film in the franchise hits, Stephen Lang will be 73.
I'm wondering if he'll still be playing a big buff military dude in the sequels or will he get avatar'd up and turned into a blue cat cuz I while I've heard HGH's pros outweigh its cons as you age I can't imagine this guy like that in his 70s lol.

It's pretty crazy in general how far out these movies are still. And here I was thinking the 5 year wait for the Godzilla sequel was stupid haha.

I'm wondering if he'll still be playing a big buff military dude in the sequels or will he get avatar'd up and turned into a blue cat cuz I while I've heard HGH's pros outweigh its cons as you age I can't imagine this guy like that in his 70s lol.

It's pretty crazy in general how far out these movies are still. And here I was thinking the 5 year wait for the Godzilla sequel was stupid haha.

Difference is that the Godzilla sequel will likely be your run-of-the-mill forgettable tentpole film that you Netflix while waiting for the delivery guy to arrive.

Top Bottom