• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 10th Anniversary Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

306 The Avatar and the Firelord

Original airdate: October 26, 2007
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz
Directed by: Ethan Spaulding

ee34DTe.png
tTpY8DM.png

307 The Runaway

Original airdate: November 2, 2007
Written by: Joshua Hamilton
Directed by: Giancarlo Volpe

We have two very different one-offs. One of them is considered the backstory episode of Avatar, one that packs so much story into 22 minutes. The other has an obnoxious in media res opening while containing a mixed bag of character development. Both of them are worth watching though, for some good character development and even subtle foreshadowing to The Legend of Korra.

The Avatar and the Firelord is really good. Very unnecessary, but it really helps build the relationships and connections that create and propel this story even further. Plus, the Dragonbone Catacombs are the sickest named catacombs ever. It's never revealed who is giving Zuko the notes exactly, but it's heavily implied to be Iroh via third party.

The Runaway has some funny moments, but it's one of my least favorite episodes in the series. It's just kinda boring. Great if you love Toph shenanigans, but otherwise it's just okay. It's good development for Toph, however, and focuses on an aspect of her we don't get in anything else. Also develops her relationship with Katara, and a bit of Katara's character as well. It's nice from a character building standpoint, but otherwise boring. Based on my earlier statements, it's the opposite of Sokka's Master, in that way. Actually bringing into focus aspects of these characters and their relationship that aren't really brought to light at many other points (with the primary focus being on Toph), but doing so in a rather boring and uninteresting way. It's fine for the first viewing, but it yields diminishing returns.

Toothless

The Avatar and the Firelord

This is an episode I always forget about, probably because it’s pretty unconventional for Avatar. That doesn’t make it back, not at all. It’s probably in the upper-tier since it has a true epic feel, with some truly striking shots cinematography-wise in the episode. I also love how the episode starts and ends with Aang, so you think it’s about him primarily – and it is, since besides The Southern Raiders, this episode probably deals with Aang’s psychological state in the finale most. However, the truly interesting part of this episode is one of Zuko and Iroh’s only interactions in Book 3. It drops the huge bombshell on Zuko that completely makes you rethink what his “destiny” truly is. I also would randomly like to point out that this is the last time you see Aang in his regular clothes. Ron Perlman’s guest spot is great too. All in all, it’s a pretty good unconventional episode.

The Runaway

A very forgettable episode with some really, really great character moments for all four of the Gaang. Aang probably gets the least amount but he still has a lot of good gags, mostly working with Sokka, something that’s always fun. Also, with him spending the entire episode shirtless, it’s a good time to notice just how much he has grown physically over the show. Sokka has a heartfelt talk with Toph, Katara has good moments too. I don’t know, I’m not really interested in talking that much about this one. I’m always disappointed Hawky never came back though. A good, but forgettable episode.

Jacob

I really like The Avatar and the Firelord. It's one of the most ambitious episodes of the entire series, but it managees to execute on a very high level and thus fully lives up to that ambition. I love getting a detailed look at the past of the world (and especially how the Avatar's training is supposed to go) for the first time. And like many great episodes, it's full of excellent Aang/Zuko parallels. My only quibble is not actually with the episode itself, but with the fact that the crown prince's headpiece that Iroh gives to Zuko never comes up again. But that's really minor.

The Runaway is another of those Book 3 episode that my thoughts have changed on over time. At some points when I was younger Katara's character bugged me, but in retrospect this episode has some really great character moments, especially for Katara of course, but also for all of the other members of the Gaang. Some stuff is played a little over the top for comedy, but there is a real emotional heart to this episode. Thematically it's a bit similar to "The Chase", but real people's development isn't linear so I think it's good that the characters' development isn't either. ATLA was fortunate to have a format that allowed them to take their time so much. There are also some really funny bits here, including the return of Sokka's Wang Fire disguise and "Sparky Sparky Boom Man". It's the sort of episode that one might skim over on first watch because it's not plot-centric, but I've come to believe more and more each time I watch it that the greatness of Avatar is at least as dependent on the character-centric and side story episodes. This isn't necessarily the best example of that kind of episode, but it's still pretty dang good in my book.

Toothless

308 The Puppetmaster

Original airdate: November 9, 2007
Written by: Tim Hedrick
Directed by: Joaquim Dos Santos

309 Nightmares and Daydreams

Original airdate: November 16, 2007
Written by: John O'Bryan

I have a headache, so this is gonna be brief. We've got a scary episode and a funny episode before the eclipse arrives. I have good fun with both of them personally. Woo!

The Puppetmaster is one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite episode in the show. Fantastic episode for Katara (though I wish the aftereffects of her horrified at the prospect of bloodbending had lasted longer over the course of the show). A great expansion on waterbending, and I also dug the fact that this episode is the only one in the series that has a horror-edge to it. It's a very unique episode, and I really like it a lot. Especially fantastic episode for Katara, and I imagine one that Katara fans hold in high regard.

Nightmares and Daydreams is a really funny episode. Honestly, the moments in this episode get me every time (Appa and Momo is an acid trip). Ultimately, while a solid episode for Aang that really gets into his head about his up and coming confrontation, it's an unnecessary episode as a whole. It adds nothing to the plot, and while it does add a bit of insight to Aang's character, it's a temporary insight and I don't think we needed that. Honestly, skipping this one and going right from the previous episode and into the next, you don't really miss anything. Aang's character doesn't change much, and doesn't lose anything by not having this episode. Like I said though, it's a fun episode and nice to have. Lightens the mood after the darkness of the previous episode, though it's also a bit of mood whiplash in that regard.

Jacob

The Puppetmaster is a phenomenal episode. Spooky, emotionally heavy, morally complex, a fascinating edition to the bending arts, and a memorable character episode for Katara. Not much more to say about it right now other than it just being a top-notch example of the show's creativity and craftsmanship.

Nightmares and Daydreams is one that I didn't get at first. I used to think it undercut the seriousness of the subsequent invasion, but especially after having seen "The Ember Island Players", I think the whole "deep breath before the plunge" episode is a good idea. Plus, it's fucking hilarious. The Aang/Katara kiss scene is legendary, but talking Appa and Momo has gotta be my favorite. It's bizarre, but it ends up being really memorable in its own way.

Toothless

The Puppetmaster

This episode is great because of the tremendous sense of atmosphere. It’s basically if the writers said “Hey, let’s make a horror movie episode!” and we got this and it’s pretty damn good. The only flaw is a severe lack of Toph dialogue, but the creepy atmosphere more than makes up for it. Hama is probably the best one-off villain and the fight at the end is phenomenal. The entire idea of Bloodbending is incredibly unnerving, and this episode does a good job of addressing it.

Nightmares and Daydreams

This one’s a lot of fun. The trippiness of the third act is great, especially with the Appa v. Momo fight. That said, “Baby, you’re my forever girl” is also really really funny, and the entire main plot gives us some great character moments for all four of the Gaang. I can’t see this episode not being enjoyable in a fun sense. It also gives us some legitimately great development from Zuko as he starts to reach his final decisions before the eclipse. Basically, this episode is a nice breather until the very serious (with the exception of one episode) second half of season 3.

Toothless

310 The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion

Original airdate: November 30, 2007
Written by: Michael Dante DiMartino

311 The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse

Original airdate: November 30, 2007
Written by: Aaron Ehasz

The long awaited invasion comes, and along with it comes the largest scale battle Avatar ever gave us (well, besides Korra maybe; I have no idea what happens in Book 3 and 4 there). It's an emotional, action-packed episode that serves as the best midseason finale of the entire series and every beat hits. Time for the eclipse.

Pau

Always, always cry in the Day of Black Sun, Part 2. This part in particular:
Zuko: For so long, all I wanted was for you to love me, to accept me. I thought it was my honor I wanted, but really, I was just trying to please you. You, my father, who banished me just for talking out of turn. My father, who challenged me, a thirteen-year-old boy, to an Agni Kai. How could you possibly justify a duel with a child?
Ozai: It was to teach you respect!
Zuko: It was cruel! And it was wrong!
Ozai: Then you have learned nothing!
Zuko: No. I've learned everything!
This is how you pay off a character arc. To see Zuko finally, finally see the abuse for what it was, to stop blaming himself for it, to confront his abuser. It was so worth everything we went through with Zuko. And Dante fucking sells it.

The Puppetmaster is one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite episode in the show. Fantastic episode for Katara (though I wish the aftereffects of her horrified at the prospect of bloodbending had lasted longer over the course of the show). A great expansion on waterbending, and I also dug the fact that this episode is the only one in the series that has a horror-edge to it. It's a very unique episode, and I really like it a lot. Especially fantastic episode for Katara, and I imagine one that Katara fans hold in high regard.
I don't know how much we're allowed to talk about Korra in here but:
I really wish Katara's feelings had come up more in the first season considering how close she was to the whole practice.

Toothless

The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion

This episode is notable for being the only one where it’s all about a large scale invasion, I guess that’s kind of obvious from the title. It’s full of cool tactical movements a lot of people always wanted from Avatar but never ever got except for this one. It’s cool though since the episode is great, and full of good character moments for everyone... except Toph really, but eh, there are cool moments with her, and the next episode is full of her, so it’s okay. The big issue though are the awful CGI vehicles; God, I don’t know what they were thinking. Still though, the episode manages to be entertaining and sets up the next one, which is notably better. The final line of the episode still gave me chills too!

The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse

Yeah, this episode might just be the most chilling episode of Avatar. It’s our heroes’ biggest loss, one with fantastic writing and choreography. Zuko and Ozai’s scene is one of the series’ best, and Azula manipulating Toph, Aang, and Sokka is another highlight of the entire series. The ending, when Aang just breaks down crying but knows he has to give inspiration, and although it’s a quiet moment, it’s one that defines Aang’s character. It also sees the meh introduction of Haru, Teo, and the Duke to the central Gaang, but… yeah, that’s not really anything. The end with Zuko flying off after Aang is one worthy of the unfortunate eight month long wait that followed it in broadcast, getting everyone excited for the second half of book 2.

Jacob

I was never actually the biggest fan of the big battle scenes in The Day of Black Sun, but there is definitely a lot to love here. Seeing so many guest stars from Books 1 and 2 was a wonderful moment, though I have mixed feelings about the level of steampunk here (aka "Steam. Powered. Jetskis."). The battle itself felt a little too video gamey, with the whole "okay, on to that next turret" thing, but the action looks nice and this level of ambition is to be applauded. I just think I prefer the Book 1 finale for large scale battles in Avatar.

Character-wise, this is arguably Azula's finest hour, ranking up there with her capture of Ba Sing Se. Sokka does great until Azula just has to go there. Return of the Dai Li is nice and, as said, the Zuko/Ozai showdown was great. Definitely a worthy mid-season finale.

Also, is that a
putative Phoenix King banner I see in the Ozai throne room screenshot? I never noticed that before.

The Day of Black Sun is just good. Both parts. Just good. I don't have much to say beyond that.
I don't know how much we're allowed to talk about Korra in here but:
I really wish Katara's feelings had come up more in the first season considering how close she was to the whole practice.

Well, to be fair
it was because of her that a law that made bloodbending illegal was even created in the first place. I mean as far as we know, between ATLA and TLoK she was the only bloodbender out there. Which means she created a law to keep HERSELF from bloodbending. I'd say we get a nice glimpse.

Spinluck

I just started watching this, I really like the animation and style. Story is simple enough to follow too, and they do a really good job of not overloading you with characters.

Dialogue is mostly straightforward and to the point, humor is not bad, but not funny to me either (worth noting it's not a comedy show but it is an action cartoon aimed at kids-->so jokes required). So far I'm up to episode 8 of season 1, I'm hoping to finish and move onto Korra.

Jacob

Glad to hear you're enjoying the show so far, Spinluck. :) Most people seem to think it starts hitting its stride in the second half of the first season, but there's some really good stuff before then. It gets a little bit less stereotypically kids show later on, but the humor remains.

PS don't let "The Great Divide" get you down. :p

Toothless

312 The Western Air Temple

Original airdate: July 14, 2008
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz, Tim Hedrick

313 The Firebending Masters

Original airdate: July 15, 2008
Written by: John O'Bryan

First off, have a second half of Book 3 trailer! Zuko joins the Gaang in these episodes, adding a unique new dynamic that isn't actually shown much; episode 317 is probably the only instance of the entire new Gaang together. Yep, it's time for "field trips with Zuko", a fascinating part of the show where we see how our favorite Firebender affects specific members. Enjoy an Indiana Jones reference filled episode too!

Toothless

The Western Air Temple

Another transition episode in a sense, but also the best of the episodes I’d consider transitional episodes. Dante Basco’s vocal performance is absolutely at its best, with the imitations of Iroh and Azula being a highlight, but also him selling the good Zuko perfectly. The episode thankfully doesn’t try to make Zuko immediately accepted by the entire Gaang, choosing instead to wait to develop those all (except Toph... but then again, she essentially accepts Zuko entirely by the end of the episode). The final fight with Combustion Man is a bit anticlimactic, but I don’t really care. Also, the Needless Three prove to be decent comic relief in just how useless they are. All in all, this episode works just because of how alienated the Gaang is, and the upcoming “field trips with Zuko” episodes will make us all wish we had more time with the reformed Zuko.

The Firebending Masters

I don’t really want to talk much about this one. It’s a fun Indiana Jones reference with cool stuff related to the Mayans. The dragons are cool and so are Zuko and Aang’s interactions. To be honest though, it’s the worst of the field trips with Zuko episodes, just because the others offer a lot more fun and interesting moments. Not a bad episode at all, but really, slightly forgettable.

Jacob

The Western Air Temple is one of those "at last!" episodes, not just because of the seven month wait for it to air (unless you bought volume 3 of the DVD set, which was released before the television premiere, or if you watched a version online), but also because so many people had been rooting for Zuko to join the Gaang since at least the first episode of Book 2. Of course, it wouldn't have made sense for Zuko to be accepted right off the bat, so I agree with Toothless here. The Western Air Temple is a wonderful set and it's nice to have a twist on the standard air temple design for the last one we see. Pretty good episode all around.

Honestly never been a big fan of The Firebending Masters. I do enjoy Zuko and Aang bonding and the Indiana Jones references are fun, but the trope of the long lost ancient tribe is not one of my favorites and IMO doesn't make a ton of sense. (How do they speak the common language of the other nations? Just how often do people visit them but keep their existence a secret?) However, treating this episode as a comparative disappointment is to some extent a reflection of how good the rest of the show is. I really can't complain too much here.

These are some good episodes.

My only question is that given the nature of what we find out in The Firebending Masters, with the fire coming from different sources and clearly being different colors because of it, does this mean that Azula has been drawing her fire from a different emotional source than everyone else? I mean, we're never given a proper explanation for her flame color aside from "she's a prodigy." Beyond that we don't get anything.

Toothless

314 The Boiling Rock, Part 1

Original airdate: July 16, 2008
Written by: May Chan

315 The Boiling Rock, Part 2

Original airdate: July 16, 2008
Written by: Joshua Hamilton

A two-parter about Sokka and Zuko which is pretty fascinating in how well it works despite the fact that there's only two "regulars" in the plot. Of course, they're both Avatar's strongest characters, so I guess it makes sense.

Jacob

One of my favorite episodes of Book 3 and of the series. They manage to squeeze so many great plots into 22 episodes but it's even more impressive what they can do with their two-parters. Sokka and Zuko definitely get the best field trip of the bunch, but the return of Suki (and Ozai's Angels, especially Mai) are what really make this a stand-out for me. Well, that and the Sokka/Hakoda bonding. And the excellent fight sequences. And the humor, with highlights including "my first girlfriend turned into the moon" and almost everything Chit Sang says. And ... well, it's just a phenomenal double episode. Been looking forward to this one since we started.

Fantastic two-parter. Part Two especially. Not much else to say on that front. Sokka and Zuko have a genuine dynamic that I really enjoy, good action, good set-up considering that's all Part One is, and a great payoff.

Hamlet

The Boiling Rock Part 1 & 2
Yep fantastic two episodes. Nothing like a good prison escape episode. So many great fights and quotes throughout it. Not to mention the great duo that Zuko and Sokka ended up being. The brief bonding moments Sokka gets with Hakoda are also really sweet and same with the lovely ending. Mai and Ty Lee also benefit from some nice development in this.
"That's rough, buddy." is easily one of the funniest lines in the show. Its also pretty amusing seeing just how awkward it is between Sokka and Zuko at first on the war balloon "Pretty clouds. Yeah fluffy"
Zuko attempting a Uncle Iroh speech which ends up making no sense is great haha "So ... when life seems hard take a bite out of the silver sandwich!" He does a much better job later on in the episode thankfully.
Suki popping up in this was a really nice surprise when I first saw it and more Suki is always a good thing. Love the first awkward exchange between Suki and Zuko "Yeah, you kind of burned down my village. Oh, sorry about that. Nice to see you again."
Chit Sang is such a delight in this.
Now for some Suki goodness.
PCTsfGG.gif
hj14FPH.gif

iINelQum6ELUJ.gif

Toothless

The Boiling Rock, Part 1/The Boiling Rock, Part 2

As this is the only episode that blatantly ends with a “To Be Continued,” I will only write one paragraph for it. Fitting, seeing how this is really the only two-parter I can see only working as watching at the same. It feels like a mini-movie in ways other Avatar specials don’t, particularly in how it only focuses on Sokka and Zuko. There are great lines, awesome action, and legitimately great development. The closing scene with Mai and Ty Lee rebelling against Azula is still an amazing moment. We get more fun time with random Fire Nation guards, Chit Sang is an enjoyable, one-off character, and the Needless Three don’t even appear (except for Zuko’s joke at the beginning... so I guess they do appear). Still, this is a fantastic episode, a two-parter with perfect pacing and great cinematic feeling.

The Boiling Rock, Part 1/The Boiling Rock, Part 2

As this is the only episode that blatantly ends with a “To Be Continued,” I will only write one paragraph for it. Fitting, seeing how this is really the only two-parter I can see only working as watching at the same. It feels like a mini-movie in ways other Avatar specials don’t, particularly in how it only focuses on Sokka and Zuko. There are great lines, awesome action, and legitimately great development. The closing scene with Mai and Ty Lee rebelling against Azula is still an amazing moment. We get more fun time with random Fire Nation guards, Chit Sang is an enjoyable, one-off character, and the Needless Three don’t even appear (except for Zuko’s joke at the beginning... so I guess they do appear). Still, this is a fantastic episode, a two-parter with perfect pacing and great cinematic feeling.

How DARE you say that about Haru, the GREATEST of Avatarverse characters!

Jacob

I definitely agree that The Boiling Rock is one of the most cohesive multi-part episodes. That's not a criticism of any of the other ones, just a stylistic difference. Some of the criticism of part one (*coughnostalgiacriticcough*) has always struck me as a little bit misplaced as a result of that. I think the only other multi-parter that flows quite so fluidly is Sozin's Comet, which is sort of a TV movie.

Toothless

I definitely agree that The Boiling Rock is one of the most cohesive multi-part episodes. That's not a criticism of any of the other ones, just a stylistic difference. Some of the criticism of part one (*coughnostalgiacriticcough*) has always struck me as a little bit misplaced as a result of that. I think the only other multi-parter that flows quite so fluidly is Sozin's Comet, which is sort of a TV movie.

I just watched those vids for the first time about a month ago, and the entire Boiling Rock rant just felt super stupid. It was just very "Sokka and Zuko don't deserve a two-parter, when Katara and Aang don't get one" which is bullshit because The Boiling Rock adds a lot of closure to arcs that don't get time in the finale and is also super badass. Although, personally, I think Southern Raiders should've been a two-parter as well, but I'll get to that in my criticism of that episode. But yeah, Boiling Rock has probably the best flow of the two-parters.

(Will post the new episodes in a few hours btw.)

Toothless

316 The Southern Raiders

Original airdate: July 17, 2008
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz

317 The Ember Island Players

Original airdate: July 18, 2008
Written by: Tim Hedrick, Joshua Hamilton, John O'Bryan

We got the final calm-before-the-storm. Well, I guess we've more got a storm-before-the-calm-before-the-storm first. Both of these episodes are exemplary buildups to the awe-inspiring finale, one of which finishes up one of the show's longest running arcs with Katara, and the other is probably the funniest episode of Avatar ever. Avatar State, yip yip!

Hamlet

Yeah "The Ember Island Players" is easily the funniest episode of the series for me. Pretty unique way to do a recap episode. Yet again full of so many great lines and the little meta gags throughout it are fantastic "Look! It's the Great Divide! The biggest canyon in the Earth Kingdom! Eh, let's keep flying."
"Did Jet just ... die? You know, it was really unclear."
13GNoDI.gif

Tough Toph is amazing haha. "My name's Toph, because it sounds like tough, and that's just what I am!" Toph's sheer glee at her portrayal compared to the others makes it even better.

i feel you. a little sad because I fucking HATED korra. please jsut leave the series alone Nick

Nah i'd rather have more avatar than no avatar. Lots of people liked Korra also.

Toothless

The Southern Raiders

The final field trip with Zuko episode is a doozy, although it does pale compared to The Boiling Rock. I honestly feel like this is the rare episode of Avatar that feels rushed; if this could’ve been a two-parter, we would’ve got a much more fleshed out look on how Katara and Zuko truly bond. If only they could’ve worked in an environmental theme, then we could’ve cut out The Painted Lady and had this be a two-parter! For what it is, it’s nice because it’s the only one of the field trip episodes that includes the other two original Gaang members (in this case, Sokka and Aang) in pivotal roles, however minor it may be. We also finally got rid of a lot baggage, got some awesome fights/monologues, and had that awesome Suki/Sokka joke. It’s a good time, even though the actual adventure feels like it should be longer.

The Ember Island Players

The funniest recap episode ever. Probably the funniest Avatar episode too, but what’s also appreciated but never mentioned with these episodes are the Aang/Katara and Zuko/Toph conversations. They’re great, needed character moments before the finale, and they’re placed within the hilarity perfectly. I can’t even list the funny moments… I don’t even want to! It’s a great episode, and basically I’m tired about writing about this show even though I’m enjoying the rewatch!

Jacob

Two more phenomenal episodes here. The Southern Raiders might only be my second favorite of the field trip episodes, but I don't mean that as a knock against it. Toothless makes a good point about it being rushed; I forgot until now just how much takes place in this episode. The speed with which Azula's attack and the dismissal of the Gaang's affiliates occurs sorta invites the "needless" criticism. But the show follows up with the legendary Sokka joke (which in its own way was as boundary pushing as The Beach when it comes to recognizing sexuality as a thing), and the main story is affecting.

There are very few times other than the Air Nomad genocide that the Fire Nation is confirmed to have straight-up killed someone. The deliberate sacrifice of inexperienced troops (and the abuse of POWs) mentioned in Zuko Alone is one of the only other examples that come to mind. The raiders murdering Kya is kinda weird considering the lengths they went to keep Hama alive, but that doesn't detract from the quality of this episode's story.

Also, this shot is one of my favorite in the entire show. A still image doesn't really capture, it but man. Chills.

As for The Ember Island Players ... it's an incredible episode. Getting to see the Gaang being themselves with each other helps remind us of the value of "wacky, time-wasting nonsense" episodes. But really, the whole thing is just hilarious. And they still manage to include character development for Aang and Katara.

While this is obviously a recap episode, I think the fact that it isn't a clip show is a huge part of its success. I've tried to resist making comparisons to Korra in this thread, but the clip episode in Book 4 of that show sorta highlights the difference. Bryke got put in a shitty situation and they did probably the best job anyone could have reasonably done (the comparison to the Samurai Champloo clip show was fitting). But it was still something done out of necessity due to production issues, and it serves no place in the overall story of the season. It has no artistic reason for being. The Ember Island Players, silly as it can be, is an organic part of ATLA's third season, offers something new to the story, and leads directly into the finale. It's gotta be one of my favorites.

I've also always wondered if they wanted this to be a pre-emptive response to the live-action movie that they already knew was coming at this point. Whether it was deliberate or not, though, it fits perfectly (except that "decent" is a very generous appraisal of TLA's special effects).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E

Jacob

I hope no one minds me jumping back in for the finale since it's Sunday now! Big thanks to Toothless for keeping this going for the past few months. :)

318 Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King

Original airdate: July 19, 2008
Written by: Michael Dante DiMartino

319 Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters

Written by: Aaron Ehasz

320 Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno

Written by: Aaron Ehasz, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko

321 Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang

Written by: Aaron Ehasz, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko

At last, more than four months after the start of our journey, we've reached the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Thanks so much to everyone who stuck through all the way to the end, and to everyone else who participated in this thread even for a little bit. The finale is on another level in terms of production, though I'll leave my thoughts on the content (mostly positive, but with some reservations) in another post. This was intended to be a three-part episode, but they split the final one into two parts (indavdervently foreshadowing a certain trend in YA movie franchises a few years down the road?) because they felt it was too long, which is why this season has 21 episodes. Also, as one final note of trivia, Sozin's Comet aired at the end of a week-long burning off/farewell to Avatar that concluded on the same weekend that The Dark Knight hit theatres. Fortunately, Sozin's Comet (which aired on a Saturday evening) was not drowned out by TDK, because it had the most live viewers of any episode of Avatar.

Thanks again for everything, guys! I know this re-watch will keep an important place in my memories of Avatar. Hopefully we'll continue to get Avatar and Korra LTTP threads for many years to come, but don't forget the Avatar thread in the community forum as well. Until next time!

Toothless

I had a lot of fun doing this for Book 2 and 3, so yeah, thanks for giving me an outlet to share my opinion on Avatar with GAF for the first time :) Onto the final review!

Sozin’s Comet

I was going to write individual critiques of every episode, but I ultimately chose to watch these episodes as a movie. Putting it as a movie though, I actually feel pretty comfortable saying this would be the best animated movie of 2008. It just does about everything right, from the character moments to the action, from the humor to the sheer epic scale. The score is fantastic, there are moments of goosebumps and tears throughout the film. I’m even fine with the lionturtle; it may be deus ex machina, but it works fine thematically. The last scene is absolutely perfect, and it always makes me wish they had continued with those rumored TV movies, but honestly, the ending is fine on its own. Best animated show ever.

I truly believe this is a perfect finale. I have no gripes, and only positive feelings. As such, I won't go into detail on anything, save for one thing:

Iroh states his reasoning for not going after Ozai is because history will merely see it as a brother attacking a brother to grab power. Yet he tells Zuko to do precisely that (though it's bro vs. sis in this case). Azula is Fire Lord at that point, and then her sibling dethrones her and takes the position for his own. In this scenario, Iroh simply moved the negative spotlight from himself to his nephew. And granted, Iroh has other reasons as well, but I just thought that was something funny to point out.

Jacob

I love a lot of things about it, but I've always had reservations about Sozin's Comet, from the time I first watched it (during its original premiere). A lot of them feel rather churlish, but I haven't been able to entirely shake them. That said, the finale works surprisingly well as a semi-independent movie, starting off with calm and (re)introducing the characters before getting into the action. Though of course there's also those two minutes or something of "previously on Avatar". It's also a really good conclusion to most of the storylines that run throughout the series, but the apocalyptic tone and atypical pacing make it sometimes feel very different from much of what came before. Regardless, it ends on a perfect note (re-watching made me fall in love with that final shot of Ba Sing Se all over again and it's my new phone wallpaper now) and the feeling of emotional closure for the characters is profound, even though the politics of the world will obviously keep going on. (This is one of the reasons why I didn't care much for the continuation comics; they had to undo character development and then basically just retread the Book 3 arcs for a lot of the characters). All in all a really great send-off to a phenomenal show.

I gave up trying to rank every single episode early in Book 2, because it's too hard and ended up not being all that fun having to pick between various favorites. But for the sake of completeness, here is my gun-to-head favorite episodes of ATLA at this moment, which will probably be different tomorrow. :p I couldn't pare it down to just ten so here's a Top 20:

01. The Tales of Ba Sing Se
02. The Guru/The Crossroads of Destiny
03. The Boiling Rock
04. City of Walls and Secrets
05. The Blue Spirit
06. The Ember Island Players
07. Zuko Alone
08. The Siege of the North
09. The Blind Bandit
10. Sozin's Comet
11. The Cave of Two Lovers
12. The Storm
13. The Avatar and the Firelord
14. Lake Laogai
15. The Puppetmaster
16. The Headband
17. Jet
18. The Waterbending Master
19. The Drill
20. The Warriors of Kyoshi

I'm with Toothless in that I'm glad to have gotten to discuss the entirety of Avatar, episode by episode with you guys, and I hope everyone else enjoyed it too. Talking about Korra throughout its run was a ton of fun but I always loved the ATLA discussions that crept in, so I'd been looking forward to a thread like this for a long time. Thanks for sticking it out, guys. :)

The Hermit

I began my first watch along with this thread, but only realized that at the end of the first book. I guess it was meant to be.

I heard the praise of this cartoon for so long yet never had the chance to watch or believed that it was worth of my time. Boy was I wrong.

Few movies, books or games had as much heart as this treasure. When I tried to compare this to something the word "Star Wars" came to my mind. There are similarities, sure, yet Avatar was even more cohesive and personal, sometimes even psychological. It made me care about every major character in a way I never felt about a fictional character before, especially Zuko. Also I am glad to watch a show finalle that is as good or even better than it was hyped to be. Such an amazing closure.

I began a personal crusade to spread the word of how incredible this show is, and I am glad that I already converted 3 people in less than a week.

I began to watch Korra, but even before I read the mixed reactions, I knew that this kind of achievement is unique.

I foresee many repeated watches in the future :)

Jacob

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed the show so much! It's always fun hearing from people watching the first time. :) In scope and themes there are definitely some similarities to Star Wars but I think Avatar is able to use the long-form medium of television to great effect when it comes to telling an epic fantasy story. It gives so much room for the characters to develop and the story and world to unfold. But of course the characters are just phenomenally written regardless of the medium.

Bumping this because I've just finished watching the whole series over again, and I have really enjoyed going through this and reading everyone's comments. Thank you for the excellent write-ups!

Always, always cry in the Day of Black Sun, Part 2. This part in particular:

This is how you pay off a character arc. To see Zuko finally, finally see the abuse for what it was, to stop blaming himself for it, to confront his abuser. It was so worth everything we went through with Zuko. And Dante fucking sells it.

Just reading that back sends shivers up my spine. Zuko is one of the best-developed characters in television history, and that moment was so powerful. I love his relationship with Iroh most of all though, and that scene when they reunite in Sozin's Comet pt 1 makes me teary-eyed every time.

I began my first watch along with this thread, but only realized that at the end of the first book. I guess it was meant to be.

I heard the praise of this cartoon for so long yet never had the chance to watch or believed that it was worth of my time. Boy was I wrong.

Few movies, books or games had as much heart as this treasure. When I tried to compare this to something the word "Star Wars" came to my mind. There are similarities, sure, yet Avatar was even more cohesive and personal, sometimes even psychological. It made me care about every major character in a way I never felt about a fictional character before, especially Zuko. Also I am glad to watch a show finalle that is as good or even better than it was hyped to be. Such an amazing closure.

I began a personal crusade to spread the word of how incredible this show is, and I am glad that I already converted 3 people in less than a week.

I began to watch Korra, but even before I read the mixed reactions, I knew that this kind of achievement is unique.

I foresee many repeated watches in the future :)

I just saw it for the first time about a year ago. So far I have re-watched it in its entirely three times, and introduced it to my five year old daughter. What I really like about it is the strong sense of morals and justice, and it has really good, strong female characters in it.

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed the show so much! It's always fun hearing from people watching the first time. :) In scope and themes there are definitely some similarities to Star Wars but I think Avatar is able to use the long-form medium of television to great effect when it comes to telling an epic fantasy story. It gives so much room for the characters to develop and the story and world to unfold. But of course the characters are just phenomenally written regardless of the medium.

The thing I love most about Avatar and I noticed was lacking in Korra was the cohesive arc and plot progression across three seasons. You can tell the writers had it mapped out really clearly from the beginning, and it shows with barely a poor episode. Whereas Korra, as much as I enjoyed it, doesn't flow nearly as well.

Gaaraz

Zuko is one of the best-developed characters in television history, and that moment was so powerful. I love his relationship with Iroh most of all though
+1 to this, Zuko and Iroh were my favourite characters :) Loved the journey that Zuko went through from beginning to end.

I notice there are quite a few extras, comic books etc - any of them worth checking out?

Pluto

+1 to this, Zuko and Iroh were my favourite characters :) Loved the journey that Zuko went through from beginning to end.

I notice there are quite a few extras, comic books etc - any of them worth checking out?
I read The Promise and The Search, the first two of the canon continuations, they're really bad, I stopped after that, those comics are a waste of time.

The Legend of Korra is good, never as great as TLA but that was almost impossible to beat.

Gaaraz

I read The Promise and The Search, the first two of the canon continuations, they're really bad, I stopped after that, those comics are a waste of time.

The Legend of Korra is good, never as great as TLA but that was almost impossible to beat.
Oh! That's a real shame, thanks for the heads up. I'll avoid any of the side stuff then and go straight into Korra :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom