• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 10th Anniversary Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

I didn't even know that Avatar Day was considered a bad episode until I checked GAF. I like it a lot. The Great Divide is about the only thing I'd consider skipping, and even that one has some good stuff.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love Avatar Day.

"Community service! Serve your community!"

"No, Zuko! You must never give into dispair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Hilarious and emotional. Somehow it works.

Hamlet

Time to try and catch up.
Episode 18: The Waterbending Master
We finally get to the Northern Water Tribe and what a gorgeous looking city it is. The episode nicely sets everything up for the Book 1 finale whilst still being a very enjoyable watch. Some really inventive moves from Katara during the water bending fight. Nice use of callbacks also with Zhao noticing the Blue Spirit swords and then hiring the pirates from The Waterbending Scroll to take out Zuko.

Episode 19/20: The Siege of the North
Fantastic finale to finish off the season.
Lots and lots of great moments throughout this. I love the little heartfelt moment in Part 1 as Iroh tells Zuko he thinks of him as his son and that hug. Shows just how much these two have grown since the first episode. Zuko entering the Northern water tribe is another great thrilling sequence up there with some of the scenes in Blue Spirit.
Zhao is also at his best in these two episode and i'll always love that gag of Zhao just nonchalantly pushing Hahn off the ship. Plus he's actually successful at killing off the Moon spirit. Even if it didn't last long ha. Yue and what happens to her is done well enough given the short amount of time we have with her and
it did give us one of the shows greatest jokes in Book 3.
Don't know if anyone in has talked about this yet but the great use of colour in part 2. Makes for some gorgeous scenes. Especially so in the fight between Zhao and Zuko.
Koh and his scenes are a delight to watch. Talk about a creepy and menacing character " It's been a long time since I've added a child's face to my collection."
Shame he never appeared again.
And in comes the best villain at the end
Azula!

P5Iy7Rz.png
fYzfL6n.png

zExg240.png
9QwCs69.png

Ah Book 2 where the show really hits its stride.
Book 2
Episode 1: The Avatar State
"An awesome responsibility"
Pretty good episode to start off the season and a great introduction for Azula. The Sokka slight at the start always makes me laugh. Poor Sokka ha. Azula proves to be very much a worthy new Villain for the show. Ruthless smart and intimidating, the show does a great job of building her up in this episode. Iroh directing the lightning away is all types of awesome. We also gain more knowledge about the avatar state and with that knowledge it sort of nerfs it for the time being.
Fantastic final scene.

Episode 2: The Cave of Two Lovers
Secret Tunnel!
Great episode and one of the funniest avatar episodes of the series for me. So many great funny moments in this one. "Nobody react to what I'm about to tell you: I think that kid might be the Avatar!"
Love the dilemma that Iroh finds himself in at the start of the episode and then both argeeing that Azula is a much more feared prospect than being killed by the Earth Kingdom ha. We learn more about the effects of what this war is doing to this world from the nice healers. Makes it so much more tragic when Zuko decides to repay their help by robbing them :(

Episode 3: Return to Omashu
Solid episode.
Azula forms up her own team and what an awesome team it is. Sokka's plan to get everything out of the city ended up being pretty clever if pretty silly one ha. But bleh still not that big a fan of Bumi.
Pretty well done fight near the end as usual and nicely shows off the fighting styles of Azula's new teammate. First time we see Chi blocking. It also ends on quite a lovely note.

Episode 4: The Swamp
Decent enough episode I guess. Best thing about it is the introduction of
Toph.
Sadly not much Zuko and Iroh in this episode. Though Zuko does makes a surprise return as the Blue Spirit. Guessing Zuko used that guys gold piece coin to buy the mask ha. The fight with the swamp guy also ends a tad too abruptly for me.
The Momo and Appa sideplot was a lot of fun to watch. Dee Bradley Baker does such a great job as these two.

Episode 5: Avatar Day
"It's going to kill us with its awesome Avatar powers!"
Silly and fun episode. Whilst still having quite the effective emotional plot on the Iroh/Zuko side of things. Zuko leaving Iroh is pretty heartbreaking to watch even it is the right choice for Zuko. Then we cut right to the delightfully silly wheel of punishment ha.
"Come on, torture machine!"
"Eaten by bears!"
"Razor pit!"
"Community service! Please stop on community service!"
"Looks like it's boiled in oil"

Also the glorious return of foamy mouth guy yay!
3PCmZzD.gif
tumblr_lyojdjle941qfetl0o1_500.gif

"This is by far the worst town we've ever been to"

Jacob

Very impressive catch-up post, Hamlet. :D I apologize for being a little late with this; I've been really busy this past week.

206 "The Blind Bandit"

Original airdate: May 5, 2006
Written by: Michael Dante DiMartino
Directed by: Ethan Spaulding

207 "Zuko Alone"

Original airdate: May 12, 2006
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz
Directed by: Lauren MacMullan

These are two of my favorite episodes, not just of Book 2, but of the entire season. They're at the beginning of a very strong run of episodes, of course, but I still think it's kinda remarkable that they're back to back like this, so I was glad to find a way to schedule them for the same day. "The Blind Bandit" introduces many people's favorite character, of course, and "Zuko Alone" is one of the more unique episodes of the show for making Zuko the A-plot for once and not showing the Gaang at all. I'm curious to hear what you guys think of these.

Zuko is such a great and complex character, I absolutely loved Zuko Alone. It would be very difficult to choose, but my favorite episode of the series would either be that for Tales of Ba Sing Se.

Toothless

The Blind Bandit

Before I get to critiquing this episode, I first want to bring up something about the DVDs. This is the first episode that includes the “Previously on Avatar” segment on the DVDs. I watched it this time, but I think in the rest of the rewatch, I will purposely skip this segment as it does disrupt the narrative flow of watching so many episodes. Moving onto the episode, we get introduced to one of Avatar’s best characters and one of the coolest concepts of bending too. Toph’s blindness in such an inherent part of her character in a good way, as she is someone only this show can deliver. One of the biggest disappointments of the show is that
you never get a Bumi vs. Toph fight, even though I think this episode shows that clearly Toph would win.
The climax of this episode is the single biggest display of one person’s bending in the show so far, and it’s a sight to behold, making Earthbending for the first time in the show’s run really cool. There’s good humor in this episode with Sokka and the Boulder, but really, this episode is great because it’s a perfect introduction to one of the best characters in western animation, Toph Bei Fong.

Zuko Alone

A lot has been said about this episode, and it’s frequently considered one of the best, if not the best, episodes of Avatar. I personally love how it really works as a standalone story, no pun intended. I feel as though you could show this episode to someone completely unfamiliar with the show and they’d find some enjoyment out of it. The episode just works as both a spaghetti western homage (the wordage on that massively undersells the greatness of these segments) and a backstory for one of Avatar’s most emotionally rich characters. There’s tons of great stuff in this, the biggest thing being Ursa and how much depth she adds to the Fire Nation plot. This episode is one of the show’s darkest, and I love it so. I also enjoy the touch of young Zuko’s “Mom!” sounding incredibly close to Aang’s voice. The ending always hits hard with the final flashback and Zuko’s fight with the corrupt soldiers. I might not write as much on it as other episodes, but that’s simply because of how fantastic this episode really is.

Trey

The Blind Bandit

Before I get to critiquing this episode, I first want to bring up something about the DVDs. This is the first episode that includes the “Previously on Avatar” segment on the DVDs. I watched it this time, but I think in the rest of the rewatch, I will purposely skip this segment as it does disrupt the narrative flow of watching so many episodes. Moving onto the episode, we get introduced to one of Avatar’s best characters and one of the coolest concepts of bending too. Toph’s blindness in such an inherent part of her character in a good way, as she is someone only this show can deliver. One of the biggest disappointments of the show is that
you never get a Bumi vs. Toph fight, even though I think this episode shows that clearly Toph would win.
The climax of this episode is the single biggest display of one person’s bending in the show so far, and it’s a sight to behold, making Earthbending for the first time in the show’s run really cool. There’s good humor in this episode with Sokka and the Boulder, but really, this episode is great because it’s a perfect introduction to one of the best characters in western animation, Toph Bei Fong.

#teamBumi

Jacob

Unfortunately I don't have the time or energy right now to keep watching according to schedule while making introductory posts or little mini-reviews. If someone else wants to formally kick off each week's discussion with screencaps or whatever, they're more than welcome to. Otherwise the schedule is in the OP.

Syncytia

I blitzed season 1 up through episode 17...then got busy with school

Getting through finals and trying to watch all the seasons before my Amazon Prime sub runs out this weekend doesn't seem feasible :( And I'm moving to europe soon so I won't be resubbing :(

Hard to believe 10 years already. I bought most of the dvds. Missing the fire nation ones. I was hoping they would come out with another movie.

Toothless

Unfortunately I don't have the time or energy right now to keep watching according to schedule while making introductory posts or little mini-reviews. If someone else wants to formally kick off each week's discussion with screencaps or whatever, they're more than welcome to. Otherwise the schedule is in the OP.

I'll take on this responsibility, if no one else wants to:

208 The Chase

Original airdate: May 26, 2006
Written by: Joshua Hamilton
Directed by: Giancarlo Volpe

209 Bitter Work

Original airdate: June 2, 2006
Written by: Aaron Ehasz

These two episodes work really well together. Particularly, The Chase is a gem, but both manage to conclude the first half of Book 2 very well. Look for some more great western allusions and some real fun with both Toph's true introduction to the Gaang and Iroh giving some really good nuggets of wisdom in both episodes.

i'm several episodes into korra now and i'm not sure if i like it yet. on the one hand, it's interesting to see the bending culture juxtaposed with a modern day setting, and i always imagined bending would have been a popular sport. the animation and music is solid as well, but the characters aren't hitting any strong points yet.

i'm also not sure if i like the tone of the show, especially since its eastern influences seem muted. humanity is known to repeat its mistakes, so it's not that it's an unrealistic story. i guess i feel like it just kinda undermines the efforts of the protagonists in the previous one. the world is so much larger, and therefore it's a bit frightening how "small" the characters feel. back then, a 12 year old could take out an army. i don't see that happening in this era anymore.

maybe that added sense of realism is part of its appeal - a certain tension that grounds it and makes it more relatable in spite of the supernatural elements. but again, i'm still not sure how i feel about it yet.

edit: it's growing on me now. i'm still not fond of the main cast aside from korra, but the older cast is great and the plot is picking up. the action is also on another level.

Incredible show. I watched it for the first time last year. I'll need to rewatch it again soon. I still haven't got around to The Legend Of Korra but that's going to change very soon.

Toothless

The Chase

Wow. I keep on forgetting how great Book 2 is. This is the third episode in a row that would qualify as one of the truly great episodes of Avatar. The way all the plotlines intersect at the end works perfectly, but I’m getting ahead of myself. First, we see how Toph’s arrival has messed up the Gaang’s structure they’re used to. Toph and Katara start their long somewhat-rivalry, and let’s be honest, Katara doesn’t do anything wrong except be exhausted. Iroh and Toph’s conversation is one of Iroh’s best scenes in the whole series, showing how he is wise in all manners. It also continues the tradition of Book 2 being an oddly Western show, a creative decision that pays off greatly throughout the entire show, but especially the end fight of this episode. Speaking of which, the last fight is legitimately the most underrated fight in all Avatar, with seeing practically everyone take on Azula in a ridiculously great fight. Even Sokka lays a blow on her. It all leads up to poor Iroh getting hurt which is a cliffhanger on initial watch, but then all four elements attacking Azula in a glorious explosion. (On a random note, this is one of many times I wish Avatar was made in widescreen, as Sokka appears to also throw his boomerang at Azula; only visible when the camera zooms out.) Zuko, teary-eyed, screaming at everyone to leave is a fantastic moment and the last shot is whimsical in a good sense for what proceeded it. A truly great episode.

Bitter Work

Interesting fact: This is probably the #1 episode of Avatar I have seen the least. I never caught a rerun of this as a kid (my first run through Avatar didn’t happen until after the Book 2 finale and that long hiatus; it was reruns and learning the story out of order), and the first time I saw it, along with the King of Omashu, was on my first DVD rewatch. I don’t think I ever saw it air on television, which is a shame as it’s a pretty good training episode. Certainly, it’s the most traditional “training” episode Avatar ever did, with the water one being about pirates, and the fire one
really being about finding dragons.
Aang’s plotline is enjoyable enough, and it serves as a reminder that, for the first time since the season premiere, this is really Aang’s show. Sokka has amusing moments but his plotline is a bit hamfisted. I like Katara’s role in the episode though; a peaceful mediator between Aang and Toph. She doesn’t scold Toph which is nice. Toph is cool in this episode too, having good lines and actually being a good teacher. The real good stuff is in Iroh and Zuko’s plotline, where Iroh teaches Zuko about lightning and the four nations. His speech is well-written, and the ending, which could’ve easily been cheesy, actually works. It’s a decent episode that I know I personally underrate.

Jacob

Thanks for picking up the slack, Toothless. I was a bit surprised at the love for Avatar Day here, I was never especially fond of that episode. The whole Chin Village felt kind of forced. It did have some funny moments ("we used to be a great society before you killed our leader! Now look at us").

Zuko Alone is phenomenal and arguably the best episode of the series, but it's the introduction of Toph that kicks Book 2 up a gear. She's great, and her first episode is a classic, but the emerging dynamic of the Gaang really shines in "The Chase" and "Bitter Work". Ozai's Angels coming back is very welcome, and it's good to see Zuko and Iroh together again. "Bitter Work" in particular is a really solid episode IMO addressing the spiritual side of bending in addition to having some wonderful character moments.

Toothless

210 The Library

Original airdate: July 14, 2006
Written by: John O'Bryan

211 The Desert

Original airdate: July 14, 2006
Written by: Tim Hendrick

These two episodes were aired together called "Aang's Fury." A bit of a cheesy title, but one that's very fitting, especially for the second of these two. These episodes start the long Day of Black Sun plot, as well as kickstarting the ending arc of Book 2 with Appa's disappearance. They're full of great character moments, and intriguing side characters. Enjoy, because things about to get insane (for Book 2).

Toothless

The Library

Gonna stop writing so much about these episodes just because I’m getting tired of doing a huge analysis. That said, this is a great episode; particularly the third act is really good because all four members of the Gaang have exciting moments. In fact, that’s the best thing about this episode; everyone is at their best. The Professor is a very fun one-off character, and I’ve always liked Wan Shi Tong. The ending is heartbreaking obviously, a lot of it due to how Toph deals with the Sandbenders when they arrive. All in all, it’s definitely a great episode of Avatar, and the beginning of the greatness that is Book 2’s second half.

The Desert

I always forget how great this episode is. Sokka is funny, and the Zuko/Iroh plot is good, setting up some important stuff, but the really fantastic bits of this episode comes from Katara and Aang. Aang’s reaction is completely understandable and emotionally relevant, whereas Katara is just struggling to keep everyone together. This is probably Katara’s best episode really. Aang has some of his darkest moments ever, especially when he takes the bee’s life after it frees Momo. It’s an understated moment that’s pretty big for Aang. It all comes to a climax when Aang enters the Avatar State in rage, and Katara just looks on in despair. The hug with them both crying is a powerful ending, and the cut to credits feels very emotional. Fantastic.

I always have to debate with myself which I like more. The Library is so much cooler from a lore and world-building standpoint (as well as plot set-ups in general), but The Desert has one of the most powerful emotional moments in the series for me. And also one of the most hilarious.

Trey

No one acknowledged this episode so I figured I would give it some love. AD is frequently cited as one of the worst episodes in the series, but I never minded it much. Not the best animation, doesn't move the plot along, but it has an interesting premise. While Aang's is our protagonist, by the very nature of what the Avatar is, he's bound to have enemies across all his lives. Outside of that, it's typical Gaang stuff. I suppose that's why it gets the flack it does - it's just another episode - but I really enjoy watching these characters interact.

Also, Iroh drops a hunned flame emojis of wisdom.

-Deimos

No one acknowledged this episode so I figured I would give it some love. AD is frequently cited as one of the worst episodes in the series, but I never minded it much. Not the best animation, doesn't move the plot along, but it has an interesting premise. While Aang's is our protagonist, by the very nature of what the Avatar is, he's bound to have enemies across all his lives. Outside of that, it's typical Gaang stuff. I suppose that's why it gets the flack it does - it's just another episode - but I really enjoy watching these characters interact.

Also, Iroh drops a hunned flame emojis of wisdom.

Worst episode? Some people are crazy.

Worst episode? Some people are crazy.

I think it's because it isn't plot heavy. If you were watching the show in an abridged form (plot only), this would be an episode to skip. I think it's hilarious, and our first glimpse of Kyoshi was terrifying but also awesome.

-Deimos

I think it's because it isn't plot heavy. If you were watching the show in an abridged form (plot only), this would be an episode to skip. I think it's hilarious, and our first glimpse of Kyoshi was terrifying but also awesome.

There are plenty of filler episodes though, I don't see why this one stands out as being the worst. It's great just for Kyoshi alone.

epmode

f you were watching the show in an abridged form (plot only)

Ew.

If I'm ever at the point where I'm considering skipping a show's "filler" episodes, I'd just stop watching the show. TLA's filler has some of the best character bits too. I mean, you'd miss Tales of Ba Sing Se!

-Deimos

Yeah honestly I liked the filler episodes more than the plot focused ones. If I had to choose, I'd stick with the filler.

There are plenty of filler episodes though, I don't see why this one stands out as being the worst. It's great just for Kyoshi alone.
Like I said, I think it's great, but there's reasons people dislike it. I believe that's one of them. I still stand by that The Great Divide is a far worse episode, since the only thing it contributes is that Aang is willing to lie, but there are other episodes that convey that far better than that one (Bato of the Water Tribe).
Ew.

If I'm ever at the point where I'm considering skipping a show's "filler" episodes, I'd just stop watching the show. TLA's filler has some of the best character bits too. I mean, you'd miss Tales of Ba Sing Se!

People watch how they wanna watch. I've been debating doing that kind of run myself, just to see how the show holds up from a different viewpoint.

jtb

Banned
The only episode that can be completely, 100% classified as filler in that it both adds nothing of value character/plot/entertaintment-wise is the Great Divide.

-Deimos

Like I said, I think it's great, but there's reasons people dislike it. I believe that's one of them. I still stand by that The Great Divide is a far worse episode, since the only thing it contributes is that Aang is willing to lie, but there are other episodes that convey that far better than that one (Bato of the Water Tribe).

People watch how they wanna watch. I've been debating doing that kind of run myself, just to see how the show holds up from a different viewpoint.

The Great Divide was the first to pop into my head when I was thinking of other episodes I didn't like as much as Avatar Day.

Jintor

Avatar Day has the Rough Rhinos in it so it's automatically far better than the Great Divide.

And the Boomerang joke. It's a good joke.

Hamlet

I'd still say it's plot heavy on the Zuko/Iroh side of things as this is the episode where they part ways for the time being. Would be pretty confusing to miss such an emotional scene ha.
And yeah a pretty fun way to show off the power of Kyoshi.

]I'd still say it's plot heavy on the Zuko/Iroh side of things as this is the episode where they part ways for the time being.[/B] Would be pretty confusing to miss such an emotional scene ha.
And yeah a pretty fun way to show off the power of Kyoshi.

That's true, it does have that.

Toothless

212 The Serpent's Pass

Original airdate: September 15, 2006
Written by: Joshua Hamilton and Michael Dante DiMartino

213 The Drill

Original airdate: September 15, 2006
Written by: Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko

Another two episodes aired together; although, oddly, it is two different names if you want to call it a two-parter. On DVD, it's called "Journey to Ba Sing Se" but on release, it was "Secret of the Fire Nation." Of the two, the former is much more fitting as the "secret" ends up being something ultimately very minor in the overall scheme of the show. Alright, enough history, let's discuss!

Toothless

The Serpent’s Pass

I remember that this episode was paired with the following in the original airing and it makes sense. Where The Drill is all about action, The Serpent’s Pass is about emotion. There’s a lot of emotion in this episode, and it’s pretty thematically packed too. It’s not being subtle on the need for hope and second chances for Aang and Zuko respectively, but you know what? Subtlety can sometimes be overrated. There are some moments when you just feel in this episode, from Suki and Sokka’s interactions, to Katara trying to tell Aang to feel, to the ending when Aang and Katara hug yet again after the baby is born. It’s an episode full of great character moments (even Toph gets to launch the one ship I supported but failed to come true), and with cool displays of bending. It ends with a fantastic cliffhanger, although not really since the two episodes premiered together.

The Drill

The Drill is interesting because it’s set up as a super, super important episode, but really the only big thing that happens is Iroh making a mistake and Firebending some tea. It’s also kinda cool that there’s someone really reminiscent of Grand Moff Tarkin, but I’m not sure that’s a concrete plus. Not to say this episode is without merit; it’s an action episode with some really cool moments. The fight between Azula and Aang at the end is a particular highlight, and Toph gets in the best blind joke of the show so far. Sokka has a really good running gag, but really, this episode feels like set up for the awesome Ba Sing Se arc that’s about to begin.

Fink

BF and I just finished the last season of Korra and now I am re-watching the original Avatar to get the bad taste out of my mouth. Amazing this show is so old already.

Toothless

214 City of Walls and Secrets

Original airdate: September 22, 2006
Written by: Tim Hedrick

215 The Tales of Ba Sing Se

Original airdate: September 29, 2006
Written by: Joann Estoesta, Lisa Wahlander, Andrew Huebner, Gary Scheppke, Lauren MacMullan, Katie Mattila, Justin Ridge, Giancarlo Volpe, Elizabeth Welch Ehasz, John O'Bryan

216 Appa's Lost Days

Original airdate: October 13, 2006
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz

Now the Ba Sing Se arc truly begins with an awesome trilogy of episodes. The only episode of these that qualifies as traditional is the first, but that doesn't mean the others are bad. In fact, I'd say the differences of these three strengthen all of them, as all are very memorable episodes over the entire course of the series. There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

The Tales of Ba Sing Se and Appa's Lost Days are very emotional episodes from opposite ends of the spectrum. The former is very heartwarming and the latter is very sad. Both are really good.

City of Walls and Secrets kicks off a plot thread that I found to be very welcome in this series. Very much a political thriller, and this is never really mimicked in this series or TLoK. It's a very enjoyable storyline overall, and this episode does a good job of starting it by just being creepy.

Jacob

When we were making the schedule for this thread I was concerned that this week's batch of episodes was just too strong. I think the aforementioned variety between them makes it good though. "City" is masterful (that Jet/Zuko fight especially) and "Tales" is on my shortlist for best episode of the show, as well as introducing my favorite one-off character (Jin). I don't rank, "Appa's Lost Days" quite as high, but I think it's still really solid and impressive for what they crafted around a non-speaking character.

Also, shout out to many the writers of "Tales", none of whom worked primarily in the writers' room.

I feel like an earth nation refugee coming to Ba Sing Se posting in this thread after KorraGAF got shut down lol.

Anyway, I really need to catch up. These episodes in season two are the ones that originally hooked me when the show was airing back in the day.

-Deimos

I feel like an earth nation refugee coming to Ba Sing Se posting in this thread after KorraGAF got shut down lol.

Anyway, I really need to catch up. These episodes in season two are the ones that originally hooked me when the show was airing back in the day.

haha yeah. What's the situation with the Avatar community thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom