• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Tizoc

Well seeing as SMT games are more suited for marathon-like streaming, I recall another series that'd be interesting to see speedrun
Ys game, surely there are a handful that are speedrun-worthy

Also Styx: Master of Shadows got an update for a 'speedrun' mode, so that's another game I hope we see in future GDQs.

So running through some news feeds and I found gaming.moe had some recomended runs that they feel are underrated:
http://gaming.moe/?p=586
They sure were spot on about the pre-written Umihara Kawase commentary. Maybe you'll find a run or two that you would have otherwise missed. Sadly the embedded videos do contain some audio desynced youtube uploads so use the various video links you can find in the OP. The Twitch VOD has been pretty much fine for me (a few bits are hit by content ID but no runs I've watched).

Phatcorns

Does anyone know what capture hardware they use? I've been using the Blackmagic Intensity Pro, but it's terrible for analog stuff. Whatever they used looked fantastic for analog.

Did anyone get their ADGQ shirts yet? I ordered them the day before the event started and still haven't gotten them. Not getting any tracking information either since it's a international package.

SamuraiX-

Holy shit Witwix has exploded in popularity, he had 2500 viewers tonight.

He's been averaging +2,000 a night the entire week so far. Pretty awesome to see after his great showing at AGDQ. How long has he been in the speedrunning scene?

Everyone go check him out: http://www.twitch.tv/witwix

He's doing a let's play of RE6 with his gf later. But be warned, this guy has like literally no filter lol

fZnTf3H.png

IgEWe08.png

3R47bdV.png

XD

LordAlu

Did anyone get their ADGQ shirts yet? I ordered them the day before the event started and still haven't gotten them. Not getting any tracking information either since it's a international package.
I'm in the UK and I ordered mine like half an hour after they went up. They e-mailed me to confirm my address (as it's going to my work place so there was no door number) on Wednesday morning and shipped Wednesday afternoon. Just waiting for them to arrive now.

Ferrio

Banned
He's been averaging +2,000 a night the entire week so far. Pretty awesome to see after his great showing at AGDQ. How long has he been in the speedrunning scene?

XD

Not sure. I've had him followed since last GDQ, and his stream would have like a couple hundred people at most.

Mine just came in. I wish i had picked up that Kaizo Mario shirt.
DVu5GiY.jpg

Whats going on with the raffle winners?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The blindfolded OoT kid dungeons is still the craziest moment for me. That was ridiculous.

I'm ready for SGDQ already.

Xeteh

The Boshy run had an entertaining runner and the developer commentary for the Shovel Knight run was amazing. If you like hilarious glitches then check out the Sonic block runs too.

witwix is an amazing streamer, Boshy was awesome. The Tetris block was mind blowing. Shovel Knight/They Bleed Pixels was killer for the awesome dev commentary.

border

I doubt I'll ever have time to watch it -- how does the Final Fantasy VII speed run work?

It seems like it would be difficult to really blast through that game due to the leveling system, the extensive story sequences, and random encounters.

RagnarokX

I doubt I'll ever have time to watch it -- how does the Final Fantasy VII speed run work?

It seems like it would be difficult to really blast through that game due to the leveling system, the extensive story sequences, and random encounters.

Basically they played it straight for 2 hours until they got to the Fort Condor area and then they loaded a pre-made save file where they were at Mt. Nibel, game overed, reloaded the speed run save file, and won a random battle, which warped them to Mt. Nibel since the location data from file 2 was still loaded. Then they went to the overworld and saved and quit so they could load a 3rd file where they were at north crater. They got another game over and reloaded the speedrun file, won a battle against Yuffie, and then warped to north crater. They went to the bottom of north cave, then back up to the Highwind. They went after Ultima Weapon, who, due to the warping, had 0HP and required them to use a potion on so that it would have 100HP and be possible to kill. They got Ultima Weapon from it and then went to Bone Village to get the W-item materia and the key to Sector 5. They went to Sector 5 to encounter thief enemies so that the enemies would steal a source item so they could use the W-Item duplication glitch to duplicate a bunch of speed and power source items and permanently raise their stats with them. They got 99 power sources and 197 speed sources. They made Cloud super strong and super fast with the sources. Went to Kalm to get a megalixer to duplicate. Flew to Gongaga Village to get the Deathblow materia and steal a spiderweb from an enemy which casts slow on all enemies. Then they loaded a save file where they were at the bottom of north cave so they could warp there with the Yuffie warp glitch again. This caused some funny glitches when the game loaded disc 1 FMVs instead of the correct ones. They beat Jenova and Sephiroth and then did omnislash because people paid for it. 2:57:02.39.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I need to continue the Battleblock run. It's long, but hilarious. "So, do you guys want to talk about the story?" Dev: "No."

My shirts finally came in the mail. A bit eyebrow raising how long it took since it came from Chicago which is not that far from Toronto. I bought them literally on the day they were announced too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I finally watched the Super Metroid run. So glad Save the Animals won. I've never seen it done. Cant believe there was a $10,000 donation for it right at the end.

This isn't related to the speed run itself but I enjoyed the non-speedrun parts like them talking about some of the PC version differences like the slightly upgraded graphics so Sephiroth has a mouth now that is making an :O face all the time.

They did also choose to bring up the old classic debate of best Final Fantasy but also chose not to really read out the joke comments like "Die hard is the best FF game" (which plagued this sort of thing a few years ago, I think someone did "Earthbound is best Dragon Quest game" back then which I enjoyed) but still kept some of the funny FF ones in like "FF All the bravest is best FF game because I like to give Square-Enix lots of money" and talked a bit about FF speedrunning too; longest game (FFX because cutscene skips), worst game to run (which it is FFIX because a boss battle 90% of the way into the game can just one shot you if it wants to, there is a gif in this thread of that happening on a stream)

But yeah it is a fairly long haul so they had to fill it with something, especially the relatively glitch free first 2 hours (I believe that is up to leaving Midgar, skipping the Chocobo then doing some Sephiroth flashbacks) and I'd say watch some other run if you have time.

To add to what RagnarokX said they classify it as New Game + due to the save stuff. I initially missed that and was baffled when they loaded another save then was like "its said New game + for two hours and I did not notice, I hang my head in shame"

past AGDQ shirts I have ordered took about 2-3 weeks, but I did not order any this year but I think the post times should be about the same as before.

I haven't, mine were dispatched nearly two weeks ago too. They take ages to reach the UK though, I think they're sent by carrier pigeon.

Thanks for the replies. Mine arrived today so hopefully everyone will get theirs today, if not soon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Ocarina speedrun at the end of the marathon is impressive from a skill level, but Jesus, the couch is boring as fuck. There are just long stretches of silence when ZFG is doing chores like Skulltula gathering. I was expecting more talk about the game from Cosmo at least.

LordAlu

The Ocarina speedrun at the end of the marathon is impressive from a skill level, but Jesus, the couch is boring as fuck. There are just long stretches of silence when ZFG is doing chores like Skulltula gathering. I was expecting more talk about the game from Cosmo at least.
Properly thought out commentary can make the world of difference - I'd kinda like to see a setup similar to fighting game tournaments, where they have two people on a desk with mics talking about what's going on as the run occurs. Heck, they could even read out the donations too.

Weetrick

Properly thought out commentary can make the world of difference - I'd kinda like to see a setup similar to fighting game tournaments, where they have two people on a desk with mics talking about what's going on as the run occurs. Heck, they could even read out the donations too.

Ideally that's what the couch is for.

LordAlu

Ideally that's what the couch is for.
Ideally yes, but most of the time it simply boils down to just people sat watching the game and barely talking. Properly planned out commentary makes a huge difference to the viewer's enjoyment of what they're seeing, which is why I'd like to see them try having a proper commentary table, e-sport style, for full commentating and donation reading.

TUSR

Banned
This is one reason the Ninja Gaiden relay race was so great. We had two really solid, interesting, well-prepped commentators. Ditto the Super Metroid 4-way race from SGDQ, though obviously that was also helped a ton by the incredible finish.

Coincidence that Sinister1 commentated both...

Top Bottom